Texas Fishing Forum

New to Bass

Posted By: FWAggie16

New to Bass - 04/22/12 04:29 AM

Hey guys, I'm more of a Catfish kind of guy, but thought about giving bass a try, anybody know any good spots in DFW and what to use?

Posted By: gampa

Re: New to Bass - 04/23/12 03:45 AM

To many miles from you for me to help sir but if no one can point you in the right direction you might want to stop by a local tackle or bait shop at the nearest lake and ask some folks. I'm sure they would like to help you catch some with what they might offer at their store. Good luck.

Posted By: Joe Angler

Re: New to Bass - 04/23/12 05:17 AM

Not sure about locations, but its always good to start out with a spinning medium-action rod with about 8 pound test line. It can be as cheap as a Shakespeare combo from Wal-Mart or a G-loomis rod with a Pflueger president spinning reel, depending on how much money you're willing to spend.

With lures you'll want to stick with a texas rigged plastic worm (I prefer watermelon seed green color) and crankbaits. There are a ton of lures that will catch bass but these two seem to be the easiest to get used to.

Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: New to Bass - 04/24/12 06:44 AM

You could drive here to Decatur and try the grasslands. Many small ponds with little pressure and lots of bass and catfish. I'd go with a medium action rod, 7 foot. Try a plastic worm or spinnerbait.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum