Texas Fishing Forum

Switching hooks on crankbaits

Posted By: Hattrck

Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/10/13 09:52 PM

Really didn't think it really mattered, But I lost 4 today using a Square bill today a Eagle Mountain. Some popped off when they jumped out and some popped off under water. Read where the pros would set the hook on cranks. I did that and kept my pole up and tight. going to switch some hooks on my cranks. Any suggestions would help,( Type and sizes). Thanks
Posted By: Bassin2win

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/10/13 10:21 PM

I usually get the Mustad KVD triple Grips. As far as hook size, I'll go to the crankbait section and pick a few of the same crankbaits I already have and just match the size with the triple grips.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/10/13 10:30 PM

Owner ST-41 in size #4....Some of the sharpest hooks in the bidness!
Posted By: Joe D

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/10/13 10:34 PM

I have read they go up one hook size to better the hances of hook up.
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/10/13 11:07 PM

X2 on Mustad Triple Grip Short Shank
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/10/13 11:43 PM

KVD triple grips. Just wish I knew a way to change them easily.
Posted By: jmj201

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: largemouthokie

Split ring pliers
Posted By: Len B 1

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 12:12 AM

Get a good set of split ring pliers or a mini-needle nose pliers. Grab hook and take pliers and pull where the ring begins and slid old hook up just enough to start new hook and rotate ring till old hook falls off and let the new one snap in ring. Can change both trebles in a few minutes. Like others said KVD Trip Grips I use size 2 on all my square bills or get Eagle Claw #2 or #4 some are long shank some are short. I use the long 2 on big cranks and shorts on smaller one. Experiment with different ones also can get pricey when you have to snap off lure and hooks. Good luck.
Posted By: Hattrck

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 12:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and tips
Posted By: larrywc

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 02:02 AM

Sic-um Lenny
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 03:08 AM

After losing two 10+ pound fish in a year and about 5000 dollars of lost money I change all my hooks out now on crankbaits. A good set of split ring pliers makes it quick and easy.
Posted By: killnmesmalls

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 04:33 AM

some of the stock hooks these days are actually pretty good and really sticky, just too small. I usually find myself upgrading the size of my crank hooks.
Posted By: TX Basser

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 04:36 AM

Here is how to change crankbait hooks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFz_Yc8wICE

Here is what hook to use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaqwbfOlhjU
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 04:55 AM

KVD elite trebels all the way. Go up a size, I made that mistake once and lost a $$ fish because of it.
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 05:57 AM

I go with the same size in a triple grip short shank and don't have a problem at all. As a matter of fact, the crankbait comes through cover a lot better with the shortshank hooks. I fished a heavily wooded area on Lake Fork Saturday and only hung up once out of 300+ casts. Out of the 100+ fish I hooked only a couple didn't make it in the boat. Thankfully they were sandbass and made my life easier.
Posted By: bassNduck

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 11:10 AM

I like to put a red KVd tripple grip up front and a VMC sureset in the back. the two wont angle if you use the correct size. i do it because the difference in the bends in the two hooks makes it that much harder for a fish to throw em. everyone has their own trick, but thats mine.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: CarlosRivera
Owner ST-41 in size #4....Some of the sharpest hooks in the bidness!

Yep 4 sho....

There are several dynamics going on when a fish bites a moving bait.

First, did the fish just slap at it or did it inhale the bait? Many times a fast moving bait will generate a reflex strike but the fish doesn't get the bait deeply into its mouth.

Second, was your rod a stiff rod normally used for worming? Did your rod pull the bait away from the fish before it could get it into its mouth fully?

Third, What kind of line were you using? A lot guys that do it for a living use mono for cranking because it has a lot of stretch that allows the fish to get the bait better before the fisherman react and sets the hook. If you had braid, this could've been part of the problem.

Too many variables to type about but good sharp hooks are the way to go for sure. That will eliminate at least one of them.
Posted By: Tony Clark @ Lake Fork

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 02:27 PM

Ken knows crankbaiting believe me,if he told me too put a 1oz egg sinker above it I would. thumb
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: largemouthokie

try these split ring pliers
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Tony Clark
Ken knows crankbaiting believe me,if he told me too put a 1oz egg sinker above it I would. thumb

Jim Gore has put several SAL's into the program and I know for a fact he caught at least one more 13+ in the summer on a Mann's 30+ with a 1 oz bullet weight on the line in front of it.

Some of the young guns think the new 10XD goes deep.... Gimme a break.... LOL
Posted By: Tony Clark @ Lake Fork

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 04:21 PM

Ken I even like the 10XD myself had a 5lber & 6lber on it in one cast woot and it does throw great,and reels back alot easier than the 30+.Them Manns 30+ crankbaits would wear a pinion gear out in a heartbeat,I still have a bunch of them. taz LOL!
Posted By: Limits4all

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 04:45 PM

Get you a pair of good split ring pliers as others stated. Right after Paul Elias won on Falcon in 2008, he reported in an article he did not lose a fish on a deep diving crank all that week. He used 2X round bend front hook and triple grip tail hook in the same sizes as original hooks on the baits. I fish deep divers on Falcon alot so I switched my cranks to that and it does work. Only thing I have done different is on smaller cranks adjust hook shank lenght selection so hooks do not tangle.
Posted By: Fast Jimmy

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 10:50 PM

Yes, time to change hooks. I also change split rings if they have used small ones on the lure. Spro split rings are awesome and Owner hooks have never let me down.

I put new Owner hooks on jigging spoons, spooks, crank baits, and jerk baits. I feel sorry for the fish sometimes as they get hooked in odd places as they swipe at the lures. You'll also start getting two fish on one lure when you have very sharp hooks.

Get you some good split ring pliers to help with replacing them.
Posted By: TeamHillbilly

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 10:57 PM

Mustad triple Grips
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/11/13 11:43 PM

Gama EWG, mustad KVDs or owner all good hooks I have had great success with them all but square bills for sure is short shank KVDs and go u hook size
Posted By: Tick...

Re: Switching hooks on crankbaits - 09/12/13 12:18 AM

Texas Tackle SR Pliers , the way to go spendy but well worth it, KVD 2x triple grips are fine hooks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum