Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon Lake

Posted By: Gilbert M.

Falcon Lake - 10/15/14 11:47 PM

Anyone fished Falcon lately, heading there next week.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 12:06 AM

I will be there next week also. Give me a shout. 432-553-1874
Fishing Mon. through Thurs..

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 12:09 AM

Will do, we leave Thurs-Sun.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 12:14 AM

Check with james at falcon lake tackle while you are there for tips and all the tackle you need
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 12:48 AM

We fished there Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. This was our 1st visit. Caught 18, 9, and nada. One @ 3.8# and another around 3#. I have had this lake on my bucket list for years. I don't want to be negative but I was extremely disappointed in Falcon. "Turbid", shallow water is not my cup of tea. The area is visually unimpressive also. My Wife takes lots of stock photography pictures when we go fishing. This area doesn't have a lot to offer.

With the water being as low as it is, there are acres of "stick-ups" to fish. Sadly for us, we couldn't find any fish in them. There was a lot less rock shoreline than I had anticipated. There is NO vegetation anywhere.

I am sure that what I have said is probably silly to you guys out there that know Falcon. The honest to goodness truth is that we probably could have done just as well on muddy ole Conroe. It's 30 minutes from our house.

I am not complaining. Just giving my opinion. I wish everyone the best of luck fishing Falcon!

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 01:03 AM

First trips are always tough. No doubt the lake and area are not much for a lady to look at. I have been going for over 30 years and it will take a day or two to find them. I will post the pictures of the big fish if any when we return.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 01:04 AM

Sorry--- You should have made that trip for your bucket list... Years ago.

The Falcon of the last few years is a mere shadow of it's former self. hammer

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 01:25 AM

She's nothing to look at but its a different style of fishing down there. There is plenty of rock, just got to know where to look
Posted By: junbengreat

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor
We fished there Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. This was our 1st visit. Caught 18, 9, and nada. One @ 3.8# and another around 3#. I have had this lake on my bucket list for years. I don't want to be negative but I was extremely disappointed in Falcon. "Turbid", shallow water is not my cup of tea. The area is visually unimpressive also. My Wife takes lots of stock photography pictures when we go fishing. This area doesn't have a lot to offer.

With the water being as low as it is, there are acres of "stick-ups" to fish. Sadly for us, we couldn't find any fish in them. There was a lot less rock shoreline than I had anticipated. There is NO vegetation anywhere.

I am sure that what I have said is probably silly to you guys out there that know Falcon. The honest to goodness truth is that we probably could have done just as well on muddy ole Conroe. It's 30 minutes from our house.

I am not complaining. Just giving my opinion. I wish everyone the best of luck fishing Falcon!

You're about 4 years too late. No comparison in its heyday besides Fork in its early years.
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 02:17 AM

Falcon has become a place similar to any place you remember having a good time. It's just not what it used to be. There are still giants down there, just harder to fish these days. One day the water will return and it will be on fire. You should've had the wife photograph the shoreline for future reference. A lot of my waypoints are 40 ft. above the surface!
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 02:27 AM

If I told you the stories you wouldn't believe it.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 03:03 AM

I was there at the tail end of the amazing years in the winter 2011/spring of 2012. Still the best cranking I've ever seen.
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan
If I told you the stories you wouldn't believe it.
probably not, don't believe much these days without visual proof! haha Just Kidding. I think it would be cool to hear a good heyday story!
Posted By: 10 lbs or bust

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 03:26 AM

Falcon is fishing the best it has in 2014, but if you are not dialed into this lake you will struggle immensely. It's no longer a lake you can just dump your boat in and go whack em. If you are familiar with the lake at this depth and time of year than you will have a great trip. If you are not? Well....lol. You might be a tad bit disappointed. My last guided trip about 10 days ago we just straight up whacked the fish everywhere we went. Probably in the neighborhood of 70 fish with the fish below being our biggest.

When in doubt and you are new to the lake, go down to the State Park boat ramp and launch down there. Head straight for the US dam intake and work that area over. Don't be afraid to crank the dam rip rap either. Take a drop shot and vertically work the area between the rip rap and the Mexico intake as well. Robo worms in any color will do fantastic work. That's enough to keep your confidence up and catching fish. Best of luck while you're down.

Jay
Posted By: superfamous

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor

Haha. Welcome to Falcon. Jared is spot on, there's plenty of rock to fish at the level it's at right now, but it's not as easy as following it down from the bank to 15-20ft of water like it is at higher levels.

Originally Posted By: 10 lbs or bust
Falcon is fishing the best it has in 2014, but if you are not dialed into this lake you will struggle immensely. It's no longer a lake you can just dump your boat in and go whack em. If you are familiar with the lake at this depth and time of year than you will have a great trip. If you are not? Well....lol.

If you're a first timer to Falcon or haven't been in a while, this is the guy you want to hire to actually get you on some fish. Jay provided a great starting point, but the lake is definitely work if you don't know where to look. On several trips, I've donated plenty of gas and baits to catch a handful of fish I probably could have pulled up at the pond down the street from house. Now I just save the headache and book with Jay. The lake is by no means what it was in it's heyday, but I've caught 2 new personal bests in the last 12 months out of his boat, and lost a couple more I still cry about. There's still plenty of big girls in there.
Posted By: WTBOATMAN

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 02:19 PM

I was there 2 weeks ago for the San Antonio Metro tournament and it was hit or miss for some. I caught fish from 1ft.-28ft of water on pop r's to cranks to 5 inch yum dingers
(green pumpkin/purple flake) to Mag fluke (watermelon magic) also flipped hard woods in the Salinias, left side going in not past the turn to the right, largest fish was 5.25 put we probably caught 60 fish for 2 days

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 06:03 PM

You caught fish on a Pop R?!?! flehan Getting these fish to hit a topwater is like getting my kids to eat a vegetable.
Posted By: BassinBilly

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 08:50 PM

Had a lodge customer a couple of weeks ago catch an 8.5 on a buzz bait at 11 am. WTF who does that on Falcon:)
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/16/14 09:00 PM

I know some weed beds along a creek channel in the Salinas that a Pop R would probably be real good on, but Billy would not let us throw top waters.
Billy what are you doing letting a client throw a buzz bait ?
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 12:38 AM

No offense intended. I am sure there are plenty of fish in Falcon. My comments were from a novice bass fisherman tackling a very big lake for the 1st time.

We stayed ay Billy's duplex. It was the best part of the visit.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 01:13 AM

Can't believe folks are talking about the "heyday" like it's over. Falcon has been through this cycle before and when it fills again a year or two later everyone on the forum will trying to get down there again. Amazing lake, amazing fishery.
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: BassinBilly
Had a lodge customer a couple of weeks ago catch an 8.5 on a buzz bait at 11 am. WTF who does that on Falcon:)

I think I might have a pretty good idea, buddy of mine was down there a while back don't know of be stayed at your place but he always catches fish this time of year there on a buzzbaits.

It always blows my mind, I can't hardly get dinks to look a a buzzbaits there.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 11:08 AM

By the numbers and size of fish that our group caught there in late April and early May you'll have a hard time convincing me that this lake is dead. PBs set everyday for 5 days straight.......large stringers and big numbers of fish caught. Probably not like it's heyday,,,,but sure was fun fishing. My bruised side and ribs would sure attest to the numbers caught.
Billy & Jay did a great job putting us on fish.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 03:30 PM

Do you need a Mexico fishing license? Where do you get it from?
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 03:38 PM

You only need a Mexican License if you fish the Mexican side of the lake. If you decide to, we sell them here al FLT.. Or call us and we'll mail you one..
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 03:54 PM

My buddy and were fishing our club tournament and didn't get a bite until we started throwing frogs in and around trees and lay downs late afternoon. When all else fails, I'll throw my Yellow Magic.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: FishKen
My buddy and were fishing our club tournament and didn't get a bite until we started throwing frogs in and around trees and lay downs late afternoon. When all else fails, I'll throw my Yellow Magic.

OMG

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/17/14 11:33 PM

Jay, can you catch me some live frogs before I get there Sunday. I need about a dozen.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/18/14 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Jay, can you catch me some live frogs before I get there Sunday. I need about a dozen.

I have heard when cooked right they taste like yard bird ! food
Posted By: 4967

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/18/14 12:20 PM

Leave the lid on the grill, or they'll jump off.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/18/14 05:35 PM

peep
Posted By: C.J

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/19/14 12:27 AM

Fishing is not to bad right now!! 8.86

Posted By: Vetbassman

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/19/14 01:16 AM

Congrats; great fish

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/19/14 03:28 AM

Nice job CJ.. Hope to see you down there; but you will be heading back home on Sunday right? Give me a call if you you can give us some tips.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/19/14 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Nice job CJ.. Hope to see you down there; but you will be heading back home on Sunday right? Give me a call if you you can give us some tips.

Fish the dam

Nice fish CJ! rockon
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/19/14 11:00 AM

Beautiful bass, CJ.....just imagine that one full of eggs....or shad.
Posted By: BassinBilly

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/19/14 12:30 PM

It was pretty cool watching him land that fish. He demonstrated the proper way to land a big fish on a crankbait. I was able to GoPro half of the battle, but the language in the video isn't appropriate. Great Job CJ!!!

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/20/14 12:30 PM

Billy;
you are always on FISH !!!!
nice job.
what is all that open water behind you ?
Nice fish CJ, I hope you taught Billy something.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/25/14 04:40 AM

Just got back from Falcon tonight. We had a fair trip with 4 days of fishing. 50 bass was caught total for the 4 days. We caught them on hard woods and underwater log piles on the Mex. side of the river channel. Using the side scan to locate these piles of brush washed up against fences and hardwoods in 7 ft. of water was the most productive method. The weather was great with winds at no more than 10 mph. for the 4 days. There was lots of cloud cove each day with a thunder storm or two in the area.

All our soft plastics bags were dosed with Minnow or Night Crawler scent. Many bass came on my custom Mexico spinner baits for cloudy days and stained water with Chart.and White living rubber skirts. We caught fish on Zoom Mag. lizards in Junebug and Plum, 7" Zoom worms in Junebug and Plum, Zoom Baby Brush Hogs in Junebug and Plum, Whopper Baits Boxing Claw Craw in Green pumpkin Purple/Red flake and My Baby Doll Jig in Junebug Black/Red Stripe living rubber skirts with Junebug Zoom Brush Hog Trailer.

40 Bass From 1 to 6 lbs.

10 Bass Over 7 lbs.

I want to thank Sherman Pierce for the great accommodations at his rental trailer. If you need a great place to stay on Falcon give me a shout for the info..

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/25/14 05:42 AM

VERY NICE Donald!.......funny you mention that pattern. Talked to a friend of mine down here and he talked about the same thing the other day.(I was crying to him about the poor day I had yesterday...lol) Good stuff and AWESOME quality.
Posted By: jimrb

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/25/14 10:51 AM

It was great fishing with you for a couple days Don. Tell Bill i said hello. Glad you had a safe drive home.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/25/14 10:53 AM

speak of the devil!....lol peep
Posted By: 4967

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/25/14 01:37 PM

uh oh, I've got a feeling the self pay envelopes at the park are going to be off.
police

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/25/14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jimrb
It was great fishing with you for a couple days Don. Tell Bill i said hello. Glad you had a safe drive home.

Thanks for everything Jim. We enjoyed your company.

If anyone is looking for a work hard guide Mr. Behnken is your man.

One of Jim's over 7 lbs.

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/25/14 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 4967
uh oh, I've got a feeling the self pay envelopes at the park are going to be off.
police

Hahahahahaha
ninja
Posted By: jimrb

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/26/14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 4967
police

I tell that story to clients ALL the time!!! So damn funny!! If anyone needs instruction on how to insert your own foot in your mouth, I am your man. uffff
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/26/14 02:50 PM

Actually you can pay when you leave. Boy Scout's honor!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/26/14 10:19 PM

Nice fish! cheers
Posted By: BCFTD210

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/28/14 02:06 AM

Me and my dad were down there this weekend aka the popR master. Saturday i we did what some would say as pretty good it was fun. Sunday was a lot more humbling. WE caught fish every spot we stopped but when you go down there you GO BIG OR GO HOME TO catch big ole pigs you have to fish where they live not where they go for walks. The down side is some times they just are not hungry off shore "my two girls from sat".

AND THATS WHY ITS THE BEST LAKE IN TEXAS ANY CAST ANY DAY
Posted By: C.J

Re: Falcon Lake - 10/28/14 03:19 AM

Man good job!!! Can't wait to get back next month!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum