Texas Fishing Forum

Beware....

Posted By: redskeeter190

Beware.... - 04/13/15 01:13 PM

I've noticed a trend with the new Strike King crankbaits......over the last couple of years, they have switched to the "oval" split rings....I've experienced a problem with them.....everytime I tighten the knot...moistened (of course). the line breaks......I thought it was due to poor line.....I switched line....same thing.....thought it was the palomar knot....changed to the improved Trilene.....same thing.....then I switched out the oval split ring, to an aftermarket oval ring......no more line breaks....there must be something in the production of the rings that makes them have an edge and not a rounded effect....I notified SK and asked them if they had any complaints....of course I got the generic answer......"no...but, thanks for contacting us"....any of you experience the same thing?????
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 01:18 PM

I change the hooks out, other than that Ive had zero issues
Posted By: ShamrockSmith

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 01:19 PM

Just have to be careful your line isn't getting caught in the split ring opening when cinching the line down. The slightest little nick in the line from the sharp ends of the metal will greatly weaken your knot. Tie slowly and pay attention to knot as it cinches down and be sure to wet the knot as your cinching down.
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 01:23 PM

I'll see strike king next week I'll ask about it.

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 01:30 PM

I'm extremely meticulous with my knots....It wasn't operator error....if it were....it would have been replicated with the aftermarket rings......IMO
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 01:48 PM

One more good reason to use clips...
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 01:52 PM

Never break mine off. Are you using Flurocarbon?

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Never break mine off. Are you using Flurocarbon?

12# 100% FC....12# Big Game....
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 02:10 PM

If you are using FC, regular knots will break. You really should try the fluourocarbon knot. I used to have line breaks all the time and now I don't. Here is the knot that I use. It is absolutely the best knot there is for FC.

FC Knot
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: KVS
Just have to be careful your line isn't getting caught in the split ring opening when cinching the line down. The slightest little nick in the line from the sharp ends of the metal will greatly weaken your knot. Tie slowly and pay attention to knot as it cinches down and be sure to wet the knot as your cinching down.

^^^^ definitely tie on the opposite side of the split ring opening.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Beware.... - 04/13/15 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Originally Posted By: KVS

^^^^ definitely tie on the opposite side of the split ring opening.

The oval rings are different.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum