Texas Fishing Forum

Rod for shakey head - help

Posted By: Bassndomer

Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 03:03 PM

I went fishing yesterday on a pond that is stocked with bass. The bite was slow, so I decided to throw a shakey head (I have very little experience with this presentation but want to learn and use it more often). I got two good bites (both fist were at least 3 pounders) but missed both fish. I admit I could have had better hook sets and in both cases the bass threw the bait after they made their initial jump out of the water. I am not sure I stuck them very well. I was using a 6"6" medium Falcon Low Rider rod. I'm thinking maybe the tip on this rod isn't fast enough or its too stiff for this type of presentation. What casting rod should I consider for this shakey head fishing? I welcome your thoughts. TIA.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 03:07 PM

I throw mine on a 7' m fast on a traditional shaky head, if I go over 1/2oz I step it up to a mh fast. Make sure you don't have slack in the line and as soon as you feel the bite set the hook.
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 03:12 PM

Bayou kustom rods has a really good shakey head/drop shot casting rod on sale, $120 in the trade post if I remember right. I like a good 7ft+ Med-medhvy.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
I throw mine on a 7' m fast on a traditional shaky head, if I go over 1/2oz I step it up to a mh fast. Make sure you don't have slack in the line and as soon as you feel the bite set the hook.

+1

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 04:52 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like a need a new 7ft medium fast tip rod....any suggestions that won't break the bank?
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 04:57 PM

Don't know how good they are but Walmart has 7' medium, fast action abu garcia vigilante rods for about $40
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 05:16 PM

Can't beat the quality, or price, of the 7'3" Med. Hvy TFO rod.
Posted By: Skeeter_Man1

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 05:27 PM

The falcon you have is the perfect setup I have the same rod, and I have a shakyhead on it at all times.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 05:44 PM

I throw all mine on MH fast casting rods or a M fast spinning rod. Shakey heads don't seem to require a very specific rod to thro them on. A 7ft MH fast tip rod with a good bait cast reel and 10-15lb floro is probably a good set up also throw t-rigs on it
Posted By: Bass6296

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 05:55 PM

Falcon all the way
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 07:06 PM

I throw mine on a Diawa Jupiter, or a Abu garcia vendetta. I don't think it requires breaking the bank to catch fish on this presentation. I have caught them on a $20 walmart spinning combo as well. It will just take some practice on the hook set.
Posted By: the catcher

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 08:11 PM

I use this from TW $150
Falcon LowRider XG Spin 6'10" Medium
LFS-4-1610. Shaky Head Special - Since Shaky Head jigs are increasingly popular because of their effectiveness, Falcon designed this rod with a light tip to handle finesse baits and light line but enough backbone to set the hook.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/21/14 11:35 PM

Powell Max 683. This is a very versatile rod and works well throwing a shaky head. You can also find them used for a good price.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 12:00 AM

7' M veritas
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 03:52 AM

I like the Powell inferno 7' medium extra fast. Excellent sensitivity even on those light bites. Also very versatile, I can throw a drop shot, wacky rig, really light T-rigs, etc. Hope this helps!
Posted By: eyra_kid

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter_Man1
The falcon you have is the perfect setup I have the same rod, and I have a shakyhead on it at all times.

I agree. Used this rod for years with shakyhead. I started searching for a "better" rod, and tried a G.Loomis SJR782 GLX, NRX 822 SYR and finally a Mossyback 803S. The first two were softer than I prefer; the 803S is pretty good. But I may go back to the old Falcon.

I have two suggestions if you aren't using these already.
1. Use 10-20lb braid and tie on a 5-6ft 10lb fluorocarbon leader. P-Line 100% is the best I've used for breaking strength and abrasion-resistance.
2. Make sure your shakyhead has a round bend hook. You want the point to be angled out of the plastic, not parallel or tex-posed. This will greatly help your hookups.
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Jumpin J
Can't beat the quality, or price, of the 7'3" Med. Hvy TFO rod.

+1 This is a great all around rod but if you want to get more specific TFO makes a great Drop Shot/Shakey Head bait casting rod. Here is the link for it, it has been my go to lately for deep structure bass. I use the 7'3" medium lite DS rod for shakey head fishing but the make a 6'10" version as well.

http://www.tforods.com/conventional-rods...ml#.U86VlGdOWUk

http://www.tforods.com/conventional-rods...ml#.U86V5mdOWUk
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 05:01 PM

Spinning gear: Shimano Sahara 2500 reel on a 6'8" Shimano Compre medium rod.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 07:00 PM

6'10", medium, fast. I prefer the Shimano Crucial
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 07:02 PM

TFO

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 07:11 PM

Thanks guys. Lots to think about and consider. This is all good and one of the reasons I believe that the TFF is one of the best web sites out there!
Posted By: Richard C

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/22/14 11:57 PM

KLX Drop Shot-Finesse Worm Medium - Fast 6'10"
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/23/14 12:48 AM

when it comes to shaky head fish'n, look at the head design - picture the ability to pull it through the clamped down mouth of a bass...if it has a pointed nose it will pull and the hook point will find a home...if it has a flat head that is designed to stand up that might stop the forward progress of the hook point...sometimes...allowing the fish to throw it...that said i like a 7 foot med-hvy spooled with floro 10 to 17lb test...good luck !
Posted By: Derek Stansell

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/23/14 11:05 PM

TO makes great rods.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Rod for shakey head - help - 07/23/14 11:13 PM

G. Loomis 822c or Power Tackle PG143
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum