Texas Fishing Forum

What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know?

Posted By: Fishhound.com

What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/25/14 11:25 PM

So, out of all of the known knots in the fishing universe..... What are the four knots that every angler(novice-professional) should know? Is it the palomar knot, Centauri Knot??????. The list goes on. Let me know your thoughts on what the 4 knots are and why you think that every angler should know how to tie them.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/25/14 11:30 PM

Double Clinch - strongest and best choice for superlines
Palomar - easiest and 98%
Loop - more action esp. w/topwater
Uni - for joining lines
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/25/14 11:32 PM

Palomar for braid
Double Sandiego jam for fluoro
Uni
Alberto for connecting braid to fluoro
Posted By: TexBbq

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 12:22 AM

Eagle cinch
Uni
Palomar
Double suture
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 12:43 AM

Palomar for fluoro

Dbl Uni for connecting lines

San Diego Jam for braid

The Albright or Alberto for connecting a leader to braid.

In that order, but there is one more important knot. The Berkley Loop Knot for attaching poppers and dawgs. You get so much more action out of your bait, that it would be a sin not to know how to tie it.
Posted By: Reel-Deel

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter
Palomar for fluoro

San Diego Jam for braid

In that order, but there is one more important knot. The Berkley Loop Knot for attaching poppers and dawgs. You get so much more action out of your bait, that it would be a sin not to know how to tie it.

I agree with these knots, I do think you are utizing them in some of the wrong situations tho, just my .02
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 02:11 AM

Palomar, Improved Clinch/Triene knot, Blood knot (easier to tie than Double Uni) and whatever that knot I tie for drop shot that I don't know what the name is.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 02:13 AM

I only use two

Doubled Uni for line to hook--never had one slip or fail. extremely strong and bulky, very versatile (creates a loop tag and a straight line tag)--if you cinch the loop tag end first, it creates a loop knot. Keeping the line tag end long gives you plenty of extra line for drop shot.

Improved Alberto--extremely strong line to line
Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
I only use two

Doubled Uni for line to hook--never had one slip or fail. extremely strong and bulky, very versatile (creates a loop tag and a straight line tag)--if you cinch the loop tag end first, it creates a loop knot. Keeping the line tag end long gives you plenty of extra line for drop shot.

How do you tie a Dbl Uni to a hook? Or did you mistype as I did about using the Alberto to tie two lines together?
Posted By: Tyler.Woods

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 02:44 AM

Palomar
Snell
Uni
San diego

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by CENTEX Toad Hunter
Originally Posted by collincountytx
I only use two

[Linked Image]

How do you tie a Dbl Uni to a hook? Or did you mistype as I did about using the Alberto to tie two lines together?

The doubled uni and the double uni are different knots. I prefer the improved (crazy) alberto over the double uni for line to line.

The doubled uni is for line to hook/lure as shown in the picture.
Here's a video of the doubled uni for line to swivel--in the video the demonstrator goes around three times. I usually do seven to ten depending on line thickness. As you can see, it creates two tag ends.

Here's a video of Aaron Martens using the doubled uni for drop shot
If you cinch down the loop tag first, it creates a loop knot (very versatile)

Posted By: RChipman11

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 05:49 AM

Palomar
Alberto
Fish N Fool
Snell
Posted By: Fisher77

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 11:57 AM

Improved Clinch
Palomar
Snell
Uni
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter
Palomar for fluoro

San Diego Jam for braid

Flip your uses for flouro and braid the other way and you've got it.
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 03:29 PM

although I pretty much agree with most of the knots presented above, I'd add a few, as I've found these very important knots to be indespensible when fishing and/or boating....

Square knot

Bowline hitch

two and a half hitches

clove hitch

every angler should know these knots as at some point it may be a case of life or death.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/26/14 04:08 PM

San Diego Jam
Palomar
Blood for braid to floro/mono
and tie a rope to a cleat so your boat doesn't drift out to the middle of the lake thumb it happens...

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/29/14 05:14 PM

I only use two

Thats a great image. Is that from a website or did you create it?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/29/14 06:54 PM

1. Hangman's knot (wraps around the outside of the loop)
2. Loop knot
3. Overhand
4. Clinch
Posted By: lconn4

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/29/14 08:00 PM

1. Modified Albright/Alberto

2. Loop Knot

3. Trilene Knot

4. ??? noidea Shoe Lace Knot
Posted By: RHP

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/29/14 09:11 PM

Double square knot.

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/29/14 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishhound.com
I only use two

It's from wired2fish.com
how to tie the doubled uni
Posted By: Worm Dunk

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 09/29/14 11:31 PM

Palomar
Blood Knot
Snell
Arbor
and a 5th one most have forgotten- hung for thiefs if you catch one

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 10/01/14 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishhound.com
I only use two

Thanks!!!

It's from wired2fish.com
how to tie the doubled uni
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 10/01/14 10:18 PM

Aww good question.
Hmmm...
Palomar- mono, braid
Doubled uni- fluoro
Uni to uni for line to line- or just don't do line to line stuff, which I prefer
If you are a novice then really that's the only three you need, and two are basically the same thing.
Simple is best IMO.

You could just use the doubled uni for all lines, or some people use the Palomar for all lines, although I don't use the Palomar for fluoro- lots of great guides and pros do.
The 4rth knot I suppose the loop to get the action on some lures as stated by others.
I guess pros should and do know all knots, but some of the very best and consistent fishermen I have seen or met use one or two knots only.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 10/02/14 03:50 AM

the Triple granny paddle knot works for every application and is very simple!
Posted By: BigShowTexan

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 10/02/14 02:31 PM

Double uni

San Diego Jam

Palomar

last one would be a tie between the snell and the loop. I don't flip that much or use a topwater, but to me both are essential with these techniques.

Re: What Are The 4 Knots That Every Angler (Novice To Professional) Should Know? - 10/03/14 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
although I pretty much agree with most of the knots presented above, I'd add a few, as I've found these very important knots to be indespensible when fishing and/or boating....

Square knot

Bowline hitch

two and a half hitches

clove hitch

every angler should know these knots as at some point it may be a case of life or death.

Thank you for the info Fishbreeder.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum