Texas Fishing Forum

Navigating Lake Palestine

Posted By: Read Matt 4:19

Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/09/13 06:29 PM

Fishing Lake Palestine this weekend. I have heard stories of how bad it is to run the lake if you are unfamiliar with it,and no viisble boat lanes. Don't want any fishing advice just trying to save my boat. Can you run the lake or is the north end just unsafe. Where does unsafe conditions start.
Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/09/13 06:31 PM

the only water on that lake that's "wide open" so to speak is around them dam. That lake is super sketch
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/09/13 06:34 PM

I don't run north of the main bridge much at all. Been fishing the lake for 3 years. I will run from the bridge to the villages up the east side but never have been on plane anywhere else north of the bridge. My advice both for saving your boat and fishing is put in at Highsaw/Ledbetter or Flat and go fishing.
Posted By: Jeremy E

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/09/13 06:35 PM

Its almost impossible to describe how to run it.. best bet is to put in at the ramp and just watch how people run it. If you know where you wanna go, wait till you see someone going that direction and follow them.

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/09/13 07:02 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. How far north of the dam can you run before you get into trouble. Example caney creek area, flat Creek area or further north.
Posted By: silverZX225

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/09/13 07:24 PM

Running North of 155.....
stay to the East side 20-30 yards out from boat docks.
safe up past 'pump station' and then when you get near Villages idle only, UNLESS you find someone to follow.
There are stumps above 155 in middle & on the Caney side. Lake is clear from East side across into Flat Creek but stop 30+ yrds before 315 bridge.
Fishing for fun or tourney?

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/09/13 07:55 PM

Fishing the F.O.M. tournament. Looking forward to enjoying the day just worried about were to run without getting into trouble.
Posted By: BASS COACH

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/09/13 08:49 PM

Ran the old jeep trail to Kickapoo one time with Ricky Vandergriff. Now that was interesting!!!!
Posted By: hookedon

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/10/13 08:50 PM

PM Sent and don'r follow anyone I seen someone this past weekend that thought that was a great idea center a stump
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 04/10/13 09:01 PM

Lots of places to get in trouble on Palestine. South end is pretty clear if you stay close to the banks. If you go north of the villages go slow and be careful. Pm me if you need any other assistance.
Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 02/03/16 03:13 PM

Just came across this old post. I'm familiar with the power lines and pipelines up north, but is there a map that shows the general area of the Jeep trail? I've heard of it but have no clue where it runs.
Posted By: bus driver

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 02/03/16 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: lcbl75771
Just came across this old post. I'm familiar with the power lines and pipelines up north, but is there a map that shows the general area of the Jeep trail? I've heard of it but have no clue where it runs.

Old road that's winding like a snake from way out in front of Old Folks around Hawn point around the back side of Old Folks towards Kickapoo.
Posted By: Black cat 62

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 02/04/16 12:00 AM

Love to fish Palestine in somebody else boat. Lol
Posted By: 4976sc

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 02/04/16 12:28 AM

Good thing you researched before going. I went to school at ut Tyler and fished there occasionally and I would run hard up past the bridge and all the way up to pine cove. I did stay on the east side of the lake when I ran and luckily I never hit anything. But now after reading all the horror stories I may never go back to that lake. I feel like I got away with one there
Posted By: djones03

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 02/04/16 12:32 AM

I was in the same boat last year (pun intended), I launched at ledbetter, and went south. That area is somewhat clear, I ran it, but I talked to the folks at the marina first about where was ok down south. If you hold about 40 yds off the docks on the east side of the lake going south, you should be good.

I did trailer to kickapoo, but it was idle only for me there
Posted By: wild bill

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 02/04/16 12:52 AM

JEEP Trail... been fishing Palestine for 30 plus years I ran the jeep trail for years AINT going to happen now There are some locals that can run all the way to the 315 bridge an above by taking the pipeline to west bank an cutting close to the west bank Best to contact "stew" on here He can supply you with a map that shows areas that you can nearly run safely on Palestine.

wild bill
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 02/04/16 02:18 AM

Several years ago, you could see the jeep trail, but timber has fallen and those stumps are just below the surface! Pipeline is good, but I only run it if the lake is down a little! If the lake is a foot low, everything changes on where to run! Hire Tom Mayne for a day for navigating the lake!
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Navigating Lake Palestine - 02/08/16 07:05 AM

Originally Posted By: lcbl75771

Don't even try it. You will pucker worse than the ride I gave you coming back from Old Folks!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum