Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Fork Stump Alert !!

Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 12:55 PM

I have been here all my life so I just about know where every stump is but Sunday I seen one that I either have not seen in a while or rememeber from years past. It is located between Ford/Grimes just out front in the main lake. Now the old resident stump is still visable and it is just to the south of it. Nice size stump that could do some damage. I had nothing to mark it or I would have. I hope someone gets it marked soon before someone gets hurt. Next time I am out I will take something and mark it. So keep a eye out if you are running from the clay pit towards Ray or Dale down the south side of the lake.Good Luck Fishing and Be Safe !
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 12:58 PM

Coordinates?

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 01:04 PM

I was on pad when I seen it so do not have cordinates. I have the right location/area so have caution if in that area. If you split the difference between the outer tree line in front of Grimes that is visable and the resident stump in the middle of the main lake which has been there forever you will see if. The wind blowing will cover it just enough you might not get a good look at it unless you are real close to it like I was.
Posted By: Paparon

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 01:10 PM

Fork scares the hide off the bottom of my boat and makes my prop shaft bend with fear!!!
Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 02:02 PM

thanks for the info and if you mark it double thanks
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 02:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up Marc.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 03:09 PM

If anyone marks it, pass along the COOs. Thanks.
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 03:58 PM

Drop a Brush Hog down beside it before u mark it...never know..
Posted By: Ranger Rick

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 04:14 PM

Wow someone actually thinking of others saftey enuff to to take action on their behalf. Thank you Mr. Mitchell. thumb
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 04:26 PM

Thanks, Marc. We've made this a sticky until someone posts coordinates and everyone has a chance to see it. As many folks as there are that fish Fork, this could save someone's boat, or life.
Posted By: BAMABASS

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 06:11 PM

You da man Marc.. Haven't seen pictures of that new boat yet.

FACE DOWN IN CABO
Posted By: B_Thomas

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 06:23 PM

Thank you Marc. I have only been on the lake twice. I have no idea where this is. Where is Ford/Grimes, Clay Pit, and Ray or Dale?
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 07:52 PM

Thanks Marc, would hate to hear someone hit one WOT thinking it was safe water. Friend of mine hit one on Toledo in a boatlane we all thought was safe going back out right after weighin. Tore his motor off and it landed on the back deck crushing the back seat and pole. Luckily his brother who had been his partner in the tx had to leave and go home and wasn't with him. He'd ridden in that seat all day.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 09:50 PM

Thanks Marc.. stick a pc. of PVC down next to it if you get the chance.. That area can be very dangerous--many areas are right now...
Posted By: Old Man Skeeter

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/28/11 10:30 PM

Thanks Marc. If you need a good guide, give Marc a call.
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 02:25 AM

good info
Posted By: Alton K

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 02:28 AM

The hell you say!!!! Stumps on Fork?

-Alton
Posted By: Clay Shipe

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 03:07 AM

I was out there not too long ago fishin with buddies in seperate boats, it was night time and they called me while we where all on the lake and said " we are gonna head to Ray Branch ". I said not a good idea if you dont know exactly where your goin. Well I heard their motor after the call, and they got up on pad. Then the motor stopped. I called them thinking something went wrong. They said when they where on pad they passed a few trees that were about 3 feet from the boat and obviously shut her down. Fork is dangerous and will eat you alive if your not carefull. Thanks for the advice!! And be safe!!
Posted By: dble dee

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 05:05 AM

Going into Ray Branch from Little Caney there is a stump at (N32*48.897 W095*34.378). I had to swerve hard to avoid it so I turned around and got the coordinates. Didn't have anything to mark it with so all I can do is post these. Might be the same one. Its not far west from the resident stump.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 07:10 AM

If any of y'all remember that wet stuff that falls out of the sky about three times a year, the whole state could use some so say a prayer when you get a chance,
Posted By: conniek

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 12:25 PM

marc, not sure where you talking about, but it isn't in the boat lane is it? I hope not.I don't even know where Ford or Grimes located that you referring to. do know dale tho. thanks for the heads up. Hopefully folks will take a look at what is under the water now and remember when they try to run when water is up again. ha If that ever happens.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: dble dee
Going into Ray Branch from Little Caney there is a stump at (N32*48.897 W095*34.378). I had to swerve hard to avoid it so I turned around and got the coordinates. Didn't have anything to mark it with so all I can do is post these. Might be the same one. Its not far west from the resident stump.

Thanks for getting some coordinates.. hopefully someone can confirm that's the one. cheers

From the dam heading Northwest it's:
Chaney, then the two smaller coves up from Chaney are Ford's Cove and then Grimes Cove.. then above that is Ray Branch, Leafy Branch, and then Dale Creek.

I hope that helps.

Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 05:22 PM

I guess you guys know about the stump with the motor skeg stuck in it that is in the creek across the lake from Lake Fork Marina.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 05:34 PM

Ouch!

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 06:03 PM

Choogie, you might want to check on the quote in your signature line. It was made by Captain Call, not Gus I believe. "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it" was the quote spoken by Call after he beat an Army Scout half to death for hitting Newt. He climbed aboard his horse and spoke those words to all the horrified town folk standing around with their mouths open.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 08:50 PM

There should be a permanent thread for Fork hazards. Here are coordinates for 4 stumps submerged just below the water line between Lake Fork Marina and the main boat lane. Jason Hoffman posted them several months ago.

N32*52.467 W095*37.090
N32*52.448 W095*37.010
N32*52.406 W095*36.908
N32*52.505 W095*36.788
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 09:22 PM

got me a gps/map , have marked stumps with a skull , and crossbones.
been on Fork full time since 96, now cannot see the lake on my screen , all I see is skulls..what now ????
I am out of icons

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/29/11 11:38 PM

I will mark it tomorrow. Plan on being up that way so I will tie something to it. I have a big jug I will put in my boat tonight. Thanks & Be Safe.
Posted By: TX Rig

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 12:37 AM

Could this stump be the widow maker N 32 48.895" W 095 34.000" pay her a visit.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 01:51 AM

Thanks again, Mr. Mitchell. Looking forward to exact coordinates thumb
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 03:29 AM

thanks Marc, I run that stretch of the lake quite a bit...

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Choogie, you might want to check on the quote in your signature line. It was made by Captain Call, not Gus I believe. "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it" was the quote spoken by Call after he beat an Army Scout half to death for hitting Newt. He climbed aboard his horse and spoke those words to all the horrified town folk standing around with their mouths open.

Maybe I remember it wrong. Got it on DVD. Have to watch that part again. Thanks.

You, sir, are correct. Guess it had been so long I got the 2 scenes mixed up. Still think the world would be a better place if there were more men like the characters Gus and Woodrow.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 01:09 PM

No question, whatsoever. Greatest movie ever made!
Posted By: Mike West

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 05:40 PM

ThnX for heads up!
Posted By: FootAndAHalf

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
No question, whatsoever. Greatest movie ever made!

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 09:42 PM

Hey guys I marked 2 of them today with bottles but man there are about 5 or 6 more I could not get to. I did GPS 5 stumps and after I EAT I will pull up the coordinates here later. I think after what I seen today I will run north by the bouys/boat lane,or north of the resident stump in the mainlake.Scary stuff out there. Marked one just under the water about 2-3 inches that would take out a prop or a lower unit.It was in about 50 ft of water. Be Safe.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 10:39 PM

Marc, thanks again for your good will! I'm sure the waypoints are going to save some folks a buncha $$$, at the very least. May hat's off to you, sir.
cowboy smile cowboy
Posted By: Patta-whack

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 06/30/11 11:08 PM

Awesome job Marc. I will be marking the waypoints ASAP!

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/01/11 12:59 AM

Ok here are 5 of them on the main lake between Ford-Grimes/Ray These are south of the resident stump located in the main lake area south of the mouth of Little Caney.

N32-48.832
W095-34.083

N32-49.026
w095-34.015

N32-48.873
W095-34.079

N32-48.791
W095-34.089

N32-48.815
W095-34.048

Ok that is all I have now but maybe a few more tomorrow or the next few days. Be Safe !!! I want wish everyone a Happy 4 th ! Thanks to all our Service Men/Women for all they do so we can have fun here !Great Job & God Bless !!

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/01/11 02:58 AM

Well done, Marc...seems like it'll only get worse up there before it gets better..u fellas be safe, I'm coming soon for some of that deep water mark 'em/smash 'em action..
Posted By: _skeeter holder_

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/01/11 06:45 PM

there are stumps on fork? didnt know that
Posted By: Outdoor Therapy

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/02/11 01:33 AM

Is the resident stump that y'all are referring to the one out in the middle by itself just south of ray branch, marked?
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/02/11 04:56 AM

Thank you very much Marc....I will be leaving in 4 hours to fish.

I will be marking these as I leave the ramp.

Really appreciate your help...I have a little problem with hitting stumps!! scared

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/02/11 12:10 PM

Yes that is the resident stump. Seems like even when the lake is full it shows itself just about the same it is now. If any of you are cutting across to the south from Little Caney or running down that south side be very careful lots of them are just under the surface. If it scares a veteran of Lake Fork it should scare you to. Be Safe and have a Happy 4 th.
Posted By: o9rady

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/02/11 01:00 PM

Are these stumps in the boat lane? Are there stumps in the boat lane???

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/02/11 07:45 PM

No

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/02/11 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TX Rig
Could this stump be the widow maker N 32 48.895" W 095 34.000" pay her a visit.

That's the one I have.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/04/11 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
Yes that is the resident stump. Seems like even when the lake is full it shows itself just about the same it is now. If any of you are cutting across to the south from Little Caney or running down that south side be very careful lots of them are just under the surface. If it scares a veteran of Lake Fork it should scare you to. Be Safe and have a Happy 4 th.

I read this Friday....and then went to Grimes!!! Wowzer....seriously, do not head back to the boat lane from Grimes and head any kind of north...its a mine field!
Posted By: Raymond White

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/04/11 09:58 PM

With the lake being this low. If you have Vicks boat lanes on the locator.Are there any hazzards,to be on the look for? Thanks
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/04/11 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Raymond White
With the lake being this low. If you have Vicks boat lanes on the locator.Are there any hazzards,to be on the look for? Thanks

Yes! The main boat lanes indicated by the boatlanes chip SHOULD be good. But the secondary lanes may not be now. The boatlanes waypoints are very good, and I've never hit anything running them at full pool or a little low. But I'm not sure they're going to be a safe route at this water level. Best bet, if you're not sure - idle.
Posted By: Mxbubs

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/05/11 07:44 AM

I tied my orange buoy marker to the one stump in little mustang, rt by mustang
Landing. The stump is about 20' from a lane buoy.
Posted By: brokenjeep

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/05/11 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Mxbubs
I tied my orange buoy marker to the one stump in little mustang, rt by mustang
Landing. The stump is about 20' from a lane buoy.

I did not see that stump last weekend and now it is 10" out of the water.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/05/11 12:36 PM

New stumps popping up daily. Be careful no matter where you run. I hit one a few years ago when it was low right in front of Taylor branch about 15 ft from the bouy. I have not seen that one yet but it has to be just under the surface.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/05/11 04:07 PM

Are Lance Vick's boat lanes more accurate than the buoys in the main lake? In some cases his lines are pretty far outside of where the buoys are. Just wondering if we should be hugging his lines tight or following the buoys?
Posted By: 2percenter

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/05/11 04:18 PM

I've been wanting to know this for a while, too. noidea

Hug the buoys or LV's boat lanes???
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/05/11 05:27 PM

With the lake Fork this low boat insurance is going to come more in to play that common sense and accuracy of chips, buoys and GPS. Life jackets and kill switches should be worn while on plane at all times. taz
Posted By: Mxbubs

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/07/11 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: 96speed
Are Lance Vick's boat lanes more accurate than the buoys in the main lake? In some cases his lines are pretty far outside of where the buoys are. Just wondering if we should be hugging his lines tight or following the buoys?

I normally split the difference...I dont know if this is a good thing or bad thing..
Posted By: Mike West

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/07/11 05:47 PM

None of the tools are gonna be safe with the lake as low as it is. ive found several (new) stumps, in my trails, that wasn't there before. Best bet if you arent sure idle it!
Posted By: 2percenter

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/08/11 02:54 AM

I guess I don't know the history of these boat lanes that are marked with bouys.

Were these lanes clear cut before the lake was filled? Does SRA ever monitor the purported movement of said buoys?

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/08/11 03:21 AM

Watch out for the stumps in the mouth of the boat lane at Chaney point. There is a hand full on the way in rite before you get to the tree marked with the five gallon paint bucket lid.
Posted By: Kicked Duck

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/08/11 11:17 AM

Yea Tx Rig,The one I passed yesterday had some perty good battle scars on it.
Posted By: docfishes

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/08/11 04:10 PM

Fork is not near as bad as it was just a few years back ,with the water level low as it is I am sure a lot of stumps are showing up add the high winds we have had and a lot have floated and gotten hung in new areas.
I fished it for a few years and one place I knew was clean,one sat morning ran to it and just barely above the surface was a stump. I tied onto it to pull it out of the way and it would not budge,it was hung or stuck somehow. It had floated from somewhere else. It is now gone again
Posted By: t1h2

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/11/11 02:41 PM

Heading from the main boat lane to Lke Fork Marina using boat lane chip there is a stump(barely under water) almost directly in the boat lane. The stump is juat north of the stump that Marc or someone marked with a piece of PVC pipe. Yesterday morning at daylight I was idling from main boat lane towards Lake Fork Marina using boatlane chip and rolled over the stump. Will post exact coordinates shortly.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/13/11 12:48 PM

Hey guys I know it is getting crazy out there with all the stumps so be careful. My customer and I watched a guy run through the mine field yesterday that I had posted on the stumps locations and there is about 4 more new ones. I do not know how he did not hit one with some many being just under the surface. Living right I guess ! Anyhow I did see a new stump yesterday on the East side going up running creek boat lane just out in front of Pincher cove just in the boat run so be careful there as well.These boat run are not cut very wide so hug the bouys.
Posted By: Mark in Frisco

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/16/11 12:30 PM

Marc,
Thanks for the heads-up!
Yesterday I saw a guy haulin the mail down a secondary boat lane that runs from the Lake Fork Marina area back to Williams and Mustang (stick-ups all around) - I say "secondary" because it is one of boat lanes that is not buoy marked.
Everybody all looked at him the same - "I sure hope he knows where he is going?"
Posted By: MATT REGAN

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/17/11 12:40 AM

I hit stumps when the water is high and i hit stumps when the water is low. If you fish lake fork you will hit lumber! I did find the stump that t1h2 is talking about just north of the marked hump but could not find it when i turned around to look for it. I was actually about 75 yards north of the pvc marker. The good thing was no damage this time, steve has allready fixed my prop 3 times this year. Just make sure your insurance is payed up and enjoy the fishing it has been great. I will try and mark that stump next time and post it up.
Posted By: Chad711

Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 04:06 AM

This is coming out of chaney point. It's sitting about 5 inches below the water right now. Nice little insurance claim waiting to happen.

N 32°48.050'
W 095°33.020'
Posted By: Chad711

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 02:44 PM

bump for the stump! wink

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 03:09 PM

Thanks! I'll be in that area next Sat night...
Posted By: Allen Ehlers

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 03:11 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Skeeterag99

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 03:13 PM

There is also one right in the boat lane going into running creek, I quit running that spot eek2
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Chad711
This is coming out of chaney point. It's sitting about 5 inches below the water right now. Nice little insurance claim waiting to happen.

N 32°48.050'
W 095°33.020'

Check your waypoint. I plugged those numbers into my Navionics PC app and it put me south of the dam.
Thanks

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: bsouth401

N 32°48.050'
W 095°33.020'

Check your waypoint. I plugged those numbers into my Navionics PC app and it put me south of the dam.
Thanks

Correction, I typed it in wrong. Sorry

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: DrenAg99
There is also one right in the boat lane going into running creek, I quit running that spot eek2

That's the second time I've heard that one.. I was up there the other day. Any more info on approx where that is?

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 04:45 PM

... I plugged those numbers into my Navionics PC app and it put me south of the dam. ....

it's dangerous to run there too grin
Posted By: Jeff@Navionics

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 04:48 PM

Hey all,

A suggestion.

It is VERY easy to share these hazardous locations with the Navionics Mobile application on the iPhone. Just touch the screen at the position of the stump and select "add object". I would use the "bottom obstruction" choice from the "Rock Wreck Obstruction" category. In the "name" field, enter "stump".

This information is instantly shared with EVERY other mobile user (it shows on their map within minutes). There is no easier way to share this data in real time on an accurate chart!

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 04:53 PM

N 32°48.050'
W 095°33.020'

Thanks

Correction, I typed it in wrong. Sorry

This one is already showing in the application. You guys are Waaaaay ahead of me!

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 05:03 PM

It was actually added today at 11:30 am-TODAY!

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff@Navionics

Jeff I added that from my PC app. That's pretty cool.

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff@Navionics

Jeff I added that from my PC app. That's pretty cool.

Yah! It sure is! Youir stump is now marked on every users map
Posted By: MTN

Re: Fork stump! Mark it! - 07/21/11 09:47 PM

I saw the one heading to Running Creek last weekend. I believe the location is
32° 55.677N
95° 30.764W

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 07/31/11 02:56 AM

The lake is officially 5' low as of this weekend. There will be more stumps popping up than ever before. You all know how dangerous this lake can be when it’s full. Anyone one who’s new to the lake should read this post before heading out on the water. Be careful out there, make sure your insurance is current, and wear your life jacket.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/01/11 03:42 PM

Lance Vick just texted this one to me. Not sure on location but I think it's in the west side guide run. I'll post up where it is when he text's me back, but here are the coordinates.

N 32 deg. 51.171'
W 095 deg. 36.794'

Ok guys, just got more info from Lance. This stump is in the MIDDLE of the west side guide run where it necks down just before Big Mustang, headed south from Lake Fork Marina. That's always been the hairiest run for me on Fork in rough water, and it just got a lot more dangerous. The stump is one foot below the surface and medium sized. Plenty big enough to do some serious damage. Plus there's no room for error in that little chute, anyway. Be careful out there.

Thanks Lance! You just saved someone a lot of heartache!
Posted By: Hefishes2

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/02/11 07:46 PM

Hey Jeff is there any way of updating the HD map for Lake Fork on the PC program?

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/03/11 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Hefishes2
Hey Jeff is there any way of updating the HD map for Lake Fork on the PC program?

There will be shortly. I'm trying to pin down when the PC and Mobile apps will get the data and how it will be delivered.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/08/11 11:18 PM

There is a visible stump on the right edge of the boat lane going into Williams just past the second buoy but what you can't see just under the surface before you get to it are large stumps they are between the visible one and the buoy. These are about twenty feet from a line between the buoys and large enough to knock your motor off, I was going slow and hit them and got stuck on top.
You need to run on the left side of the buoy.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/09/11 12:46 AM

I'll be there Weds brokenjeep and will post coordinates of those. Unless you happen to have them?
Posted By: Guide Richie White

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/09/11 03:04 AM

brokenjeep, can you explain the "second buoy"? Second buoy from what? From the split (Williams/Little Mustang)?
I assume you are talking about the north edge because you said "going into" Williams.
I hit a stump in that area a couple of months ago, but never saw it.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/09/11 04:36 PM

Sorry about that, I mean the second Buoy from the intersection or split going in to Williams just out from the point of the island.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/10/11 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: brokenjeep
Sorry about that, I mean the second Buoy from the intersection or split going in to Williams just out from the point of the island.

Is it still an island? Once you hit the main lake and head north there is a scary stump field just to the east. Get off the buoys a little and you are toast. I remember running the area in the 80s before the buoys went up and always hated it.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/12/11 01:40 AM

Here's the coords on the williams boat lane stump:
32 50' 33.1"
95 36' 44.9"

there's another visible stump in the lake fork marina cut that's in the area of those Jason Hoffman posted. coords are
32 52' 23.8"
95 37' 00.7"

the boatlane crossing Dale Hump is nearly on dry land. discovered that little detail at 0300 this morning frown

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/12/11 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Blu-Ranger
Here's the coords on the williams boat lane stump:
32 50' 33.1"
95 36' 44.9"

there's another visible stump in the lake fork marina cut that's in the area of those Jason Hoffman posted. coords are
32 52' 23.8"
95 37' 00.7"

the boatlane crossing Dale Hump is nearly on dry land. discovered that little detail at 0300 this morning frown

cheers

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/13/11 03:14 AM

I thought about making a new thread, but I figured id add here. There is a small stump INSIDE THE MARKED SRA BOAT LANE now. I market a way-point but I don't have coordinates from the unit yet. It's exactly in the middle of the MARKED BUOY BOAT LANE. its between the 4th and 5th boys heading North from the 154 east bridge...just north of Minnow Bucket marina. Please be careful. This stump has to have hurt a few boats and they dont even know it yet.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/13/11 01:36 PM

Don't hit it.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/14/11 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Don't hit it.

it helps to know where it is! "inside the marked boat lane" covers quite a bit of area...
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/14/11 03:12 PM

"between the 4th and 5th buoys heading North from the 154 east bridge". Just count one-buoy, two-buoy, three-buoy, four-bouy, pucker-up, five-buoy.

And seriously, I think there is a SRA buoy missing there. How I don't know, but I remember more of a slow curve for the lane there. And there must be 2-3 hundred yards between these two buoys now. Will call SRA Monday.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/15/11 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Don't hit it.

Not sure if you're just trying to be a smart [censored] troll, but I'm trying to make a helpful contribution to this thread to people can avoid headache and spend more time fishing.

Little Gazoo: If you played connect the dots with the buoys you'd run right over it. It looked equidistant between the buoys. Its sticking up about 2" out of the water now, and its about 2-3" in diameter, so its a tiny little bastard.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/15/11 10:33 AM

I went by a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I said was OH SHI# there is a bouy missing.
Posted By: GoFishNow

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/15/11 05:24 PM

Is there a standard color for buoys that mark stumps? Any good suggestions on how us fisherman can mark them ourselves?
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/15/11 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: GoFishNow
Is there a standard color for buoys that mark stumps? Any good suggestions on how us fisherman can mark them ourselves?

please, please do not mark stumps with re-bar, or anything metal..

If you must mark them ,tie a plastic bottle/jug to it with braided fishin line .
as the lake comes up they will go away , however the rebar will remain...
idle over a stump , no problem , idle over rebar .......OUCH
Posted By: rofd-ff-engineer

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/15/11 09:46 PM

I wandered just how many stumps out on Fork are marked with re-bar. I've heard stories of them but have never seen one myself. Might be a good idea if there are any marked like that to make them known also with GPS coordinates.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/16/11 01:34 AM

SRA told me that they earlier moved a bouy in that area to maintain a clean boat lane. SRA is going to investigate the bouys in this area.
Posted By: RayburnJunkie

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/16/11 03:31 PM

There are plenty of them. Do not do this!!!!!!! I will have to spend a couple of grand to fix my boat from one this spring. Use pvc. It shows up better and will not scratch the hell out of your boat. eEvery time is see a piece of re-bar sticking out of a stump, i just want to find the guy and slap the [censored] out of him for doing it.
Originally Posted By: rofd-ff-engineer
I wandered just how many stumps out on Fork are marked with re-bar. I've heard stories of them but have never seen one myself. Might be a good idea if there are any marked like that to make them known also with GPS coordinates.

Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/16/11 10:08 PM

There's a large stump on the right, just off the main boat lane going into Dale Creek that has a piece of rebar sticking out of it.
Posted By: 522Ranger

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/17/11 01:22 AM

I just recently downloaded the navionics app on my iphone and saw the comments and pictures on the previous page. I don't really understand how yall say if someone enters in coordinates that it shows on every other persons map. So these stumps should be showing on mine or do I still have to enter the coordinates in to mark them. Could someone please explain a little more in depth about this sorry I'm just not real sure how to use the app I just got it. Thanks

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/17/11 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 96speed
I thought about making a new thread, but I figured id add here. There is a small stump INSIDE THE MARKED SRA BOAT LANE now. I market a way-point but I don't have coordinates from the unit yet. It's exactly in the middle of the MARKED BUOY BOAT LANE. its between the 4th and 5th boys heading North from the 154 east bridge...just north of Minnow Bucket marina. Please be careful. This stump has to have hurt a few boats and they dont even know it yet.

The GPS coordinates are N32 51.677 W095 31.229.

Talked to SRA about this one earlier and they "might" have relocated one of the bouys as it now seems about 15-20yds west of the boatlane. Sorry that I could not mark it, it is visible.
Bad news is the 4th/5th bouys here are about 250 yards apart, so be careful and not error to the west.

Be real bad there at night!

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/18/11 12:55 PM

Thanks!

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/18/11 11:54 PM

SRA was on Fork today working on buoys.

They added an extra buoy between the 4th and 5th buoys running north from 154 bridge. Actually think they replaced a missing buoy. The boat lane rounds the curve now and that stump at N 32 51.677 W095 31.299 is not close now.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/19/11 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: JiggyTime
There's a large stump on the right, just off the main boat lane going into Dale Creek that has a piece of rebar sticking out of it.

Genius! ... loco
Posted By: crappie-mark

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/19/11 07:51 PM

seems like the GW's should be out marking stumps.

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/19/11 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleGazoo
SRA was on Fork today working on buoys.
They added an extra buoy between the 4th and 5th buoys running north from 154 bridge. Actually think they replaced a missing buoy. The boat lane rounds the curve now and that stump at N 32 51.677 W095 31.299 is not close now.

Way cool since we'll be going right by there tomorrow!
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/20/11 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: crappie-mark

Really?
Posted By: crappie-mark

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/22/11 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Originally Posted By: crappie-mark

Really?

just the one's in the boat lanes, not the whole dang lake.
Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/22/11 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: YellowMagic

Genius! ... loco

Someone posted above that they had never seen a stump out there with rebar stuck in it.
Posted By: Russ Narramore

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/23/11 02:15 AM

Bumped a stump with my motor today, right in the main west fork boat lane, just N of the junction with the cross-over lane leading to Little Mustang. The water is 37 ft. deep here, so it must be a big tree. I was on plane and didn't get the exact coordinates, so I won't post them. Fortunately, I did not do any damage to my prop or motor. Be careful out there!
Posted By: rofd-ff-engineer

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/24/11 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: YellowMagic

Genius! ... loco

Someone posted above that they had never seen a stump out there with rebar stuck in it.

I've been lucky enough not to, I'm just thinking if folks know here these are, might be good to add to the list.
Posted By: coffeecreek

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/25/11 11:34 PM

While on the Stump Alert. How about the Boat Ramp Alert. Do you know how many are closed now?

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 08/29/11 04:24 PM

Watch out running out of Little Mustang since there is one stump about ten feet from a bouy and another bouy has two stumps one small and one big that are really close, these are the third and fourth bouys from Mustang resort ramp. All of them have bottles on them.
Posted By: papamark

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 10/21/11 05:22 PM

Hey Evan, you loadin all this down for us ???

Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Lake Fork Stump Alert !! - 10/21/11 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ Narramore
Bumped a stump with my motor today, right in the main west fork boat lane, just N of the junction with the cross-over lane leading to Little Mustang. The water is 37 ft. deep here, so it must be a big tree. I was on plane and didn't get the exact coordinates, so I won't post them. Fortunately, I did not do any damage to my prop or motor. Be careful out there!

I fished Fork before it filled. A good number of the trees were still green and a lot had leaves. Right where the main boat lane does the double bend north of the Mustang was real tight. It was the hardest area to get through cleanly back then. There is a huge stump field still just to the east not far off the lane.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum