Texas Fishing Forum

What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat?

Posted By: JacksonBean

What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/10/12 09:39 PM

Any of you guys have experience with small 2 man bass boats that fit in the bed of a full size truck? I like fishing small bodies of water when I can and I need something that will hold a trolling motor and battery.

I think the Bass Baby or Bass Buggy has wheels under one side of it so one guy can load and unload it pretty easily.

Any suggestions on what brand to buy or stay away from?

Thanks,

Jackson

Posted By: onthebank

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/10/12 09:47 PM

I have a 10' Pond Prowler made by a company nemed Charloma out of Kansas but sold at BPS. I don't have any experience with other brands but I can say that I have been completely satisfied with mine. I load it with a 36 lb trolling motor, battery, fish finder hard mounted to the gunnel, 2 seats, anchor, life jackets, 4-5 rods, tackle box, paddle, AND my wife and still have room to stand and fish.
It also weighs less than 100 lbs unloaded so I can get it in and out of the truck by myself withou any issues. This comes in handy when I need a real break.

There is also a 2 man boat thread. You may want to ask the same question there as it is pretty active. There are some pretty ingenious guys that build rigs to haul them, different FF mounts, etc. and love to share.

Good luck and enjoy.

Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/10/12 09:56 PM

Hey Jackson what's up man? I have those ponds in brownwood and have a 14 foot flat bottom from academy. Two ratchet straps hold it in the bed great I can take all my tourney gear in it two batteries and have sonar on the trolling Moter directly to the battery. I have two wheels on a vise for easy rolling it gives to guys more than enough room. I couldn't imagen using any thing else. We have been using it at wheeler branch to save the trailer fee back the truck way into the water and launch it without even taking the gear out. I drive it in the truck just like my ranger on the trailer the exhaust bubbles a little though lol.

Posted By: K.D.

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/10/12 10:07 PM

Check out the twin troller by freedom electric.

Posted By: mpowell

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/10/12 10:19 PM

Mine is a 9 foot BPS Pond Prowler. It is slightly lighter than the 10 foot version and since I use it by myself most of the time, I wanted the somewhat lighter version.

I use a 30 lb. thrust trolling motor with a large deep cycle battery, a portable fish finder, 7-8 rods, a tackle bag, 2 BPS double-sided worm bags, a small collapsible cooler bag, and miscellaneous other stuff. I find it very stable, all things considered (it's not a 21 footer, but I didn't pay $50k for it either). I've used it on small to large ponds (2-150 acres) as well as on Fork (not on the main lake, obviously).

A friend of mine had the 10 foot version mentioned above. He and I both fished out of that boat (double the gear listed above) and caught a LOT of fish with no problems.

I like mine...a lot. thumb

Posted By: brokenjeep

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/10/12 10:37 PM

http://www.sundolphinboats.com/oz/4/com/fish/pro/pro.html

I got rid of my 9'Pond Prowler and got one of theses and loved it.

Posted By: Claysefus

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 12:11 AM

22 ft ranger with a SHO 250.

Posted By: meP2too

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 02:42 AM

I would look at "The Original Buster Boat" by Splash Marine. I think Rockwall Marine sells them.

Extremely stable for its small size. I had an 8 footer, with a 5hp gas motor, 32# trolling motor, and a lowrance flasher.

I often consider selling my basscat and getting another "buster boat" and slowing down.

Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 02:51 AM

I have a 10'3" pelican. Great 2 man boat. Very stable and actually has a good amount of room for tackle, rods, etc.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12332_-1?N=581132420

Posted By: Stax®

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 05:53 AM

PM - Spring Lizard Waterdog....His is as nice as I have ever fished from. Good T Motor, Electronics, has plenty of room and a live well to boot!

Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeSouza
I have a 10'3" pelican. Great 2 man boat. Very stable and actually has a good amount of room for tackle, rods, etc.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12332_-1?N=581132420

Buddy has one of these. Very good little boat. And the livewell doubles as a decent cooler when you plug it. Grew up fishing in this. We would stick a trolling motor on front and one on back so have 60lb thrust or so total and two batteries with 4-5 rods apiece. Still have room to stand up and fish comfortably out of boat

Posted By: Spring Lizard Waterdog

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 12:39 PM

Bobcat electric boat. I have a 15 ft. They make them in 10 and 12 ft models also. It has a built in through the rear hull trolling motor foot controlled with speed control
on small console. Has a built in livewell also. Look up Bobcat Boats made in Louisiana. There is a lot of models to pick from depending on your budget.
Great boat

Posted By: Skeeter_Man1

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 12:48 PM

I would stay away from the ones at academy i have seen people fishing in the back of the boat by there self and it looked like the boat was riding a wheelie everywhere it went. If i was you i would stick with bps.

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 01:09 PM

I had one from Academy, bottom rear separated from the inner hull where the plug goes, the bottom would fill with water making it weigh twice as much. Only way to get the water out was to stand the thing up and let it drain. Plus because it is square it will not track strait. I gave it to my neighbors kids.

My bobcat will run across a big lake. I never takes on water, it is pointed on the front track great. It is made from fiberglass instead on the plastic material the others are made from.

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 01:11 PM

Go to Bobcatboats.com and look at them. They are number 1 in Louisiana. We grew up spring fishing Toledo Bend in them.

Posted By: salex

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 01:32 PM

I have this question asked alot from our membership. There are dozens of good choices. I think the best of the two man bass boats is the Twin Troller from Freedom Electric. I think the best value is the Original Buster Boat, now owned by Splash Marine. Splash Marine took down the Bass Buster web-site when they bought the company a couple of years ago and little information can be found. You can call Splash Marine and ask for a dealer close to you. There are at least 6 companies making these two man plastic boats and most appear to be about the same. The Bass Buster uses High Density Poly Propylene (HDPE) as opposed to ABS plastic which breaks down quicker in the sunlight. I have had a 10 foot Bass Buster for more than a decade, and I have used in hundreds of times. It still looks good and is in great shape.

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 01:56 PM

Pic of my 15 ft 2-man Bobcat electric boat with aerated livewell. I have a custom built trailer for it. This is my Grandson Cole. I photoshopped one of my big fish and the lake is in Viet Nam, wonder if it has any bass in it? I made this for my desktop photo.

Posted By: onthebank

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 02:22 PM

The Bobcats look cool but are they stable? They look a little narrow, kind of like a pirogue. They also don't look like they have much side to side leg room to turn 360 degrees if need be. Just my questions from the pics on their website. I looked at the 15'2" model.

I also forgot to mention and second what SALEX said. Stay away from ABS. It has a greater tendancy to split and break down over time. After a while of rubbing the pontoons over rocks, stumps, and the back of a tailgate it would be kaput.

My .02

Posted By: fishan

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 06:56 PM

Not even a question!

http://sundolphinboats.com/oz/4/com/fish/pro/pro.html

Posted By: salex

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 08:37 PM

Fishan,

KL Industries makes these boats and the name on the boat is different depending on where you buy the boat. For example it may be sold as a Bass Tender in one sporting goods store and a Pro 120 in a different sporting goods store. But they are the same boat. This is a common practice in lots of industries where a manufacturer makes one product for one company and makes the exact product under a different name for another. Usually this is to make it difficult or confusing for a consumer to price compare. The boat can be special ordered from Dicks, Academy, Bass Pro, Cabela's, and a host of independents. The 10.2 Pro and the 120 Pro look like nice boats that are different than alot of the others that are on the market.

Posted By: scott01

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/11/12 08:39 PM

Best 2 man bass boat is in the 20' range, lol.. Less chance of us snagging each other with hooks.

Posted By: fishan

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/12/12 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: salex
Fishan,

KL Industries makes these boats and the name on the boat is different depending on where you buy the boat. For example it may be sold as a Bass Tender in one sporting goods store and a Pro 120 in a different sporting goods store. But they are the same boat. This is a common practice in lots of industries where a manufacturer makes one product for one company and makes the exact product under a different name for another. Usually this is to make it difficult or confusing for a consumer to price compare. The boat can be special ordered from Dicks, Academy, Bass Pro, Cabela's, and a host of independents. The 10.2 Pro and the 120 Pro look like nice boats that are different than alot of the others that are on the market.

Correct Steve. I have had 7 or 8 of the Sun Dolphin Pro 120's over the past 8-10 years. I buy one and then people see it and want to buy it from me. So, there are a lot of them around my neck of the woods (most are my old ones). I have a guy in OKC that makes a cusstom trailer for them as well, much better than what Cabela's peddles.

Great boats and very stable!

Posted By: georgeZ

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/19/12 06:40 PM

Check out Porta-bote, I have a 10' one, about 60 pounds. I dont fold them any more, too much trouble, just store in the garage. You easily load/unload it on your truck bed (mine is F150). I run it using a 6 hp nissan. Very stable and easy plane with two on board. Easy get to small, water creek. Definitely check it out.

Posted By: cbow44

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/19/12 06:56 PM

go with a 12 or 14 foot aluminum boat and it will still be good 25 years from now. Most of these plastic boats will only last at the most 10 or so years.

Posted By: G-Money Monster

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/19/12 07:11 PM

This is probably the most Awesome Pimped out 2 man I have ever seen...Maybe give you some ideas....

Posted By: eagle 2

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/19/12 08:33 PM

That the dude from Kentucky?

Posted By: Jordan Massey

Re: What's the best 2 Man Bass Boat? - 07/19/12 08:45 PM

I have a 10' pelican boat that I fish out of. I put it on a flat bed trailer rather than putting it in the bed of my pickup. Makes easer to put in the water. If there is no boat ramp where I am fishing, it is very easy to get it in the water by your self. Mine does have a small leak in it, but I have fished for 8 hours and im fine. It leaks by one of the drain plugs in the floor. I just need to put some glue around it to make it stop leaking. I fish small bodies of water also. I take mine on lakes up to 300 acres with just a trolling motor (50 pound thrust) and a deep cycle battery and have no issues with the battery dying. No complaints from the boat! Hope this helps.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum