Texas Fishing Forum

How do you plan for fishing a new body of water?

Posted By: Yankinlips

How do you plan for fishing a new body of water? - 03/01/13 08:23 PM

First, I want it say that I'm not seeking a fishing report! I'm planning on fishing a body of water (LBJ) tomorrow am that I've fished only once before (that is if there's not a tournament on it). I've acquired a map of the lake (navionics app) and have been looking at possible areas of interest. I'm curious as to how some of you go about finding fish or a pattern on a "new to you" body of water?

Also, I'm a long time troller on the website and almost never post, as you can see by my post count.

Thanks,
Posted By: BeardedBanker

Re: How do you plan for fishing a new body of water? - 03/01/13 10:51 PM

I read an article by Ike and have tried it with some success. Get a map and circle deepest parts of lake. Then circle shallow flats. Then where these two circles overlap or come close to overlapping are good spots to start. I also look on map for creek channels that run or bend close to shorelines.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: How do you plan for fishing a new body of water? - 03/02/13 12:32 AM

Season is a big factor first, know bass behaviors and migrations. Then....just go fishing, its ALL about trial and error!
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: How do you plan for fishing a new body of water? - 03/02/13 12:35 AM

Start fast with a crank and cover water till you find fish if that dosnt work then slow down. Find cover or structure you're comfortable with.
Posted By: AustinBassFishingGuide

Re: How do you plan for fishing a new body of water? - 03/02/13 02:10 AM

Ask a local about what forage there is.. Use baits that mimic what lives there. However, the predominant forage in a body of water varies based on what type of cover is in a given section of the lake.
Posted By: Yankinlips

Re: How do you plan for fishing a new body of water? - 03/02/13 03:47 AM

This is what I was considering doing with a lipless crank or spinnerbait. I always wonder when it's time to slow down and go to flipping or c-rigging/t-rigging, jigging, etc... Seems like I think too much about what I could be doing instead of focusing on what I am doing.
Posted By: CB327

Re: How do you plan for fishing a new body of water? - 03/03/13 12:53 AM

Buzz,

I hope more chime in on this topic.

I fished Joe Pool the other day for the first time. I fished the transition from deep water to shallow flats. The depth was approximately 10-15 ft. I caught three in the slot but healthy fish. I used a large spinnerbait with a colorado blade because of the wind. I threw it out and let it hit bottom the slow rolled it until it was beyond the drop. The fish bit very light. I knew I had a fish when the blade stopped turning.

I fished the lake again this last thursday in high winds and found some grass at the edge of deep water. I used the spinnerbait again and caught 5 more in the slot. As soon as the spinnerbait hit grass, a quick jerk to an let the bait fall. Hit on the fall. Lipless crank would work the same.

Water Temp was 52 to 54 degrees. Winds 20-25 mph. Hope this helps.
Posted By: TroyLindner

Re: How do you plan for fishing a new body of water? - 03/03/13 07:42 PM

Buzz,

You have a great question. The Ike article sounds like a good read. I am currently planning my trip to Texoma to fish the FLW Ever Start there in April. Then fish a few other lakes around Dallas and it will be my first time ever fishing in Texas.

Ordered my maps from Fishing Hot Spots: Texoma, Grapevine, Belton, Ray Roberts. For the time of year I will be there, I look back through TFF fishing threads (both bass and stripers) to find info on areas, water temps, presentations and what the background in photos looks like (docks, bluffs, flooded brush, gravel, etc).

You can see what the lakes look like and how anglers fish them from watching Southwest Outdoors Reports, youtube videos, BC and TTT shows. Also, read tournament archives on how people won during that time of year on the websites of BC, Media, BASS, TTT, turkey shoots, TBF, BWS and others.

Talking to people that have fished the lakes before. More concerned with specific AREAS and LOCATION than presentation. Fish your strengths, but find out WHERE to fish and you’ll save a lot of time.

Troy
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum