Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon -- what's going on

Posted By: Nutman

Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 01:04 AM

Besides the Gar hunt ?
Posted By: Legend08

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 04:07 AM

Billy's latest fishing report indicated good numbers the last couple of days. Hope he stays on them, going out with him next Sunday.

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 08:37 AM

We'll let you know how it is.
We go out with him on Friday
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 02:30 PM

You need to wait until after the 5 fish limit goes into effect for gar. Will be back to 40lb limits in no time.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 04:41 PM

It has everything to do with lake level right now, once the lake fills it will scatter those big fish and they will have to search for their meals, right now they are not having to leave the buffet table out in the middle of the lake. Throw in the usual 30 mph winds on that lake, its fishing really small around the cuts and bends. JMO.

Those big fish are still there, just harder for the bank beater to catch.
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: InTheClear
It has everything to do with lake level right now, once the lake fills it will scatter those big fish and they will have to search for their meals, right now they are not having to leave the buffet table out in the middle of the lake. Throw in the usual 30 mph winds on that lake, its fishing really small around the cuts and bends. JMO.

Those big fish are still there, just harder for the bank beater to catch.

I went there Monday and the lake was low but not that low.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 08:13 PM

at least the gas is cheap and this trip would only cost half of the last one to catch 2-6 pound fish
Posted By: Dean Coleman

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 08:16 PM

Just fished falcon last week for a couple days, Very slow for us. I don't think it's water level as much as water temps. There are tons of newly flooded bushes and other good cover in the 1-4 foot range. Lots of spawning flats on the Mexico side flooded with new water. In my experience those fish really turn on around the 65-70 sustained water temps. Haven't seen that down there quite yet. I think this will be a definitive year for falcon as the lake is higher than it has been since 2012. Just my opinion, but I think the low water excuse isn't the deal anymore.

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 09:34 PM

The water level right now us lower than the same time last year. Need for it to get up to the 276 - 277 range.
Puts a lot of good places in play still that depth. Warmer weather coming after we are there next weekend
Posted By: Dean Coleman

Re: Falcon -- what's going on - 02/01/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
The water level right now us lower than the same time last year. Need for it to get up to the 276 - 277 range.
Puts a lot of good places in play still that depth. Warmer weather coming after we are there next weekend

My bad...there were 5 different months spread out over the last couple years where it was higher than it is now..a little higher and some stabilization would certainly help.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum