Texas Fishing Forum

Fluorocarbon Line vs. Fluorcarbon Leader Material

Posted By: nb_one

Fluorocarbon Line vs. Fluorcarbon Leader Material - 05/08/11 10:12 PM

Anybody know if there is really any difference between fluorocarbon line and the leader material? Besides the price.

I have been using the Pline fluorocarbon leader whenever I wanted to add to braided line but thought cutting off 5 ft of 15# Seaguar INVIZX seems it would be just as good.

What say y'all?
Posted By: wpedigo

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/08/11 10:52 PM

The salesman at Bass Pro told me there is a difference in the way they are made. I've been using the 25 lb. P line fluorocarbon for a leader on braided line for several years when flounder fishing. I catch a lot of flounder and I lose a lot of jigs. At the difference in price, I just can't justify it.

IMHO, too much chit is manufactured and marketed these days with more intent to separate a fisherman from his money than to truly catch more fish. You can quote me on that.

Tight lines my friend.
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/08/11 11:22 PM

i didn't know p-line made a 25# flouro? Where do you get yours?

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/09/11 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Chad Miller
i didn't know p-line made a 25# flouro? Where do you get yours?

I picked up some 25# at BPS in San Antonio but normally use the 15 and 20.

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/09/11 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: wpedigo
The salesman at Bass Pro told me there is a difference in the way they are made. I've been using the 25 lb. P line fluorocarbon for a leader on braided line for several years when flounder fishing. I catch a lot of flounder and I lose a lot of jigs. At the difference in price, I just can't justify it.

IMHO, too much chit is manufactured and marketed these days with more intent to separate a fisherman from his money than to truly catch more fish. You can quote me on that.

Tight lines my friend.

You got that right! If there is truely a reason to use the "leader" material, I will but if it's just a marketing thing, I want to know that too!
Posted By: Fork Fanatic

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/09/11 02:29 AM

Leader material is much stronger than regular Flouro.
Posted By: wpedigo

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/11/11 11:23 AM

Quote:
Fwd: FW

I picked it up at BP in Katy.
Posted By: jsix321

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/11/11 12:15 PM

Don't know if there's truth in it or not, but I was told there is a difference also. The leader material can take more shock with less length while regular floro is made to take the shock at a greater distance. Again, take it for what it's worth.
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/11/11 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: jsix321
Don't know if there's truth in it or not, but I was told there is a difference also. The leader material can take more shock with less length while regular floro is made to take the shock at a greater distance. Again, take it for what it's worth.

Are you saying that the leader material has more stretch to it compared to regular FC?

Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Fluorocarbon Line vs. Leader Material - 05/11/11 07:57 PM

the leader material is a stronger than regualar fluorocarbon.

I have been using braid on 75% of my reels with a fluorocarbon leader. Fished Amistad 1.5 days with the lead in trees and other stuff and never retied. Yes I caught plenty of fish 18+ and 19+ both days.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum