Texas Fishing Forum

Purple firetail worms

Posted By: krazydaddy2

Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:10 PM

My dad and I were talking about favorite baits and his was a manns purple firetail worm with a curly tail. I have looked online and all I have found are straight and flat tails made by Mann and Creme. Do you guys have anymore suggestions? The worms were scented from late 70's to early 80's.

Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:12 PM

Here is a look a like... I guess not sure if this is what you are looking for... http://www.fishingworld.com/fishnstuff/Details.tmpl?ID=10458445227401255&Cart=1331390652365657

Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:16 PM

I would LOVE to get my pops a bag or 2 of the old firetails. I've heard countless stories about lakes piru,casitas,castaic,mcclure etc back in the 70's and early 80's and the purple firetail.

Posted By: East Texas Archery & Bait

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:17 PM

CULPRT C720-33 7.5 Inch Worm Pumpkinseed Firetail

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexgolfer
Here is a look a like... I guess not sure if this is what you are looking for... http://www.fishingworld.com/fishnstuff/Details.tmpl?ID=10458445227401255&Cart=1331390652365657
Those are like the mister twister worms. Dads looking for a slight difference in them. Something from his favorite bass catching days.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano
I would LOVE to get my pops a bag or 2 of the old firetails. I've heard countless stories about lakes piru,casitas,castaic,mcclure etc back in the 70's and early 80's and the purple firetail.
If I find some I'll let you know.

Posted By: East Texas Archery & Bait

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:26 PM

Carlson Tackle Company
7.5" Injector Worm 10Pk - Purple / Fire Tail

Posted By: Fishin Machine

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:36 PM

BPS has their own brand the Squirming worm and we used to use that same color and wear em with it...

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Tournament-Series-Squirmin-Worm-6/product/51888/50625
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Squirmin-Super-Worm/product/15663/52774

Posted By: TCnLufkin

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:38 PM

Purple fire tail & white tails were popular back in the day. I think your looking for the culprit worm. Don't remember Mann worms coming with a curly tail. Could be wrong thou. Good luck.

Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:40 PM

I thought all of Mann's Jelly Worms were a flat oval looking tail. Thats all grandpa would use. Blackberry and Grape.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: TCnLufkin
Purple fire tail & white tails were popular back in the day. I think your looking for the culprit worm. Don't remember Mann worms coming with a curly tail. Could be wrong thou. Good luck.
Its okay im not sure either.

Posted By: OneStrike

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:00 PM

Here they are.
http://www.j-maclures.com/curltailworm6.aspx

Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:07 PM

Check out the culprit curl tail in "fire and ice", If I remember its more plum colord than purple w/ a blue/red fire tail. I like the 7 inch curl tails.

Posted By: scott01

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:11 PM

Are you referring to the old Mann's augertail worms? Still have some of those in various colors but not many. Mister Twister made a purple/firetail back in the day also. Not sure why we quit throwing those and/or the purple/white tail worms but it was probably because the newer metalflake type worms came out and we had to have those instead.. I'm sure they would still catch fish.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: junglejohn
Check out the culprit curl tail in "fire and ice", If I remember its more plum colord than purple w/ a blue/red fire tail. I like the 7 inch curl tails.
I use those myself.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:18 PM

no the tail too long.

Posted By: B Lee

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:20 PM

I grew up on purple/wht tail worms..

Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:29 PM

Walmart has a brand and usually carries the purple-firetail in 4 inch or 6 inch. Great worm that I used for years on Lewisville.

Posted By: Bazztex

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:30 PM

Luck E Strike made a Ringed Rascal in a curl tail in Purple firetail color too. We caught a lot of fish outta Fork when it first opened on Purple worms.

Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:31 PM

BPS sells the exact worm you are looking for in all the old-school colors.

Posted By: fouzman

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:34 PM

krazy, I could be mistaken but don't believe Mann's ever made a purple firetail jelly worm with a hook tail. Your Dad was more than likely fishing with a Mister Twister.

Posted By: B Lee

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:37 PM

I have some Mann's purple firetail Auger worms

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:42 PM

Maybe that's what he's referring to, the augertail.

Posted By: Andrew Winkle

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:44 PM

Looks like Luck "E" Strike is still producing them but Wal-Mart is only place selling them..... I think they're using the old Renegade brand molds as well....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Luck-E-Strike-...ci_sku=15992008

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:45 PM

We just looked at about 10 different worms and makers. The closest to his favorite that we have found are some old stren spl purple fire tail worms. These are not the exact, but will keep him happy for our first trip out together in years.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:46 PM

Wonder if it was the Mann's Manipulator?

Posted By: mjmfc

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:54 PM

Mists twister made the ones we used back then. Came in 6 and 10" sizes if I member right

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Hes fished with those and thats not them.

Posted By: throwback

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 08:03 PM

Check Academy. If I am not mistaken they carry the Creme (or knock-off) purple fire tail in 6 inch.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores...3708+4294962683

Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: backlash2059
I grew up on purple/wht tail worms..

Me too. And purple/yellow tails. All my grandfather ever used.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 08:14 PM

Ran across this and thought some of you might enjoy it. The history of the plastic worm.

www.bassresource.com/fishing/plastic_worm_fishing.html

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: throwback
Check Academy. If I am not mistaken they carry the Creme (or knock-off) purple fire tail in 6 inch.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores...3708+4294962683
close but darker.

Posted By: willcam97

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/23/12 09:05 PM

Luck-E-Strike 6" twirl tail worm. Pretty cheap ($1.56 at Walmart). Sold at Academy and Walmart. They have an amazing grape sent on them (only on individual packs, not multi worm kits). I love those things, especially in summer and late spring.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Luck-E-Strike-6-Twirl-Tail-Worm-Black/15992009

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 12:05 AM

Man you guys are bringing back memories of one of the first baits that I caught bass on. What is funny, the ole TX rigged plastic worm catches a lot of fish and I rarely have one rigged up.
I'm supposed to fish a tournament in a place that I used to catch a fish on a plastic worm like we are discussing. I might just have to rig up one and see what happens.

Luck E Strike site

http://www.buehlersales.com/CURLTAIL-WORMS.html

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 01:20 AM

I noticed back when they were real popular a lot of folks called the Black Grape/ Firetail a Purple/ Firetail worm. So if you're thinking about a darker color worm most likely it's Black Grape.

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: mjmfc
Mists twister made the ones we used back then. Came in 6 and 10" sizes if I member right

These are the ones he is describing. Mr Twister had the short curl tail.

Manns had a paddle tail with a point on it and the augertail.

Culprit fire n ice is half red glitter and half blue glitter, the whole worm.

The ringed rascall had a ribbon tail and they did make it in a purple white tail. This worm caught a ton of fish in its day. I still have some stored away.

I still have some special run colors of a 7 inch power worm.
Purple/red glitter white tail and blue fleck white tail. The perch love them.

Posted By: Allen Ehlers

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 01:43 AM

Do they look like these?

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Allen Ehlers
Do they look like these?

darker worm brighter tail

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 02:11 AM

Just got back from academy in lufkin with no luck. The place was very bare with little or no selection. Went to walmart and they had some but in a 4" worm good color and all but no 6".

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 02:22 AM

trying to upload picture please bare with me.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 02:34 AM

www.barlowstackle.com has a 6" Hooktail worm that might be close.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 03:11 AM

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r607/krazydaddy2/th_IMG_1061.jpg
the darker one.

Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 03:20 AM

Here ya go

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 03:36 AM

Thanks fish killer.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/24/12 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Bazztex
I noticed back when they were real popular a lot of folks called the Black Grape/ Firetail a Purple/ Firetail worm. So if you're thinking about a darker color worm most likely it's Black Grape.
The more I look online and compare the one he likes it could be blk grape and firetail.

Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 01:56 AM

Toledo tackle was the brand we used back in the day, my pops used to buy them for 6 bucks a pound

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Average Joe
Toledo tackle was the brand we used back in the day, my pops used to buy them for 6 bucks a pound

We used to shop at "Hals Toledo tackle" 20 yrs ago in shreveport la.

Posted By: JoeyC

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: krazydaddy2
Originally Posted By: Average Joe

We used to shop at "Hals Toledo tackle" 20 yrs ago in shreveport la.

I used to buy firetails from Toledo Tackle in Monroe, LA. smile

Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 03:38 AM

wow I don't see anybody use 'em anymore, I keep a sack of the Bass Pro brand of 5" grape/fire hook tail...and when times are tuff and I break one out if I have a partner they usually crack - "now that's Old School "...lol, but there are day's that the fish will eat 'em...

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: KCFISH'N
wow I don't see anybody use 'em anymore, I keep a sack of the Bass Pro brand of 5" grape/fire hook tail...and when times are tuff and I break one out if I have a partner they usually crack - "now that's Old School "...lol, but there are day's that the fish will eat 'em...
This is one of very few baits that my ole man has thrown his entire life. When nobody else catches fish dad always will with this worm.

Posted By: Mark in Frisco

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 10:11 AM

This entire post is a great read!

Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark in Frisco

+1

...gonna add this color to the arsenal as well...

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: YellowMagic
Originally Posted By: Mark in Frisco

+1

...gonna add this color to the arsenal as well...
SSSSHHHHH!!!!! Dont let this good ole secret out. grin

Posted By: RudyDep

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 05:02 PM

Ran across this and thought some of you might enjoy it. The history of the plastic worm.

That was awsome fouz...thanks.

Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 07:05 PM

Not that they won't catch fish now, because they will. But, the main reason they were so good 20-30 years ago is that many of our lakes had lots of Oak trees in them when they filled. This caused the water to be Tannic Acid (Coffee Colored Clear) water. That made this particular combination deadly.

Posted By: GizmosMom

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 08:41 PM

Back in the 'ol days my husband and his friend, John, threw the Creme worms...have looked for the purple and firetail but could never find the "originals."

Posted By: Chad711

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/25/12 09:21 PM

This what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=400291014119&nma=true&rt=nc&si=qBowhn2%252BOcIQQxrB2ir1oQDd3eI%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/26/12 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Chad711
This what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=400291014119&nma=true&rt=nc&si=qBowhn2%252BOcIQQxrB2ir1oQDd3eI%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Yes ,but with curly tail. After looking hi- n- lo I found out there called Manns Jelly Wigglers worms,but no chance of finding them.

Posted By: bobcat4118

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/26/12 07:05 PM

This is one of very few baits that my ole man has thrown his entire life. When nobody else catches fish dad always will with this worm.

+100! my 1st tackle box consisted of a handful of rusty true turn hooks, a couple worm weights and a bunch of fire tail worms, which were all "borrowed" from my pops!!!!

Posted By: WhiskeyTango223

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/26/12 08:43 PM

My Dad still throws a worm like that in "Tequila Sunrise" color and catches a LOT of fish.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/27/12 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By: bobcat4118

+100! my 1st tackle box consisted of a handful of rusty true turn hooks, a couple worm weights and a bunch of fire tail worms, which were all "borrowed" from my pops!!!!
It sounds like you had my old box.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/27/12 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishin Machine
Man you guys are bringing back memories of one of the first baits that I caught bass on. What is funny, the ole TX rigged plastic worm catches a lot of fish and I rarely have one rigged up.
I'm supposed to fish a tournament in a place that I used to catch a fish on a plastic worm like we are discussing. I might just have to rig up one and see what happens.

Luck E Strike site

I ordered some of these firetails and a couple other colors from Walmart for $1.50 something a bag... gonna go old school and see how they do..

Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/27/12 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: RudyDep

That was awsome fouz...thanks.

+1

....thanks for sharing

Posted By: SC-001

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/27/12 03:44 PM

Hes fished with those and thats not them.

Are you sure they are manns? only curl tail I remember them making is the augertail.

Quote:
Back in the 'ol days my husband and his friend, John, threw the Creme worms...have looked for the purple and firetail but could never find the "originals."

yes I've heard that as well funny thing this past week on belton red hue worms were working in that clear water, go figure.

Posted By: Texasrig3006

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/27/12 04:56 PM

I started worm fishing in the late 60's with Creme Purple and Red tailed worms caught tons of bass on them, I can't tell you how many club tournaments etc that I have won on a grapeshad Culprit worm. Just a great color for most east Texas lakes.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/27/12 05:04 PM

Luck E Strike site

I ordered some of these firetails and a couple other colors from Walmart for $1.50 something a bag... gonna go old school and see how they do..
I grabbed a few bags too, they are a dark purple with a bright tail. Hopefully they will bring on the fishes.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/27/12 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Texasrig3006
I started worm fishing in the late 60's with Creme Purple and Red tailed worms caught tons of bass on them, I can't tell you how many club tournaments etc that I have won on a grapeshad Culprit worm. Just a great color for most east Texas lakes.
The cremes can be ordered from their website.

Posted By: mox22

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/28/12 01:16 PM

It is the auger tail worm, I used them back In the day

Posted By: mox22

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/28/12 01:19 PM

They still sell them on manns website

Posted By: jackrabbitdad

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/30/12 04:50 PM

I used to find 7.5 culprits in grape/firetail, as well as grape/chartreuse tail. those were my go to worms when we were pond hopping. that was when I ran out of the old "fire n ice", however.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 04/30/12 05:13 PM

Luck E Strike site

I grabbed a few bags too, they are a dark purple with a bright tail. Hopefully they will bring on the fishes.

I was in WalMart just messing around and saw Luck E Strike Kits that were very inexpensive....

Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/01/12 01:28 AM

One of the first worm bait I started throwing ,Dad used it for years .....nothing but Ole School . Good info thanks guys.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/29/12 10:00 PM

I have recently been using some old worms that I still had in some of my old tackle boxes. It's crazy catching foosh on some 20+ year old baits. Even pulled out the biggest largemouth I have caught out of a particular body of water with one. smirk

I was searching online to see if they still sold some of them and one of the searches brought me to this thread.

Good memories! cool

Posted By: Neches

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/29/12 10:21 PM

Back in the day the only soft plastics I had in my box were Purple Fire Tail, Purple White Tail and 4in Lizzards, Black with yellow or white dots.

Posted By: pil,b

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/30/12 12:46 AM

I asked Galen Gilberth back in 1990 when he was guiding out of red wood lodge on falcon what color worms he used and he said any color would work as long as it was purple with a white tail. He ordered from Toledo tackle by the hundreds.

Posted By: BassSacker

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/30/12 02:24 AM

Years ago I bought my worms at Barlows from a worm bar, where you could pick your own and bag them. could buy 100 packs for $5 here is a link to there hook tail worms but did not see the old Purple fire tail, my favorite was always the purple white tail that is still available.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/6-Inch-Hooktail--P64.aspx

Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/31/12 12:35 AM

211 = Purple Firetail.

Posted By: jdjtexas

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/31/12 01:14 AM

I used to fish purple firetail creme tube worms in the late eighties and caught a ton of bass on them. Wish I still had some.

Posted By: gregotex55

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/17/13 06:49 PM

I've been looking for a classic Purple Metal Flake Fire Tail for YEARS. Did you have any luck?
Posted By: Rowdy196

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/17/13 06:54 PM

Mister twister bannaha sented was the best
Posted By: Paul's Tackle Supply

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/17/13 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Rowdy196
Mister twister bannaha sented was the best

X2

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/17/13 07:15 PM

Purple Metal Flake Fire Tail was so good it became illeagal in the states. That's why it has been hard to find.
Posted By: onthebank

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/17/13 07:20 PM

More than the color, I have been looking for a worm bar! I used to love going to those things as a kid and picking out my color of the week!
Posted By: bassfork

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/17/13 09:18 PM

I used up a lot of the old purple/red firetail jelly worms back in the 70's when I was mostly pond fishing. They were always my favorite but I do not think any of them were curly tailed.
Posted By: gpbassbuster

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/18/13 03:18 AM

how about a bass assasin grape/fire tail
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/18/13 04:07 AM

x2

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/23/13 06:38 PM

The search conitinues.

The J-Mac Purple metal flake fire tail turned out to be darker than the original after ordering a few online, picture was misleading(although I'm sure it will be nice)
http://www.j-maclures.com/curltailworm6.aspx

and according the lady at luck-e-strike, they don't pour the 310 Purple Glitter FireTail any longer.
http://www.luck-e-strike.us/catalogs/catalog-2012.pdf

Lord grant me the wisdom to accept the things I cannot change.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/23/13 06:52 PM

Call Mann's. I've actually ordered baits from them in colors they had discontinued. I think the minimum was 100.

Might work. Can't hurt.

I caught as many or more on purple/white and purple/yellow, but those were Mister Twister Phenoms.

...man, that was long time ago.
Posted By: Brian Muirhead

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/23/13 09:22 PM

I think this is the worm he is talking about.

http://www.mistertwister.com/information/6-phenom-worm/363#description~6P20%20136
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/23/13 10:10 PM

Galen Gilberth told me in 1990 after I ask him what was the best worm color to use on Falcon was any color would work as long as it was purple with a white tail. He bought them from Toledo tackle by the hundreds when he was a guide on Falcon. That man was a hoot and could cook the best hot wings I ever had.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/23/13 10:59 PM

Renegade Purple Fire Tail worms is where its at!
Posted By: MudMan

Re: Purple firetail worms - 05/24/13 12:21 AM

To my knowledge the original company that made the purple fire tail worm was Twiddle Tail which was purchased by Luck E Strike. Twiddle Tail also was the first to come out with a plum worm and the electric blue fire tail. These colors kicked A on Texoma in the early 80's. I still have a few unopened packs of Twiddle Tail worms, probably more than a few. I have darn near a hundred pounds of 35 year old plus plastics in carry bags.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 06/03/13 07:20 PM

Posted By: ZZ-Lures

Re: Purple firetail worms - 06/04/13 05:55 PM

We can make it.
Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Re: Purple firetail worms - 06/04/13 06:30 PM

Great thread, Thanks Fouz for that write up.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/12/13 02:38 AM

Not exact, but pretty close.
Berkley Blue Fleck firetail 7inch power worm

Posted By: Tony Clark @ Lake Fork

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/12/13 02:35 PM

krazy, I could be mistaken but don't believe Mann's ever made a purple firetail jelly worm with a hook tail. Your Dad was more than likely fishing with a Mister Twister.
That's my guess aswell,that worm at Monticelo was great at the railroad bridge even though the water temp was 105.Was a very popular color back then! woot
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/12/13 02:49 PM

I used to use a purple worm with a red paddle tale on it. I think it was called a ding dong down in Florida back in the 70's. Caught a lot of fish on them.

Re: Purple firetail worms - 07/12/13 08:15 PM

https://www.facebook.com/PurpleMetalFlakeFiretailFoundation
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum