Texas Fishing Forum

delete please

Posted By: TXWingStinger

delete please - 04/10/15 12:23 AM

Delete please
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 12:36 AM

They ride real good. One of the best rides out there.
Posted By: Tjhook

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 12:49 AM

I have a 93 18ft and love ride.... rides great and gets moving pretty good!!!I'd buy another
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 12:52 AM

I have a 18 footer and the ride is great.
Posted By: T-Slab

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 01:01 AM

They suck
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 01:20 AM

Never heard much bad about them other than they are slow. I believe they have excellent build quality and good ride. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good one.

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: T-Slab
They suck

Mind telling me why they suck? Just slow or what? Thanks to everyone for the input.
Posted By: T-Slab

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 01:57 AM

Rode in one at tournament and it was the worst riding boat I have ever been in. Got soaked and pounded. Wasn't even what I would call a rough day on the water. To top it off we had several problems with the livewell systems and wiring in the boat. Seemed like nothing would work on the boat! Spent several minutes trying to get lights to work that morning.
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 02:50 AM

good evening,

i have a 2014, 181 w/merc 150 4 st....love it smoothest ride i've been in in over 40 yrs of bass fishing....2-3 ft chop at martin creek. 50 on the gps on martin creek in the sloppy stuff...60 on the gps loaded, smooth water at pirkey...

i think they hold the record from st. louis to new orleans, on the mississippi river....don't know where someone heard they were slow...mine empty, at fork the day i picked it up...61 on the gps....23 turbo ss prop....1 ft chop......hole shot about 3 seconds to roll over, 10 seconds to 40 mph...

last of the family owned boat builders left, NO BANKRUPTCIES..40 yrs.....joe and his dad are great people(been to the factory in richland, mo) jim(plant guy) and michele(order lady) are great....right now the have 40 anny pricing on some great boats....choice of engines, depending on dealer....FACEBOOK and bass boat central for additional foto's...

all glass with 4" composite transom...many extra's and options...

j and j marine in alba, tx and blakes boat in corsicana, tx...

here mine...........at the factory

at the lake.....

boarding steps was a $240 option for me....i'm 69 yrs young....lol

any question you can PM me or call jessie at J and J marine..........I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM...just really like 'em

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2

Posted By: Big Kev

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 03:55 AM

My first boat was a 17' 1983 charger when I was 19. Paid $2300 for it in '97. I took that boat into water I had no business going. I fished the Neches river in Port Neches and even took it to the Sabine Pass jetties more than a few times. Ran to the short rigs once in 7' swells, everything was great until I stopped...... It was smoother in roof water than the 21' Ranger I have now. The reason being my old charger had a full V bottom (a lot smoother in rough water) and my ranger has the semi V. The full V allows for the bottom of the boat to displace more water and settle in to the wave better than the semi V. Not to get technical but when calculating a force over time "time" is a huge factor. The full V gives you more time before the water hits a wall (flat bottom part of boat). But the full V draw back is you can not go into as shallow of water as you can with say a skeeter. Think about the ride difference between a flat bottom boat in rough water compared to any fiberglass bass boat...... Long story short I thought they quict making them for some reason. Now that I know they are still building them I am thinking my next boat might just be a new Charger.
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 05:18 AM

I have owned 2 chargers. I'm on my 2nd.
Without a doubt the best riding boat I've ever been in. The way it handles a mean chop is incredible. It's a slow boat ONLY when you're trimmed down and you've got the "V" in the water, when you trim up and get it on pad she will take off!

Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 05:22 AM

My last boat was a 1990 189 charger and I must say it handled rough water better than any boat I've ever rode in was pretty heavy but did the job just fine for me and If it wasn't for me getting a new boat I would still have it.
Posted By: Ftdbcb4life

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 07:42 AM

We had two chargers in the past I a 96 195 and then the Same but I believe a 2007. They are very good well made boats. One thing to realize though is that charger changed there haul I'm not exactly sure what year it was but notice how all the charger owners that responded to you have the old original haul except one. I believe though with a 2000 you should be okay though. And for the one comment about them being bad boat any inexperienced operator can make the experience of a new boat horrible if they are inexperienced drivers of the boat they are operating. It's okay he probably owns a bird anyway and thinks it's the best. Sorry that was a low blow could not help my self
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 12:01 PM

I have always heard that Charger was a very well made boat, one thing that appears tom is the front deck is narrow.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 12:03 PM

Rode in one at tournament and it was the worst riding boat I have ever been in. Got soaked and pounded. Wasn't even what I would call a rough day on the water. To top it off we had several problems with the livewell systems and wiring in the boat. Seemed like nothing would work on the boat! Spent several minutes trying to get lights to work that morning.

I have never heard anyone say that a Charger rode bad till now. It sounds like your partner didn't know how to drive the boat?

What was wrong with the live well? Poor design from Charger or something else?
What was wrong with the wiring? Was it the original wiring that Charger installed in the boat or had it been altered?

Some people never maintain their boat, could that have been part of the problem?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 01:44 PM

I am on my third Charger. Have owned a 195, 396 and now have a 596. If it a 21' boat it's a 496 or a 596 which are both great hulls. They are both great riding dry hulls. The 396 and the 797 are their HP hulls, fast but rougher and wetter. My 2013 596 is 21'10" and has a 250 SHO. With 2 people it will top speed at 74mph. It has the deep V same as the 496, it will eat up some rough water. Trust me, I would not have owned 3 if I didn't think it was one of the best boats made.

All 3 of mine were new from the factory. Great boats, your friend will love his if he decides to buy.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 02:03 PM

I had a Charger for 17 years still was in great condition only reason I sold it was to buy a Skeeter so we could Fish the Skeeter tournament. It was the best riding boat I ever had and held up second to none at times I wish I would never got rid of it especially when the wind is blowing. Actually the best boat I ever had.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 02:32 PM

My first bass boat was a 91 charger with a 200 optimax. It'd run 65, handle rough water and seemed well built. It was better than my 02 TR20 w/ 225 but not better than my Ranger Z521. I had no reason to sell it and regret doing so for the Triton.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 02:34 PM

Thought they were related to the old Champion bass boats with transom cut back on sides and hull similarities.

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 03:55 PM

Appreciate all the comments guys, we met with the owner this morning and took a little test drive and found out a little more about the boat. It's a 2000 595, johnson 225 HO. It's a great looking boat and handled the water excellent just like you guys have been saying. I liked the way the boat was layed oyt myself. Huge casting deck and plenty of storage. If all goes right today he should have the boat this evening. Once again, appreciate the help guys.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 04:21 PM

I like the looks of the new 797 model & would like to test drive one.
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 06:52 PM

Sounds more like an owner/driver problem/ If I can take my 16'10" 2001 Charger in some rough water and not get soaked then it's not the boat!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 09:22 PM

A friend of mine had a 1995 195 and the only complaint I had was the rear deck was too small. It was a wet boat but I think that had more to do with my friends inability to drive a boat. He would never trim up so always plowing and getting us wet.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/10/15 10:58 PM

Always have been one of my favorite boats.

They are one of the top 3 riding boats made, IMO
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/11/15 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: GoArmy

Sounds more like an owner/driver problem/ If I can take my 16'10" 2001 Charger in some rough water and not get soaked then it's not the boat!

Sounds to me that he is a troll, and has never been in a Charger, they should keep you dry even when trimmed down.
Posted By: big fish2

Re: Anybody know anything about charger boats? - 04/11/15 03:15 AM

I had a 20' Charger with a 250 hpdi rides better than my 21' Ranger. Charger boats could pay more attention to detail as far as the 2002 models went IMO but other than that its a damn fine ride.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum