Texas Fishing Forum

Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS

Posted By: north-toledo09

Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 02:38 AM

Looking at new boats and I am down to these too. I had a 20XS Triton but really like the Legends. Some of you guys that have one or the other give me your thoughts.
Posted By: Peter L.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 02:45 AM

Love my triton buuuuuttttt the quality in craftsmanship and just the overall quality of parts and components TO ME is just not there at all. Ask any other Triton guy thats owned one for a long period of time and they'll tell you. For overall quality, I would definitely go with Ranger hands down.
Posted By: Dax Davis

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 02:47 AM

I've had a legend for a long time like every thing about a legend! Legend is a good all around boat and you can have a one of a kind boat built that no one else will have!
Posted By: Klinger N Ok

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 03:12 AM

My buddy won a 21XS last fall at the ABA AOY tourney and I gotta say it's one of the better riding boats I've ever been in. I'd bet it is a lot drier ride than the Legend. I can say without a doubt the 21XS is MUCH smoother and drier than the Ranger Z21 he had before.
The Legends are finished out really nice and their attention to detail is great, but I am just not a fan of their layout.
Posted By: 2manyrangers

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 03:33 AM

Love my Ranger Z521, if the deck was wider on the Legend, I would seriously consider the Alpha 211r.
Posted By: RJohnson

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 03:46 AM

The Triton looks like the better real world fishing boat.Legend needs to learn the "LESS IS SOMETIMES MORE" concept.I could not pay for lighted garbage truck handles on my boat.The new C Rangers look really nice and clean...
Posted By: lake fork guide Mark Watson

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 04:22 AM

There's a Legend for sale on the trading post by Skeeter Fowler, it's an unreal buy for what your getting. I've been in the boat, it's in great shape, clean as a whistle.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 11:51 AM

I've owned three Triton's. Two were 21's and one was a 22. All great boats. I have an Alpha 211 now. It is a great boat too. I've had but one complaint about my boat. The front deck is a little narrow. The 2013 Alpha 211's front deck has been widened to accommodate the needs of the fishermen. It is now 1" wider at the butt seat than the 21' Ranger. Go check it out.
Posted By: TexBbq

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 12:27 PM

I have been looking at Ranger, Skeeter, Triton and Legend. Have fished out of all but Legend. Took a demo ride at Legend of Lake Fork and have to say it was smoother, more comfortable and easier to handle than the other three.
Posted By: Skeeterag99

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 12:27 PM

had a triton, and wont ever own one again. never had legend but looked at em, decks are too narrow.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 12:38 PM

I have only owned Ranger and Triton, Legend is a fine looking boat and is well made, I think the front deck is too narrow. I have a buddy who has a brand new one, he has sent it back a couple of times for different reasons, he is wanting to sell it, it is loaded, pm me and I will give you his number if you like. That Triton 21 XS is a really nice rig, I have a 21 HP now and am considering getting the XS next. Good luck with your decision.
Posted By: J R Trower

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 12:52 PM

I have a 2013 20XS with a 250 SHO. We are blessed to get a new Triton every year and have to say this has been my favorite of all of them. Rides in Tritons and Rangers can be arranged at Texas Boat World.
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 12:56 PM

I have no dog in the hunt but the Triton is the better boat - legend knew that thay have problems and the new designed boats are wider and deeper for more storage , The have tried to make it more stable but with the gas tanks where they are , back wash and an unbalacced center has caused them lots of problems - if you don't compare it to the top of the line boats it's o k but they do not redesign boats that are succesful and they have redesigned it for a reason. to try to get on par with the top of the line boats
Posted By: Michael LaFleur

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 02:17 PM

I have a 2013 Triton 21xs , I will not say it is the only boat to buy because there are a lot of good boat out there . It is how ever the best rough water ride I have every been in . The XS hull is the way to go.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 03:38 PM

Legends ride and look great but I will never own one due to high gunnle, narrow deck and weird storage. I have heard good things about te ride of newer tritons and they have a big deck. I would go triton out of the two u are looking at. But I still think if u want a new boat 21i skeeter 20,21fx skeeter or a z520-22 ranger can't be beat I have a 2004zx 225 and it has been a work horse and no it dosn't have stress cracks and I have hit almost every stump in fork with it!! Haha jk but really Skeeter and Ranger are the best combo of ride speed and comfortable fishing platform
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 03:59 PM

Triton XS is great in rough water and has good storage. Nice boats!!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 04:07 PM

On one hand, I love my 1997 Triton and it's held up really well. On the other hand, they're not made at the same plant or owned by the same folks as when mine was made. So pick your poison I guess.
Originally Posted By: Peter L.
Love my triton buuuuuttttt the quality in craftsmanship and just the overall quality of parts and components TO ME is just not there at all. Ask any other Triton guy thats owned one for a long period of time and they'll tell you.
I've owned a Triton as long as anybody since I've got a 1997 model that we bought brand new (first year they started making fiberglass boats). Mine doesn't look too much worse than it did when we drove it off the lot at North Texas Marine. The bottom of the hull has taken a beating from lots of fishing, but most of the major components have held up remarkably well. Had to replace a livewell pump a couple years ago, but that's it. Seats, carpet, lids, deck, dash, etc. are all pretty much bone stock.
Posted By: Peter L.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
On one hand, I love my 1997 Triton and it's held up really well. On the other hand, they're not made at the same plant or owned by the same folks as when mine was made. So pick your poison I guess.
Love my triton buuuuuttttt the quality in craftsmanship and just the overall quality of parts and components TO ME is just not there at all. Ask any other Triton guy thats owned one for a long period of time and they'll tell you.
I've owned a Triton as long as anybody since I've got a 1997 model that we bought brand new (first year they started making fiberglass boats). Mine doesn't look too much worse than it did when we drove it off the lot at North Texas Marine. The bottom of the hull has taken a beating from lots of fishing, but most of the major components have held up remarkably well. Had to replace a livewell pump a couple years ago, but that's it. Seats, carpet, lids, deck, dash, etc. are all pretty much bone stock.

Can't say it's because of new ownership or not but TO ME tritons have more negatives than positives. Every boat has problems but when you have been in the business for so long and the quality of parts and components really have not matched up to the actual price of the boat, something is wrong. Why pay 55k-66k for a boat from the manufacturer and when you get it their is stress cracks all over it. Biggest problems with triton along with compartments accumulating moisture and rubber seal doesn't even seal if it even last more than a year without warping. Just my experience and what other die hard triton owners tell me. Good boat I just wish they put more emphasis on the components quality.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 04:59 PM

I have an interesting perspective on this because my tournament partner has a Triton 2006 X20 and I have a 2012 Legend Alpha 199. For me, I love the bells and whistles the Legend comes with like the O2 tank on the boat for the live wells plus the size of the live wells is dramatically different than his. The extra courtesy lights in the storage boxes and live wells is also something I really like but I don't know if the new Tritons come with those as well. My boat also has a much better hole shot than his and in my opinion, it rides a little better too. To me, they fish about the same despite my boat being smaller. I have never had an issue with anything related to storage on the boat either and if you are looking at a 211 instead of the 199, the storage is even better. The best part about Legend for me has been the customer service...there are a ton of stories out there about some incredible customer service stories with Legend. To me, it's unparalleled but I'm sure someone can also come on here and report a bad one but the norm with Legend is excellent customer service. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk further.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 05:06 PM

I have had 5 and my son has had 3, not one of them have given us a problem, guess we are lucky. wink
Originally Posted By: patriot07

Can't say it's because of new ownership or not but TO ME tritons have more negatives than positives. Every boat has problems but when you have been in the business for so long and the quality of parts and components really have not matched up to the actual price of the boat, something is wrong. Why pay 55k-66k for a boat from the manufacturer and when you get it their is stress cracks all over it. Biggest problems with triton along with compartments accumulating moisture and rubber seal doesn't even seal if it even last more than a year without warping. Just my experience and what other die hard triton owners tell me. Good boat I just wish they put more emphasis on the components quality.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/29/13 05:08 PM

LEGEND X 1
Posted By: north-toledo09

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 01:34 AM

Thanks for the response's who can tell me more about this new 211R model. The Legend website really has no info on this model
Posted By: moto382

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 01:52 AM

I have a 2002 triton and it still is all original except for the seats just had them re done last year. The only thing that has ever went wrong is the trim motor went out once. All live well & bilge pumps are original and still work fine even the graphs that came with boat still work. But like patriot07 said not owned by the same people anymore.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:01 AM

Legend by a long shot.
Posted By: David Parker

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:07 AM

Legend for quality build and customer service.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:34 AM

Stress cracks, leaks, bad seals? Never heard of any of that from another Triton owner. To each their own I guess.
Posted By: Jason Gilstrap

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: north-toledo09
Thanks for the response's who can tell me more about this new 211R model. The Legend website really has no info on this model

The new 2013 Alpha 211 Legends. they widen the deck about 1 inch or little more. they raise the back deck 3'' to help the co-angler fish better out of the back of the boat and to make more room in the battery/back deck compartment area.

They also added a big day box right in front of the driver console. The front day box is still option (bow of the deck).

If you have any questions about the new Legend boats...just call the owner of legend Randy..He will answer any of your questions.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:40 AM

Get one like this:

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:43 AM

I thought that boat was coming over the trailer! Crazy !

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:46 AM

Ps! I know of a local triton that they wouldn't stand behind After The top cap started collapsing under the seats... Well, after a huge lawsuit they stood behind it.. It was a 2-3 year old top of the line boat Lol!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:54 AM

Triton by a long shot.
Posted By: blueduck

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 03:00 AM

I just purchased a 2013 21XS and it's probably the most comfortable fishing platform I've ever owned. This is my second Triton, first being a 19X3 Pro with a Merc 225. Prior to buying my new boat I looked at a Legend and asked a Legend rep to tell me the good and bad about a Legend. He would not answer but to say "If I didn't get one to use, I wouldn't have one." Since I have never been in a Legend, I can't comment on much except they look nice. Good Luck on your purchase whatever brand it turns out to be.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 03:22 AM

I have never owned a Triton but when I have looked at them the quality does not looks as good as the Legend. I have a buddy that as a 211 with 250 PRO XS and it is a really good riding boat. The deck is a little narrow in comparison to my Z522 but you will get use to it. I have fish many hours out of it on Fork in the wind and it does a great job. You will not be disappointed in a Legend they are really good boats.
Posted By: VetteRprMan

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 04:06 AM

We have a 2010 Legend Alpha 211. Great boat. Never had one problem with the boat itself. The trolling motor gave me trouble after about ten months. Randy had a brand new one sent to me. No charge! We have three graphs on it. One stopped working last month. They sent me a new one at cost. I am extremely picky! I have never been more pleased with a product. We are planning on ordering a 2014 soon. Excellent customer service!!!
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 04:10 AM

I've had a couple tritons and have a new '14 ordered right now. I have never had a single problem with them. I wouldn't have anything but a triton, smooth ride and fishes great.
Posted By: creekbeater

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 08:07 AM

Jerry Dean used to say "once a Bass Cat,always a Bass Cat"
Then it was Legend.Now It's Skeeter.
Posted By: Falconer

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 10:23 AM

If you want a boat for big water the Triton 21xs is the best ride. I have been in every model triton since they started making them and this is by far the best hull and layout they have built. Call Cliff at Texas Boat World , he has Rangers and Tritons , ask him .
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: north-toledo09
Looking at new boats and I am down to these too. I had a 20XS Triton but really like the Legends. Some of you guys that have one or the other give me your thoughts.
Legend without a doubt wouldn't have a Triton. Fished with a friend who had a Ray Scott limited edition and I could see why he was wearing a Ranger jacket and cap.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: creekbeater
Jerry Dean used to say "once a Bass Cat,always a Bass Cat"
Then it was Legend.Now It's Skeeter.
How is Jerry Dean saying anything?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 12:05 PM

IF you can get a pay raise check into a Ranger Z520
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 12:34 PM

I would go the Triton route. My tournament partner has a 21XS and it is an unreal boat. It's not super fast but rides better than any boat I have been in. Rides soft and will take huge waves with ease. Tons of storage and a huge, stable platform.

I have two friends that own Legends and both are not happy with them. One, the carpet has come loose on the deck lids, rub rail rivets keep coming out, seats seams tearing etc. The other just hates the way it handles. It is a beautiful boat and I asked him a few months ago how it liked it. He said he hated it. I asked him why and his quote was, " because its just not the quality of a Ranger, Triton or Skeeter". The boat is for sale now.

Good luck with your decision.
Posted By: Michael LaFleur

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 02:55 PM

I would go with a cobra , I mean Hawk, I mean fisher. Or legend there all the same old boat with new paint get an extra long troll motor shaft you will need it and don't stop fast or you will get wet.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
IF you can get a pay raise check into a Ranger Z520
. Nah... He wants a fast boat-smooth riding boat..lol
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 03:21 PM

Posted By: MikeW07

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 06:23 PM

I have had 2 Tritons (TR186 and then a 19X) both good boats. No real issues as far as quality but issues in the long term. Lots of spider cracks in the gel coat (nothing structural just looked bad) but on the last one lots of osmosis blisters under the bunks, little things like the dash screws coming loose. Boat ran fine and fished fine.

That said - I just picked up my new Legend Alpha 211R. Not a whole lot of seat time in it yet but ride seems better (but its a bigger boat) so we'll see - The detail in the legand is much better to start with. Everything fits right, all screws and bolts tighted down right. Overall much cleaner start up. Hardly any plastic stuff in the trim which I like.

I see the complaints about the front deck above but coming out of the TR19X seems like an aircraft carrier deck to me so no opinion on that. I was a little concerned on the different storage layout but after a couple of trips and some adjustments it actually works better for me.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: M T L
I would go with a cobra , I mean Hawk, I mean fisher. Or legend there all the same old boat with new paint get an extra long troll motor shaft you will need it and don't stop fast or you will get wet.

You are saying the new Legends are the same hull as the old Cobra, Hawk, or Fisher? You are kidding, right?
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 06:44 PM

I'm not going to bash any other boat I DON'T own so, I'll just say a Legend is the only boat I will own. Never an issue and if there were its pretty well known the level of customer service you get with Legend.
Posted By: bus driver

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Z520 Cranker

I have two friends that own Legends and both are not happy with them. One, the carpet has come loose on the deck lids, rub rail rivets keep coming out, seats seams tearing etc. The other just hates the way it handles. It is a beautiful boat and I asked him a few months ago how it liked it. He said he hated it. I asked him why and his quote was, " because its just not the quality of a Ranger, Triton or Skeeter". The boat is for sale now.

Had the same problems Z520 Cranker is laying on the Legend with my two previous Rangers and three Tritons.

hmmm
Posted By: CSK

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 07:35 PM

I looked at Legends hard and fished out of many Tritons. They just don't hold a candle to a Ranger in fit/finish and fishability.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ToadSnatcher14

That boat will not run 74 mph...BS.. I passed Bill Wilcox's Legend with a 250 on Lake Tyler like it was sitting still in a BLT tournament when he had a Legend. They run more like 68-70mph in reality. They are gorgeous boats but they do not run mid 70's. I was in a Triton with a 225....
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 08:44 PM

75.1 is my top speed recorded on my gps. No it wasn't on the trailer. I get 73 no problem tournament load.
Posted By: MikeW07

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 08:45 PM

I'd have to agree that day in and day out normal loads it won't run mid 70's. Just finished breakin so haven't really tried to push it but at 5500 was running right at 68-69. So best is likely low 70's 71 maybe 72. All things right and light load you probably could get 75 maybe. The difference to me was that in my Triton starting at about 64 I would be dealing with the chine walk after that just got worse. The bigger 21' triton might be different but not from what I've seen. No chine at all on the Legend at 68+ - above that I'll have to see. I ran tritons since 2000 so I could deal with the chine at the higher speeds but you had to pay attention to it.

So if you want blistering speed - Bass Cat or if you really want a rocket take a look at the new bullet bass boats I hear they're in the 90mph range.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by MikeW07
I'd have to agree that day in and day out normal loads it won't run mid 70's. Just finished breakin so haven't really tried to push it but at 5500 was running right at 68-69. So best is likely low 70's 71 maybe 72. All things right and light load you probably could get 75 maybe. The difference to me was that in my Triton starting at about 64 I would be dealing with the chine walk after that just got worse. The bigger 21' triton might be different but not from what I've seen. No chine at all on the Legend at 68+ - above that I'll have to see. I ran tritons since 2000 so I could deal with the chine at the higher speeds but you had to pay attention to it.

So if you want blistering speed - Bass Cat or if you really want a rocket take a look at the new bullet bass boats I hear they're in the 90mph range.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LL2c_nivd_U[/video]
^^^
Bass cats are fast too but a Triton 21HP is a 80+mph boat with a 250 Mercury Pro XS and a 27P Fury Prop. That is loaded with dual power poles.

Posted By: Accutrigger33

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Lane

That boat will not run 74 mph...BS.. I passed Bill Wilcox's Legend with a 250 on Lake Tyler like it was sitting still in a BLT tournament when he had a Legend. They run more like 68-70mph in reality. They are gorgeous boats but they do not run mid 70's. I was in a Triton with a 225....

u are false my friend...i had mine at 73 on gps just the other day with my father in boat to witness
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 05/31/13 11:57 PM

That a boy Accutrigger! And Legend will keep ur balls in check!

www.http//.ridewithurmomma.com
Posted By: Legend08

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 01:16 AM

Free ride in my Legend in Cow Creek!

[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb261...0359D314BC6.mp4[/img]

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Accutrigger33

u are false my friend...i had mine at 73 on gps just the other day with my father in boat to witness

Well it must have a 300XS on it....
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 02:01 AM

They're all overpriced junk these days. All manufactures use close to the same products from the same couple of manufactures. Just do a little research and you'll see. They all have problems, that's what a boat is, an expensive problem. I personally like the lay out and adjustable drivers seat in the triton. Fit and finish, there's not much difference.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Accutrigger33

Well it must have a 300XS on it....

nope...just a 200... laugh
Posted By: borntofish1

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 03:01 AM

I just sold my triton.. Pros: Spacious front deck, good storage, Good fishing boat. Couple complaints: not enough attention to detail,not enoough attention to detail. I hate small things falling apart. Gas smell in each compartment; Can be a back breaking ride at times.

Just purchased a new Alpha 211. They pay attention to detail.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14
That a boy Accutrigger! And Legend will keep ur balls in check!

www.http//.ridewithurmomma.com

No more aching nuts since I switched from a Triton to a Legend!!

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 05:26 PM

if your running a 2005 or newer 20 or 21 foot Triton and have sore nuts you can't drive. I have to admit the first Triton I had was rough and a son of a gun to drive, it was a 1998 TR-21, since 05 they have made a really good fishing boat.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
if your running a 2005 or newer 20 or 21 foot Triton and have sore nuts you can't drive. I have to admit the first Triton I had was rough and a son of a gun to drive, it was a 1998 TR-21, since 05 they have made a really good fishing boat.

Legends can pretty much drive themselves

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbuck200

Legends are slow and have a narrow front deck. If you want a narrow deck, you may as well buy an Allison...at least it is fast.. lol
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Fast Lane

Legends are slow and have a narrow front deck. If you want a narrow deck, you may as well buy an Allison...at least it is fast.. lol

Then your stuck with an Allison

Did you read the posts where they said they widened the Legends or you just have a hate for the brand?

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: txwhitetail

Did you read the posts where they said they widened the Legends or you just have a hate for the brand?

i believe he has a special relationship with his triton...maybe even sleeps with it!

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/01/13 09:06 PM

Ha your probably right! I guess some people just like to drive fast when they can't catch any fish!

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/02/13 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: txwhitetail

I think they are pretty boats. I just don't like tall tales about them and don't mind calling BS.
Posted By: bus driver

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/02/13 01:44 AM

I think they are pretty boats. I just don't like tall tales about them and don't mind calling BS.

It just so happens that I have a 2007 TR21HP/250XS and a 2012 Alpha 211/250XS sitting in the garage and the front decks measure the same, no the Legend is not a lot narrower. Having many hours at the controls of both boats, yes the Legend will GPS out 75+ and so will the Triton both with 25P props depending on the loads of both. Both are good riding boats, fish shallow and take big water good. The biggest difference between them is the hole shot, the Legend will jump out onto plane with any load whereas the Trition will not especially with a full load.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/02/13 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: bus driver

It just so happens that I have a 2007 TR21HP/250XS and a 2012 Alpha 211/250XS sitting in the garage and the front decks measure the same, no the Legend is not a lot narrower. Having many hours at the controls of both boats, yes the Legend will GPS out 75+ and so will the Triton both with 25P props depending on the loads of both. Both are good riding boats, fish shallow and take big water good. The biggest difference between them is the hole shot, the Legend will jump out onto plane with any load whereas the Trition will not especially with a full load.

I had the Boatcenter in Flint fix something on mine and they messed my throttle linkage up and it will not go to W.O.T. only about 3/4. When I get that adjusted in couple of weeks we can find out if that Legend 211 will run 75+ thumb
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/02/13 05:11 PM

I am partial to my Skeeter. But, everything I have heard about the Legend boats has been great. You can custom design it. I met the guys that came out from Graham to prefish for the Legends of Lake Fork tournament the weekend before and jack-potted the Media tournament and won it. His had a Lime green in the scheme. But, the best part was they had done his windshields Lime green and his power poles. It was a pretty cool looking boat.
Posted By: Shad Fisherman

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/03/13 05:34 PM

Ive had both Triton are not dry and handle horrible in wind not to include they walk very bad when going over 70 Legend is a dryer ride handles better just an all out better boat if i choose its ranger all day oh yea skeeters are wet as hell avoind them
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/03/13 06:39 PM

Been in both and don't really like either one. But if I had to choose it would be the Triton. Glad I don't have to,,I'll stick with my 21' 9" Charger. IMO it's the best ride out there.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/03/13 08:06 PM

I have not been in either and didnt want to, one time boat rides don't always mean much to me. I did however look at several boats recently. All the top boats seem to be well made. The ledgend is a really good looking boat, they have some really sharp colors.

I looked at both Ledgend, Triton pretty hard. Almost bought a Triton that was a yr old or so, but ended up buying a Phoenix. I would have no problem running a Triton. I think as far as layout, haul desigh and etc, I would take it over a Ledgend. The 21 HP or whichever one it is appears to getup and move pretty good for alarge boat.

I get along really well with my 921 Phoenix, first time in it, was like I've had it all my life. With that said, come next time to get a boat, if I find a deal on Triton I wouldnt have a problem buying one. I think any of the Rangers, Tritons, Ledgend, Phoenix, Bass Cats and others are all good boats and it depends on the person.
Posted By: Jeremy S.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/03/13 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Shad Fisherman
Ive had both Triton are not dry and handle horrible in wind not to include they walk very bad when going over 70 Legend is a dryer ride handles better just an all out better boat if i choose its ranger all day oh yea skeeters are wet as hell avoind them

Sounds to me like you need to ride with different people. Skeeters not wet in any conditions a sane man would be out in. Tritons, you'd never know they walked if you rode with me, they ride like luxury cars and there are people on here who have ridden with me who can attest to that (ddantidwell can also hold a straight line in a triton running 78 mph and I'm sure others can too). I've had bass cat owners tell me how smooth my old Triton was in bad weather as well, it's all in the driver.

And Rangers, they can be real wet and rough when the lake is seriously rolling, it's still a boat even if it's the Cadillac of boats. I fished with elkhartdom last Wednesday morning in one of the nicest Ranger 521's I've ever seen and the weather was awful, wind was kicking, waves were rolling, and guess what, we were soaking wet by the time we made it across the lake. Any boat will ride wet in weather that bad, even a Legend.

There's not a "bad" boat anymore, different characteristics sure but they can all be wet and rough if the weather is bad enough. Buy the one you like best with a good dealer nearby.

Re: Looking at new boats Legend or Triton 21 XS - 06/04/13 02:25 AM

Get the 21 XS with a 300 Xs and it will run 80 and ride with any boat out there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum