Texas Fishing Forum

Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait?

Posted By: texas_82

Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 12:24 AM

Can you tell the difference on the fish catch rate? Is it worth it or totally a lie. What hook would be good to replace the factory hooks with? I wish Mustad made a KVD short shank treble hook that was red, but first off I was wondering if it was worth it or not. Thanks for your time and help.
Posted By: Justinkace1217

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 12:48 AM

It is worth it unless you are fishing super clear water. I fish a red gama round bend on the front and a kvd on the back. This combo will get you a lot more fish in the boat. But yes I have seen it make a difference on a lot of occasions. When you see a guy like Kevin short doing it, it means something.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 02:07 AM

Red is the first color to disappear in water. I also wonder if a fish focuses on the hook of a crank bait as its banging through rocks and timber.Personally I don't think I makes a difference. Cranks and traps are reaction baits.
Posted By: rangerb

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 02:18 AM

KVD supposely fishes with KVD hooks, but they dom't make a red one should tell us something.. noidea Probably catches more fisherman..
Posted By: Harleydude

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 02:25 AM

Red does not dissapear. As light gets filtered out it looks black. The red bleeding hooks can produce a faint black cloud simulating blood loss and could trigger a bite. In clear water red turns black by five feet deep. In our stained lakes it will be much shallower. I typically use bleeding hooks in winter and early spring.

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 03:19 AM

So instead of using a black hook you want a red hook that's going to change black? Makes sense...
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 03:55 AM

Why not red on both hooks?
Posted By: Outlaw2531

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 05:35 AM

No red for me.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 05:37 AM

i do it because the pros say say to..,,,

just being honest

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 05:56 AM

I think it helps my hook up percentage more than anything. You will get more aggressive strikes. It sure doesn't hurt anything I know that for a fact.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 09:39 AM

Originally Posted By: rangerb
KVD supposely fishes with KVD hooks, but they dom't make a red one should tell us something.. noidea Probably catches more fisherman..

they do now!

http://www.mustad.no/www2010/products/product-news/new-versions-of-kvd-tr-grip-hooks
Posted By: Iron Man

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 02:24 PM

Ill stick to my silver and grey ones.
Posted By: Skeeter_Man1

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 04:58 PM

It all about what you think!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 05:12 PM

I guess if you think it works then it does! All about confidence. If you think its BS then it is...Thats all.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 05:26 PM

I like to put a red treble on the front and a green treble on the back!

It's just my little way of celebrating the holiday spirit with my favorite fish! thumb
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: fishmagnet
I like to put a red treble on the front and a green treble on the back!

It's just my little way of celebrating the holiday spirit with my favorite fish! thumb

HA HA
Posted By: Michael.Beaty

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/04/12 09:36 PM

I have used them both ways and I rarely notice a difference but when I have noticed a difference the red hook has always out produced. So Ill keep them on the front for now even though the difference normally isn't but a fish or two you never know when that 1fish in a tourney is gonna make the difference.

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 06:14 AM

My thoughts exactly.
Posted By: ron-ron

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ban-D
Red is the first color to disappear in water. I also wonder if a fish focuses on the hook of a crank bait as its banging through rocks and timber.Personally I don't think I makes a difference. Cranks and traps are reaction baits.

+1

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 05:25 PM

How many times have you heard of someone or made a little tweak to something yourself and it got you a few extra fish or a bunch of extra fish. Part of the fun of it. You guys that keep talking about red disappearing better not be using watermelon red for any of your soft plastics. That wouldn't make any sense.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 05:25 PM

It makes a difference. Especially as to your hookups.

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Justinkace1217
How many times have you heard of someone or made a little tweak to something yourself and it got you a few extra fish or a bunch of extra fish. Part of the fun of it. You guys that keep talking about red disappearing better not be using watermelon red for any of your soft plastics. That wouldn't make any sense.
Why? Watermelon is a green color with red flake...

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 06:32 PM

Just do a pepsi challenge and determine for yourself. When the lipless bite is on, you throw a bait with a red treble in front, while your partner throws the exact same bait with a standard hook. Compare your catch, especially your hookup and lost fish rate. El Butto predicts that many more fish will be hooked on the forward red treble.

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 06:38 PM

I'll take the challeng now if someone's up for it. I'll even fish in the back of the boat. Same bait just different hooks. I know a spot where the crank bite is on.
Posted By: Dale Bryant

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 06:58 PM

Maybe it has to do with your retrieve speed. If red hooks are supposed to simulate blood loss to attract more bites, then I assume you'd have to fish it like it was wounded, possibly slower or more erratic, in order to really test its effect on hookups.

I've used these on crankbaits in the red color:
http://www.tacklecenter.com/mustad/mustad-ultra-point-treble-hook-26294

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 08:46 PM

Because if the red dissapears why not just throw watermelon?

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 09:20 PM

I think the flake is pretty and they're the same price wink
Posted By: Kepi

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 09:30 PM

I put red hooks on my banjo minnows but I found it doesn't work as great as in the commercial where they get immediate bites from the overcrowded bass that's been underfed in a 10 gallon tank.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 11:06 PM

Well you have to wonder why red shad works also if red "disappears", right?

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/05/12 11:19 PM

Because fish know something's moving the water. They still see a shape of a bait. A 7" worm is a whole differnt story compared to a single hook on a crankbait. so no I don't wonder.
http://www.scubadiverinfo.com/2_red_at_depth.html
Posted By: Harleydude

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/06/12 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Ban-D
So instead of using a black hook you want a red hook that's going to change black? Makes sense...

No, that is not what I said. The red hooks are bleeding hooks. The color slowly comes off as you use the bait and simulates blood loss. Blood or anything red in water deeper than 3 to 5 feet will start to appear black. I scuba dive and one of the first things you learn is that red almost immediately turns BLACK on the decent due to the red light waves being filtered out. The murkier the water the faster this occurs. I was just trying to state a fact that nothing dissapears in the water. Don't use them if you don't want. I am confident that under certain conditions they work.
Posted By: COKEMAN

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/06/12 03:32 PM

Harleydude, I read somewhere that, yes, red (color) is the first to disappear, but in muddier water, it is actually one of the last to disappear. Seems contradictory to me and I'll see if I can find the article I read, but your experience seems to counter this.

Re: Red treble hook on the front hook of crankbait? - 11/06/12 03:39 PM

Bass can move and react quicker than you can real. Red may disappear quicker, but it doesn't disappear instantly. Your trap whips by the fishes face. Mr. Bass says "WTF was that?! and takes off after it. He has a split second to decide to hit or not, and how hard. He notices as he closes in that it appears to be injured and bleeding. He commits and hits right at the injured spot. Your red hook.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum