Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette County Reeds?

Posted By: The Rodfather

Fayette County Reeds? - 12/29/13 03:28 AM

I haven't fished Fayette in two years until today. I was looking forward to fishing the reeds but there are no reeds left! What happened to them!?
Posted By: Will.i.am

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/29/13 03:31 AM

winter time die off???
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/29/13 03:32 AM

same here, i havent found any good reeds either.

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/29/13 03:37 AM

There have always been reeds, even in the winter, all that is left are dead stalks and muddy banks!

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/29/13 03:38 AM

There have always been reeds, even in the winter, all that is left are dead stalks and muddy banks!
Posted By: jwallbassin

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/29/13 09:10 AM

I was there a few weeks ago, was told they killed them off.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/29/13 11:59 PM

One of my favorite reed spots was barren months ago. Someone, for some reason, must have felt the need to spray them. Ridiculous!
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/30/13 01:32 AM

Several months ago they lowered the lake about 3-4ft and they took that machine in there and cut all the reeds on banks that didn't have standing timber in the way. I'm assuming they also sprayed them, but that's just a guess. It's a shame because I have had several great years of pitching those reeds with jigs and frogs and just whacking fish!
Posted By: Airik

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/30/13 04:56 AM

Unbelievable.. What dipshiat made that decision ?
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/30/13 05:24 AM

Probubally the same one who decided to kill the hydrilla.

Lake will be dead in two years tops now...

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/30/13 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Airik
Unbelievable.. What dipshiat made that decision ?

Oh you know; those dang invasive reeds.....
Posted By: fizzpot

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/30/13 03:15 PM

Heard they killed them last winter. Fished it last Feb and the reeds were there but dying.
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/30/13 07:40 PM

The only thing that makes sense to me is they were killed to reduce water usage. Less plants using water less water they have to pump into the lake especially during drought conditions.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 12/30/13 07:52 PM

or they were getting clogged up in the intake

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/02/14 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter TZX 200
or they were getting clogged up in the intake

I would doubt very seriously if clogged intakes caused by reeds are a big problem.
Posted By: FishinZ7

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/02/14 07:30 PM

I too was disappointed to see the reeds gone last weekend... First it was the hydrilla now the reeds...Now if they can just get rid of the buzzard problem in the parking lot that easy.

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/02/14 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: FishinZ7
I too was disappointed to see the reeds gone last weekend... First it was the hydrilla now the reeds...Now if they can just get rid of the buzzard problem in the parking lot that easy.

Can't hurt them. They're protected!!!
Posted By: AstaSoftride

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/03/14 02:16 AM

I could swear I saw a few Nutria out there recently. Those guys will do some serious damage to vegetation such as the reeds. I also noticed that the shoreline was also missing vegetation.

If that is true then they better be ready for shoreline damage. Those guys love to burrow in the bank close to the waterline.

Anyone else see any of those critters out there?
Posted By: livin large

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/05/14 12:55 AM

saw one doing the backstroke along the dam a few weeks back...

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/05/14 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: AstaSoftride
I could swear I saw a few Nutria out there recently. Those guys will do some serious damage to vegetation such as the reeds. I also noticed that the shoreline was also missing vegetation.

If that is true then they better be ready for shoreline damage. Those guys love to burrow in the bank close to the waterline.

Anyone else see any of those critters out there?

They've always been on FCL. The only explanation for the lack of reeds in the area that I fished is spraying. It looks DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/05/14 01:42 AM

They have been disappearing since last spring. It has continued to get worse every month. It was hard to find any with water deeper than 1' all summer. Now it is impossible. It had to be intentional. They are dead and gone. It happened too quick and covered the entire lake to be accidental. Stole the joy of fishing that lake for me. I loved pitching frogs in and around those reeds more than anything.

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/07/14 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: barbarian
They have been disappearing since last spring. It has continued to get worse every month. It was hard to find any with water deeper than 1' all summer. Now it is impossible. It had to be intentional. They are dead and gone. It happened too quick and covered the entire lake to be accidental. Stole the joy of fishing that lake for me. I loved pitching frogs in and around those reeds more than anything.

I know what you mean. I hate it when I pull up to a group of reeds and they are in less than 1' of water.
Posted By: dflipper

Re: Fayette County Reeds? - 01/07/14 02:14 AM

This does suck...but this is a power plant lake and the plant is the primary reason it is there. I hate seeing vegetation killed off in lakes but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much in power plant lakes. I guess because I work in them occasionally and I know the reason they are there. The fishing is just a bonus. I fish Lewis Creek a lot and there was hydrilla there bout 8 years ago. It was amazing during that time. The fish were healthy because the baitfish actually had a place to hide so there was a lot in the lake. But due to the intake clogging they sprayed it and planted more carp. Still a lot of fish in the lake but the quality has gone down. I believe it is because the lack of bait fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum