Texas Fishing Forum

Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ?

Posted By: KickerFish29

Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 07:24 PM

I have been noticing that a lot of the local lakes have been kicking out some GIANT tournament sacks, for example 32lbs on Eagle Mountain and 29lbs on Grapevine not to mention lots of big fish being posted from lakes that aren't exactly known for bigguns. So what do y'all think? Is it more the fisherman figuring out the lakes or is this due to the amount of people who practice catch and release?
Posted By: Bass Johnson

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 07:31 PM

Alabama Rig
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 07:32 PM

Must be all the wonderful input on the Tff.
Posted By: CTA

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 07:32 PM

It's the equipment. Flat bill hats, jerseys and white sunglasses.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 07:34 PM

Stickers and wrapped boats
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:12 PM

Fish cages/3rd livewells...

...and of course, jerseys...
Posted By: Fishingbw

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:14 PM

Maybe because the bass are spawning and that makes the big females vulnerable to sight fishing?
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:26 PM

CPR
Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:38 PM

lake levels
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:39 PM

A-rigs
Posted By: Gilly62

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:39 PM

Yea I agree. It seems every tournament I see on Ray Hubbard now you have to have at least 20 LBS to get a check. Same with the lakes previously mentioned. Even Lewisville has been bringing in some big sacks.
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:41 PM

I would think it is a combination of lots of factors. Lake cycles, lake management, weather patterns, and of course access to better electronics.
Posted By: Bay Kirkham

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Dickenson
lake levels
this and the time of year
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 08:48 PM

A-rigs and 15%'ers
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 09:17 PM

side imaging
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
side imaging

Probably the best way to find fish in our older lakes.Makes them fish larger.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 09:51 PM

Power poles.
Posted By: Grease Bath

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 09:59 PM

[/quote] I agree with it being the time of year, but I fish Eagle Mountain and have been for a while now and it seems that each year it produces bigger and bigger fish [/quote]

I think Eagle Mountain is going off because of the tremendous shad population in that lake. I live down the road and fish there quite often. The lake is just full of baitfish and I'm thinking the bass are benefiting greatly from it. I can only imagine how EM would fish if it had a healthy amount of grass for the fish to hide in.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 10:00 PM

I think the fishermen are getting better as well as the bait manufacturers, Big Emphasis on the plastic baits.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 10:05 PM

I don't think the Grapevine 29 pound winner was throwing an a-rig because they were making fun of us throwing one. smile actually, I think they were kidding us for trolling INTO that 25 mph wind, but they weren’t throwing a-rig when we passed.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 11:13 PM

A lot of factors (in my opinion),

1) People are getting better at figuring things out
2) The lower levels have not allowed a lot of the fish to push back as far so they are more accessible during this years spawn
3) It seems we have had an abundance of bait fish the past few years and milder winter temps, thus the fish have had more active metabolisms and more bait to feed up on.

I have no concrete evidence to support these opinions, just my 2cents
Posted By: bassasassin

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/08/13 11:55 PM

More fishermen, less water, more fishermen with better knowledge on where and how to catch more and bigger fish.
Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/09/13 01:04 AM

I def think technology has a lot to do with it. Though the older style graphs could find structure in deep water it was not as easy, it seemed that most angelers used to beat the banks day in and day out, but today you see more angelers looking for that deep water structure and other structure that used to get passed up a lot. But I also belive that the higher shad population and more of a practice of catch and release helps also, back in the day if a guy caught a pig he would take it to get mounted instead of taking the pictures and measurements and get a replica made.... just my two cents
Posted By: Bay Kirkham

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/09/13 09:53 PM

It was a good topic- Always a few clowning around-
Posted By: Cloud Dancer

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/09/13 10:02 PM

The quality of the new-generation professionals is higher, PLUS the
necessary research is easier/quicker, PLUS the latest/greatest equipment is unbelievably extraordinary.
The lakes around here are getting worst NOT better.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 02:01 PM

I am pretty much Awesome.
Posted By: onthebank

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 02:23 PM

The fact that fishing is more of a business now than ever before is putting more and more fisherman on the water for longer periods of time.
As the old joke goes, Can you tell me how to get to Carnagie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

My answer is TOW and practice fishing for $500 Alex.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 03:08 PM

Both.
TPWD does a great job of keeping it the bass fishing mecca. Lots of lakes. Fairly short mild winters. Florida bass thrive.
Anglers have more options, information readily available. Better electronics. More sensitive specialized rods. New lures every year.
More tournaments with larger turnouts. Thus more anglers on the water.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 04:31 PM

Yes

We are more efficient now than ever at catching fish. And we have lakes that have been stocked well and fish are maturing.
Posted By: Geoffisherman

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassfisher6704
I def think technology has a lot to do with it. Though the older style graphs could find structure in deep water it was not as easy, it seemed that most angelers used to beat the banks day in and day out, but today you see more angelers looking for that deep water structure and other structure that used to get passed up a lot. But I also belive that the higher shad population and more of a practice of catch and release helps also, back in the day if a guy caught a pig he would take it to get mounted instead of taking the pictures and measurements and get a replica made.... just my two cents

+1
Posted By: rangerb

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 04:54 PM

I'm not catching anymore than usual,bang but I can't afford the new fangle dangle sideimaging..downscaning electronics.. so "must be the new electronics..
Posted By: gborg

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 04:58 PM

We are living in an information driven society.,!
Posted By: Chitterling

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 07:32 PM

Florida and Hybridized Bass are the difference. 6.5 lb Texas bass rocked our world in 1980. Now all we talk about are DD's. Bigger bass, bigger sacks. I know this. I'm not any better a fisherman than my pops and my boys aren't better than me. Combs aint better than Clunn, etc.
Posted By: rangerb

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Chitterling
Florida and Hybridized Bass are the difference. 6.5 lb Texas bass rocked our world in 1980. Now all we talk about are DD's. Bigger bass, bigger sacks. I know this. I'm not any better a fisherman than my pops and my boys aren't better than me. Combs aint better than Clunn, etc.

I agree, these younger whippersnappers aren't as good as us old timers at catching, but they are better than we are at finding..with these new electronics ... my 6 year old grandson can do stuff on an I-pad I haven't a clue about...
Posted By: Chitterling

Re: Are the fisherman or the fisheries getting better ? - 04/10/13 08:08 PM

They got us there for sure.
Originally Posted By: rangerb
Originally Posted By: Chitterling

I agree, these younger whippersnappers aren't as good as us old timers at catching, but they are better than we are at finding..with these new electronics ... my 6 year old grandson can do stuff on an I-pad I haven't a clue about...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum