Texas Fishing Forum

there's alot of pre spawn talk

Posted By: trickwormdestroyer!

there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:07 PM

i have been hearing alot of people talking about the fish being in pre spawn now that the temp is dropping i was wondering what ya'll guys are thinking.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: trickwormdestroyer!
i have been hearing alot of people talking about the fish being in pre spawn now that the temp is dropping i was wondering what ya'll guys are thinking.

Prespawn where?
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:15 PM

Not even a power plant lake would have pre spawn fish right now. Fish spawn in the spring in Texas.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:15 PM

i always heard it don't madder what season it is if its 65 degree's there gonna spawn
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:24 PM

Best way to catch them pre-spawners in the fall is with a top water carolina rig. Shhhhhh.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:24 PM

i always heard it don't madder what season it is if its 65 degree's there gonna spawn

I would reevaluate what you have always heard and not plan on looking for bedding fish any time soon.
Posted By: jbhall1183

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:28 PM

I dont think they actually spawn but they move up real shallow as if they are spawning.. chasing bait fish and whatnot. ive had lots of luck throwing swim baits at that time of year. never seen a bed in the fall.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:30 PM

alright that's why i wanted to check slinger
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 05:48 PM

I have seen recent reports that people think they are seeing pre or post spawn fish on Falcon because they are as fat as footballs and their tails have been bloody. They are not due to the spawn. It is due to the large amount of bait available in the shallow water due to the 19 ft drop in water level. Those fish are chasing bait in shallow ( less than a foot ) of water in some places and are gorging themselves on the large amount of bait available due to the drop in water. They have been known to spawn down there in the fall, usually Nov, if the water level is above pool or a recent significant rise in water level that time of year. Be patient, it will come soon.
Posted By: Fisherman's supply

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 06:25 PM

Its a crazy post for the most part, and a lot reading are thinking wow what a larry. In his defense though, there are some fish that try to spawn in the fall. Especially at Fork. Few and far between, but if you talk to some guides they even see a few on beds there.
Posted By: BASS COACH

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 06:39 PM

the guys at the athens hatchery tell me they have a small fall spawn.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 06:58 PM

see im not the only one hearing this. scared

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 07:01 PM

No fall spawn period...maybe some confused fish that's all.. fish feed in fall in shallow waters as stated above.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 07:27 PM

Sorry ban-d I have personally caught a fish off a bed paired up in october on Rayburn. It does happen but very very rare and yes I agree must be a very confused fish.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 08:56 PM

I caught a five pounder last November with a belly full of eggs in the Pedernales River. Fried up really nice.
Posted By: Swimbaiter

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JMalin
I caught a five pounder last November with a belly full of eggs in the Pedernales River. Fried up really nice.

banana
Posted By: crankn101

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:15 PM

Ive read when conditions are right they will spawn most of the year.

But in fishable numbers? nah

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:21 PM

I read the title as a LOT of prespawn talk. Most examples given are exceptions. Like I said I would no go around in 90 degree plus water looking for prespawners in Texas right now but to each his own.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I would reevaluate what you have always heard and not plan on looking for bedding fish any time soon.

grin+1

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Fisherman's supply
Its a crazy post for the most part, and a lot reading are thinking wow what a larry. In his defense though, there are some fish that try to spawn in the fall. Especially at Fork. Few and far between, but if you talk to some guides they even see a few on beds there.

Then those are the guides that you shouldn't use..lol

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: JMalin

That is because they start developing eggs in October.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet (quackills05)
Sorry ban-d I have personally caught a fish off a bed paired up in october on Rayburn. It does happen but very very rare and yes I agree must be a very confused fish.

or a bunch of very confused fishermen.. fish bannana2

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BASS COACH
I think I will get bed fishing stuff out and go to lake fork this weekend. See if I can find me some of these infamous fall spawners. I will keep my eyes peeled.eeks
Posted By: SkinnyT

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Fast Lane

A couple of those guides are on here. There was a post about this last fall.
Posted By: Charlie Brown III

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 10:47 PM

depending on water levels bass have been known to spawn in the fall (yes it's true) but it's a very small percentage. the water needs to be above pool in the summer and come down in the fall usually for this to happen. as for a a female and her eggs, she starts reproducing them immediately after she lays them. if anyone has any thoughts or questions about a bass' behavior i highly recommend you to watch some of bob lusk's videos. he's pretty much the man when it comes to knowing bass.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/09/11 11:20 PM

We go through this every year last year a fish biologists was called and he confirmed no fall spawn if you really truly believe that they do call for yourself but I have never seen on a lake or pond for that matter beds like in the spring
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:08 AM

I think I will get bed fishing stuff out and go to lake fork this weekend. See if I can find me some of these infamous fall spawners. I will keep my eyes peeled.eeks

Leave 'em alone when they're on their beds, will ya already!!! stir

banana rolfmao laugh. banana
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:48 AM

Quiet! We don't want everyone to know about the fall Fork beds. And, yes it does happen. Mother nature, you can't control it. Just when you think you have everything figured out, she throws a curveball.
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 03:06 AM

Hummmm, interesting, where u guys fishing, most of mine spawning areas has cows on it
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Yeaitsme
Hummmm, interesting, where u guys fishing, most of mine spawning areas has cows on it

i would laugh but thats a little too true to be funny
Posted By: BigLeslie

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 05:03 AM

Time to put the folding ladder on the front deck. rolleyes
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 12:57 PM

It is a proven fact that bass will spawn all year round maybe not many but they will spawn all yaer round or let me say some will and do.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 12:58 PM

I think that's a good question trickworm.
By and large on north Texas lakes I think it happens but rarely and not enough to make a pattern. I have spent a few days site fishing on fork in the fall looking at the water all day. I had a pleasant time on the water, got told by several people that I was nuts, but saw no larger fish bedding. Take that for what it's worth. I have had guides on fork tell me they caught bed fish in the fall
On a lake like falcon you have a totally different situation I have a hard time really site fishing there at all but the seasonal water temps are much different so that gets more interesting and I theorize you could catch bedding fish over a much more spread out time period. I just need clearer less brushy water to see um!
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Ban-D
We go through this every year last year a fish biologists was called and he confirmed no fall spawn if you really truly believe that they do call for yourself but I have never seen on a lake or pond for that matter beds like in the spring
You may not see them but you dont see every bed in the spring either do you no because alot of big girls wont spawn up that shallow they stay in the 5 to 8 feet range so it is possible and has been known for some to spawn all year round.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:10 PM

Just to clarify It is known fact that a SMALL percentage of bass do spawn in the fall or even other times I just site fish first whenever I can and I have not been able to make it worth my while
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:15 PM

I have seen and watched a fall spawn here at Fork most every year. It usually happens the last week of Oct and the first two weeks of Nov. I can assure you I know what I see and the Biologist are wrong. I have seen the start to the finish and my customers can tell you also cause they have caught them off the beds. Seems like this topic comes up a few times a year. Next time out look at the ramp for bass 1-2 inches long and think when they could have been born.You can see them every month of the year. Also look in the same areas you did in the spring you will see them if the water is clear enough.I see more near the main lake but also in the spring areas. You cannot see them if you do not go looking, and you cant if you spend all your time in the office or a class room. The spawn is triggerd by the length of the day and the temp of the water most of the time and Oct/Nov are just like March/April.Now the fall spawn is not as large as the spring spawn but it does happen. Just my 2 cents worth and I spend 250-280 days a year on the water and a biologist spend's how many ?

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:23 PM

Well . There you have. Nuff said!
Thank you Marc Mitchell !

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78
You may not see them but you dont see every bed in the spring either do you no because alot of big girls wont spawn up that shallow they stay in the 5 to 8 feet range so it is possible and has been known for some to spawn all year round.

I know that the post says a LOT of pre spawn talk not a small percentage of pre spawn talk
Posted By: JackMason

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr JL
Just to clarify It is known fact that a SMALL percentage of bass do spawn in the fall or even other times I just site fish first whenever I can and I have not been able to make it worth my while [/quote[quote=Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell]I have seen and watched a fall spawn here at Fork most every year. It usually happens the last week of Oct and the first two weeks of Nov. I can assure you I know what I see and the Biologist are wrong. I have seen the start to the finish and my customers can tell you also cause they have caught them off the beds. Seems like this topic comes up a few times a year. Next time out look at the ramp for bass 1-2 inches long and think when they could have been born.You can see them every month of the year. Also look in the same areas you did in the spring you will see them if the water is clear enough.I see more near the main lake but also in the spring areas. You cannot see them if you do not go looking, and you cant if you spend all your time in the office or a class room. The spawn is triggerd by the length of the day and the temp of the water most of the time and Oct/Nov are just like March/April.Now the fall spawn is not as large as the spring spawn but it does happen. Just my 2 cents worth and I spend 250-280 days a year on the water and a biologist spend's how many ?

Is it possible that what you are seeing are fingerling that have been stocked by the TPWD? They stock Fork every year.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 01:35 PM

A true voice of reason. Thank you Marc Mitchell. It also happens on Ray Roberts but you usually wont see beds. I believe they use the tree tops.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 02:09 PM

I know that the post says a LOT of pre spawn talk not a small percentage of pre spawn talk

what does the amount of talk have to do with the amount of pre spawn fish? i mean,theres alot of fall spawn on this thread but that doesnt mean theres alot of fall spawn going on. the forum tends to be busier when its stormin outside..theres alot of bass fishing talk without alot of actual bass fishing goin on.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr JL
Well . There you have. Nuff said!

1+
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 05:37 PM

There you have it from someone who is there. I have also seen fall beds and spawning bass but not as much as in spring. A lot of biologists and most academics in general like to talk about what they have been taught in a classroom and have no first hand knowledge. Just because some proffessor says it does not always make it true.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 05:44 PM

if bass could truly factually be figured out 100% of the time,scientists could outfish KVD any day of the week
Posted By: Pantera III

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 06:15 PM

Water temp is important but so is day length. There are no fish in prespawn in texas.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 06:41 PM

They don't spawn in the Fall. That is nonesense.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: SkinnyT

A couple of those guides are on here. There was a post about this last fall.
Like I said, those are the guides that you shouldn't use. Or better yet you can pay $400.00 to one and let them take you on a Fall Bed fishing trip. hammer de

Good Luck bed fishing in the Fall.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 06:50 PM

It is a proven fact that bass will spawn all year round maybe not many but they will spawn all yaer round or let me say some will and do.

Who proved it?
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 06:53 PM

Who proved it?

Mama Bass grin

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Choogie Chunker
There you have it from someone who is there. I have also seen fall beds and spawning bass but not as much as in spring. A lot of biologists and most academics in general like to talk about what they have been taught in a classroom and have no first hand knowledge. Just because some proffessor says it does not always make it true.

Sounds like somebody has been been in the Sun too long and having hallucinations. Yall go ahead and start looking for bed fish this Fall. I think I am going to wait until Spring before I start looking for Beds. Come on now...lol.. Good Luck..

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano
if bass could truly factually be figured out 100% of the time,scientists could outfish KVD any day of the week

Even KVD can't catch spawning bass in the Fall. banana
Posted By: bassbouy

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 07:14 PM

how do you know? are you KVD?
Posted By: Stax®

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 07:24 PM

I think its just male bass questioning their sexuality rolfmao

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 09:04 PM

Well I fish a minimum or 3 times a week and have caught 0 fish with a belly of eggs do they develop them overnight, then build beds and do the whole process in a matter of a week? The water is to hot and next week temps will hit 100 again.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bassbouy
how do you know? are you KVD?

He can't catch them if they "ain't" there

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/10/11 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Stax08
I think its just male bass questioning their sexuality rolfmao

LOL
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/11/11 06:58 PM

Sounds like somebody has been been in the Sun too long and having hallucinations. Yall go ahead and start looking for bed fish this Fall. I think I am going to wait until Spring before I start looking for Beds. Come on now...lol.. Good Luck..

I know what I have seen and am not hallucinating. When you have the number of hours/days/years/decades on the water I have maybe you will have seen it too. Have a nice day.
Posted By: bugsbunny

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/11/11 07:22 PM

Prespawn starts in feb on most lakes. Prespawn on powerplant lakes start in late Nov. Amistad and Falcon start in late Jan. That is all.

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/11/11 11:33 PM

I know what I have seen and am not hallucinating. When you have the number of hours/days/years/decades on the water I have maybe you will have seen it too. Have a nice day.

Yea.... I don't spend much time on the water. What do I know??..lol
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/11/11 11:46 PM

I have caught fish from my bed in December.
Posted By: Boat B Gone

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/12/11 01:28 AM

Crazy..... Just this past weekend at the Hubbard Creek BLT I watched a big femaie in between the back of a dock and the bank in about 4' of water that seemed to bed sitting on a bed, I'd pitch to the bed, she'd swim off stay gone a while and come right back. I even left for about 2 hours and went back and she was still there. No BS.
Posted By: Thinwater skinner

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/12/11 12:21 PM

I was on Falcon last December and the fry were everywhere in the back coves. The November spawning beds were everywhere and had a light silt on the rocks. But that was last year with the high water..
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/13/11 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
I have seen and watched a fall spawn here at Fork most every year. It usually happens the last week of Oct and the first two weeks of Nov. I can assure you I know what I see and the Biologist are wrong. I have seen the start to the finish and my customers can tell you also cause they have caught them off the beds. Seems like this topic comes up a few times a year. Next time out look at the ramp for bass 1-2 inches long and think when they could have been born.You can see them every month of the year. Also look in the same areas you did in the spring you will see them if the water is clear enough.I see more near the main lake but also in the spring areas. You cannot see them if you do not go looking, and you cant if you spend all your time in the office or a class room. The spawn is triggerd by the length of the day and the temp of the water most of the time and Oct/Nov are just like March/April.Now the fall spawn is not as large as the spring spawn but it does happen. Just my 2 cents worth and I spend 250-280 days a year on the water and a biologist spend's how many ?

Couldn't have said it better Marc.
Posted By: rigginrich

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/13/11 02:36 AM

I think this topic needs too go to bed LOL. spring for me
Posted By: skeeterzx202

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/13/11 11:57 AM

pulled a baby bass out of the mouth of a 2 lber this past weekend- never thought about it till this post but I see tiny 1 inch bass all year too- where do they come from if bass only spawn one time a year- intersesting!!!!!
Posted By: CapN Ron

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/13/11 12:31 PM

Bass do spawn in the fall on Fork, I had a customer catch both male and female last year off a bed. Fact is the fry do not survive 99% of the time. Marc Mitchell is one of the best bed fishermen on Fork, if he says they spawn that would be good enough for me. Now, is it something I would suggest goof out and looking for....no. However, I have stumbled up on it a time or two. Also, while at the Fisheries center in Athens in August with Bass Camp this question came up during Q&A with the on site biologist and she said yes, they do spawn, the temperature sends their body into the spawn....not all, in fact, not many but it does happen
Posted By: Manchu

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/13/11 11:43 PM

they horny lil devils
Posted By: sunburnt34

Re: there's alot of pre spawn talk - 09/15/11 12:59 AM

Heck,... if we dont get rain all the bass will have to be in the shallows!.........Rain Baby Rain!!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum