Texas Fishing Forum

How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels?

Posted By: SuperG

How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:02 PM

I've picked up a few Quantum Energy E101HPT reels and an E100PPT reel recently. I really like them, smooth and fit my hand well.

I also have some RevoS-L reels and a Revo SX-L and really think these Quantums are equal if not better.

How many of you guys use Quantum reels? What's your opinion about them?

Posted By: B.Byars

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:06 PM

had a code and accurist as well as a revo sx and stx. still like my curados better

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:21 PM

I have a couple of smokes, depending on what i'm throwing and what i'm doing i like them as much if not better than my revo's and lews..

they are good reels for sure..

Posted By: senko 10lb

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:29 PM

Used smokes and exo traded up to cores no looking back

Posted By: 210amatuerangler

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:37 PM

I'll trade you a lefty SX for that Energy.

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:42 PM

lol No thanks.

Posted By: txdan

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:42 PM

I do, I have a Smoke. Great reel for the $. Up there with Revo's and the E's.

Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:45 PM

I used Quantum reels for years when they were owned by Zebco and made in the USA. Now most of them are made in Korea and in my opinion are not as well made as some of the other products. I have a revo winch and it's ok for what I use it for(crankin') but is still not on the same quality level as the Shimano products I use ranging from the Calais down to the Bantam Curados that are twenty years old. But hey if you like it then it's your dime and on your time, by all means use em'.

Posted By: txdan

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:46 PM

Off subject I know but the Smoke rod is a must have with the Smoke reel. Very light combo.

Posted By: elkhartdom

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:48 PM

I used to, but swapped over to us reels, quantums are still very good reels

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:51 PM

I'm totally pro American, but I think lots of people give Korea a bad rap on quality. They are getting up there with Japan and even here with quality. Heck many major structural components for the F16 fighter jets (I work at Lockheed) made today are manufactured in Korea. Korean cars are top quality now. I'd wager Quantum reels today are getting up there with Shimano's older stuff.

Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/07/12 11:53 PM

Have a dozen Smokes. Love 'em.

Posted By: Jaredk

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 12:01 AM

Just picked up 4 Tour PTs at dicks for $25/ea. I believe they are the previous model but they are light, have carbon fiber handle, and feel pretty solid. I'm anxious to see off they hold up, I just couldn't pass on that price seeing that they are $260 originally

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 12:02 AM

Dang that's a good deal!

Posted By: Tracy Lee

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 12:28 AM

I still have a couple energy pt's, and while I do think they are a pretty good reel, I like my shimano reels better.

Posted By: teamIronman

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 12:42 AM

I have a quantum energy from YEARS ago... still use it and love it!

Posted By: BASSNat56

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 12:53 AM

I have an old Accurist 500Cx flipper in RH, it's ok- but if I could find one in a left handed model- I'd swap it out right now.
I prefer my Garcia Revo's much more than the Quantum or my 2 Shimano's.

If you want to trade one of those Revo's S LH for my quantum- send me a PM- mine is sitting on the shelf right now.

Posted By: Top Waters

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 01:01 AM

i bought an Energy and a Curado at the same time a few years ago and now have 8 curado's and only one Energy. Do the math.....lol.

Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 01:07 AM

After shimano changed the styles up on their reels this year I started buying quantum. Minus the e series curado I'll never go back to shimano. The KVD PT tour edition has to be the smoothest reel I've ever thrown. It right there with the Calais price wise and IMO performs better...

Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 01:50 AM

Love the Tour KVD reels for cranking. Haven't tried the lighter version that came out this year, but will buy one when funds become available.

Posted By: BanjoMinnow

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 01:56 AM

I have 6 Quantum Smoke PT 150's and I love them. Funny how no one ever mentions them with how many debates there are about reels on this forum. I like them as much, if not more, then any of my Lew's or Shimano's. And for anyone that is looking at buying Quantum reels, there is an eBay store called Fishermens Heaven that sells Quantum's for incredibly good prices, and I got them in the mail in less then a week. If you just go to their website though then they sell them for retail price, so go to their eBay store. I think they have all the different models of Quantums too.

Posted By: 96speed

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 02:13 AM

Used a couple buddies' Quantum reels before and my technical opinion is that they blow. I don't like the feel of the body, the cranking handle, and I didn't like the drag. Zebco should stick with snoopy reels.

What makes a reel good to me is the ability to pick it up, make a couple small adjustments and then cast a mile. The ergonomics are up there too.

Keep in mind almost every reel will feel good in the store or when its brand new. What separates the good [censored] from the trash is how it performs after 6 months of use. I've had best luck with the "200E" series Curados. I do like the feel of the Revos in my hands, but they need more upkeep than the Curados. That's my experience. Now, they changed both the Curados and Revos. Go figure.

I'm sure someone will brag about how KVD uses Quantums and Nitros. Don't listen to those idiots.

Posted By: Tracy Lee

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 02:48 AM

I don't think many people mention the smoke because at the price point, I think quantum completely missed the mark. The smoke in my opinion is nowhere near a $200 reel.

Posted By: LvilleLrat

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 02:50 AM

Energy and Tour Edition is all I have. Been using Quantum for 15 years and never any issues. Just like anything if you clean them and do the regular maintenance they will last forever. Don't plan on changing brands.

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Tracy Lee
I don't think many people mention the smoke because at the price point, I think quantum completely missed the mark. The smoke in my opinion is nowhere near a $200 reel.

I have a completely different opinion , and i have two smokes that I use alongside revo's and lews of the same price point.

I'd say they hit the mark fairly well, I think it casts light baits the best out of the three, and mine have held up exceptionally well.

I throw my small shallow cranks like a bandit 100 and small topwaters like a pop-r with them and also little n's.

I also pitch with one alot, and it works very,very well for this. I'd say it pitches better than my revo's and my lews t pro's.

the thumb bar is in a different position so the different ergonomics take a little bit to get used to switching from a revo or a lews, i hated it at first but after using it alot, i got used to the differences and really liked the reels.

The only reel i've use that pitches better and throws really small baits as well is the MGX, which is at a much higher price point so that comparison isn't fair..

Posted By: Legendonrichland-chambers

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 02:21 PM

i have 10 older quantums and there good,my new tour is already needing gears.....but aint no reel as good as the old team daiwa td1 or td2 tough as heck,throws forever,good drag,only down fall is it may be a little heavy for some folks....

Posted By: Brandon Shook

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 02:23 PM

I've got a set of Quantum Energy and Tour PT edition reels... they are awesome. The oldest is about 8 years old, the newest 1 year. They've all been great, great reels. With proper maintenance you'll never have an issue with 'em.

Posted By: Chuck A

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: E8C-ENG
Just picked up 4 Tour PTs at dicks for $25/ea. I believe they are the previous model but they are light, have carbon fiber handle, and feel pretty solid. I'm anxious to see off they hold up, I just couldn't pass on that price seeing that they are $260 originally

Thats a steal of a deal!!!! I love my Energy's and KVD Tours!!

Posted By: onthebank

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 03:42 PM

I'm not going to get in the middle of the war but will simply say that I have an old 1310 MG that is over 20 YO. It still works great and is my wife's go to reel.
I have heard comments all over the board about the newer stuff but have alos heard the same negative comments said about Shimano and Abu. Since production was moved to Korea and China the quality has been a question for all manufacturers. Well, really anything we buy I guess. Sad but true.

Posted By: onthebank

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 03:54 PM

I just looked online at Dick's site and didn't see anything on sale. What store?

Posted By: Jaredk

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 06:52 PM

Two separate stores in GA. All stores nationwide will have the same price though. They are marked down to $100 but will ring up $25

Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 07:10 PM

When I was still fishing full time I was never able to get a quantum to hold up as long as a Garcia or Shimano. Just not built as good.

Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: txwhitetail
When I was still fishing full time I was never able to get a quantum to hold up as long as a Garcia or Shimano. Just not built as good.

+1

Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 07:14 PM

its all I use...

Posted By: East Texas Archery & Bait

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 07:15 PM

no problems with mine.

Posted By: BIRD FLIPPIN

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: ko bass attack 27
I used Quantum reels for years when they were owned by Zebco and made in the USA. Now most of them are made in Korea and in my opinion are not as well made as some of the other products. I have a revo winch and it's ok for what I use it for(crankin') but is still not on the same quality level as the Shimano products I use ranging from the Calais down to the Bantam Curados that are twenty years old. But hey if you like it then it's your dime and on your time, by all means use em'.

Quantums are all made in China, they have their own plant there

Posted By: texasbassin

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 10:04 PM

I have a couple of Energys and love em'...i have had them for about 3 years now and are still holding up fine. I dont fish full time by anymeans, but I fish a lot and they get job done.

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/08/12 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ARKANSAS JAY
Originally Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Quantums are all made in China, they have their own plant there
Duh, oops. I'm getting my Abu Garcia Revo and Quantum mixed up. lol

Posted By: RoadBlock

Re: How many of you bass fishing guys use Quantum reels? - 08/23/12 03:14 AM

Good stuff is a bit steep and there lower end reels are terrible IMO

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum