Texas Fishing Forum

which lake for a new boater?

Posted By: Superslab

which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 05:43 PM

I am new to boating and with the number of lakes in the area I have a few questions. Do most of you pay the yearly launch fee for one lake and primarily fish that lake most of the season, or do you just pay the launch fee at the lake you are going to fish and travel to many lakes during the season?

Since I am fairly new to large lake bass fishing would you recommend I stick with one lake and learn it before going to numerous lakes? I'm not completely new to bass fishing just not experienced fishing larger lakes.

I'm located in the Frisco/Plano area and would realistically fish Ray Roberts, Lewisville, and Grapevine. So do I stick with one and learn it, and if so what lake would you make home base?

Thanks!
Posted By: Drummond1

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 05:50 PM

You can pay annually on Lewisville (even better price for senior) but the bass fishing is tough and there are lot's of skiers, jet skiers and from time to time even float planes on the lake. Not great for a new boater.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 05:58 PM

State park pass, use at multiple lakes. Pay for the ramps I need if I want to fish "one-offs". But mostly, I like "free" public ramps. You pay registration fees for them, may as well use them!
Posted By: BAMABASS

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 06:10 PM

Grapevine would be a good lake it's not very big and thre is some good fishing there. I think at most ramps there is a launch fee that you are required to pay (and the lake patrol checks for your pass frequently) so be sure the pass is visible in your windsheild. But, like all local lakes, they will get busy during the warmer months. Hope this helps. fish
Posted By: Superslab

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 06:20 PM

Thanks for the input -

Lewisville would be the most convenient but I don't see much activity posted on the forum from that lake.
Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 07:34 PM

I would make the trip to Ray Roberts. Not nearly as crowded as Lewisville on weekends and from my experiences fishing has almost always been better.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 07:37 PM

You can take Eldorado and about 10 minute past Preston they have brand new and nice boat ramp at Lake Lewisville in Little Elm, it's on your right before you cross bridge. Also you can take 121 and put in at pier 121 marina off 121 in Lewisville. This will put you close to the damn.

Lewisville has a lot sandbass and hybrids and good amount of bass
Posted By: David Burton

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 09:03 PM

You're close enough there, don't pass up Bonham. $10 for a year, nice little lake for the windy months, traffic is OK, but there are some skiers/boarders out there!
Posted By: ou.sooner

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Minner Bucket
I would make the trip to Ray Roberts. Not nearly as crowded as Lewisville on weekends and from my experiences fishing has almost always been better.

I'll take this one step further. Go to the north side of Ray Roberts. The Johnson Branch of the state park has a nice ramp and is not as crowded as the south side. Good access to coves and open water from there.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 10:21 PM

Don't be intimidated by a "big" lake as far as fishing goes. Unless you have a milk run, don't worry about the whole lake. Just pick one area and learn it.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: which lake for a new boater? - 03/20/15 10:39 PM

I like changing it up, fishing different lakes. I fish about once a month with a small bass club that fishes 10 or 11 different lakes per year within a 2-2.5 hour radius of DFW. I don't know any one lake real well, but I'm familiar with a variety of lakes, and that's the way I like it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum