Texas Fishing Forum

braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot???

Posted By: coyotebass

braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 05:30 PM

braid to flouro leader- blood or surgeons knot. which do yall prefer and any specific reason why???? thanks
Posted By: DrewG

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 05:42 PM

Alberto- because I find it goes through guides better than anything else Ive used, and Ive never broken one!
Posted By: Gungle

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 05:44 PM

I like the improved Albright knot, very strong and has a small diameter for going through guides.

Cheers,

George
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 06:13 PM

I use the blood knot, but don't use braid much.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 06:20 PM

double uni....
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey
wopics
What exactly IS 'blood knot' ??
fish
Posted By: cbow44

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 06:45 PM

Here's a differnt line to line knot. I havent tried it yet, but it looks interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8
Posted By: bighead

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 06:47 PM

uni-uni

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Gungle
I like the improved Albright knot, very strong and has a small diameter for going through guides.

Cheers,

George

hadnt used the albright knot before. looked it up and really easy to tie. I really like it
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 07:21 PM

An Alberto knot is smaller than the others mentioned and it is a great knot to use.

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
wopics
fish

not sure how to explain it. its an old knot and what ive used for a long time. its hard for me in rough water and wind to tie it cause my eyeballs arent what they used to be. might look it up for a good diagram.
2 lines, pinch in middle, make 7-8 wraps and one side back thru. do the oppisite direction on other side. spit on it and suck it up. slowly

wopics
fish

Netknots.com will show you as well as many other knots. The Alberto is smaller and easier to tie and it does not break. The Alberto is an improved Albright.

suck the knot up that is, not the spit lol!!!
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 07:27 PM

I use a triple surgeons because it's quick and easy and hasn't given me problems wink
Posted By: coachmatt

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 07:33 PM

alberto knot!!
Posted By: scott01

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 07:40 PM

Can't say I've ever connected the two together. I either use fluoro all the way or braid all the way, except for the connection between the mono backing and the braid where I use a blood knot.

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 07:45 PM

Hey thanks pardner!!! That's a good site.
Now, LOL, to learn to tie one or two...
thumb fish
Originally Posted By: ezbassin
wopics
fish

Netknots.com will show you as well as many other knots. The Alberto is smaller and easier to tie and it does not break. The Alberto is an improved Albright.

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 08:00 PM

You are welcome. Netknots is the best one I have found for so many different knots and the way they show you how to tie a knot makes it easy, if you can remember it when on the water. LOL
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: coyotebass
rolfmao

Lee in Texas, I tie my blood knot in the garage and wouldn't attempt it on the water. I have never broken one off (at the knot) but as I stated earlier, I don't fish it much.
Posted By: bo james

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 08:20 PM

i have tried everything mentioned to try adding a floro leader to braid, but either i have never tied any of them correctly, or they just will not hold up for me. i break everything that i have tried, and the braid cuts the floro or mono into. any suggestions???

bo
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 08:41 PM

Double Uni or Albright

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 08:44 PM

Well, sooner or later I HAVE to try to get one or more of my rod & reels set up for Carolina rig and well, am sure will lose one or more and have to 're-tie'.
Good to hear from you buddy....going fishing on Lavon any time soon? Water level there?
fish
Originally Posted By: coyotebass
rolfmao

Lee in Texas, I tie my blood knot in the garage and wouldn't attempt it on the water. I have never broken one off (at the knot) but as I stated earlier, I don't fish it much.

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/13/14 11:25 PM

may try that alberto for a change. im digging that not. not sure why ive never learned it, creature of habit i guess. i can tie a san diego jam while bogging up and down and windblown and they seem somewhat similar, a little.
dang blood knot is a pain and as far as my triple surgeon knot goes, theres a reason my collar is blue!!!
Posted By: RJohnson

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/14/14 12:03 AM

Check out the Red Philips knot on you tube.It has worked well for me and is easy to learn.
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/14/14 12:49 AM

My research has led me to prefer the Albright knot so far. It seems to be a bit smaller than the double uni.

Here's a good animation for the one I use.
http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

I think when the braid is the white rope the knot passes through the line guides better. I know one way works better, just don't remember unless I'm tying it...
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/14/14 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: bo james
i have tried everything mentioned to try adding a floro leader to braid, but either i have never tied any of them correctly, or they just will not hold up for me. i break everything that i have tried, and the braid cuts the floro or mono into. any suggestions???

bo
What size leader are you tying to your braid ? If I use 15 or less I have to back the drag off, the Crazy Alberto is the best knot that I have used, not quite as easy as the triple surgeon but it is a better knot for sure.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/14/14 02:53 AM

wopics
fish

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/i...imatedknots.com
Posted By: Allison1

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/14/14 03:32 AM

I tie the surgeons and blood knot for the stated purpose.

The surgeons knot is super easy to tie and it holds up real well to 15 pound braid to 8 or 10 pound fluorocarbon.

The blood knot in contrast is much harder to tie for me. The limp braid makes the knot hard to pull tight and get the knot right. The good part of it is you can cut the tag end real close to the knot and its quieter than any knot I have used.

Most knots leave tag ands at the end of the knot which makes noise when the tag end hits the guide. The blood knot tag ends are in the middle of the knot and it does not make as much noise going through the guides.

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/17/14 03:03 PM

bo

Make sure to buy leader material. It not only ties easier and holds the knot better, but it's also a bit more abrasion resistant.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/17/14 03:08 PM

alberto knot and seaguar leader material
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/17/14 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
An Alberto knot is smaller than the others mentioned and it is a great knot to use.

It can't be smaller than the Albright because you are doubling the line down then up. The albright is only one direction. I use both but on the albright I wind about 20 times.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/17/14 03:36 PM

maybe not smaller, but stronger. and it is still a super thin knot. I'll show ya at the next meeting. i'll bring some line and tie one. its pretty cool.

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/17/14 03:40 PM

Thanks Ronnie but I know how to tie it. I use both. On spinning I like the Alberto. On bait cast and thick floure i like the Albright for the Micro guides. For the regular guides I use the double Albright. Again thanks though.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/17/14 04:01 PM

Modified Albright for me.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/17/14 04:06 PM

Double uni
Posted By: leebayou

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 12:49 AM

Several factors make up a good or great knot for connecting fluoro to braid:
1: strength (does not break at the knot)
2: Small size
3: Easy to tie and quick to tie (can be tied on the boat without difficulty)--in a rush)
4: Works with a wide range of line size differences between the fluoro and braid
5: A really great knot: It would be nice if the stiff fluoro tag end would point at the reel while casting and the soft braid tag end facing the guides (this would allow casts without the click of the stiff end(tag end) of the fluoro popping every guide with every cast).

The only knot I know of that provides the above, and I have tried all the ones mentioned above, and more is the "J" knot. The online demonstrations show this knot tied with three passes--I tied mine with five. Three is probably enough and it make for a smaller knot--I just feel more secure with the five passes(just my hang up). The blue water boys use a similar knot but with many more passes to tie(basically braid--which is why this knot is so strong) their leader to the line on the reel for 1,000 lb plus marlin. I never have the knot on the reel. The leader is the length of the rod beyond the reel plus about one foot(most of my rods are about seven feet--the leader is about 6-7 feet long). If I am pitching, the knot is past the tip guide as the bait rests in my hand--this usually gives my about 6-8 feet of leader with this setup. This knot is very easy to learn to tie and to master--just give yourself a few minutes of watching a video on the web and practice a few times and you will have it down. I cannot see any flaws with this knot(otherwise I would be using something else), and I am surprised that it is not mentioned and used more often.
Posted By: leebayou

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 01:15 AM

When using a "leader" to tie to braid--BE SURE of what type of fluoro you are tying onto your braid. "Fluoro fishing line" is not "fluoro leader". Although "fluoro fishing line" can be used as a leader and function well in some situations(just do not do this with your flipping/pitching rig--it will result in a broken "fluoro fishing line" with almost every hookset). The "fluoro leader" will absorb shock whereas the "fluoro fishing line" will not. There are also differences among the brands as to the quality of the leader material and the amount of shock it will absorb--get the best you can. A spool of leader goes a long ways. I carry 20yard spools of 6lb to 30lb test of "fluoro leader" on the boat. I have using leaders with braid since spectra came out(early 1990's---using mono), and immediately switched to fluoro when it came out for obvious reasons.

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: leebayou
Several factors make up a good or great knot for connecting fluoro to braid:
1: strength (does not break at the knot)
2: Small size
3: Easy to tie and quick to tie (can be tied on the boat without difficulty)--in a rush)
4: Works with a wide range of line size differences between the fluoro and braid
5: A really great knot: It would be nice if the stiff fluoro tag end would point at the reel while casting and the soft braid tag end facing the guides (this would allow casts without the click of the stiff end(tag end) of the fluoro popping every guide with every cast).

The only knot I know of that provides the above, and I have tried all the ones mentioned above, and more is the "J" knot. The online demonstrations show this knot tied with three passes--I tied mine with five. Three is probably enough and it make for a smaller knot--I just feel more secure with the five passes(just my hang up). The blue water boys use a similar knot but with many more passes to tie(basically braid--which is why this knot is so strong) their leader to the line on the reel for 1,000 lb plus marlin. I never have the knot on the reel. The leader is the length of the rod beyond the reel plus about one foot(most of my rods are about seven feet--the leader is about 6-7 feet long). If I am pitching, the knot is past the tip guide as the bait rests in my hand--this usually gives my about 6-8 feet of leader with this setup. This knot is very easy to learn to tie and to master--just give yourself a few minutes of watching a video on the web and practice a few times and you will have it down. I cannot see any flaws with this knot(otherwise I would be using something else), and I am surprised that it is not mentioned and used more often.

Not according to knot wars but that's their opinion I guess. I think what your comfortable with is the knot that'll work the best for you. I just suggest you practice tying it over and over.
Posted By: thedeuce

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 03:10 AM

blood
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 04:35 AM

I've used braid since it first hit the market. I've tied leaders on since 3 months after starting with braid. I can tie most any knot correctly if I want to. I used the blood knot for years because it was strong and was small. But after 10 years or so, I discovered that the Uni-Uni knot was stronger with certain combinations of braid and fluoro. Then the Alberto Knot (modified Albright) hit the scene. It's all I use. Check Knot Wars. I think they still list it as the strongest knot for braid to leader connections. But what would they know?
Posted By: bo james

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper

bo
What size leader are you tying to your braid ? If I use 15 or less I have to back the drag off, the Crazy Alberto is the best knot that I have used, not quite as easy as the triple surgeon but it is a better knot for sure.
i am usually tying a 15 or 20 leader onto 50lb. braid. i have put the leaders to a test in the drive hooking them to the back of the boat via a hook tied to them, and then back up to see how much pressure it takes for something to break. the connection will give up every time, with very little effort. there might be times that a leader would make a difference in bites, but until i find a connection that will hold up, i will just stick with tying direct.

bo

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper

bo
i am usually tying a 15 or 20 leader onto 50lb. braid. i have put the leaders to a test in the drive hooking them to the back of the boat via a hook tied to them, and then back up to see how much pressure it takes for something to break. the connection will give up every time, with very little effort. there might be times that a leader would make a difference in bites, but until i find a connection that will hold up, i will just stick with tying direct.

bo
I use 30 and 40 pound Diawa Samurai with 15 and 20 pound Seagar leader material, I use the Crazy Alberto knot, it will not fail if tied correctly.
Posted By: TexasHarleySales

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 02:53 PM

google "Crazy Alberto Knot" and you'll have the only knot you'll ever need. small diameter and, once you get it down pat, you'll never have a failure.
Posted By: TexasHarleySales

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 02:57 PM

On a long range trip I was on, 200# and up yellowfin tuna have been landed on the Alberto knot. Keep in mind these fish were fought on 80# solid braid to 60# fluoro SHORT topshots. These were on 7 day trips out of San Diego, where the average fish was around 60#'s. Then the "volkswagens" came up into the chumline.

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 04:41 PM

I'm not getting into the knot wars, but I think some go far overboard with this and make it more complex than it needs to be.

I use what I use because it works for me. I know someone can always chime in with well knot wars says x,y,z. I know firsthand I've caught several fish in the 9-10 pound range with 30lb braid tied to 20lb leader with a tripple surgeon and my knot holds. I'll stick with what I can tie easy and works, until it fails.......lol

I've tried the uni to uni and it's a pain in the rear when the wind gets above 5mph and I'm out in the open on the lake. I can tie my knot with 30mph winds in open water while running the Trolling Motor. That IMO is what you need to think about with these knots. Is it efficient and does it hold.....

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Joefishin
I'm not getting into the knot wars, but I think some go far overboard with this and make it more complex than it needs to be.

I use what I use because it works for me. I know someone can always chime in with well knot wars says x,y,z. I know firsthand I've caught several fish in the 9-10 pound range with 30lb braid tied to 20lb leader with a tripple surgeon and my knot holds. I'll stick with what I can tie easy and works, until it fails.......lol

I've tried the uni to uni and it's a pain in the rear when the wind gets above 5mph and I'm out in the open on the lake. I can tie my knot with 30mph winds in open water while running the Trolling Motor. That IMO is what you need to think about with these knots. Is it efficient and does it hold.....
i used to use the triple surgeon, really liked it, can't say it ever cost me a fish but 8 can say that when I would have to break line it usually broke at knot, not that way with crazy alberto
Posted By: lconn4

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 02/18/14 09:39 PM

I use the Alberto Knot (also known as the Modified Albright) which is different from the Albright. Have caught many 20 to 200 lb fish on 15 to 20 lb mono to 30 lb leader. banana rolfmao And all from a kayak. rolfmao

I've recently been using my own knot, "the modified Alberto", which is just as strong as Alberto knot but smaller. I just use one less wrap. rolfmao
Posted By: catslayer

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/26/15 02:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

Check this out, interesting knot
Posted By: Garvin

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/26/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer

I use this knot; it's stronger than any knot you tie on the terminal end of your leader, it's fairly easy to tie, small diameter, never had one leader come loose on this one.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/26/15 05:39 PM

What size braid do you guys use for backing on spinning setups?
Posted By: jbguide

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/26/15 08:31 PM

I use the FG knot. It's the best I have found.
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/26/15 08:37 PM

Alberto
Posted By: JkWho

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/26/15 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Garvin
Originally Posted By: catslayer

I use this knot; it's stronger than any knot you tie on the terminal end of your leader, it's fairly easy to tie, small diameter, never had one leader come loose on this one.

Also the knot I use...Been great so far
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/26/15 09:34 PM

I've used most all of them. The FG knot is the best I've found.
Posted By: Jobucko

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/27/15 01:36 AM

I use the surgeon's knot with my braid to fluorocarbon. Simple to tie and I have never lost a fish with it. Leader usually breaks before the knot.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/27/15 09:21 PM

I use what I use because it works for me.

Joey thats the smartest thing you've said in 10 years grin

Knot wars are great and all, but executed under lab conditions. Any of them knots are going to do really well when tied correctly so figure out which one you can tie consistently and quickly and it will probably work great for you
Posted By: CCTX

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/28/15 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin

I use what I use because it works for me.

Joey thats the smartest thing you've said in 10 years grin

Knot wars are great and all, but executed under lab conditions. Any of them knots are going to do really well when tied correctly so figure out which one you can tie consistently and quickly and it will probably work great for you

Agree^^^^
Knot wars testing methods are faulty. They test a knot's slow stretch strain strength. Fish don't fight by slowly increasing their pull force. When a fish bites and the hook is set, most fish will surge rapidly. Knot wars should be testing a knot's rapid shock strength and a knot's abrasion resistance.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: braid to floure: blood or surgeons knot??? - 06/28/15 12:57 PM

Recent mentions of the FG knot make it seem like the new "go to" knot but I'd think only for pre-tying the day before, not out on the water or from a bank. I wonder how many will use it now, then revert to their old standby junction knots?

Strength? Knot wars says Alberto/Albright (improved?) is stronger than a uni to uni.

But, of the last two, size as in diameter? Uni to uni has to be smaller.

With an Alberto/Albright, you form a loop, then you circle the two lines formed by the loop, so one around two, then you circle the circle (or wrap the wrap) for a 4th element of width. Correct?

A uni to uni only wraps the mainline and one element of its formed loop, so it more or less has to be a thinner knot. But, it is longer since it is tied twice and brought together.

All 3 of these knots are easy to tie, way stronger than required based on their successful histories.

If you learn to tie uni wraps with index fingers and thumbs making the wraps, it'd be hard to beat it for the combination of knot size, strength and ease/speed of tying.

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum