Texas Fishing Forum

Best big water boat??

Posted By: mwbmod74

Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:35 AM

Im sure this will start a huge debate, but im in the market to buy a new (to me) bigger boat 20 & up, question I have for you guru's is, what is the boat that handles big water the best, stability, ride & dry??? I currently have a 04 18ft Ranger & I think its awful in the rough imo.. Fire away guys!!!

Posted By: elkhartdom

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:39 AM

the tr21 is probably the best under 22 there is, otherwise, im told the ranger 22' is a dandy in rough water

Posted By: BassinHawg

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:39 AM

Based upon you criteria, if I was going to go into debt to buy a new boat it would be a Legend.

Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:43 AM

Get you a good used Champion or Legend. I would personally stay away from a 22' boat. In big swells they sometimes are hard to keep the nose up on.

Posted By: Dee Trammell

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:44 AM

+1 on the RANGER Z 522

Posted By: mwbmod74

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:46 AM

That makes sense about keeping the bow up on a 22 in big swells, preciate you bringing that to my attention, cuz thats what I was sorta looking for, and lolol, no debt here im paying cash, got a 25k limit though,,,

Posted By: Boo in FW

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:51 AM

Earl Bentz raced boats in big water and used that experience in designing the Triton bass boats. I've had my 21X2 in the middle of Amistad with 20 mph winds and felt very safe.

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:52 AM

Champion, Champion, Champion.

Posted By: crowhorse67

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 02:57 AM

TR 21 thumb

Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:00 AM

my 18' 6" triton does wonderful at Amistad

Posted By: ZigZag

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Champion, Champion, Champion.

Posted By: keithfishing0

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:03 AM

Zx225 does great , rangers are not bad if you don't mind getting wet,I have had them both.

Posted By: dflipper

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:04 AM

Triton Tr210 does the job for me.

Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:08 AM

Everyone knows its champion!

Posted By: Steve187 (A.K.A. GETFISHED )

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:10 AM

I would have to go for a Champion if that was number one priority that you listed. A couple things to keep in mind:

Require whatever you purchase to be max on power, in other words; don't buy an underpowered boat.

The other thing is this: They all have a dry ride...... unless they don't. Do you have a good understanding of how to drive a boat in "heavy seas" so to speak ? It makes a difference.

Posted By: JPost

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:11 AM

Haven't rode in them all, but my BassCat Puma is the best I've ever been in.

Posted By: Crash DeVerle

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:11 AM

Ran my TR21 on Fork this past Sunday without a second thought...Got a little wet, but having to run perpendicular to 40-50mph gusts will get you sprayed and tax your nerves a bit. Fork can get big in a hurry!

Posted By: Champ203ride

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:15 AM

Tr-21 is not a good rough water boat!! The other models like the x2 is. In saying that I love a tr-21 for what they are which is super fast, great fishing platform and the best storage layout. Tr-21 mercury 250 xs 81.6 gps.

Posted By: El Jigro

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:38 AM

tr 21 or an Original Comanche 21 ranger

Posted By: Tripp

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:43 AM

You might can find a Skeeter 21i a few years old in that range. 21i's are usually not overly tournament fished are big, and a little heavier than some of the other boats mentioned. I had one for the weekend at Fork a few months ago and it handled the wind great. It's also easy to load and is straightforward to operate.

Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:43 AM

A 20 Ft.Champion Boat is the only way to go!

Posted By: Jeremy S.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Skeeterjabo5518
Tr-21 is not a good rough water boat!! The other models like the x2 is. In saying that I love a tr-21 for what they are which is super fast, great fishing platform and the best storage layout. Tr-21 mercury 250 xs 81.6 gps.

I've been on Fork when it was pretty rough out in a TR21 with a good driver hauling the mail and I still had my kidneys when I got out and I was dry enough. I'm sure there are some better ones but the 21 I was in did a good job.

Posted By: El Jigro

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:47 AM

ive got a 21I skeeter and the Triton 21 is better for traveling in bad water...not fishing in it.

Posted By: Grant2

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:50 AM

I have been in some Big water and my Bass Cat has done it's job plenty of times. Champion would be my next pick.

Posted By: b00stin4

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:53 AM

hey we survived the trip across ray bob this weekend in my 18' Nitro lol
personally i dont think a 22 footer wouldve helped...
my recomendation is dont go out when its like that lol

Posted By: O da Pines

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:07 AM

No doubt champs r excellent rides in big water. I have owned 3 tritons 1 tr and 2 xs2. When the x2s came out with the fuel tank in the middle they give a champ a run for there money. Keep in mined if u know it is going to blow put some extra gas in the tank. The extra weight makes a big deference.

Posted By: bus driver

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: O da Pines
Keep in mined if u know it is going to blow put some extra gas in the tank. The extra weight makes a big deference.
thumb

……and fill the wells, the bigger and heavier the bus is the more stability you have.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Ivie Guide JR Howard
Get you a good used Champion or Legend. I would personally stay away from a 22' boat. In big swells they sometimes are hard to keep the nose up on.

thumb

Posted By: Lucas Lures

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:49 PM

I like the Skeeter.

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 03:56 PM

Champ or Skeeter, i have a 19'6'' Champ with a 200 on it and it performs really well on Amistad amd my buddy has a 18' skeeter and it does well for a small boat. i have ridden in a legend and was impressed but not sure on a price of a used one. you can find a good used champion for a good price.

Posted By: HasBen

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:01 PM

Champion, Charger, Ranger....all can handle pretty big water if the driver knows what he is doing. In my opinion, the driver is more important than the exact model of boat.

Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:01 PM

21' Legend is one of the best I have been in. Can't believe someone mentioned a ZX225. I've owned a ZX225 for the last 10 yrs and they are awesome boats, but they dont cut through rough water well at all. Skeeter iClass rides very well in rough stuff, but man the Legend is smooth and fast.

Posted By: Legend08

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:10 PM

I was sold on the Alpha 211 after a guide trip on Falcon back in 2009. Three people in boat and the ride was smooth on a breezy morning.

Posted By: RussellWayne

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:25 PM

This one?

Posted By: dtels

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:26 PM

i think it was back in spring of 97,i was at ivie,high winds blew in and to this day i haven't seen swells like that on freshwater,everybody was heading to the ramp,guys were beaching their boats everywhere,one guy beached on the damn,destroyed his boat,after we loaded,we were at the ramp sharing bow crashing wave horror stories with other fisherman when 2 old codgers pulled up with a 221 champion,launched and raced across the lake,so i bought what i could afford a 191 elite,i know have a 21 ft brocraft and it doesn't come close to the 19 ft champion in rough water.

Posted By: structure man(Guide on RC)

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:33 PM

If you are truely wanting a smooth ride in big water you have to try the Charger 596 and the new 797 for 2012, they have the best ride by far for big rough water. I will take you for a demo as soon as my new 2012 797 arrives. These boats have been in business for over thirty years and are all composite with a true 4" thick transom. See www.charger boats.com for more info.

Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 04:40 PM

Skeeter 21i no doubt. next would be a Champion.

Posted By: JDWchampion

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 05:03 PM

I had a triton tr-21 and i was not impressed with it at all in rough water. I now have a chamption 206 and it is the best rough water boat I have been in. Second best would have to be a ranger and the third best I have been in was a legend. Triton wouldn't even be in my top 5.

Posted By: ChineWalker

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 05:18 PM

That Charger 596 will cut thru a 4 foot swell like a Portugese Man-o-War ! ! !

Posted By: 2manyrangers

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 05:28 PM

My 04 521 was great in rough water, my new Z521 is awesome! It has been in some of the roughest stuff Sam Rayburn and Texoma have thrown at it! It is a heck of a boat and there are some great deals on pro boats right now, BBC has many listings.

Posted By: KevinT.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 05:39 PM

Bass Cat Jaguar, hands down.

Posted By: squib

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 06:30 PM

Whichever boat has the best, most experienced driver.

Posted By: Texas Smoke

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 06:35 PM

I have to chuckle anytime a Skeeter is mentioned as being the best boat in rough water.

I mean come on guys .........................

Posted By: B Lee

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 06:37 PM

I like my old champ

Posted By: barbarian

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 06:56 PM

I had a 19.5' Charger (195TF) and now have a Champ 210 (20'10") and can't imagine any boats being better in big water for their respective sizes. I am sure a couple of others are just as good, but no way any better. Also, as already stated, the driver can make a great hull look bad and make a good hull look great. I wouldn't consider myself even close to being a great driver, but Charger and Champion are great hull designs for big water.

Posted By: dtels

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 06:57 PM

keep in mind that no one will speak bad of their boat or brand on here either out of pride or because they may intend to sell on here later,maybe if you do some heavy research you might find a place on the net that test them unbiasely

Posted By: brb2825

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 07:20 PM

I own a champ and have no complaints but think ranger is smoother. I have not been in a legend so I can't say if it is as good as everyone says.

Posted By: Simmonsdlwa

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 07:20 PM

Lund Predator 2010 - Raised deck Muskie rig. Real 'Big water' boat.

Posted By: everett69

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 07:41 PM

i would test out a legend, Give Randy a call and he will make sure u get to ride in one.

Posted By: I AM LEGEND!

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:05 PM

what is the boat that handles big water the best, stability, ride & dry???

Based on that criteria? LEGEND 211

Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:08 PM

Gotta go with a 20' Champion. If I were going to buy a new boat my pick would be Legend.

Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF
Gotta go with a 20' Champion. If I were going to buy a new boat my pick would be Legend.

you through killing and going to start fishing again?

Posted By: diamond10x

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:10 PM

22' ranger comanche for big water

Posted By: Texguy02

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:15 PM

I always go by this.

Would rather have a great driver in a not so good boat than a not so good driver in a great boat.

I try not to get caught up in the which boat is better. Buy what fits your liking the most and of course your budget. Then learn how to drive and handle the boat and then the rough stuff doesnt matter.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: I AM LEGEND!
what is the boat that handles big water the best, stability, ride & dry???

Based on that criteria? LEGEND 211

Is that a commercial?

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:21 PM

It should be a commercial...it sold me, LOL! Maybe I should get a little kick back from the company? LOL

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: I AM LEGEND!
It should be a commercial...it sold me, LOL! Maybe I should get a little kick back from the company? LOL

No disrespect here, but I lost all respect for Legend being a good ruff water boat when they canceled the demo rides at the Legends Tourney on Fork this last spring due to wind. And it was only blowing 20 mph!

Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug E. Fresh

rolfmao

Yes. I was out there the other day for awhile. Saw you out on the lake as I drove over the bridge a couple of days ago.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:39 PM

rolfmao

Yes. I was out there the other day for awhile. Saw you out on the lake as I drove over the bridge a couple of days ago.

dang I am busted!

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:40 PM

Not sure why they cancelled...may have been liability of passengers...but I have ridden in NUMEROUS Champs & the Alpha 211 rides better than any that I have been in.

But again it's personal preference.

Posted By: Champ203ride

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 08:54 PM

Been on Rayburn when it was bad in a Champ 206 and it doesn't matter how good of a driver u are that boat makes up for it.!!! Thing is a big water BEAST!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Temple

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 09:11 PM

I have rode in them all. The BassCat Cougar FTD is the best riding boat. The gas tanks are in the back so it holds the back end down in rough water. I would put that boat against any of them in rough water. When you can run 60 in 3 footers and not get beat up that says a lot. Plus the hull has the v design like the champions. Anyone who wants to try one out in rough water compared to any other boat let me know.

Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 09:17 PM

Had a partner who had a Z9. Had a bad south wind on Texoma one day(it's almost every day in spring). He beat the hell out of me and the boat. I was soaked. He can't drive a paddle boat, let alone a bass boat. I got behind the wheel and was surprisingly one of the best rough water boats I've been in.

I'm still partial to a Cat though. The Cougar is a great big water ride. Not sure how the new Eyra is, haven't been in one. I run my 19'6" Cat all over Texoma on the worst of winds. My partner and I stay dry and comfortable.

The driver behind any bass boat is the difference between rough or smooth ride, dry or wet clothes!

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Temple
I have rode in them all. The BassCat Cougar FTD is the best riding boat. The gas tanks are in the back so it holds the back end down in rough water. I would put that boat against any of them in rough water. When you can run 60 in 3 footers and not get beat up that says a lot. Plus the hull has the v design like the champions. Anyone who wants to try one out in rough water compared to any other boat let me know.

I have been in Cougars and also in my Erya in some rough stuff and I would give both an A+!

Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: squib

the above is the truth all the boats are good but the driver makes them work right
I have put the FX 20 Skeeter in some really big water across this country and
for all around performance the FX 20 gets the job done and in style ...

Posted By: Stratos55

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 09:55 PM

+1 on that squib.

Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 09:55 PM

I remember the first TTBC at Fork. Woo Daves and Ben Matsubu had just come in from the morning session, and the lake was rough! So rough that I came out of LFM, ran down to Big Mustang, turned around and went back and put it on the trailer.

Anyway, when they came in they were both soaked, as were many of the guys. I aksed Woo how they had done (away from Ben) and he said "we only caught one three pounder and I'll tell you this, if you don't have a bad back ride in a Legend boat in this stuff and you will"!

One of our Mods sunk his Legend on Choke last year. Sunk fast, too.

I've ridden in and driven several Legends and they drove and rode fine. They're certainly one of the prettier boats on the water, but the lack of storage and narrow front decks on Legends aren't for me.

Personally, there are only three brands of bass boats I would own.

Skeeter
Cat
Ranger in that order.

Posted By: swampcat

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: KevinT.
Bass Cat Jaguar, hands down.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 10:06 PM

Sooooooooooo true!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: RMS007

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 10:17 PM

been fishing on Amistad in 30+ mph wind for better than 20 years, in 3 different bass cats (puma, PII, Pantera Classic) & ranger z & skeeter zx225, but the best one i've personally owned is a champion 202, still miss that boat.

Also, a champion 221 or 223 if you can even find them, not saying they are the know-all best boat around..but if you want a great boat when the going gets tough, it's a great boat to have, and make sure you get the max-rated HP for your hull.

Posted By: DEREKG

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 10:22 PM

I definitely agree with some of the boats listed here, haven't been in a champ but my phoenix 721 is great in the ruff stuff, it is very smooth and cuts waves really well.. It doesn't land hard with those bone jarring impacts some others do..
May not be in the budget but like I said very soft ride in the ruff stuff, I can run faster than most and not get beat up..

Posted By: ssmith

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 10:29 PM

these threads dont have much info value more like mine is bigger than yours to find out what works go put in some seat time when its rough.

Posted By: sd

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 10:38 PM

mwbmod74 you have a personal message

Posted By: BMCD

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 10:55 PM

No one does ride better then Champion or Charger, that's just the way it is. Length is another big factor. Driver is the other, knowing what your boat can and cannot do. After that they all seem to ride bout the same. If we are comparing similar sized boats. Some do better in certain situations then others. But its pretty close. I get a lot of compliments on my Z9 for the ride.

Posted By: mjmfc

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 11:09 PM

I like the way my Stratos 201 handles the rough stuff.

Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: ssmith
these threads dont have much info value more like mine is bigger than yours to find out what works go put in some seat time when its rough.

They always do!

Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeSouza
Had a partner who had a Z9. Had a bad south wind on Texoma one day(it's almost every day in spring). He beat the hell out of me and the boat. I was soaked. He can't drive a paddle boat, let alone a bass boat. I got behind the wheel and was surprisingly one of the best rough water boats I've been in.

I'm still partial to a Cat though. The Cougar is a great big water ride. Not sure how the new Eyra is, haven't been in one. I run my 19'6" Cat all over Texoma on the worst of winds. My partner and I stay dry and comfortable.

The driver behind any bass boat is the difference between rough or smooth ride, dry or wet clothes!

I own a Bass Cat Pantera Classic. Rough riding boat. I figured it was just that model until I rode in a Puma during the TTBC three years ago. Made me wish they had a on the water chiropractor. It was rough but not scary or anything. Rode way too rough to be seen as a good riding boat. From my experience it's Champion then Charger leading the pack.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/26/12 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
Originally Posted By: MikeSouza

I own a Bass Cat Pantera Classic. Rough riding boat. I figured it was just that model until I rode in a Puma during the TTBC three years ago. Made me wish they had a on the water chiropractor. It was rough but not scary or anything. Rode way too rough to be seen as a good riding boat. From my experience it's Champion then Charger leading the pack.

I own a classic and it's far from rough. The first 6 months I owned it, it was a neck jerker. Once I got my motor height where I wanted it and learned how to drive this particular boat. It has been a great rough water boat.

Posted By: Lukethadrifter1969

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:16 AM

I like what Squib said earlier. The most experienced driver can take an 18 foot boat and make it seem a heck of a lot safer than an inexperienced driver in a 21 foot boat. Ive been in em all and you get wet in em ALL. When you are in a boat that sits like a bass boat, you are gonna get wet in troubled waters, bottom line. The boat that fishes the best may not be the driest and vice versa. Evryone is gonna be partial to one brand or another because its what "they have" and its what they know. Skeeters, Triton, Ranger, Legend, Bass Cat, are all gonna get you there in one piece.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:18 AM

24 Foot Skeeter Bay Boat is a pretty damn dry ride!

Posted By: Allison1

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:22 AM

This question has been asked too many times. Lets settle it.

Lets get some 21 footers and take them to the lake when the winds blowing 20 mph. Ray Hubbard with a good stiff south wind should be a good testbed.

Take a couple Rangers, Bass Cats, Champions (Stratos Elite), Tritons and Legends.
I'll bring my boat and my daughter to film the start just outside Bayview Marina.

Then Tiffany and I will run up ahead and film you guys coming in up at the dam.

That sounds fair.

Posted By: Manchu

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:25 AM

48 ft zuma

Posted By: Patrick M

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I remember the first TTBC at Fork. Woo Daves and Ben Matsubu had just come in from the morning session, and the lake was rough! So rough that I came out of LFM, ran down to Big Mustang, turned around and went back and put it on the trailer.

Anyway, when they came in they were both soaked, as were many of the guys. I aksed Woo how they had done (away from Ben) and he said "we only caught one three pounder and I'll tell you this, if you don't have a bad back ride in a Legend boat in this stuff and you will"!

I've ridden in and driven several Legends and they drove and rode fine. They're certainly one of the prettier boats on the water, but the lack of storage and narrow front decks on Legends aren't for me.

Skeeter
Cat
Ranger in that order.

I concur, I have been in a Legend LE-21 several times and any time the wind is blowing, I am getting wet..... make that soaked!

I have had my FX20 for over a year now and had it some pretty serious rollers. It takes the big waves well, doesnt get you soaked, and rides really well. I'm sold on Skeeters, this is my first one and I intend on getting another when I decide to sell mine.

Posted By: FZ1

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Allison1

Lets get some 21 footers and take them to the lake when the winds blowing 20 mph. Ray Hubbard with a good stiff south wind should be a good testbed.

Take a couple Rangers, Bass Cats, Champions (Stratos Elite), Tritons and Legends.
I'll bring my boat and my daughter to film the start just outside Bayview Marina.

That sounds fair.

Lol.

Posted By: Manchu

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:53 AM

you wouldn't have a working camera after a ride in that allison

Posted By: Cmack

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 01:10 AM

I'm especially impressed with the guys that suggest filling up the live wells.......too funny!!!

Posted By: KsChampion198

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 01:25 AM

I have been in many 20-21 foot boats, and by far, the worst ride ever was a TR-21. I still get aches thinking of that ride....

Posted By: mutantslinger

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 01:38 AM

It has more to do with the driver than the hull almost all the time. Speed, reading the waves, throttle control, weight distribution, motor height, prop choice all factor in too. Trying to narrow it down to a certain make and model isn't the answer.

Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 01:38 AM

That sounds fair.

That is awfully nice of you to offer to film the start, the race and then blow the participant's doors off, run ahead and set-up on the Dam to film them coming xcross the finish line. hmmm coach "my boat's faster than your boat, my boat's faster than yours, my boat's faster cuz..." sarcastic

The question was, "best big water boat". OP meant to say "bass boat" I'll bet.

I don't think anyone here would dispute that the Charger, Champion and similar predecessors were the very best at handling rough, dangerous water. Not the softest ride, but certainly the safest and most dry at normal speeds.

Only significant disadvantage is profile above the waterline and difficulty maintaining heading because of that.

Best from a speed standpoint are listed above by a man who knows fast.

Best in the categories that matter most to fishermen, I still like Sk, BC and R! We're lucky to have so many choices beyond those big three.

I'll tell you this, if you sat in the passenger's seat of KVD's Z9 with him driving, you would swear that is the best riding boat made.

Same with Kriet in a Triton, KJ in an FX, Brauer in a Ranger, IKE in a Cat, Hackney in a Phoenix, Lane in a Legend...you get the point.

Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 01:42 AM

And bass fishes just fine grin

Posted By: South TX Legend

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 01:42 AM

Take A ride in a legend an your next boat will be LEGEND!

Try to set up a demo ride on windy day. I would take you out in mine if you lived in SA.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: *Lakeguide*

And bass fishes just fine grin

I think last spring when the winds were 30-35 mph it was the only way we could have fished T'wok! thumb

Posted By: lookn4afishfight

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 01:59 AM

just to throw in my .02

1. TOW
2. BE SMART
3. TOW

Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: KsChampion198
I have been in many 20-21 foot boats, and by far, the worst ride ever was a TR-21. I still get aches thinking of that ride....

All Bass Boats ride rough in 3ft waves regardless of the brand and you will get wet in all of them.

Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Whitt Smith

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 02:18 AM

Ranger

Posted By: bholladay

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 02:26 AM

LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: J-2

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 02:29 AM

They'll all do the job with the right operator.

The problem with this question is most on here will swear by what they are currently in........makes em feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Test them all and pick what feels right to you.

Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 02:37 AM

Well to fine the best riding boat. I think you would have to get all models and one driver that would give a honest opinion on a windy day. You are right we are going to name the boat we just paid way to much money for. LOL

Posted By: Chris B

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 02:47 AM

That sounds fair.

I'll tell you this, if you sat in the passenger's seat of KVD's Z9 with him driving, you would swear that is the best riding boat made.

Same with Kriet in a Triton, KJ in an FX, Brauer in a Ranger, IKE in a Cat, Hackney in a Phoenix, Lane in a Legend...you get the point.

It is all about the driver.

Posted By: Jmsteele

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 03:49 AM

Skeeter
Cat
Ranger in that order.

Lol, it's funny you say this. My buddy fished as a co-angler and drew out with Ben Matsubu at falcon in 08. After that he said he wouldn't own a legend if it was given to him. He said he had never been in a rougher boat in his life. Maybe Ben is just a bad driver.
As far as other boats the new Phoenix 921 has a very good ride as well as the champions. The bigger tritons may ride good but my 18'6" will hammer on you in big water.

Posted By: bassman72

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 04:32 AM

Saw a champ go under and stay under at Amistad, a ranger get the top cap broke off Texoma, a gambler go under lewisville, skeeters spear at meredith, ranger spear at meredith broke both windshields off. Don't matter what kind how big if you don't know how to run it you're going to have problems. I run 20ft skeeter was on the water when all these boats had problems my skeeter no problems. I've been tournament fishing 25 years fish in the panhandle if you don't learn to fish big wind and rollers you don't fish. Get with someone who knows how and learn.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: bassman72
Saw a champ go under and stay under at Amistad, a ranger get the top cap broke off Texoma, a gambler go under lewisville, skeeters spear at meredith, ranger spear at meredith broke both windshields off. Don't matter what kind how big if you don't know how to run it you're going to have problems. I run 20ft skeeter was on the water when all these boats had problems my skeeter no problems. I've been tournament fishing 25 years fish in the panhandle if you don't learn to fish big wind and rollers you don't fish. Get with someone who knows how and learn.

+1 thumb

Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 05:28 AM

Ford

Posted By: Cmack

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 06:12 AM

Chevy

Posted By: Troyz

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Fast Lane
Originally Posted By: KsChampion198

All Bass Boats ride rough in 3ft waves regardless of the brand and you will get wet in all of them.

And none of them are can run 60 mph safely in tru 3 ft waves.....

Posted By: Scott McCormick

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:01 PM

Champ 221,223,210,206
Charger 496,596
Skeeter 22i

Posted By: Fishing Ape

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 12:56 PM

I can't speak for all brands, but Im satisfied with my Charger. Everyone that rides in it says "this is a good riding boat". Plus its payed for.

Posted By: Steve Mountain

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 02:07 PM

banana

Posted By: Razorback

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 04:02 PM

I read some of these informercials...and all I can do is laugh. I have been beaten nearly to death in rough water in some of the boat brands mentioned, including my own.

Posted By: Cloud Dancer

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 04:13 PM

It sure would be helpful to know at least the basics of tackling the 3 footers. I speared a wave and it was a frightening experience (in my then-new 363V Ranger). It took off the windshields and the graph, filled with water, and I ended up spending a very cold night on the opposite side of a big lake (opposite of side of where I wanted to be).

My first choice is Ranger Z520, but also learn a few basic steps in handling the waves.
I'm biased, that's why I would buy another Ranger.

Posted By: Steve187 (A.K.A. GETFISHED )

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 04:17 PM

In terms of best "rough water bassboat" many have alluded to their favorite brand, many have also referenced driver ability to competently drive in big rough water. I bet most guys on here assume they are "good rough water" boat captains. I like to think I am but I don't go out and practice it.

Posted By: Chadilac

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 04:21 PM

Last Sunday on RH, I am glad I was in a Legend! There is a reason there are not alot of used Legends on the market!

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 05:06 PM

I agree Ape. The best riding rig is the one that's paid for!

1. Alpha 211
2. Cajun fish n ski
3. Ranger 373v
4. Can't remember the name.

Posted By: 361V

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 05:52 PM

I crossed Falcon in 35mph winds this last year in a 1992 Ranger 361V. Oh ya, did I mention it sucked?

Posted By: Lukethadrifter1969

Re: Best big water boat?? - 01/27/12 06:14 PM

Spearing 4 footers = Best way to clean your boat off. Pricetag= a few curado reels and a couple falcon rods!

Posted By: swampcat

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/07/12 06:55 PM

The driver can get anyone wet in any boat...

Posted By: legendruns1

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/07/12 07:34 PM

Its all how you drive,However,My Legend is the best ive been in in rough water.If you take your time,You can get back in just about anything.My mentor has a champion 223,Its by far a great rough water boat.We made some very long runs in 5 and 6 foot waves and i never got wet once.He is a very good driver though and he taught me how to skip waves.Get your nose up and goose it on the rouges,skip one and land on top the next one.Ive learned well,but i have speared my fair share in the process.Im really impressed with the way the legend hull just slices right through them.Running rough water is definitly an art,and not everyone is an artist.

Posted By: gutterman1157

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 12:42 AM

Obviously none of you have driven a sterling. they have the weight of a big champion or rangernbut then they have 14" trim tabs That allow you to trim the nose down into the wave. I have had ranger and skeeter but at 50mph in 2 to 3 ft waves nothing can come close

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Manchu
you wouldn't have a working camera after a ride in that allison

i think you would be shocked if you rode in an xb2003 and saw just how darn good they can run the rough..

but back on topic, the driver has more to do with it than the boat, driven correctly they can all handle rough water pretty well, up until a point. then unless you have too, you just shouldnt be running in it.

Posted By: Texas Smoke

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: legendruns1
Its all how you drive,However,My Legend is the best ive been in in rough water.If you take your time,You can get back in just about anything.My mentor has a champion 223,Its by far a great rough water boat.We made some very long runs in 5 and 6 foot waves and i never got wet once.He is a very good driver though and he taught me how to skip waves.Get your nose up and goose it on the rouges,skip one and land on top the next one.Ive learned well,but i have speared my fair share in the process.Im really impressed with the way the legend hull just slices right through them.Running rough water is definitly an art,and not everyone is an artist.

Skipping 5-6 foot waves.

I've read it all now .....................

Posted By: TX Basser

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: 90 5.0
[quote=Manchu]

but back on topic, the driver has more to do with it than the boat, driven correctly they can all handle rough water pretty well, up until a point. then unless you have too, you just shouldnt be running in it.

Have to agree with this. Rode in two Ranger Z521s last weekend with different drivers. In one I felt like popcorn in a kettle. The other driver knew what he was doing and the ride was MUCH better.

Posted By: jgf131/tx

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 05:44 PM

my Champ 210 is great
not quite as good as my old 203 though

Posted By: RRogers

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 06:45 PM

This debate always makes me laugh when I see anyone call a Ranger a good rough water boat. They are the best fishing platform in the business and a very well made boat, but they are not even close to any of the other top 10 in rough water capabilities. Champion 1st, Charger 2nd, Bass Cat 3rd, Stratos, Triton, Skeeter, Legend 4th, all good rough water boats, Ranger is the worst rough water boat you will ever ride in. If you want proof go watch or fish as a co angler in any Pro Am event on Texoma or Rayburn in the wind. By the way the greatest tournament fisherman ever has never fished out of anything but a Nitro.

Posted By: Aceman93

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 06:51 PM

OK, we all know that a driver can make a bad boat look good. And honestly most of the time this is true. If we are talking about recent models then we have real info to work with. in the 80's every boat sucked. In the 90's things got better. Since 2000 almost every maker has a boat that is 21ft and runs good in the rough stuff. It takes a good driver for some and asome can make a bad driver look good. Choice is not so much what boat runs best but what boat works best for you and will handle what you want to do. Think about a wave span on most lakes will not get farther than 20ft however from keel to motor to span that it would take a 23-5 foot boat. So this is why driving is the key. I have fished some rough stuff like I am sure most have who replied but I will say Champion is easy to drive in rough water as is a Charger. Ranger is right behind with Legend. Find the one you like and go for it.

Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Chadilac
There is a reason there are not alot of used Legends on the market!

Might just be cause they don't sell as many as other brands also. thumb

Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Smoke

Skipping 5-6 foot waves.

I dont even like driving my truck when there is wind high enough for 5-6 foot waves.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 07:54 PM

I don't have anything to prove to you Texas Smoke.Just offering some input.Not all drivers can do it,if you cant,well i'm sorry.

Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 09:14 PM

That sounds fair.

That's good David. Let's see if you get any takers.

Posted By: JPost

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 09:30 PM

Once the water is rough enough where you have to tack or ride waves to survive I don't think the brand matters much assuming you're in a solid, well made boat where the engine won't fall off. In those cases I've found my old 19 footer was better because I could maneuver more quickly than bigger boats.

It's when you're in 2 footers and you're getting up on top that I've noticed some boats smoother than others. I'm partial to BassCats -- they're really solid and the newer hulls in the Puma and Cougars really ride through waves well. I've been in Skeeters and Rangers in choppy water and find that Skeeter seems to have a softer ride (at least the models I've been in. The only boat that I thought was terrible was Nitro but that was around 5 years ago and maybe they've gotten better.

A bigger issue is the capacity of your bilge emptying system. The most likely problem I can see is shorting out you electrical system and losing all power out in big water. Chance are you're going to take on water so whatever boat you're in better have good high capacity bilge pumps. The last thing you want is for water to cover your batteries.

Posted By: Bass Hawk

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/08/12 09:54 PM

I have a 21' skeeter and i love the ride. But i think your gonna get wet in them all. Just the low profile of the hull design. I always look for someone to fall behind and let them take the brunt of it; If there is a smaller boat then i let them fall behind me and i take the brunt.

Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/09/12 03:00 AM

I just sold it but my Triton 21X2 was the best boat I have ever rode in in rough water, it would run too, 300 ponies, 79 mph. not bad for a almost 22 foot rig.

Posted By: ZigZag

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/09/12 03:43 AM

Arleigh-Burke class.........DDG
Trollin' motor needs to be then 'long shaft'.......:)

Posted By: 90 5.0

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/09/12 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Smoke

Skipping 5-6 foot waves.

5-6' swells in an offshore crewboat will beat you to death, much less a bassboat..

Posted By: trailer hook

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/09/12 04:28 AM

Its the driver...I like my zx-250 for fishing in rough water...Great stable deck...

Posted By: noluk

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/09/12 07:40 AM

I agree it is primarily the driver.

And I think most of the boats here can be good in the rough stuff if the driver is good and the boat matches their mindset about how they want to drive in the rough stuff. More to the point though is each boat will have a strength and a weakness. Following sea, quartering seas, current against the wind etc will all create different situations that each boat is going to respond to differently. Pick the boat you like the best then do the following.

Plan for having to deal with rough water.
Jackplates are huge here. Rough water lower your prop and get more leverage. Some days all you can do is lift the nose and tack back and forth across the waves at 30 mph. A deeper prop will let you hold that speed.

2nd most important thing is to have a good rough water prop. Put it on when you know it is going to be bad. A 5 blade prop about 3 inches below your standard pitch will be ideal. This will let you stay on plane and not bog when going into or up and down big waves. You will also respond to the throttle a little quicker to adjust to waves.

3rd is to balance a boat. Left to right and a lighter nose will make it a bit easier to run. Great wet weather gear will make the run more enjoyable. Getting wet and cold will make any ride feel worse. And if you are running serious big water any boat will be wet. A right to left wind over 40 mph is going to equal a wet boat no matter the brand in any lake that develops decent swells.

Trim tabs are extremely rare as standard equipment on a bass boat but extremely common on saltwater boats. Mandatory on go fast slatwater boats.

A few truths about all boats. The deeper the V at the stern the smoother landing back in the water will be. There are certain hulls that can get on top of waves and skip across the waves much faster than slogging through them. Until they can't... Then you get to experience the joy of stuffing a wave. The faster you stuff a wave the more it hurts and the more things that were attached to the boat that will no longer be attached. Like a T-top in a certain go fish fast saltwater boat that someone I won't mention stuffed in the Atlantic one day being stupid. Very few boat engineers design performance for underwater operations. In case that does happen, make sure you have 2 good working bilge pumps. It should also be mentioned that auto-inflate mustang vests are a no-no in rough wet weather.

That new Sirius weather radio from Lowrance or any marine band weather radio should be your first line of defense in either being prepared for the weather or better yet, if it is going to be that bad, not out there.

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/09/12 02:12 PM

Ive been offshore on a 6 hour crew boat ride in 20 footers many of times.Maybe thats why a 5 or 6 footer doesnt seem all that big to me.Like i said,Not everyone is an artist.

Posted By: Angler's Marine

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/14/12 12:16 AM

TR21,TR22, Basscat jaguar. Have owed 18 different boats and these were dry and rode the best. Some others were good but you needed a rain coat and some would beat you to death. Not mentioning brand names in fear of pis### someone off

Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/14/12 12:17 AM

No one like to admit they bought a POS or they made a mistake so 90% of the answers will reflect exactly what the responder owns.

Posted By: 4blade

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/14/12 03:20 AM

Carnival cruise ship will get it done

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/14/12 03:42 AM

I don't know, was on the Carnival Conquest a couple of years ago, when it was pitching so bad you could barely walk down the hall. That's with the stabilizers deployed on a thousand foot ship. Some folks were meeting Chuck after dinner that night.

Posted By: Tree Shaker

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/14/12 03:44 AM

Champion of course!!!

Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/14/12 04:01 AM

Ive always heard champion and legends are the best in big water. O and cant forget about the good O hawks smile

Posted By: brb2825

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/14/12 04:34 AM

I have a campion. I like it, but big wind and waves would not keep me from buying any boat. You just have to learn to drive the one you like. Don't buy a boat cause someone says it rides good in rough water. Buy the one you want and learn to drive it.

Posted By: Jeff Kitchens

Re: Best big water boat?? - 02/14/12 05:06 AM

Agreed..... it is 75% driver 25% boat. I don't knock anyone for thinking there boat is better than the next. It is all personal opinion. And like said before, no one is going to admitt to making a $60,000 mistake buying a boat they are not happy with untill they sell it! I have plenty experience in big water (Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn, Falcon, Amistad, Etc...) like most people on here have. I have driven cats, skeeters, tritons, champions, rangers, legends, nitros, and the phoenix. I have owned five of the above. Everyone of them have something to offer. But the Phoenix is the only boat I have owned more than one of! I thought I had made a huge mistake when I watched my Ranger being pulled away. But I have never been more happy with my boat than with the Phoenix. I fished anglers quest on Rayburn this Saturday with 30MPH gusts. It took me 15 minutes to get from veach to the dam. My partner has had a back and a neck surgery. He is in the process of buying a Phoenix! I would offer a demo ride to anyone who wants to see! 903-649-3354 The diamond V hull is built for a smooth fast ride, and it fishes good too!

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum