Texas Fishing Forum

Phoenix Bass Boats

Posted By: june-bug

Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 02:53 PM

Ok so I am finally in the market for a new bass boat . My 1999 Bass Cat Jaguar is being passed down to my son . I've probably been in literally every major bass boat out there but the Phoenix . Something about this boat is intriguing to me . Maybe because not many people have them in my area . I am looking for some input from you TFF folks . What are some pros and cons from those of you who own a Phoenix or those of you who have been in them . How do they stack up to the big dogs in the industry ? Thanks in advance for any replies .
Posted By: Dougw1515

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 03:29 PM

If your considering a dual console be aware that the passenger side does not lock down tight. Looked at several of them at the boat show then one at a dealer a week or so later. Talked to the dealer about it as well. A single latch locks it in while two aligning pins square it up and hold some of the weight. It's a good boat/layout but I, myself, couldn't deal with the rattlin' console going down the lake.... Not sure why they did it like that and got the rest of the boat so right.
Posted By: ZeroHour

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 03:30 PM

I love em about the only other brand id consider. The handling at speed is insane. Truly a well thought out boat. The graphics and striping however are not my favorite by any means.
Posted By: Ranger123 The Drop Shot Man

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 03:49 PM

if you need storage they have it i look at them and it has it i like the passcenger rod box
Posted By: ChrisMorris

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 03:52 PM

I rode with Gary Clouse last year on Conroe and the boat seriously impressed me. I really do think they thought of everything with these boats. I can say without a doubt it was the best riding boat I have ever been in. We also have a guy in our club that runs one and he loves it.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 03:54 PM

My buddy Derek G has one. You might PM him and ask him. I love them. They fish really well, are fast, and ride smooth. They would be on my short list if I was in the market. I love them!
Posted By: BrudBass

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 04:03 PM

My family has had a Phoenix 721 for 3 years. We love it. When the time comes to replace it we will go with another Phoenix. A lot of people come up to us at the ramps to Check it out.

The storage was well thought out, especially the tool slots and net compartment.

As for the comment about the rattlin' console, we have never had a problem with that. No rattlin' at speeds over 70 or during large crashing waves. The console holds firmly in place. We love the design of the console. We leave it in place except for tournament days and when we need more room. It takes less than a minute to remove it.

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 04:58 PM

This is sounding better and better . I have to find out who the closest dealer is to me in south LA and take a ride in one . I wonder how much of a price difference when you go from the 721 to the 921 for the 7 extra inches ?
Posted By: Steve187 (A.K.A. GETFISHED )

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 05:07 PM

If you decide to go with a Phoenix and the 921 is more than you want to spend you might check and see if you can find a 719. I don't know for sure if that model is still being built or not but it is more affordable than the 721 and there is very little noticeable difference between the two.
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 05:54 PM

The only knock I have heard on them is resale value. But that is more due to the newness of the brand then the boats quality. If you keep it as long as your Jaguar then that would be a non factor.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 06:03 PM

I like the looks of them minus some of the graphics but otherwise damn good looking boats. also can do without the whole cheesy Phoenix Phamily stuff when you buy one. Only negative I have heard is some guys had issues with the boats loading on the trailer right but the trailer manufacturer and Phoenix made it right for those that contacted them. They seem to have great customer service too.
Posted By: tsig2012

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 08:12 PM

I run a 721 pro xp the boat is absolutely awesome. The pheniox is the best riding boat i have ever been in. Tje
Posted By: tsig2012

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 08:15 PM

The amount of storage the boat has is unbelievable and the removable console is great. Once locked in place its not going anywhere and its removed or installed rather quick. Its one awesome boat you want be disappointed.
Posted By: Darold Gleason, T-bend Guide

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 09:43 PM

The closest dealer to you is Ascension Marine in Gonzales, LA. Just tell Tammy I sent you. If you ever come up to Toledo Bend I'd be glad to give you a test ride. I've had 3 of them and about to have a new one in a couple of weeks.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian McCarty
My buddy Derek G has one. You might PM him and ask him. I love them. They fish really well, are fast, and ride smooth. They would be on my short list if I was in the market. I love them!

Derek has a good-looking one too! Too bad the livewells haven't been used enough.... woot
Posted By: 361V

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 09:59 PM

Great looking and riding boats. Resale is less because the original price is substantially less then say a equally rigged Ranger or Skeeter. Great boats but time will tell. As mentioned above, although shallow on my part: the graphics and stripes were the deal breaker for me.(personal preference)
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 10:09 PM

I just bought a 721 with a 250 pro xs this month. She's fast.... and rides great. I love it so far.
Posted By: SuperG

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 10:12 PM

As for the Phoenix Bass Boats hull graphics, I think they're fine and see they follow the look of a phoenix. I bet if it was called Beer Bass Boats everyone would love the hull graphics. lol
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 10:37 PM

Good boats. They are on my short list also. I have rode in one and my fishing partner is a dealer, so I have been all in them. I can't really find anything I don't like about them. Alot of quality componets where other boats cut corners. Well thought out boat.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/23/13 11:45 PM

I run a 2012 619 with 200 SHO and love it. The layout is great and the attention to detail is 2nd to none. Standard options include a lot of things that are upgrades with some other companies. I'm really surprised to hear so many people dislike the graphics, at the ramp and on the water people are always wanting to check it out and complimenting it, but to each his own.

Posted By: alan21

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 12:40 AM

Phoenix will match any brand as far as fit and finish goes. It is the best boat I have owned and I owned a few. If you get a chance, just go ride in one. As far as the console rattling issue, I have been on Lake Amistad in 3 footers an never had any issues. The layout is great and it drives like a corvette. Try it you will like it
Posted By: Tim Haugh

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 01:07 AM

AGFshr10, that is a sweet looking rig!! I dig the color scheme. I have a Skeeter 20i and have considered trading into a Phoenix. I love my Skeeter, but I sure am starting to eyeball a 920 pro xp.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 01:08 AM

That boat is sharp
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 01:41 AM

After this tournament season I am selling my boat and will be in the market for a new one, I love my Champ but looked at one of these the other day and it is really catching my attention. Haven't ridden in one but the one I looked at was really nice.
Posted By: The Fishing Physicist

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger123
if you need storage they have it i look at them and it has it i like the passenger rod box

I’ve noticed this, an excellent feature IMO.

TFP
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 01:57 AM

Some of the newer ones might be okay. I looked at one last year at the motel we were staying at on Fork. I didn't like the interior deck layout at all. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 02:00 AM

Very fine boats. They are solid. Can't go wrong with one from where I'm sitting.
Posted By: Jmsteele

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 02:17 AM

My buddy has a 921, awesome boat, it fishes huge, last trip to fork I fished out of it and a new ranger, I actually liked everything about the Phoenix better and before that I loved the rangers. When I buy a new one its definitely at the top of my list. Plus he paid probably 20 grand less than an equally equipped ranger.

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 02:50 AM

The more research I do and comments I see you guys all make is confirming to me that I am on the right track . I will definitely be trying to take a ride in one soon . I really had no idea that they were priced that much less than the Rangers. My dad has a Ranger so I know they are great boats . But if I can end up with something equally as sharp , comfortable ,well built , faster , and full of options and have 20K left in my pocket ... it's a no brainer .
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Derek has a good-looking one too! Too bad the livewells haven't been used enough.... woot

OOOWWWW, that was mean ................ mean mean mean.. LOL.
It is purdy and fast, not by your standards Ken. But quick enough for mine..
Posted By: Stax®

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 03:42 AM

bolt
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 03:54 AM

Look at it up close and compare EVERYTHING about the boat to a new BassCat...I think you'll notice a big difference in quality.
Posted By: DEREKG

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

OOOWWWW, that was mean ................ mean mean mean.. LOL.
It is purdy and fast, not by your standards Ken. But quick enough for mine..

LMAO.. For once ken has a little speed envy, lol... Not for long I'm sure, but I betcha my live wells get more of a workout than most...
I've been happy with my boat since oct 2010... It has held up to some serious abuse and around 250 hours now..
Excellent speed, handling, rough water ride..yada yada yada, go get you a demo on one and decide.. The passenger consoles don't rattle either, mine never has... Locks down tight, and the option to have it in or out in less than a minute is nice, especially for the passenger..
Posted By: Dougw1515

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: DEREKG
[quote=RedSkeeter][quote=Ken A.][quote=Brian McCarty]... The passenger consoles don't rattle either, mine never has... Locks down tight, and the option to have it in or out in less than a minute is nice, especially for the passenger..

Wasn't ragging Phoenix at all.... And after thinking about it... The latching arm was probably not adjusted correctly and is a correctable problem.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 12:34 PM

Great looking boats IMO....maybe someday I will be in the market for a new ride, unfortunately not now. I will definitely look at them when I'm ready for a new boat.

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 01:56 PM

I saw 87 in my Legend just last Saturday! Behind my Suburban!! LOL
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 03:00 PM

I saw 87 in my Legend just last Saturday! Behind my Suburban!! LOL

Was that in rough water? How did it handle?
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/24/13 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Jmsteele
My buddy has a 921, awesome boat, it fishes huge, last trip to fork I fished out of it and a new ranger, I actually liked everything about the Phoenix better and before that I loved the rangers. When I buy a new one its definitely at the top of my list. Plus he paid probably 20 grand less than an equally equipped ranger.

No where near $20k less than a same size Ranger. Show me where I can buy 2013 921 for $45k because I can show you where I can buy a 2013 Z521 or Z522 for $65k.
Posted By: rudapa

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/25/13 02:16 AM

OK - my boat shopping last year ended with a choice between a Basscat Cougar and a Phoenix 721. In the end I decided on the Phoenix based on features and price. The ride is exceptional, speed is decent, and the company stands behind you. I opted not to get the Lazy Susan which I didn't like. The only real issue I've had is loading on the trailer which they sent me a shim kit for and that fixed it perfectly. I would tell anyone who is in the market for a new boat to give them a look and better yet take one for a spin. Price to features they are hard to beat from dual livewells were many have dividers, plugs not valves, passenger rod locker that will hold 4 rods, and stainless components through out standard. Here is mine and good luck on your decision. BTW - no rattling on my passenger console and the price difference on an equally equipped Ranger was only $10K less when I was looking (not $20K)

Posted By: rudapa

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/25/13 02:25 AM

The main center storage has room for a few tackle boxes....

Here is one more shot from a different angle:

Posted By: Jmsteele

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/25/13 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Donegonefishin
Originally Posted By: Jmsteele

No where near $20k less than a same size Ranger. Show me where I can buy 2013 921 for $45k because I can show you where I can buy a 2013 Z521 or Z522 for $65k.

Actually he paid exactly 45k, but it was a demo boat with like 50 hours on it so it wasn't brand new. If you buy brand new from a dealer your probably right I'm sure it would be quite a bit more. The ranger I looked at the other day with the options he had was over 70k.

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/25/13 01:55 PM

Great looking rig
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/25/13 03:48 PM

I think they are good boats, to be honest I do not think you can get a boat for twenty grand less and be apples to apples with the top selling boats
Posted By: LunkerXpress

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/26/13 04:03 AM

I've fished out of one, and spent a day in Russ Lanes last year. I have a skeeter now, but my next boat will be a phoenix

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/29/13 12:21 PM

Does Phoenix custom manufacture its own trailers ? If not who is the manufacture of their trailers . ?
Posted By: WRGoat

Re: Phoenix Bass Boats - 01/29/13 03:03 PM

I have a 2009 721. No complaints here. NONE!!!
The trailers are manufactured by Marine Master in Tullahoma, TN.
I love the removable passenger console. I prefer it out when I'm by myself. My wife and sons prefer it in when they go with me.
I just installed new electronics myself. Easy to get to all the necessary areas for wiring. Customer service is top notch!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum