Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!!

Posted By: CapN Ron

Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/08/15 11:23 PM

Fished Lake Conroe this weekend for the first time. I've heard the stories and this lake didn't disapoint!!! My buddy and I fished the Oakley Big Bass Tournament and it was incredible! All but a few hours took an 8+ to win with a 10.74 to win the whole thing. I'll be coming down here more now. Definitely one of the gems we have in Texas....you Houston folks take care of this pond, it's a dang good one!!!

Oh, the Oakley tournament was as well ran as any I've seen, Scott Gordon is a guy I have known for awhile and did a heck of a job. I'll fish it again for sure
Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 12:21 AM

Grew up fishing there a bunch, when you hit it right it can be awesome, they definitely live there. But kind of like your old stomping grounds, it knows how to humble you as well.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 12:45 AM

It sucks compared to what it used to be with hydrilla if that tells you anything. And it's still one of the better lakes we have in east texas. Congrats on a great weekend.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
It sucks compared to what it used to be with hydrilla if that tells you anything. And it's still one of the better lakes we have in east texas. Congrats on a great weekend.

It was awesome with the hydrilla. Ten 30# stringers in Bassnbucks. Not a SAL since they killed the hydrilla. Still has some pretty heavy fish in it.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:23 AM

It was fun, and boy did the fish cooperate for some people. I've fished it several times and this year I finally had me a money fish on, got off at the boat, I laid down and almost cried, it was a good one.

See y'all next year!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:27 AM

I tip my hat to all of the contestants that fished that lake in this weather today.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:35 AM

How many people were throwing chatterbaits at that bridge where honey hole was filmed?
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:37 AM

2000 anglers and one DD. Enjoy, but I'll pass.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan
2000 anglers and one DD. Enjoy, but I'll pass.

Thank you TPWD "vegetation control".
Posted By: Wrangler1

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:47 AM

how many total entries did they end up with?
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: E5Zero
It was fun, and boy did the fish cooperate for some people. I've fished it several times and this year I finally had me a money fish on, got off at the boat, I laid down and almost cried, it was a good one.

See y'all next year!

I had the same thing happen to me this morning, a 6 pounder cry
Posted By: brett8388

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Kelley
Definitely one of the gems we have in Texas....you Houston folks take care of this pond, it's a dang good one!!!

WTF are you talking about? TP&W took care of this lake a few times now with thousands of grass carp.

Come back any weekend in the summer and you'll see how Houston takes care of this lake.
Posted By: kdr2002

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 02:28 AM

Is this a troll? Conroe sucks.
Posted By: Scott Gordon

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 03:30 AM

What an amazing weekend and it was great seeing so many North Texas anglers fishing this event as it is my favorite each year. I don't have the official total number of entries but it was close to (800) which was a significant increase over last year, and there would have likely been more had the weather forecast not been so bleak. I also applaud all of you that gutted it out today in the cold and relentless rain.

Lake Conroe did not disappoint as we saw a lot of big bass in the 6-8 pound range. The recent cold fronts pushed the bass off the beds, but those that either caught them or attended the weigh-in saw just how fat and healthy these bass actually were. Had we not had this stretch of cold weather this event could have turned into a sight fishing shootout! With the warming trend this week Lake Conroe is about to explode!

Ronnie, it was great seeing you again and you fished a great tournament. Thanks for the kind words! As always I can't wait until next year for next Oakley Conroe event. I will likely be back at Conroe on March 22nd hosting the next BLT at Stowaway Marina.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 03:31 AM

My friend weighed 35lbs down there this year but that lake sucks to some. roflmao
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 03:39 AM

Conroe can be tough but I get a chuckle from the naysayers and those who are constantly complaining about this fishery. Is it as easy as it was when it was full of grass, of course not. However the statistics from our events simply tell the real story. It's a solid lake and it certainly shines this time of year.

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 06:38 AM

We pulled up to our first spot at almost 8am (not in any hurry) and within an hour caught an 8.32, 8.16, and 6.37 and left to the weight-in where we had to stay for almost 4hrs to make sure we won....I don't know how you measure the quality of a fishery, but by my standards....that's a dang good lake! I've seen lakes that suck, this ain't one of em.

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 06:39 AM

See y'all next year!

That's horrible! This kind of tournament makes those sting
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Kelley

See y'all next year!

That's horrible! This kind of tournament makes those sting

Thanks Ronnie! It was a good one on a KVD 1.5, hooks were outside and well, it happens. Oh and maybe I need to follow you!

As to the Wilcox bridge, not sure how many fished it, but it got a lot of traffic!

The cool part is I took a buddies 17 year old son, had never fished in a bass boat, loves to fish, and I think he had a good time. He handled Saturday okay, but Sunday we shut down by noon. It was tough, but he caught several fish and did well. Still learning, but it was awesome to share with him.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 12:51 PM

I caught the most fish I've ever caught on Conroe Saturday. Nothing bigger than 3.5 though but it seems like it's setting up nicely!
Posted By: cat-aholic

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 01:31 PM

Congrats on that fishing trip, hope to fish Lake Conroe one day thumb
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 10:33 PM

Congrats Ronnie!

Conroe can be tuff, but it is a great lake! It does get a little hairy in the summer time on the weekends though, just have to go early be and off by noon.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 10:44 PM

I had a blast. Nothing big enough to weigh but did like Micky D's on the lake.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 11:03 PM

Conroe remains a good to outstanding fishery for quality largemouth. Numbers aren't always extraordinary and spots don't replenish as quickly, but that lake is loaded with good fish. You just have to be selective of the days and, more importantly, times of day you fish.
OBBT has always held their events during prime fishing times of year at Conroe.

Go to TTBC.com and look at Conroe weights from past events. Conroe is a very strong lake.

Live scoring combined with Papa's on the Lake, great food and drink lakeside +the beautiful scenery, c'mon man! Just doesn't get any better.

Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Conroe remains a good to outstanding fishery for quality largemouth. Numbers aren't always extraordinary and spots don't replenish as quickly, but that lake is loaded with good fish. You just have to be selective of the days and, more importantly, times of day you fish.
OBBT has always held their events during prime fishing times of year at Conroe.

Go to TTBC.com and look at Conroe weights from past events. Conroe is a very strong lake.

This^^^

It's always better to use actual stats vs random opinions. The stats regularly show that in both stringer and big bass events that Lake Conroe is a quality fishery.

Check out the following links and you'll see that Conroe stacks up pretty well against our Florida event on the Harris Chain where we just saw a record number of fish weighed in two weeks ago.

http://oakleybigbass.com/results/2015----LAKE-CONROE-TX

http://oakleybigbass.com/results/2015---HARRIS-CHAIN-FL
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/09/15 11:15 PM

Conroe has some giants in it. Ask any of the locals that truly know the lake. I wish my schedule would line up to fish one of these events. They seem fantastic. I just wish it still had the hydrilla haha.
Posted By: Citrus Bomber

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 01:38 AM

Had a great time as always fishing the Oakley. Didn't really get into them as I liked but that's fishing. Just wish one year Mother Nature would cooperate. Never really could get a pattern together this year. I fish caney creek all day Saturday with only 3 small ones caught. Sunday I only fished till noon with only 1 in the boat. Been fishing this lake for the past 5 years and still can't seem to find those monsters.
Posted By: Citrus Bomber

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 01:39 AM

Congrats Ronnie I saw your name multiple times on the weight ins.
Posted By: mwbmod74

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 01:50 AM

I been fishing Conroe off and on since I was a kid mid 70's to present, I admit I have a love/hate relationship with the lake, lolol, but it really does hold some big fish! The Oakley is a awesome event and ran like a machine, cant wait for the next one!

Do any of the local guys remember the KILT $125,000.00 turneys waaaaay back in the day? Those were insane, I remember shotgun starts from Anchorage Marina! Talk about wild,, haha..
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 01:54 AM

I enjoyed myself , couldn't put anything together but learned a lot for next year. I really like the lake easy to get around timber had plenty of depth to run in read the trees pretty easily. Saved my trails and water level notes should cut down on time to get familiar next year. Thanks for the invite OBBT
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 01:54 AM

And thanks for the beers and dinner Chris!
Posted By: Andrew Winkle

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: mwbmod74
Do any of the local guys remember the KILT $125,000.00 turneys waaaaay back in the day? Those were insane, I remember shotgun starts from Anchorage Marina! Talk about wild,, haha..

Bringing back some childhood memories there......
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 02:27 AM

Congrats Ronnie, I also noticed your name on weigh in a few times. I really think the lake has gotten a little better since the drought and it filled back up. Hopefully will see the lake get new vegetation in my lifetime. Just wonder if the grass carp will ever die off.
Posted By: 6 mile

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 02:49 AM

They will die and TPWD will restock them!!!!

On another note fished both days weather Was perfect on Sunday LOL. Won a little money and met some great people.

By the way to all the no grass talk the fish use other things to lay up on, in, and around when you realize that you will find them on Conroe.

Thanks to a well run tournament OBBT looking forward to next year already!!!
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 03:34 AM

Ronnie, you had a good trip and congrats.
Posted By: Gman72

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 03:48 AM

I fish Conroe often. I'm not sure what it was but this weekend was one of the best I've ever had. We got 3 checks on sat. 7.67 (won last hour on sat), 5.3 (5th), and 4.17 (7th).

We caught 25 fish in sat. Didn't get to fish Sunday. My son will be grinning for a long time! Thanks Oakley Big Bass!!!

Posted By: HappyHooker

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 05:42 AM

There's no fish in Conroe. They stocked the lake for the tournament. smile
Posted By: Michael Huffer

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 07:52 AM

my homelake!! was wayyy better with hydrilla but still is a good lake
Posted By: LC BASS

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 03/10/15 09:57 PM

I have been on the lake since 2005 and it keeps getting better. It is tough at times but that makes it interesting and fun. Until two Sunday ago my biggest bass was around 5 lbs. And mainly caught 2-3 lbs size fish. I caught a 9 lb 8 oz that day, never have made it DD but in a few years my story could get it over 10 lbs.
Posted By: AKMike

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/03/17 06:32 PM

My PB is 8.5lbs off my houseboat in the marina. I do hate the Carp though I bow fish and its stupid we cant shoot them on Conroe. We would barely put a dent in them. Think Conroe's the only lake where Bass only guys like bow fishermen. We at least kill a dumpster full the one day a year they let us.

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/03/17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: mwbmod74
I been fishing Conroe off and on since I was a kid mid 70's to present, I admit I have a love/hate relationship with the lake, lolol, but it really does hold some big fish! The Oakley is a awesome event and ran like a machine, cant wait for the next one!

The people who own that now sure wouldn't let any tourneys go through there now days. They aren't the nicest folks I used to live there on my houseboat.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/03/17 07:01 PM

It doesn't seem to set up well for me from what I've seen on it. I don't like fishing deep and everything I've watched it looks like that's where the weight consistently comes from.

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/11/17 04:49 PM

I wish TPWD would electro fish the hell out of it(remove a ton of carp) or at least let us fish/bow fish them, and reintroduce some vegetation.

I
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/11/17 07:25 PM

Nice old post.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/11/17 07:47 PM

With out the grass the fish seem to group up more. It has been a hit or miss lake for several years. Some tournaments are won with 30+ stringer and second place been around 18lb. When you find them you can put a dream stringer together and someone 50 yds. away not catch a fish. The Nation Championship this year proved that point. The winner had 18lbs + by 8 am the third day and all of his fish came off of one 6ft. hump. He left the spot- came back a couple hours later and culled 3 fish to weigh in a 25lb+ stringer. The grass at least scattered them out some.
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/12/17 04:19 PM

Anyone know recent water temps?

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/12/17 04:39 PM

Lake Conroe website says 60
Posted By: GeeDub

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/13/17 01:37 AM

I saw temps today as low as 59 and as high as 62+ in protected areas.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/13/17 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: GeeDub
I saw temps today as low as 59 and as high as 62+ in protected areas.
Yep that's about right
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/13/17 04:49 AM

Guy in our club landed a 8.5 before the front....... Too bad it went into the grease! That lake seems to have some giant bass though excited for the classic out there

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/18/17 06:21 PM

Nice, I need to fish for several hours this week.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Lake Conroe....Good Lawd!!! - 01/18/17 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Guy in our club landed a 8.5 before the front....... Too bad it went into the grease! That lake seems to have some giant bass though excited for the classic out there

A club angler ATE an 8.5??????
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum