Texas Fishing Forum

new Elite 7 HDI

Posted By: Kens3313

new Elite 7 HDI - 02/09/13 06:59 AM

was wondering what peoples thoughts of these units, why are they so cheap? They do just about everything a hds 8 gen 2 but the side imiging, it does down scan right? do you have to have 2 transducers for the regular sonar and then downscan or did they make it into one transducer? Im wanting a better fish finder for the bow.
Posted By: Steve Stroman

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/09/13 09:23 AM

Its one Transducer. I just installed one on a Customers boat and it seemed like a pretty good unit. I don't know how much they are but looks like a good product.
Posted By: The Netstretcher

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/09/13 10:09 PM

I have had mine for a few weeks and really like it. I guess with the release of the touch series lowrance has to price these units at a price worth paying, otherwise they would sell mostly hds' and not many elites.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/09/13 11:00 PM

one reason could be the warranty is 1 yr rather than 2 yrs on the hds.
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/09/13 11:24 PM

I've used mine a few times and really like it so far. I think it's price to compete with the comparable hummingbirds, but it has a larger screen?

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/10/13 04:15 AM

thats cool, how does it interlink with the hds8 gen 2? this would be good one to put on the bow im thinking, heck its cheaper than hds 7 which was what i had planned, and can get down scan on the front without having that big lss2 transducer. whats yalls thoughts?

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/11/13 04:17 AM

anyone?
Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/11/13 04:36 AM

I don't think they have interlink capabilities.

I need to research it though, I need another unit to add to my boat.
Was going to just get a used 7 for my dash for nav only, but I might get a elite and move my 5 from front to the console if the elite 7 will interlink.

Actually, the elite 7 dsi doesn't have 2d does it, it's Only dsi and chart??

Plus I couldn't run my sonic hub from front of boat anymore.

That's why their cheap on second thought, dont think it has anywhere near the expand ability of an hds....

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/11/13 05:07 AM

Ok, I just read the manuals and product info on the lowrance website.

It appears that the elite 7 hdi, is down scan and 2d only, no chartplotter.

However the elite 7 broadband has 2d and chartplotter, but says it's hdi ready??
I'm assuming that means if you buy a separate hdi transducer and plug it in you will have 2d,down and chartplottimg if you go that route??

Maybe not.

Their capabilities explanations still leave something to be desired.

Also they are nema 2000, which the elite 5's were not.

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/12/13 05:31 AM

I thought there is three different hdi units one is chart and sonar, other is down scan and sonar and the other is chart, sonar, and downscan. Just wonder if you need two seperate transducers for the sonar plus downscan. I dont think both would fit on my trolling motor haha.

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Elite7-H...uct/1211161018/
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/12/13 11:26 AM

Ken,I installed a new Elite 7 HDI on a boat last week. Yes, you have the standard base map, sonar and downscan. You can split the screen 3 ways or 2 ways and have any combination of the screens. There is only one transducer, slightly larger than a standard skimmer. It will mount on the trolling motor or transom.I don't know about putting it in the bilge, but don't see why not. Best place to buy is from David at Shut Up and Fish or Brian at www.bbgmarine.com. Hope this helps. The Elite 7 HDI Combo has the base map, sonar and downscan. The Elite 7 Broadband Combo only has base map and sonar, no downscan. The Elite 7X HDI has downscan and sonar, no map.

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/12/13 09:08 PM

hmmm, just looked again at the 7 hdi.

Thinking of getting one for front of boat to have down scan up there.

But i would still have to leave my 5 up front too, for my sonic hub.

I had planned on getting a used hds 7, gen 1 or 2 and putting it in the dash for nav only.

and on down the road getting a touch 9 or 12 to replace my 8 and move it up front.

alot more cash out lay..

i could get the elite 7 up front, move my 5 into the dash and not have sonic hub up front.

also 3 way split screen on 7 might be too small for map..

too many choices lol..

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Rick Collis
Ken,I installed a new Elite 7 HDI on a boat last week. Yes, you have the standard base map, sonar and downscan. You can split the screen 3 ways or 2 ways and have any combination of the screens. There is only one transducer, slightly larger than a standard skimmer. It will mount on the trolling motor or transom.I don't know about putting it in the bilge, but don't see why not. Best place to buy is from David at Shut Up and Fish or Brian at www.bbgmarine.com. Hope this helps. The Elite 7 HDI Combo has the base map, sonar and downscan. The Elite 7 Broadband Combo only has base map and sonar, no downscan. The Elite 7X HDI has downscan and sonar, no map.
This is what I was wondering, thanks Rick

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 06:17 AM

How does the 2d quality on the elite 7 compair to the hds broadband?

Is the elite true broadband like the hds??

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 02:53 PM

I have both and the sonars are quite similar.
Posted By: grgoat13

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 04:17 PM

Has anyone mounted the ducer on a trolling motor and how? The compact ducer for this unit is 200 bucks. TSS is making a shield for the larger ducer due out in a couple of weeks.
Posted By: JWRid

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 04:42 PM

Thinking about two elite 7's. Found this link that answers some of the questions I had. It may be helpful.

http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/Elite/Elite-7-FAQ.pdf

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 05:26 PM

This is how mine is mounted
Posted By: grgoat13

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 06:19 PM

NS, I have one of those old mounting brackets, but that ducer is an expensive lil baby to have to replace. I guess I'll live dangerously for a while. Thanks for the pic. Transducer Shield will have a shield for these in a couple of weeks.

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 06:25 PM

Yeah I can't wait till that comes out,
Posted By: mcb

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 07:28 PM

Not to confuse the issue, but what about temp.? Is there a separate transducer to mount in the hull that has temp cable attached to it that is run to the outside transom? Thanks

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 07:33 PM

The transducer also reads the temp
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/13/13 07:58 PM

Good info

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/15/13 04:30 AM

when you buy the elite 7 HDI combo the one for 699 does it come with the transducer you need for downscan?
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/15/13 05:32 AM

Yes. It comes with everything you need for sonar, down imaging and GPS. It took some hunting online for me to find a cover though

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/15/13 07:39 AM

I got mine at bbgmarine.com for like $632 if I remember correctly.
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/15/13 12:40 PM

it is a good average person fishing tool without some things on it that most of us never use anyway like recording- i think it only has one sd slot but it would be all this country boy would ever use. I have 3 gen 2s on the boat now but I would not hesitate to use these for what I need

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/16/13 12:01 AM

Good to know, thanks
Posted By: its a fluke

Re: new Elite 7 HDI - 02/16/13 04:56 AM

they are great
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum