Texas Fishing Forum

BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod??

Posted By: Cass Caldwell

BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 01:47 PM

Looking for a quality $99 dollar rod. Which one of these is better? Anyone have experiences with both?

Thanks!

Posted By: onthebank

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 02:36 PM

I have a 7" med Veritas micro guide and love it. The action on them is a little stiff which is why I chose a med. I use it for flukes, TX rig, spinnerbaits, and topwaters. Pretty versatile and REALLY light. I plan on adding another 7" MH as a jig rod. I haven't had any trouble with mine but you will get other replies that say they are trash. I purchased the BPS gear guard just in case. Eye of the beholder maybe.
I had a Carbonlite but had issues with the micro guides and returned it for the Veritas. I think they have fixed the problem though so you should be good to go there too. It was considerably heavier as well. IMO.
In my experience, BPS branded gear is well made to include their mid to high end reels and rods. I even have a Tourney Special that I bought for guests to use. It has taken a beating over the past few years and still performs great. I stay away from their tackle but have a few of the rods and reels and couldn't be happier with any of it.
Go to the store and buy what is most comfortable in your budget. That will help you make your final decision. Don't let brand cowboys pursuade you. Remember, you have to pay for it and use it not them. Good luck!

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 02:55 PM

Thanks for the information!

Posted By: demok83

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 03:20 PM

Have you thought about falcon bucoo?

Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 04:00 PM

I had 3 veritas snap within a month of getting each one. Had a carbonlite and it lasted about 6 months..so out of the 2 id say carbonlite..but I would also explore the bucoo option.

Posted By: T-Gauntt

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 04:05 PM

TFO

Posted By: onthebank

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: T-gauntt
TFO

I have also heard some great things about these and in the same price point.

Posted By: T54

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano
I had 3 veritas snap within a month of getting each one.

Stop setting the hook into trees banana

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 05:09 PM

Thanks for the info. No, I have not considered Falcon. Still don't understand how so many people break rods. I've been bass fishing for 20 something years and have never broke a rod.

Posted By: BMCD

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 05:29 PM

Usually break because someone steps on them when on the deck.

Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 05:41 PM

They're both good options. If you need a heavy-duty rod, I'd lean towards the Veritas. BuCoo's are great all-around also, but many feel they are a little light for heavy jig or big crankbait kind of applications. It's been my experience that Falcon has a little better quality control from rod to rod than the brands mentioned here, even on their budget lines.

When you decide to buy, if you're getting them from a high-volume store like Academy, make sure to inspect each rod and pick the one furthest back in the rack that looks like it's been handled the least. Less likely they were dropped on the hard floor several times before you got it.

Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 05:43 PM

One broke while throwing a swimbait easily 3/8 oz lighter than the rod specs said,the other 2 broke while setting the hooks on 2lbers,the carbonlite I was right at the max weight for the rod and it broke while casting so I can't lay all the blame on the rod on that one...I don't mistreat my rods in the slightest but I fish a lot so the miles add up quicker on the rods than most.

Trey, I appreciate the advice, maybe I should stop fishing south of the dam thumb

Posted By: bigbass94

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 07:10 PM

I'd go with a Abu Garcia Veritas. I love mine! I've had it for about a year and a half now, I broke a guide about 5 months ago, and it STILL catches BIG fish. The durability is unbelievable in my opinion. The Bucoo is also a great rod, though! Can't go wrong with either really. Also consider the St. Croix MOJO rods. Carbonlites are great too!

Posted By: cbow44

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 07:30 PM

I have 2 carbonlites and like them a lot. Plus they are on sale thru fathers day.

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
Usually break because someone steps on them when on the deck.

Stepping on them, slamming rod lockers down on them, anfd other things like that nick the blank. Then they "break " later when setting the hook etc.

I guess in my 30+ years of fishing, i've never broken a rod that I know nothing like that ever happened too, so I must just be incredibly lucky with the ones i buy off the shelf, never breaking like the guys that break 3-4 a year...

More to the point of the topic, the Veritas is a very nice rod for the money, great balance and feel. For 99 bucks, imo you can't beat it.

I have a veritas i throw cranks on every time i go out fishing just about, it's a work horse, it's landed uncountable pigs, pulled in dozens of huge hybrids, and some massive gar. I had one close to 5' long the other day.

Setting the hook on two pounders doesn't break rods, slamming rod lockers on them does..

Posted By: Live4bassin

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 07:37 PM

I have had 3 Carbonlites and while I must say I did love them, I've replaced two of them. I have fished with a bucoo and liked it a lot as well. Never fished with a veritas before but have heard great things about them. I personally would chose another TFO. Great sensitivity and feel and with the split cork grip you can't go wrong, unless of course you like the foam handles. These are all great rods though

Posted By: Jigfish

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 08:03 PM

I have 6 BPS carbonlite rods and love them.

Posted By: BrentMeister

Re: BPS Carbonlite or ABU Veritas Rod?? - 06/14/12 08:14 PM

I have both and like both, but they are very different rods. The Carbonlite's are lighter and the action tends to run on the lighter side. The Veritas' are heavier rods and the action tends to run a little heavy. I also don't care for the metal cap on the butt of the Veritas - actually epoxied a rubber end on it...

Brent

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum