Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14?

Posted By: Javelin

Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/07/13 04:44 PM

With the large number of boats entering the first tournament of the Southeast Texas High School Fishing Association, I just wanted to see how many on TFF were either captains or contestants?
Posted By: teamplayer

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/07/13 05:43 PM

I am the teacher-advisor for our team from Corrigan-Camden. I will be captaining a boat for one of our six teams entered. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank not only the Corrigan-Camden boat captains but all others as well. The advisors sure appreciate you giving up your time and boat for these young and upcoming fishermen and women.
Posted By: RKT

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/07/13 07:58 PM

I am the teacher-advisor for the Kingwood HS team and will be captaining a team. This is a really cool deal for the kids.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/07/13 08:28 PM

I sorta lucked out (if weather turns out like today lol) none of my kids in Huntington wanted to fish with me so I am not captaining this go round. Most of my teams have a parent captain. so far it looks to be possibly the largest HS event EVER. Heck, it is looking like it could be the largest event on rayburn over the past couple years.
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/07/13 11:59 PM

I am the boat captain for a great young man from Nederland that I took fishing this summer. Look forward to a great event!!
Posted By: meallenjr

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 12:26 AM

Will be one for Splendora. I have been told 253 teams.
Posted By: jlawdawg74

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 12:36 AM

Will be taking a team from Corrigan.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Bucky Allen
Will be one for Splendora. I have been told 253 teams.

Yes as of right now there is 253. There could still be some register the day of the tournament and just pay the late fee.
Posted By: J.Mays97

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 12:51 AM

Congrats to all of you guys who are helping these young men and women out. I'm really happy to see how this has taken off with so many schools participating. I wish we would have had this when I was in high school.
Posted By: elrod

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 01:08 AM

J.Mays97 watch it my daughter fish's in the north region with a few more young ladies. they just might get you LOL

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: elrod
J.Mays97 watch it my daughter fish's in the north region with a few more young ladies. they just might get you LOL

There are several teams with girls fishing this event. One of my six teams is an all female team.
Posted By: J.Mays97

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Javelin
Originally Posted By: elrod

There are several teams with girls fishing this event. One of my six teams is an all female team.

I never even thought about it when I posted and you are right these boys had better be ready. The fish don't know the difference. I can remember as a kid fishing with my Dad and Step Mom that she became a very good fisherwoman over time. She kicked my butt on more than one occasion. My original post has been edited.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 03:01 AM

Where is the tournament out of? BassNBucks will be out of Umphry.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119

We will be using Umphery pavilion, BNB will be weighing in at Twin Dykes State Park
Posted By: W_Fishing

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 06:13 AM

Taking a team from Corrigan Camden!
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 03:15 PM

We will be using Umphery pavilion, BNB will be weighing in at Twin Dykes State Park

I guess they haven't changed it on their website. They still have it as the Twin Dikes Public Ramp next to Umphry.
Posted By: jacks03

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 03:23 PM

I am the teacher/advisor for Woodville and I will be boat captaining a team as well. We will have 6 teams fishing the event.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 03:50 PM

I would like to get involved with this for a team in the Lewisville area, but I still have not seen what is involved in being a captain.
I understand the captain provides the boat and his time. Does the captain get reimbursed for any expenses - gas, oil, travel, etc? A trip to Rayburn and back with motel, gas, etc., could easily cost several hundred dollars.
Not complaining if it's a total donation, just need to know to do some budgeting.

Thanks, I think this is a great program and the future of the sport.

Thanks.
Posted By: teamplayer

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 06:34 PM

It depends on how it is set up for your school and how much has been raised. At least that is how it is at our school. We fished a tournament on Lewisville (we are Corrigan-Camden) and the boys I took paid their part of hotel and their own food. We won the tourney and the boys won $90 each. Before we got to the highway to come home, there was $90 on my console. I was told they wanted to pay gas money. I appreciated that, but refused the offer. I have some very responsible young men fishing with our team. I cannot say enough about their maturity and responsibility.
Yes, both these young men will be fishing on Rayburn.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 08:16 PM

I guess they haven't changed it on their website. They still have it as the Twin Dikes Public Ramp next to Umphry.

No that have not changed it yet. I hope all the folks fishing it know where to go as there will be 253+ HS teams at the public ramp lol

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: joebass2
I would like to get involved with this for a team in the Lewisville area, but I still have not seen what is involved in being a captain.
I understand the captain provides the boat and his time. Does the captain get reimbursed for any expenses - gas, oil, travel, etc? A trip to Rayburn and back with motel, gas, etc., could easily cost several hundred dollars.
Not complaining if it's a total donation, just need to know to do some budgeting.

Thanks, I think this is a great program and the future of the sport.

Thanks.

It all depends. I try to make my kids understand they need to offer captains anything they can, but at the same time some of the kids at my school are lucky to have a hot meal at night much less any money. Most all of my captains are parents of students or folks that work for the district. We have not went to any tournaments far away yet, but when we do I hope to have at least SOME money raised to help boat captains with gas/hotel ect and also expect the kids to do all they can with help. Most all advisors for these clubs do it for the love of the sport and children. I don't know of any that actually get paid for being a bass club advisor so even the advisors in some situations have a hard time being a captain from a financial standpoint.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: teamplayer
It depends on how it is set up for your school and how much has been raised. At least that is how it is at our school. We fished a tournament on Lewisville (we are Corrigan-Camden) and the boys I took paid their part of hotel and their own food. We won the tourney and the boys won $90 each. Before we got to the highway to come home, there was $90 on my console. I was told they wanted to pay gas money. I appreciated that, but refused the offer. I have some very responsible young men fishing with our team. I cannot say enough about their maturity and responsibility.

How does the paying of the students affect their participation in other sports? I would think the UIL would really frown on this.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: joebass2
Originally Posted By: teamplayer

How does the paying of the students affect their participation in other sports? I would think the UIL would really frown on this.

NOPE, fishing is not UIL, just like HS rodeo. it is just fine to pay kids, however most of the schools involved do not like giving cash to kids so they get paid in gift cards, scholarships or merchandise. Kids at some districts will wind up getting cash, but it has zero affect on other sports. UIL has no bearing on HS fishing.
Posted By: Hunter's Dad

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/08/13 10:40 PM

Will be there along with 4 other teams from West Sabine.
Posted By: BthomasG3

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/09/13 12:49 AM

Guys I am involved with this tournament as well. Right now we have 254 teams registered. I got an email from the advisor in deer park and they had a boat captain back out for things he could not controll. I am trying to help find a new boat captain for these kids. She said these boys are new to fishing and are really upset they can't fish.

Is there anyone out there that could volunteer there time and boat to captain these kids. Don't know that you will get anything out of it other than knowing introduced a kid to fishing. If you could help please message me.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/09/13 04:08 PM

TTT
Posted By: rangerBTS

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 03:55 PM

i will be out there. Anyone have a list of or know of the items they want in the boats other than the regualar stuff? Also how does the event work? Launch and takeoff, weigh in? Thanks

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 04:01 PM

pm me your email address and I can send the list to you. Nothing out of the ordinary though.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 04:06 PM

Where R they launching? Assume its a trailering event.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 04:38 PM

Launching out of Umphrey as far as I know. Not sure if we are trailering or not. Would be nice I bet the ramp is going to be PACKED

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 04:53 PM

All out of Umphrey's unless they change it due to bad weather. 252 total teams, 10 flights total. Gonna be an interesting site. It amazes me how big this sport has grown in the last couple of years, all my kids can talk about this week is this tourn. It will be the first time they have ever seen that many boats in one area.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 05:57 PM

^^^ I agree the female angler that will be in my boat has called me every day for the past week and a half checking to make sure I can still go (btw she can flat out fish) I think this program is great as if I had it when i was in school i would have done it. Hope everyone is safe and has a great time should be a good time with a lot of great people.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 09:25 PM

There will be more teams than 252 fish. They are still registering late teams. I had a team register today for instance and they will take registrations friday evening and the morning of the tourny. It is NOT a trailering event unless bad weather. That call will be made AFTER 8pm on friday. It is a standard tournament as far as equipment. There will be a dry boat check for lifevests, fire extinguisher, kill switch, lights and livewell before launching boat.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 10:09 PM

Just Saturday?

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
Just Saturday?

Yes all the SETXHSA tournaments are one day events except for the championship
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/10/13 11:34 PM

Can you post a schedule here or give me a website to check out? I'm out of town this weekend, but I'd be happy to captain a boat for some kids.

Great thing to offer for the kids.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/11/13 12:40 AM

Here is a link to the Southeast Texas region website. All info is on the site including rules, dates and schools involved.

http://www.setxhighschoolfishing.com/
Posted By: kvn765

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/11/13 12:44 AM

I'll be attending as a captain! Very excited to be able to bring young kids and have them experience what i LOVE!
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/11/13 06:27 AM

Absolutely incredible growth just within the past few months. Gonna wake up some people and hopefully SPONSORS to the potential this sport has. Nothing this size has ever been done in this state or the country for that matter. Above all, bring em back safely captains!!
Posted By: Greg J

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/11/13 04:36 PM

Any need for a last minute boat captain shoot me a note. Always willing to help out on events such as these...Good luck to all!

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/11/13 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg J
Any need for a last minute boat captain shoot me a note. Always willing to help out on events such as these...Good luck to all!

If I were you, I would be there Saturday morning at the launch. With 252 teams, there's likely to be someone with a boat malfunction. You could sure be a hero to a couple kids!

I am going to be in Vegas or I'd be there in a heartbeat. I will definitely be a captain for future tournaments.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/11/13 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg J

Or you could just be on the water as an emergency contact. Kind of a rescue boat type deal. If you get with the guys organizing the tournament, I'm sure they'd be happy to have you do that. If you do it soon enough they could put your info in their checkin packet. They also send out mass texts. Your info could be in one of these too.
Posted By: Greg J

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/11/13 07:02 PM

Thanks...not a bad idea.
Posted By: meallenjr

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/11/13 07:07 PM

The kids I am taking drew boat 143

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/13/13 02:52 PM

good luck to all that will be in this tournament but above all stay safe. So far with winds forecast at 15-25 from the North West could make for some big waves coming into the pavilion. These are High School kids, if it isn't a trailering event don't risk it trying to either leave the launch or get back to the launch if you don't think its safe. We can always have someone drive your truck to another ramp to pick you up if the wind picks up midday. I will be around the weigh in all day if anyone needs to contact me. 9363668594

Kris
Posted By: HugoWT17

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/13/13 04:50 PM

If your in need of a captain still, give me a call at 713-853-7746. I live 1 mile from the boat ramp and would love to help some kids out.

Re: Anyone here boat captaining for the HS tourny on Rayburn Dec 14? - 12/14/13 12:18 AM

TTT. It is now a trailering tournament, but please be safe out there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum