Texas Fishing Forum

fishing as a pro for a tournament

Posted By: chilli31

fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 08:45 PM

Wouldn't it be cool if companies actually took a chance in people. Like they did in the past

Back in the past any person could be a pro bass fisherman and companies actually had Faith in people and their word

Now if you think about it. How different is a regular angler like myself or any other regular angler? different from the pro's

NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!
I have my own opinion but I will keep my opinions to myself

Here is my idea
How about an open with companies that will actually help pay for costs
Like rod companies
Reel companies
Bait companies
Boat companies

Heck make it a show on how a regular joe can go from fishing in local tournaments to becoming pro

Imagine this two anglers one is a professional the other is a regular angler
Place them both in the same area and just watch to see if the regular angler can keep up to the professional if not beat him or her in a tournament .

Professional baseball , basketball , football

They all have auditions for becoming a pro ball player
But lately I have noticed that it is almost impossible to become a bass pro unless you're financially stable to do so
Posted By: WWJ

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 08:51 PM

You may be onto something.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: chilli31
Now if you think about it. How different is a regular angler like myself or any other regular angler? different from the pro's

NOTHING !!!!!!!!!

This made me laugh!

You really think there is no different in a "regular guy" and an Elite fisherman?

Excuse me from this conversation, the Texans need a free safety and I'm gonna go sign on with them.

popcorn2

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 08:55 PM

Yeah might be but even with several pro's even on this page or even companies might read my post but I'm sure nothing will be done about it I have tried time and time again and nothing happens

Oh well
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:01 PM

In todays time; it is like getting a good job. It is who you know not what you know.

If you have friends in higher places you can be anything you want to be.

Now the adverage joe can't do this; so he has to work his way up and first time he stumbles he is finished. If he doesn't draw a check every time he is financially finished.

The big companies will come through about once a year for the adverage joes to strut their stuff, but there want be anyone there recruiting like in football.

So here you are fishing every trail you can afford to fish trying to win a thousand bucks and spending two thousand to win it.

Now that I have become older and wiser all that money could have been spent catching a 100 Bass per day instead of 5.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:05 PM

Here is my take. If its your dream then YOU make it happen. Don't rely on handouts or free rides from companies to fish. Commit 2-3 years of working as much as you can and saving every penny you can. Set yourself up so that you can give it a go on your terms. If you have that much faith in yourself that you will succeed then do it on your own dime.
This is still America and any dream is possible as long as that person will put in the time and sacrifice to get there.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast

NOTHING !!!!!!!!!

This made me laugh!

You really think there is no different in a "regular guy" and an Elite fisherman?

Excuse me from this conversation, the Texans need a free safety and I'm gonna go sign on with them.

popcorn2

Are you an elite fisherman if so congratulations but that's no reason to down others for stating their ideas and as far as there being no difference yes I believe there is no difference what so ever
Except for the fact that the elite fisherman has everything a lot easier
Let me see and correct me if I'm wrong
They get
Boat
Reels
Rods
Baits
Trucks
Money
Yeah I guess my head would be in the clouds too.
But if a regular angler were to say this and truely had a good idea I might be more open to the idea !!!!!!!!

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:12 PM

You are also dreaming if you think ALL Elite/FLW pros are getting everything free. There are plenty that are paying for boats, electronics, rods and reels and even baits. Some just get product discounts.Hell the world's biggest bait/gear company(Berkley/Pure Fishing) dropped a ton of BASS/FLW pros from sponsorship in the last year. Those guys at that level are struggling to get "real" deals these days.
If a guy like Jay Yelas with his resume can get dropped by Berkley and Daiwa then what do you realistically think you can do for them that he could not?
Posted By: hcriverrat

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:19 PM

[quote=chilli31]Now if you think about it. How different is a regular angler like myself or any other regular angler? different from the pro's

NOTHING !!!!!!!!!
Come on man. There's a huge difference. So you think it's just the money that keeps you from fishing against the likes of KVD, Ike, Martens, Etc? These pros worked themselves up the ranks, they don't all have lots of money like you might think. Some still sleep in their trucks because they can't afford rooms. Money doesn't make these guys Elite, their skill and ability to adapt in every possible situation makes them Elite.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:19 PM

NOTHING !!!!!!!!!

This made me laugh!

popcorn2

Are you an elite fisherman if so congratulations but that's no reason to down others for stating their ideas and as far as there being no difference yes I believe there is no difference what so ever
They get
Boat
Reels
Rods
Baits
Trucks
Money
But if a regular angler were to say this and truely had a good idea I might be more open to the idea !!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your original post. I took it to basically say there's no difference in a regular guy on the water and KVD, Rojas, Martens, Evers, etc.

Is that what you said?

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:37 PM

NOTHING !!!!!!!!!

This made me laugh!

popcorn2

They get
Boat
Reels
Rods
Baits
Trucks
Money

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your original post. I took it to basically say there's no difference in a regular guy on the water and KVD, Rojas, Martens, Evers, etc.

Is that what you said?

Are you , Kvd, Evers, Rojas, Martins ? No well me neither but put me in the same area fishing and I will keep up with them if not beat them

THEY PUT ON THEIR PANTS JUST LIKE I DO thus there is no difference to how they fish compared to how I fish fishing is all about location and timing some skill but bass are optimistic hunters they would bite my bait as well as there's that being said being in the right place at the right time is key those guys do their diligence of being pros

I was simply saying that it would be cool to see offers like what I mentioned to see them develop into something real
Posted By: WAWI

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:37 PM

Go to the FLW and write a check, Im sure its easy. LOL Not to mention a bunch seem to be broke, you got a few big names making it, you got a bunch that had money long before they went "pro",then you got guys doing jobs at night to pay the bills. I'll keep my day job and pay for my stuff.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:39 PM

its not like you can tell them apart anyway with all the wraps, stickers, jerseys, etc.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:41 PM

I also think a guy should probably dominate locally and regionally before he thinks he can do it at that level. Those guys will take your money and send you home broke. Anyone that thinks real talent is not at that level is dreaming.
Posted By: BassinButch

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:42 PM

Time on the water makes a huge difference.... Just remember that in different bodies of water, climate, etc

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:47 PM

Chill post your fishing resume. Lets see if your accomplishments match your words

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:53 PM

Obviously people need to learn how to read the WHOLE post before they comment first off i was not attacking other people until I was questioned no as far as posting my resume I will decline because that's not what the post was about ...........
Posted By: the skipper

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:54 PM

I like your idea but put those top elite guys and you on a lake not known or seen before and your going to get spanked. Those guys didn't start the elites winning everything, it took them years to get that good. And that's years at the top level. I know I can go anywhere and catch fish but there's a big difference between catching keepers and catching 5lbers. Now I would like to see how I would do against them, but like mark Perry said, its not how good you are, its who you know.
Posted By: WWJ

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:56 PM

Yours is great advice. Ultimately, if you really want it, you will have to make it happen yourself.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 09:59 PM

Obviously people need to learn how to read the WHOLE post before they comment first off i was not attacking other people until I was questioned no as far as posting my resume I will decline because that's not what the post was about ...........
i did read the whole post. I can understand the whole tryout thing. But then you said you could compete with if not beat them. That changes the direction of the post doesn't it? Have you at least won a big name tournament? Which one?
Posted By: slim 285

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:00 PM

If your are as good as the pros . Enter at the open levels and take all there money. lol_2 If you are as good as you say you are it want be long before you will be rich and famous

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:01 PM

Are you , Kvd, Evers, Rojas, Martins ? No well me neither but put me in the same area fishing and I will keep up with them if not beat them

THEY PUT ON THEIR PANTS JUST LIKE I DO thus there is no difference to how they fish compared to how I fish fishing is all about location and timing some skill but bass are optimistic hunters they would bite my bait as well as there's that being said being in the right place at the right time is key those guys do their diligence of being pros

I was simply saying that it would be cool to see offers like what I mentioned to see them develop into something real

No sir. I am not any of the ones names above, nor will I ever be in a league of theirs. The guys that are household names have a 6th sense about them that allows them to be what they are known as - "Elite".

I never said they are better than you as a person. That's where the "they put their pants on one leg at a time" comment would fit in. These guys are great people that take time out for their fans.

As far as your comment about being able to keep up with them or beat them...someone above asked for you to post YOUR resume. Show me the proof and shut me up. That's the simplest way to end this conversation. The proof is in the puddin'.

PS - what happened to the "." key on your keyboard?
Posted By: BassinButch

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:17 PM

popcorn2
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:21 PM

Dedication and perseverence seems to be lost in today's world.

That's what separates the normal joes from the pros not handouts and sponsorships.

Fish a mid level local trail and see if you can dominate there first, then see if you can keep up at a higher level.

On any given day anyone can win, but putting together a limit everytime day in and day out on any body of water takes a whole lot more.

If you want to be a pro, nothing is stopping you only your own dedication to doing it.

Fish some trails and move up in the local standings, instead of looking for hand outs IMO.

Now a pro's vs joes fishing show might be cool like the other sports one they had.

Pro in his boat, randomly chosen angler from a mid level series in the region they want to film in , on a lake not in any regular trails line up.

I think that might be a cool tv show idea.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: 90 5.0

That's what separates the normal joes from the pros not handouts and sponsorships.

Fish a mid level local trail and see if you can dominate there first, then see if you can keep up at a higher level.

On any given day anyone can win, but putting together a limit everytime day in and day out on any body of water takes a whole lot more.

If you want to be a pro, nothing is stopping you only your own dedication to doing it.

Fish some trails and move up in the local standings, instead of looking for hand outs IMO.

Now a pro's vs joes fishing show might be cool like the other sports one they had.

Pro in his boat, randomly chosen angler from a mid level series in the region they want to film in , on a lake not in any regular trails line up.

Actually about a year ago I had that idea as well and of course people berated me for the idea as well look it up (pro's vs joe's ) you'll see my name on subject starter

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:33 PM

Resume Sir
Posted By: Jeremy S.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:35 PM

Let's see, I've got a truck, a boat, a BPS store in my lockers, great electronics, plenty of gas, good income, almost no bills, and I spend a LOT of time on the water.

Sometimes I even put my pants on both legs at a time just to be special.

Last year, I think I won a grand total of 600 bucks lmao. There is a HUGE difference in the pro's, the local good sticks, and every body else. Just the facts. If you're that good, jackpot a bunch of working man's tournaments and bank the cash, move up to the BWS, then to the opens.

Otherwise, just deal with the fact fishing is fun and I can drive fast in my shiny boat and have a blast destroying schooling dinks because I DON'T have the skills of the pro's. That's life. I doubt they could keep a drilling rig running or get a broken helicopter in the air like I can. Find something you're good at, do it, make money, fish, smile.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:41 PM

I started my own small organization a while back with a bunch of guys and gals that I love. Just weekend warriors with normal jobs. There are some great fishermen in the club, who always catch limits and seem to find them. And there are some guys, like me, don't. So even in a small East Texas sample there are guys who are better than others. It's insane to think the Elites aren't better than the average joe.

This is kin to those people who think they could drive in NASCAR if they had the backing. 99% of those would be only a hazard to the other drivers.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: slodsm
Let's see, I've got a truck, a boat, a BPS store in my lockers, great electronics, plenty of gas, good income, almost no bills, and I spend a LOT of time on the water.

Sometimes I even put my pants on both legs at a time just to be special.

Last year, I think I won a grand total of 600 bucks lmao. There is a HUGE difference in the pro's, the local good sticks, and every body else. Just the facts. If you're that good, jackpot a bunch of working man's tournaments and bank the cash, move up to the BWS, then to the opens.

Otherwise, just deal with the fact fishing is fun and I can drive fast in my shiny boat and have a blast destroying schooling dinks because I DON'T have the skills of the pro's. That's life. I doubt they could keep a drilling rig running or get a broken helicopter in the air like I can. Find something you're good at, do it, make money, fish, smile.

That's a great great post. So many good points. Well said.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
I started my own small organization a while back with a bunch of guys and gals that I love. Just weekend warriors with normal jobs. There are some great fishermen in the club, who always catch limits and seem to find them. And there are some guys, like me, don't. So even in a small East Texas sample there are guys who are better than others. It's insane to think the Elites aren't better than the average joe.

This is kin to those people who think they could drive in NASCAR if they had the backing. 99% of those would be only a hazard to the other drivers.
exactly sir, people that say its just 1 left turn kill me. Most people couldn't even start those cars, and if they could they wouldn't be able to handle the power
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:47 PM

. popcorn
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:47 PM

Plenty have tried. Few make a decent living. Fishing is more mental than physical. There is a huge difference between those that consistently make it at the Elite level and those who don't.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 90 5.0

Actually about a year ago I had that idea as well and of course people berated me for the idea as well look it up (pro's vs joe's ) you'll see my name on subject starter
looks to me like nothing but support. Your just trying to dig out of the hole now buddy

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 10:52 PM

So you don't have a boat, you are a bank fisher. Yet you could beat the Elites. Maybe if your perch jerkin, maybe.
Posted By: Tony Clark @ Lake Fork

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 11:06 PM

Years ago I replyed on a post about how someone could learn much more from a Pro than a local guide on Lake Fork.I took it the wrong way and blasted that a Pro that did'nt have the time on the water would be lucky not to tear up his boat just running the lake.However as far as the learning new techniques and using some of the top of the line in new types of tackle the Pro would be better hands down.I have used a Elite pro to help me on a guide trip this past April,and guiding and fishing for your self is two differant things.In guiding it has alot to do with the peoples skills your fishing with at the time.So for me to think that just because we had a better day than the Elite angler guide really means nothing.I was lucky enough to fish with Gearld Brown and Tommy Biffle here lately,and the short time we fish together I was able to learn what those fisherman look for on differant types of stucture.As far as the finances just to be able to hit the tournament trail is very exspensive and the average joe would have a tuff road ahead of him.As far as sponsors go nothings really free,and say your catching fish on baits that your not sponsered by or promoting can be a bummer to.Cause as much as I like thier products at times I catch them better on other products and hate to offend the people that have tried to help me.Guiding is tough enough,however to be a winner on the tournament scene is insanely tough.Going back to the Elite VS Me on Lake Fork,things could have turned out completely differant one on one.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Tony Clark
Years ago I replyed on a post about how someone could learn much more from a Pro than a local guide on Lake Fork.I took it the wrong way and blasted that a Pro that did'nt have the time on the water would be lucky not to tear up his boat just running the lake.However as far as the learning new techniques and using some of the top of the line in new types of tackle the Pro would be better hands down.I have used a Elite pro to help me on a guide trip this past April,and guiding and fishing for your self is two differant things.In guiding it has alot to do with the peoples skills your fishing with at the time.So for me to think that just because we had a better day than the Elite angler guide really means nothing.I was lucky enough to fish with Gearld Brown and Tommy Biffle here lately,and the short time we fish together I was able to learn what those fisherman look for on differant types of stucture.As far as the finances just to be able to hit the tournament trail is very exspensive and the average joe would have a tuff road ahead of him.As far as sponsors go nothings really free,and say your catching fish on baits that your not sponsered by or promoting can be a bummer to.Cause as much as I like thier products at times I catch them better on other products and hate to offend the people that have tryed to help me.Guiding is tough enough,however to be a winner on the tournament scene is insanely tough.Going back to the Elite VS Me on Lake Fork,things could have turned out completely differant one on one.

Finally a good well thought out response thank you for your response
I appreciate yur well thought out answers please pm Me when you get the chance thank you
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 11:25 PM

All the handouts are now passed out by the O'dali lama
Posted By: Steve187 (A.K.A. GETFISHED )

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 11:28 PM

Ah just what I needed. The best entertainment I've had this weekend. Been feeling kind of doggy cause my boat is in storage and having trouble buying another. Read this whole thing and I can't quit laughing. Freaking hilarious ! The original idea is fine. The reason it aint happening is what they call business. As far as the regular joe on average being just as good as an Elite, well that's good entertainment for some. I fished a trail for 3 yrs against a guy named Charlie Campbell. Ever hear of him ? I beat him half the time but no way could I put the heat on the Elites with any consistency against those at the top. Frikkin hilarious

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 11:42 PM

hello my name is Corey and i just moved here From northern California

And well i have not had a very good time Fishen here at all
All in All i Suck at Bass Fishen and i sure Could use some help
Maybe even a buddy to go out with to help me with fishen for bass

i live close to lake lewisville and well i have been there a hand full of times and i have been skunked every time i go

am i doing something wrong ?
I dont know if i am but i would love to have some help PLEASE !!!!!!!!!
and the truth reveals itself

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 11:47 PM

Wow that's a old post thanks for the memories
You better come with a hell of a lot more than that to put someone down

Keep tryin you'll get it right soon

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: hcriverrat

i live close to lake lewisville and well i have been there a hand full of times and i have been skunked every time i go

Ouch

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/21/13 11:58 PM

Wow that's a old post thanks for the memories
You better come with a hell of a lot more than that to put someone down

Keep tryin you'll get it right soon
im not trying to put you down im trying to make you realize that your not gonna get anywhere lying to people on this forum. every post you make is kept and they can come back around 4 years later to get you. The post is only 4 years old. So in 4 years you go from having no clue in bass fishing to being able to hang with the best bass fisherman in the whole world?

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 12:08 AM

Lying I did nothing of the sort and nor did I say that I was the best I was simply stating that it would be cool if companies would get back to how things were in the past with actually giving people a chance
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

Ouch

Ouch

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 12:19 AM

Lying I did nothing of the sort and nor did I say that I was the best I was simply stating that it would be cool if companies would get back to how things were in the past with actually giving people a chance
the part of company's backing people is fine. It's when you said you could hang with if not beat the Elites is what we're on now. Just 4 years ago you posted about not having a clue about bass fishing. I'm just trying to figure out how you advanced at such a rapid pace and not even having a boat or ever even fishing a tournament. Please explain!!
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 12:24 AM

I'm not really sure what you mean.

I was away from tournament fishing for a long time, and have recently came back to it in the last few years.

As far as I've noticed sponsorships are still gained in the same way. Time, dedication and proving that you can be a benificial part of their team.

I don't recal a time ever when say Rebel would just give an unknown person a full ride sponsorship because they asked for one and said if you gave me money I could fish??

Forgive me here but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what you are comparing todays fishing world to.

Sure there are more people out there fishing more tournament trails which makes it harder to find a company that doesn't already have a ton of pro staffers etc, but really I can't remember a time when hand outs were given. Which seams to me what you are asking for.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 12:35 AM

Hey chill, I have an extra fishing tube since I recently bought a new one. I go to the grasslands every Saturday morning. You can go with me and use it if you'd like sometime. Pm me if you ever want to go. There is a catch though: you gotta come clean on this whole "just as good if not better than the pros" thing

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 12:39 AM

So you don't have a boat, you are a bank fisher. Yet you could beat the Elites. Maybe if your perch jerkin, maybe.

You might want to get a boat, don't think your going to get merc to sponsor you without something to put it on.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 12:40 AM

You could always just focus on your post count, that seems to be the other path. Somebody post that pro staffer video about getting the minivan wrapped.
Posted By: Chris Davis - USAFishingTrails

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 01:09 AM

I think anyone that wants to discount how much work the pros do does not understand all that is involved. Most pros spend an incredible amount of time on the water, learning about new products and new industry trends, spending time with fans at fishing shows, and traveling all over the country, on top of trying to stay focused on being a great angler and winning tournaments, or at least placing.

There is nothing stopping anyone from trying to become a professional at anything. Being successful at most things usually takes a lot of hard work, discipline, and sacrifice. If you want to do it, then do it.

Just my opinion.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 01:23 AM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&feature=player_embedded#t=0s[/youtube]

This should be of help to you in your present state.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&feature=player_embedded#t=0s[/youtube]

This should be of help to you in your present state.

Wow. Someone has a really big chip on their shoulder. It's like high school. Scratch that, middle school.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 01:56 AM

You gotta admit - that video is hilarious!

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:02 AM

If you say so. I'm sure some do find it funny, and they have all the right in the world to laugh at it. It sounds to me like someone is just trying to make fun of everyone that they aren't friends with or fish with. Maybe if there weren't countless topics of people (usually the same people) talking smack about other people it would be a little more funny to me. It literally reminds me of a clique in middle school, jr high, or high school making fun of another clique.

To each their own.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:05 AM

It's very fitting for this thread.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:08 AM

A pro staffer and a PRO are two very different things. Not everyone is in a position to be a PRO, and being on a pro staff is a really cool deal for a lot of people. Why dog someone for wanting to do something they love to do? How does someone wearing a jersey, or being on a pro staff, or going to a fishing show to promote their sponsor hurt anyone?

It sounds like a whole lot of jealousy to me. Making fun of people is not cool, guys.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Davis - PTT | BLT | BNB

A pro staffer and a PRO are two very different things. Not everyone is in a position to be a PRO, and being on a pro staff is a really cool deal for a lot of people. Why dog someone for wanting to do something they love to do? How does someone wearing a jersey, or being on a pro staff, or going to a fishing show to promote their sponsor hurt anyone?

It sounds like a whole lot of jealousy to me. Making fun of people is not cool, guys.
you must not have followed this from the original post. A guy who only a few years ago admitted to having no clue about bass fishing can now hang with and beat the Elite series guys. Beginners can't beat elite series fisherman, period.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:18 AM

Funny how a guy comes on here with a idea and gets bashed to death. If you're good enough then give it a try on your dime for awhile and if you are you will get noticed . If you do well you can come back on here and bash the guys with a 50, 000 post count but only have four hours logged of time on water telling you that you're wrong . I think a lot of guys can compete with the elites , if you had the shared information that they have access to why wouldn't you? Catching fish is the easy part finding them is what is tough. Good luck to you . To the trolls , go do something .

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:18 AM

I read the whole thread. I always try to read the threads before I post.

When the video was posted, I commented on the video. That video was clearly made to make fun of people.
Posted By: TexBbq

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:20 AM

The sponsorship landscape has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Large companies are scaling down their number of pros and most companies are only offering discounts at most. Companies expect a return on investment and expect you to bring that return. These days, you need to market your sponsors and prove you are bringing in an income for them. I don't want to go into how this is accomplished, but you can turn discounts and sales for these sponsors into entry fees.

My suggestion, prove to the sponsors you are bankable. When you do that, go pro.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:23 AM

Let me ask you, and please answer.

4 years ago I had no clue about anything bass fishing, I don't have a boat, and I only fish ponds. Now I'm good enough to compete with and beat kvd, ike, etc.

How would you respond to that?

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:37 AM

Let me ask you, and please answer.

4 years ago I had no clue about anything bass fishing, I don't have a boat, and I only fish ponds. Now I'm good enough to compete with and beat kvd, ike, etc.

How would you respond to that?

If that is what you want to do, and you think you can, then go do it.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:41 AM

I am all for anyone chasing a dream. I have no clue who the poster is and if he is good or not. If he has that dream then its up to him to make it happen. don't wait on a company to pay your way. make it happen on your own. Anything is possible like I said with hard work and sacrifice. My other points were the misconceptions that the Elite guys are all on free rides or that they have no advanced skill compared to hacks like me. Me personally I am average at best at fishing. never have claimed to be anything else and have zero desire to fish at the elite level. i support those that chase those goals though. I have a ton of posts on here and normally I am on the water as much or more than anyone I know that ain't a guide so in all honesty its hard to judge anyone by what they post or how much they post.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:59 AM

I'll tell you exactly what's wrong with it. These so called prostaffers are whoring themselves out for a measly percentage off of a product. This diluting the real sponsorship market.

Chris, here is something you'd relate to. You just started the Platinum Team Trail. You've gotta advertise it and get word out. You want to advertise in the Bassmaster magazine, the Lakecaster and the FLW magazine. All of this costs money out of your pocket. Someone calls you land tells you they own 20 fishing publications and will advertise for you in exchange for a small percentage off of their entry fees. With those 20 publications you can reach as many people as you can with those 3 other magazines. So you're going to do the swap deal with the one person because its cheaper. I don't blame you...I would too. The problem lies in the fact that the 3 TRUE industry magazines suffer because one guy is willing to white himself out for pennies.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:05 AM

I'll tell you exactly what's wrong with it. These so called prostaffers are whoring themselves out for a measly percentage off of a product. This diluting the real sponsorship market.

Chris, here is something you'd relate to. You just started the Platinum Team Trail. You've gotta advertise it and get word out. You want to advertise in the Bassmaster magazine, the Lakecaster and the FLW magazine. All of this costs money out of your pocket. Someone calls you land tells you they own 20 fishing publications and will advertise for you in exchange for a small percentage off of their entry fees. With those 20 publications you can reach as many people as you can with those 3 other magazines. So you're going to do the swap deal with the one person because its cheaper. I don't blame you...I would too. The problem lies in the fact that the 3 TRUE industry magazines suffer because one guy is willing to white himself out for pennies.

I see your perspective. At the same time, I think finding the most effective way to get something done is usually the most beneficial, financially at least.

I guess what I don't understand is why people make fun of the guys that do the pro staff thing. I do not believe that if they stopped doing it, then all of a sudden people that would never have gotten sponsorships in the first place will magically start getting them.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:11 AM

I see your perspective. At the same time, I think finding the most effective way to get something done is usually the most beneficial, financially at least.

I guess what I don't understand is why people make fun of the guys that do the pro staff thing. I do not believe that if they stopped doing it, then all of a sudden people that would never have gotten sponsorships in the first place will magically start getting them.

So if these prostaffers immediately stopped, you don't think guys like Jay Yelas would pick up a few sponsors. (I use Jay because Mark Perry mentioned earlier today that Berkley and Daiwa dropped him). You would have to believe some of te middle of the pack guys would benefit.

It makes for a good conversation but its a scenario we will never know the answer to. So as I thi k we've done before, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. LOL

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:18 AM

So if these prostaffers immediately stopped, you don't think guys like Jay Yelas would pick up a few sponsors. (I use Jay because Mark Perry mentioned earlier today that Berkley and Daiwa dropped him). You would have to believe some of te middle of the pack guys would benefit.

It makes for a good conversation but its a scenario we will never know the answer to. So as I thi k we've done before, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. LOL

No, I think people that deserve it will get it, whether it's a prostaff discount or a $100k endorsement deal. I said that I don't believe people that would normally not get them will start getting them. These companies are doing what they are doing for a reason. It must be beneficial to them in some way, regardless of who likes it or dislikes it.

Brother, you know me. I am always up for a discussion, and being able to disagree is a luxury that I am very happy to be able to have. It beats someone dictating what we can and can't do, say, or think! smile
Posted By: Brent Homan Fishing

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:23 AM

popcorn
Posted By: the skipper

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:53 AM

You guys have to look at pro staffing as a try out, so to speak. You do well, you get on the team, you do bad, you get cut. I know they're everywhere, but its free advertisement for the bigger companies. The smaller companies do it to get their name out and can't afford to give away 100k a year to some pros. Do they dilute the sponsorship market, yea, but not as much as you think. Are the videos funny, oh yea, they're hilarious! Not because all pro staff guys are like that but because most of us know one guy that thinks his $#!t doesn't stink because his daddy bought him a new boat and his buddy owns a bait company that gave him a jersey. Guys that respect and earn their deals get respect in turn.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
You guys have to look at pro staffing as a try out, so to speak. You do well, you get on the team, you do bad, you get cut. I know they're everywhere, but its free advertisement for the bigger companies. The smaller companies do it to get their name out and can't afford to give away 100k a year to some pros. Do they dilute the sponsorship market, yea, but not as much as you think. Are the videos funny, oh yea, they're hilarious! Not because all pro staff guys are like that but because most of us know one guy that thinks his $#!t doesn't stink because his daddy bought him a new boat and his buddy owns a bait company that gave him a jersey. Guys that respect and earn their deals get respect in turn.

I understand and agree with the part about someone thinking their "$#!t doesn't stink." There are all kinds with that mentality.

Honestly, though, are you saying that you wouldn't take a boat if someone, especially your dad, bought it for you, and you wouldn't wear a jersey for your friend's bait company if he offered it to you? I would.
Posted By: Outlaw2531

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 04:15 AM

It is very hard financially to make it pro. Yes those guys are good. The main difference is they take a huge risk financially. I can't do that with my family (2 boys and a wife), but I wouldn't be scared to compete with them. If you are single, go for it. I can't at this point, but if I was wealthy I could. So yes money is a factor if your an old fart like me!
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 04:18 AM

Chili, if I may. You presented three ideas in your original post.
1. "The good old days, when companies took a chance on people." sorry, but those days never existed. No companies sponsored guys who couldn't fish. Maybe they sponsored guys who were young, and not quite as savvy as to how the game is played, now that, some companies did that and sometimes it paid off in spades. But trust me, they could all fish and were proven anglers.
2. You mentioned that there is "no difference" between an average Joe & a pro angler. I assume you mean a KVD, Takahiro Omori, or Brandon Paulinick? Chili.... Please. Do they have the best equipment? Yes? Did they get out of high school and go straight to the elites and start lifting trophies? Absolutely not. They fished, the drove, they practiced, they failed, and they kept going. They looked "quit" in the eye and said "no, not today" and launched the boat again. These guys slept in tents at state parks, and ate beans out if cans to chase a dream. They busted *ss. I think what incenses some of these guys is your post seems to belittle that. Perhaps that was not your intention, and I am in no way judging you. I'm a joke on the water, as evidenced by 1 fish in 6 hours in Cypress Springs yesterday. But I do know that the guys on the Elites and FLW, etc., many have paid a high price chasing that dream, heck lots of the local sticks have put in similar time, and just can't catch the break needed to go to the next level. Fishing is HARD. Let me give you an example. I was once a scratch golfer. Was considering trying to turn pro, play some mini-tours and see what I could do. Being a scratch golfer is a joke compared to consistently putting 5 in the boat and cashing a big check. In my mind, this is one of the most difficult sports ever to mentally focus and finish strong. You're trying to get a wild animal to cooperate for crying out loud! So Chili, I want to give you the benefit of the doubt here. But please understand, what you're saying to these guys, is offensive. They've been trying for years, because they love it, it's in their blood and they have to try. Even it means failing... Again. But it is NEVER easy. Nothing in life ever really is, is it?
3. You brought up the Pro's vs. Joe's idea. Great idea. Run with it. If that's your dream, then do it! Like Ike says "never give up!".... Wait Ike says "NEVER GIVE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"..... the beats his head against the console of his boat.

Chili, here's my advice to you. Go for it. Big things come from big dreams. If you think you can beat a pro, challenge one. If you think you want a TV show, make one. Go for it! But please know, no-one is just going to give it to you because you decides to post on the TFF. Make YOUR dreams come true. I get told no on a regular basis in my job, if I just take the first time as my answer, me and my family starve. I will never let that happen. No matter what I have to do. NEVER GIVE UP.
Posted By: slshaneus

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
You are also dreaming if you think ALL Elite/FLW pros are getting everything free. There are plenty that are paying for boats, electronics, rods and reels and even baits. Some just get product discounts.Hell the world's biggest bait/gear company(Berkley/Pure Fishing) dropped a ton of BASS/FLW pros from sponsorship in the last year. Those guys at that level are struggling to get "real" deals these days.
If a guy like Jay Yelas with his resume can get dropped by Berkley and Daiwa then what do you realistically think you can do for them that he could not?

I rode with keith combs and brandon palaniuk when they came to orange here as a marshall, I asked them both alot of the same questions and the answers were the same for the most part. i thought these guys were given everything and the truth is they are not they buy everything at a discounted price, now im sure there are free baits and stuff like that. but they pay "cost" for their boats and big ticket items and then at the end of the year if they want to try to sell them for a profit they can, also some have allowances for tackle and equipment. one of the anglers told me he had just sold his boat to a guy pending the season and if it stayed in good shape and he said thats how he makes a little money to order his new boat for the upcoming year ........LMAO i just watched the video, waiting for her to knock him out!
Posted By: JeffLStevens

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 01:40 PM

"Professional baseball , basketball , football

They all have auditions for becoming a pro ball player
But lately I have noticed that it is almost impossible to become a bass pro unless you're financially stable to do so"

The Elite Series does have tryouts......Norther, Southern and Central Opens. It doesn't cost a fortune to do it. All in, you might spend $3K per event and there are only 3 of them. If you aren't willing to save and risk $9K to become an Elite angler then why should any company be willing to risk any amount on you either.

The Opens are great events and you don't have to travel too far to fish them AND you get to put your skills to the test against a handful of Elite and FLW anglers. It is the BEST way to get a spot in the Elites and truly understand how your skills stand up against to some of the best around this region....and around the country.

There are two left in the Central Opens and you still have plenty of time to practice. Final payment is due mid August and I am not sure if they are still accepting entries but if you bring a Co Angler in with you your chances will be better.

Send me a PM if you get in and you can follow me up to the Arkansas river for practice....once we get there....you are on your own though. If you want an "audition" to fish with and against the best in the world.....the Opens are it.....come on in!
Posted By: snickers

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:01 PM

Who wins most of the bass opens ?

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:11 PM

very timely article on Bassmaster website.

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/learning-hit-big-league-pitching-opens
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 02:21 PM

violin
Posted By: BanjoMinnow

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:39 PM

How much is the entry cost as a co-angler in a BASS Open?

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:48 PM

2013 BPS Bassmaster Open Series Format – Competition days: Thursday, Friday, Saturday
Pro $1500 entry ($600 deposit)
o Full field days one and two
o Top 12 day three
o Weights carry over all three days
o Five fish limit
Co-angler $425 entry ($200 deposit)
o Full field days one and two
o Top 12 day three paired with top 12 Pros @ random
o Weights carry over all three days
o THREE FISH LIMIT
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:50 PM

Here is what I can tell you on this matter. I fished the FLW tour as a rookie this past season. I have also fished several Bassmaster Open events as a "pro". The jump from FLW Tour to Open was huge. Night and Day as far as the caliber of angler. Tour was so much tougher. Many tour guys do fish the opens as well. They don't put near the time and effort into the opens as most guys do. Many guys prefish WEEKS straight for the opens, then they make the Tour and get smashed. Seasoned Tour guys have years to built their skill set on all type of water as well as huge networking advantage. The better you are the more people want to help you. Those guys are that good period.
Posted By: BanjoMinnow

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 03:51 PM

Thank you sir
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 04:00 PM

Go fish an Open...

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 04:14 PM

Better yet go fish an open in a part of the country you have never fished on 3 days practice. Its a good skills test.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 04:25 PM

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: lconn4
..... Now THAT.....is funny

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 04:29 PM

Lol I like that
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 04:42 PM

If you say so. I'm sure some do find it funny, and they have all the right in the world to laugh at it. It sounds to me like someone is just trying to make fun of everyone that they aren't friends with or fish with. Maybe if there weren't countless topics of people (usually the same people) talking smack about other people it would be a little more funny to me. It literally reminds me of a clique in middle school, jr high, or high school making fun of another clique.

To each their own.

Amen
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 05:34 PM

Got to hang around and talk to a lot of the FLW Tour guys down at the Red in the Open this year and trust me, those guys had practiced as long and as hard as anyone for that event. They went into that event trying to win and get the Classic berth that goes along with it.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 05:57 PM

Ok in the case of the Red River in April there was a 2 week gap in the schedule. Thats more the exception than the rule. Between tour events and sponsor obligations it's doubtful they actually spent that much time there. Anything more than 3 days is a lot of time to them. I guarantee there were a lot more non tour guys that prefished longer than the tour guys.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: lconn4

Hilarious! True!

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 05:59 PM

Either way I got my taste of it this year. I'm back to weekend warrior status. Lol
Posted By: 10lberfork

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 06:05 PM

my 2cents look most people like me go to to guides to learn knowledge. theses guys fish there lakes religiously, for instance lake fork chilli31 if you could go against theses guides on lake fork and win over over again you have really accomplished something , but to say the pros get free ride is absurd, nowadays nobody gets free ride in the pros there rigs are discounted but still cost more then my house, Mark Perry gave some good advice when he said beat up on the locals get your name in the circuit as winner major tournament's being fished all over, se if you can stay with all the local talent cause there is some good sticks in the Dallas ft. worth area alone, But chase your dreams it still cost you on some level.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 06:40 PM

Just watched the video.....VERY funny and so true!
Posted By: xanadu

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 07:08 PM

It may have been mentioned already but to compare bass fishing to basketball and football is pretty naive. For the most part, they always play on the same basic layout and surface during one or two seasons a year. You may be a whiz at Lake Fork in the spring but how are you doing at Lake Erie in March or a lake that is crystal clear? Pros put in thousands of miles and hours all over America on many different lakes in every season of the year. Rain or shine. I personally am lousy on cloudy days so as long as it is sunny,I think I can smoke Kevin VanDam. but every time he comes to my pond, it seems to be cloudy and he makes me look bad.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 07:20 PM

You did a heck of a good job
Originally Posted By: James Biggs
Either way I got my taste of it this year. I'm back to weekend warrior status. Lol
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 07:29 PM

I wnder if those elite guys (for whatever reason), get on here and see some of the "wanna be's" on here and think to themselves, "Put your money where your mouth is." Respect is given only after you have proven you deserve, not what you "think" you can do.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: J.S. ASU
I wnder if those elite guys (for whatever reason), get on here and see some of the "wanna be's" on here and think to themselves, "Put your money where your mouth is." Respect is given only after you have proven you deserve, not what you "think" you can do.

Or your Credit Card. smile

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 07:31 PM

Or your Trust Fund wink
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 07:47 PM

Touche` to both. Either way, they are going to take it from you and make you like it.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 08:43 PM

Chili, Perhaps maybe what you meant was you don't back down from a challenge and if given the chance to fish against an elite guy you would go all in and not back down? If that is the case, then I would say most guys on here are like that. I think maybe you just used very strong language and didn't quite mean what you said. Now if you were poppin off, and meant that as a challenge, there is a LONG line of guys on here waiting to take your money......... and trust me, they will.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Chili, Perhaps maybe what you meant was you don't back down from a challenge and if given the chance to fish against an elite guy you would go all in and not back down? If that is the case, then I would say most guys on here are like that. I think maybe you just used very strong language and didn't quite mean what you said. Now if you were poppin off, and meant that as a challenge, there is a LONG line of guys on here waiting to take your money......... and trust me, they will.

This

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

That's precisely what I meant and I do apologize to all the anglers that thought I meant disrespect to them

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 09:04 PM

Chilli, you DO have the chance to fish agains the Elites. It's the OPENS. Shoot me a PM if you want to know more about them and how it is. I have only fished them for 3 seasons but it has been an awesome, and humbling at times, experience.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 09:07 PM

And chances are that the next one will be one by a Elite guy most likely Biff

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers
And chances are that the next one will be one by a Elite guy most likely Biff

LOL!

On a river or mudhole near BPS. wink
Posted By: Bissett

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 09:19 PM

Pretty good points but I feel like the tryouts or auditions are from the Opens and other similar tournaments where you can prove you are right for the "job".

However, you are right about the money situation. It is almost impossible to chase this dream unless you have a good amount of money. There's too many expenses in this sport for an average person to chase the dream full time.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bissett
Pretty good points but I feel like the tryouts or auditions are from the Opens and other similar tournaments where you can prove you are right for the "job".

However, you are right about the money situation. It is almost impossible to chase this dream unless you have a good amount of money. There's too many expenses in this sport for an average person to chase the dream full time.
or if you're married and struggle for cash. Single guys can sleep in truck and eat beans from a can. Married guys....... not so much.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 09:28 PM

^^^^ That's the truth. I'm about to find that out in less than two months

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers
You did a heck of a good job
Originally Posted By: James Biggs

Thanks. I'm going to get my money in order, build up more vacation time at work and make another run in 2015.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 10:09 PM

Video is funny. Some truth to it. I know at least one guy that its pretty much a carbon copy of. I was at the TTBC and there he was signing autographs along the fence with Bobby Lane. That at least gave me a good laugh.

He said it would not be fair for him to fish the local Sunday tournament since he was a pro. I told him KVD can fish it if he wants to.

In the end he really isn't hurting anyone acting like a clown.

Competition gets stouter at every level.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 10:35 PM

Hmm let me see if I am correct
pro's and non pro's on this Talk Forum please answer something for me?

Is this a talk Forum ?
Can you post your opinions on here ?

And most of all didn't I apologize to everyone about any disrespect that I might have caused

Sorry I didn't continue arguing last night I was tired and went to bed
And today after I was done with work I posted again
Not because I was waiting for my opportunity to change my story
Opinions are just that an OPINION

ONCE AGAIN I AM SORRY FOR THE DISRESPECT THAT I MAY HAVE INFLICTED ON SOME PEOPLE I did not intend to sound like that.
Posted By: mike 266

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/22/13 10:40 PM

Depending on the age of the OP, he could still become an Elite Angler. However, I suggest picking up a copy of Malcolm Gladwell's book, "Outliers", and reading the chapter that speaks about the "10,000 hour rule".

For those that are unfamiliar, it speaks about the success of the Beatles, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc. and how not only were they extremely talented and driven individuals, but they were also very lucky- they were in the right place at the right time to gain the experience and knowledge to become experts in their field while others were still learning the basics.

I don't know if it would take 10,000 hours on the lake to become an elite pro, but if you aren't spending 8 hours a day doing it, you might as well just have fun and take some pictures of these awesome creatures that bless us with tight lines and big smiles.

Good luck to ya.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/23/13 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: mike 266
Depending on the age of the OP, he could still become an Elite Angler. However, I suggest picking up a copy of Malcolm Gladwell's book, "Outliers", and reading the chapter that speaks about the "10,000 hour rule".

For those that are unfamiliar, it speaks about the success of the Beatles, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc. and how not only were they extremely talented and driven individuals, but they were also very lucky- they were in the right place at the right time to gain the experience and knowledge to become experts in their field while others were still learning the basics.

I don't know if it would take 10,000 hours on the lake to become an elite pro, but if you aren't spending 8 hours a day doing it, you might as well just have fun and take some pictures of these awesome creatures that bless us with tight lines and big smiles.

Good luck to ya.

+1

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/23/13 01:16 PM

Here is my comment about the money: If you don't have enough passion and internal desire to do what it takes to save the money to atleast go fish the Opens, then there is no way that you have the passion and internal desire to be a Pro. Taking a second job, changing your spending habits for two years, working on weekends to make extra money any way you can....these are all things that take significantly less commitment and less heart than it takes to get up EVERY day that you can and be on the water regardless of weather, lake, region, how you did the day before or the event before and stay focused on what you are doing to try to win enough money to be a Pro. Someone GIVING you money can NOT give you the passion that it will take.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/23/13 01:47 PM

Hmm let me see if I am correct
pro's and non pro's on this Talk Forum please answer something for me?

Is this a talk Forum ?
Can you post your opinions on here ?

And most of all didn't I apologize to everyone about any disrespect that I might have caused

Sorry I didn't continue arguing last night I was tired and went to bed
And today after I was done with work I posted again
Not because I was waiting for my opportunity to change my story
Opinions are just that an OPINION

ONCE AGAIN I AM SORRY FOR THE DISRESPECT THAT I MAY HAVE INFLICTED ON SOME PEOPLE I did not intend to sound like that.

Anyone can express their opinion on here. No one is saying you can't, but when you step out there like you did you better be ready to stand some pretty strong rebuttal.

You not only stated an opinion, you pretty much talked smack by saying you could fish with any pro. That my friend, opened you up to a being a target. That's just how the cookie crumbles on here.

cheer
Posted By: -Shawn-

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament - 07/23/13 03:25 PM

This made me laugh!

popcorn2

They get
Boat
Reels
Rods
Baits
Trucks
Money

Is that what you said?

Dude, if you think this way you are no where close to being ready to fish against these guys.........

Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference in skill between a weekend club angler and an elite angler.... HUGEEEEE!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum