Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS

Posted By: Lake Fork Guide- James Caldemeyer

Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 01:07 AM

Here’s a quick report for all the tournament anglers headed this way and anyone else that might be headed out to Lake Fork for some great bass fishing fun this week…

The lake has been fishing AWESOME this week with lots of action from shallow to deep! The bass are still finishing up their spawn and lots of hungry bass are starting to move into their post spawn patterns also. The lake is in great shape! Water levels are over 4 feet low though so be careful when you are running and stay close to the boat lane markers.
The best bite by far this week has been on top water baits. I am catching lots of big bass with my clients on main lake points, secondary points, and the backs of spawning coves on yellow magics, zara spooks, and frogs. If you find an area that has some grass or a hard bottom it is best. There are a lot of fish that are guarding fry right now in 2-6 feet depths and if you drag a bait through them the bass will attack. Otherwise just look for the birds to point you in the direction of the shad and the bass will be nearby. When you find the right spot you will know pretty quick. The big fish have been killing it! Just ask Martin Mendez from Elk City, Ok who caught his new personal best weighing 10.2 lbs fishing with me this week. The explosion on his bait was HUGE and so was she! It is definitely an awesome way to catch fish and lots of fun too.
My other top producer this week has been a swim bait. Big swim baits have been best and if you got em, throw em! You can catch a giant on one right now. I like the Berkley Hollow Belly in the 6” size. Best colors have been gizzard shad and hitch. Fishing them in similar areas to top waters has been good in 2-6 feet of water. I am also throwing even bigger baits like a 3:16 mission fish and Talon. I like to fish these baits on the windiest banks that I can find. There are still good amounts of shad that are spawning and the bass are feeding on them.
There are still a number of bass that are spawning and I expect another wave of fish to come into the shallows around this May full moon. My best baits for targeting them is a Berkley Chigger Craw or a Berkley Havoc Craw Fatty fished around shallow stumps with a ¼ oz Elite Tungsten weight and a 4/0 wide gap hook. Best colors have been watermelon candy, Okeechobee, and green pumpkin. I am also catching a lot of bedding fish on the “New” Berkley Powerbait Rib Snake rigged weightless and dead sticking it in spawning areas. The great part about this bait is not only the action of it but also the trademark Powerbait scent that makes spawning bass hold onto the bait longer. This bait has been awesome this spring so check it out! They are in stock at Lake Fork Marina in all available colors.
The deep fishing is also picking up and lots of hungry post spawn bass are showing up on humps, points, roadbeds, pond dams, and ridges in 15-22 feet of water. My Lowrance HDS Touch screen 12 has been lighting up when I go over a school of fish. The bass are holding close to the shad. Some of the bass are suspended and harder to catch with deep diving crank baits and swim baits like the Berkley Swim Shad while other schools of bass have been planted on the bottom in feeding mode. My go to is the Carolina rig on a 7’6” medium heavy Abu Garcia Villian or Veritas rod with a Revo reel spooled up with some 20 lb Trilene 100% fluorocarbon line and a 15-17 lb leader. I like to use a 1 oz Elite Tungsten weight and a 3/0 hook. I have been catching a number of fish with the new Berkley Rib Snake as well as the Berkley Havoc Bottom Hopper. The best colors have been watermelon and green pumpkin. If you want to catch a big one out deep then you will want to break out the football jig too! A Talon Lures 3/4 – 1 oz football head jig with a Berkley Havoc Pit Chunk trailer is hard to beat. I am throwing this in the same areas as the Carolina rig and dragging it or hopping it through these deep schools of bass. Best colors right now are green pumpkin, willies, and California.
I hope this information helps you in pursuit of a trophy bass on Lake Fork this week. I want to wish everyone well that is coming out for the upcoming tournaments on Lake Fork! If you are thinking of coming out and would like to book a trip this summer for some great deep-water action, feel free to contact me. It’s a great time to learn your electronics and catch lots of fish. I still have a few dates available and will work hard to put you on the fish of your dreams! You can contact me to book your trip by email at lakeforktrophybass@yahoo.com or give me a call at 903-736-9888 Also, visit my website to find out more information about Lake Fork bass fishing and my guide service at www.officiallakeforktrophybass.com You can also keep up with me by joining my new Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/lakeforkfishingguides
I am running the new 2013 Ranger Z520c and man is this new boat model awesome! All my clients love fishing out of this boat! Be sure to go by Diamond Sports Marine on Hwy 154 here at Lake Fork and see these new 2013 Ranger Boats. If you are in the market for a new boat this year and would like to take a test ride, feel free to contact me or call the dealership at 903-383-7829 and we will get you out on the water for a demo in one! I would like to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for another year that He has blessed me with as well as all of my great 2013 Sponsors: Ranger Boats, Mercury Outboards, I Am Second, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Interstate Batteries, Lowrance, Talon Lures, Elite Tungsten, Hamby’s, Navionics, Simms, Hydrowave, and Power Pole.

Matt 11:28: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Tight Lines and God Bless,
James Caldemeyer
Posted By: GrassProShop Jim

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 01:14 AM

I don't trust the weight of the fish from that first guy in the red shirt! rolfmao

J/k..........nice fish for your clients James!!

Jim

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 01:20 AM

Haha... Yeah, he's hilarious to fish with! Him and his daughter showed up in those shirts and I cracked up. He spoke spanish words I've never heard when that bass hit his top water bait lol. Thanks Jim
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 01:25 AM

Great report. Thank you for sharing and helping people catch some PIGS.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 01:25 AM

great report!
Posted By: Stax®

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
great report!
Posted By: wormman

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 01:38 AM

Awesome report James
Posted By: MARK PACK

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 02:57 AM

thumb
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 02:57 AM

Very detailed report....good job J.C.
Posted By: Scott A.

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 03:17 AM

How long will you stay on one windy point before moving if you're not getting bit?
Posted By: Weltonio

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 03:35 AM

Dude! Those are some big fish!
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 03:53 AM

Rain going to change the pattern? Great report ....solid patterns ....just wonder what the storms will alter....
Posted By: DuctsZX250

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 03:59 AM

Great report...thanks James.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 11:28 AM

Is that Larry Osborn in the fouth photo???

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 11:34 AM

Yes sir Rodney
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 11:57 AM

Nice work James
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 03:04 PM

Good report James!

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott A.
How long will you stay on one windy point before moving if you're not getting bit?

Not very long. Been jumping around a lot as these fish are on the move... When you find em tho its payday !
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 05:53 PM

Nice Hogs and a super report. Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: CranknHerm

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 06:44 PM

Thanks, James!
Posted By: BassinButch

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 07:49 PM

Thanks
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 08:25 PM

Bout time you posted some of those bigguns you've been catching!
Great report! Sounds like we should hit the mother load in a few weeks, see ya soon.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 08:31 PM

very nice bass!!!
Posted By: day86

Re: Lake Fork Trophy Bass Fishing Report May 15, 2013 BIG FISH PICS - 05/16/13 09:13 PM

Good looking bass.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum