Texas Fishing Forum

Dallas Area Bass Help and First Boat Recommendation

Posted By: Yankee Fool

Dallas Area Bass Help and First Boat Recommendation - 04/10/15 10:41 AM

Howdy,

I'm very excited to be moving to Dallas in June to start residency at UTSW. Actually, what I am really looking forward to is buying my first boat and spending every day off bass fishing in the great state of Texas.

I'll be renting an apartment somewhere near the hospital, and won't be able to store my boat at home. So I am wondering what lakes I should start with and, consequently, what area around Dallas would be the most convenient for storing a boat to provide easy access to a handful of lakes. From looking at the map I am guessing eastern suburbs to set me up to fish Ray Hubbard, Tawakoni, and Fork. Any feedback would be great!

On another note, I am thinking of starting with a used 18-19 foot fiberglass boat with a 150. My budget is 15-20k. Is that a good choice for Dallas area lakes? Also, what do you think about spending my entire budget on the boat and motor vs. spending 15k on the boat and 5k on electronics and a power pole? How about 1 power pole vs. 2? I've seen some good options available on TFF and Boat Trader, but if you're selling one or know of a good one, please message me.

Thanks in advance for helping out this poor Yankee newbie.

Jeremy
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Dallas Area Bass Help and First Boat Recommendation - 04/10/15 12:06 PM

A 15K used boat can be a lot of boat for a first time boat buyer. I fish out of a 5K boat with 4k in electronics and 1 Talon and do just fine. I dont feel you need a newer boat to be able to go out and fish. I would make sure what ever you buy, make sure it keeps water out, and you get the motor checked out by a mechanic before you buy. This would be the worst of the expenses you would have to fix. Don't be afraid to ask for help, and definitely take it to the lake before you buy. As far as a power pole or Talon, not a needed item at first, but a nice bonus if they are on there already. I live on the east side, 2 min. from Ray Hubbard and gladly drive right by it to fish other lakes. East Texas lake tend to hold water better than west, so I would stay east. There are a lot of nice lakes east of town. Bob Sandlin, Cypress Springs, Fork, Twok
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Dallas Area Bass Help and First Boat Recommendation - 04/10/15 12:28 PM

You will get a bunch of info from the good folks on the forum. Welcome to TX, and take your time finding the right boat. In your first year you are not going to have a bunch of free time, and I share that as a Dad who has a son and daughter in-law in their first and second years of their residency. You can get a very nice rig for the money you are looking to spend, but do not buy anything without an on the water test, and a thorough review by a good mechanic. Many will offer their opinions, so here's mine. Go see Tommy at Rockwall Marine and he will take good care of you and whatever rig you purchase. I would personally look to spend within your budget and buy a slightly older boat that will allow you to extend the warranty on the motor and still stay within budget. The East TX lakes mentioned earlier are very nice lakes and the fishing is generally pretty good out there.

Tight lines!

Tom
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: Dallas Area Bass Help and First Boat Recommendation - 04/10/15 03:11 PM

There are some good options for storing your boat at Lake Fork. I used to keep my boat there in a secure private shed for about $70 a month. There is a nice place next door to the Burnin' Stump Motel which is very nice. Plus, you can overnight at the Burnin' stump when you want to fish a couple of days. Great owner, very nice, clean motel.

You should be able to find a really nice used bassboat for $15K. Just take your time, and be sure to water test it AND have it checked by a qualified mechanic.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Dallas Area Bass Help and First Boat Recommendation - 04/10/15 04:27 PM

Best place to look for used boats.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/boats4sale.htm
Posted By: Yankee Fool

Re: Dallas Area Bass Help and First Boat Recommendation - 04/11/15 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. Love the Southern Hospitality!!!
Posted By: iangler365

Re: Dallas Area Bass Help and First Boat Recommendation - 04/12/15 02:08 AM

Fork is my favorite of any lake in Texas. On almost any day you can catch fish, you just have to find what they are biting. Ray Hubbard is ok for Sand Bass & catfish but I never have done any good on large mouth bass and I grew up 5 miles from it. Tawakoni is a great catfish lake, I agree with reply above go east for bass fishing. As for storage it is a hit & miss. Its a drag not having your boat at your house but, I had one stolen out of my driveway in 1985, that was one of the worst days of my life, I had the boat 3 weeks, but hey it is what it is. As for the first boat diffidently get it checked out it you buy used. If you have good credit you can get a new one and put some cash down on it, get what you want, plan on keeping it till you learn more about boating and upkeep, electronics then you can trade up. Boats tend to hold more value if it is maintained and kept out of the weather. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum