Texas Fishing Forum

Talon or Power Pole

Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 03:56 AM

Im purchasing one of the two this week. What is everyones experince with them? What are the pros and cons of each?
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 03:58 AM

PowerPole....unless you run Hummingbird electronics and plan on buying the 360 view.
Posted By: crowsie14

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 05:24 AM

Power Pole, I just like them, no real problems or cons for me.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 07:50 AM

I have never had experience with Talons, but my cousin and I both have duel power poles and we love em', no problems out of them as of now.
Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 08:02 AM

I like the talons, but both are good products and get the job done... talons go straight down and power poles do a praying mantis thing...
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 02:37 PM

Power Poles. They look better than the gutters too.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 02:44 PM

Power poles will hold better, they have a larger footprint, I think they look better, from what I have read and seen the Talon is also a fine anchor, I have a jet river boat that I have thought about putting a Talon on, not enough room for the Power Pole pump.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 02:45 PM

Talon.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 02:48 PM

Dont think it matters, the Talons are nicely priced though, but I still choose the power poles. Its up to u.
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 10:52 PM

Talon with the hinged mounting bracket.

Easily folds down so you can get in a garage.

I have two and can't imagine fishing in the wind without them.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/04/13 11:30 PM

I have an 8' Talon on my lil' Ranger. Me likey.

Posted By: b00stin4

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 12:57 AM

I have to say I was at the classic last weekend and every boat had twin power poles on it.. i saw 1 talon if that means anything wink
Also I love my power pole

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 01:03 AM

Wonder why they all had Power Poles ?
Originally Posted By: b00stin4
I have to say I was at the classic last weekend and every boat had twin power poles on it.. i saw 1 talon if that means anything wink
Also I love my power pole
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 01:11 AM

A Talon is NOT cheaper folks. You can not compare a Talon & Pro or Blade Series PP because these PP products are Powder Coated and a talon is anodized aluminum...

8' Talon - $1449.00 (anodized aluminum) + $210 (bracket) + 180.00 (tilt option) = $1839 + 1 hour installation ( 2 year warranty)

8' Power-Pole Sportsnan Series - $1296.00 (anodized aluminum) + 170.00 (bracket) = $1466 + 1 hour installation ( 3 year warranty + lifetime unconditional steak warranty
Posted By: big21

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide-Cody Malone
A Talon is NOT cheaper folks. You can not compare a Talon & Pro or Blade Series PP because these PP products are Powder Coated and a talon is anodized aluminum...

8' Talon - $1449.00 (anodized aluminum) + $210 (bracket) + 180.00 (tilt option) = $1839 + 1 hour installation ( 2 year warranty)

8' Power-Pole Sportsnan Series - $1296.00 (anodized aluminum) + 170.00 (bracket) = $1466 + 1 hour installation ( 3 year warranty + lifetime unconditional steak warranty

Your talon price is high seeing as how shut up and fish sales them for $1179 no tax free shipping and a $100 mail in rebate. New universal mount is $225 free shipping. I bought a black 8' talon last week and spent $1,404 to my door. Waiting on my $100 rebate. It took 45 mins to mount the thing. Anyone with a wrench and a hint of common sense can put one on. You hook a positive and negative wire to battery and if you want you can hook alarm to ignition. Don't have to tho. No hydraulic pumps or need for a lot of room. Talon all the way
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 01:29 AM

Pp. talons look goofy. Babes like pps better

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: big21

Your talon price is high seeing as how shut up and fish sales them for $1179 no tax free shipping and a $100 mail in rebate. New universal mount is $225 free shipping. I bought a black 8' talon last week and spent $1,404 to my door. Waiting on my $100 rebate. It took 45 mins to mount the thing. Anyone with a wrench and a hint of common sense can put one on. You hook a positive and negative wire to battery and if you want you can hook alarm to ignition. Don't have to tho. No hydraulic pumps or need for a lot of room. Talon all the way

My price is not high, It is what is listed on Minn Kotas website. I used both manufacterors websites for pricing.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 01:58 AM

To me, Talons just seem cheaper and not as good of quality material. The pros I fished with at the Open last year, the Talon popped and made loud noises going down and just seemed cheap. The next day I fished with Todd Castledine. He had power poles and they were absolutely better quality IMO. That was my first experience with either one and there was a big difference. I would have power poles if I could get them to fit where I park my boat in the garage. Mount sticks out too far....mad
Posted By: RngrMac

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 02:00 AM

Talon for sure ..... Definately get the tilt bracket
Posted By: hookedon

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: big21

I believe if you look at both sites you'll see he was using MSRP, you can get deals on Power Poles as well. Do your homework
Posted By: gpbassbuster

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 02:13 AM

power pole- the only problem i have with my power pole is i only have one. hydrilla gear best pricing. my 8 ft sportsman 2 was 1195.00
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 02:17 AM

what i liked about the powerpole is when its down it is out of the way, The talon sticks up at all times.
Posted By: Chris Davis - USAFishingTrails

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 02:23 AM

Full disclosure, Power-Pole is one of our sponsors, but I have only ever heard great things about them, and we have a LOT of guys that have them. My dad has also had them on his last couple of boats, and I personally love them. I am not as familiar with Talons, so I don't want to speak towards their products. I bet they are good products, too.
Posted By: mlmays40

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 03:09 AM

Thats why they make ford and chevy,
Posted By: crowsie14

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: mlmays40

Thats why they make ford and chevy,

or Toyota, +1

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 03:43 AM

I appreciate all the advice I have been shopping around today for a power pole. I found one on tackle warehouse for a decent price but they dont have the bracket I need for my skeeter
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 03:45 AM

I recently bought an 8' talon for my Skeeter ZX190. Works great on my boat and I did the install myself. I like it and it works like it should. I'm sure the power pole works like it should also. I bought the talon because I could install it myself and I didn't want the hydraulic system of the power pole taking up space and weight. I'm sure both are great products.
Posted By: big21

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 03:46 AM

No one can argue the simplicity of install or the fact you don't waste space with a pump
Posted By: Jeremy Whitson

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 04:32 AM

Back when I was driving peterbuilt for powerpole I wasn't impressed hell they treated us drivers like [censored] always telling us fragil freight fragil freight got me wondering how they supposed to hold up on a water rockets?! Talon Is what I want on my pontoon..

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 04:34 AM

well on Tackle Warehouse the
power pole sportsman 2 $1295
minn kota talon $1495
thats $200 more for the talon (no brackets)
i bought my power pole during their 15% off sale they do several sales a yr that's my recommendation to anyone thinking about it smile

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Bassfisher6704
I appreciate all the advice I have been shopping around today for a power pole. I found one on tackle warehouse for a decent price but they dont have the bracket I need for my skeeter

if you call JL marine 813-689-9932
or email sales@power-pole.com
they will help you out with the bracket you need
i sent them a cell phone pic of how my jack plate setup is and the guy called me back in about 5 min with the part number for me to order smile
Posted By: Transplant

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/05/13 03:40 PM

My 2 cents worth: I live on the lake and for the last year anyone who came by my dock with either I would ask them about their choices. Talon people like their Talons and Power Pole owners liked theirs as well. What they ALL SAID was: Never have another boat without them!! Getting my first Power Pole installed next week!!!

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 12:01 AM

Overall, I prefer an anchor and thirty feet of rope.
Posted By: Jason Hoffman -- Lake Fork Guide

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 01:17 AM

I have had both and I like them both about the same. You can (fairly easily) install the Talon yourself. Also, the Talon has a 5 year warranty - not a 2 year warranty.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/shallow_water_anchor/talon.aspx

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 01:24 AM

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/service/warranty_information/TalonWarranty.aspx

Where I got my info..
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 01:29 AM

I get my new Power Poles on next week! Went with 8' Blades. I would get 10' like Cody had last year, but would get sick of scrapping bridges and power lines. wink
Posted By: B.K.S.

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 02:39 AM

I like my dual Power Poles.Don't know about Talons.
Posted By: Triton David

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 03:22 AM

Anyone have a used power pole for sale around lake fork Texas?
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 01:03 PM

I have not owned the PP but I sure like my Talon. Simple easy and I installed it myself and if I want to remove it, it is very easy to take off with no fluids to drain or lines to plug. I guess it is like anything else it is what every you like the most and the price/warranty. I just like things that are simple and that I can work on, so I do not have to take it in if something goes wrong and with electric you never have to worry about fluid levels or anything other than a fuse most of the time.Anyhow both serve a purpose.
Posted By: Fishnut328

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 01:19 PM

Get one of both in your boat best of both worlds !
Posted By: Skeeter_Man1

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Z520 Cranker
Power Poles. They look better than the gutters too.
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 01:45 PM

I do like the look of the PP but I went with the Talon and love it.

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 04:12 PM

I have been reading the reviews on the talon and some people are saying that its not holding the boat..... and it gets stuck in the mud. Anyone on here having these problems with them?
Posted By: WackySenko

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Overall, I prefer an anchor and thirty feet of rope.

The aforementioned Toyota option

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 07:11 PM

Now you're talkin'
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/06/13 11:29 PM

Never used a Talon, and probably very few save the hardcore guys have used both to even know the difference, but I do own a Powerpole and it's a beast. I've had it since the 8' was originally introduced. It's been through hell and back with nary a dent to show for it. One year I replaced a fluid line, nothing since.

I like that it gets out of the way when I have it deployed. For guys who don't fish in the back of their boats, it's not an issue.

It's the original, and I am kinda partial to the originals. MK is a great company, no doubt, but I see no reason to change or prefer a Talon.

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/07/13 01:55 AM

I get a kick out of when people bash Power pole because it is hydraulic, is not your trim, tilt, and most jack plates hydraulic ? Wonder why ?
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/07/13 02:27 AM

Power Poles
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/07/13 02:29 AM

P. P - no contest
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/11/13 01:00 PM

I have a Talon and happy with it so far. My buddy has this happen to his PP last weekend.

BUT the rest of the story - he called PP first thing Monday morning and they are shipping him a new bracket and hardware to fix it at zero cost to him. Needless to say, they have his business from now on. Service like that says a lot for a company.

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/11/13 01:40 PM

HOLY SMOKE, he had to hit something for that to happen, what is the story ?
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/11/13 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
HOLY SMOKE, he had to hit something for that to happen, what is the story ?

He said he didn't hit anything. He was running across the lake and noticed it when he got to the ramp. There is a lot of vibration on a boat while trailering and running across the lake. Apparently all the wear and tear had its toll on it.

Re: Talon or Power Pole - 03/11/13 02:04 PM

so did he lose his power pole
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum