Texas Fishing Forum

Red Hooks vs Regular

Posted By: DDRANGER

Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 06:09 AM

Do the fish notice a difference in the different colored hooks? I imagine that they do but does it make a big difference? Any preferences?
Posted By: 210amatuerangler

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 06:09 AM

I get less bites with red hooks than with standard. Marketting hype IMO.
Posted By: Deputy AnglerŪ

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 06:22 AM

tryed using red hooks for a couple years... several years ago..

i believe i had Gammies? dont know for sure... but, the red paint would chip off after a while and I never noticed any improvements in the number of fish caught.

i would imagine the fish could care less, in my opinion the bright red color might just draw more attention to the hook than it would otherwise get?

who knows... not gonna hurt anything to try, you may love em.... just not for me.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 11:19 AM

No I dont think they do I dont even use them anymore like said before the paint falls off them anyways and I think I catch more on just a regular hook.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 11:47 AM

I believe in red hooks on the front of shallow cranks but not deep. I am convince they bite better and I notice more hookups with the front hook verses the fish just having the rear hook in its mouth. I know it won some tourneys for me. One time the guy in my boat and I were using the same bait but I was killing them and won. Only difference was red hook. Say what you want but works for me and some think it is a hype and I hope they keep thinking that. The red does not last long but I use that as a reason to put a new sharp hook on. Red disappears down deep but again works for me on shallow baits. Can't wait for them to make the KVD treble in red. That hook is sick!
Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 11:57 AM

+ 1 thumb
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 12:10 PM

I'm kinda meh...fish attack the head of baits (when possible) with or without red hooks...
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 12:26 PM

I never thought the red ones were as sharp an the non red ones.
Posted By: John A.

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 12:52 PM

Im also a believer of red hooks in the front of shallow cranks and traps. There are two ways to look at the red hook idea. It is said that red disappears below water. As the bait gets deeper, there is less and less red light waves make the red to appear grey. In shallow water, the hook will appear red, making it look like a injured fish possibly. In deeper water, it will appear grey (not invisible like some people think), which should result in no addition bites but at the same time, no less bites than a traditional hook.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 02:03 PM

Less fish with red hooks.

So which one is it, use red line because fish can't see or use red hooks because they see it as bleeding?
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 02:11 PM

Im not a fan of red hooks and never use them. I have fished side by side with people before throwing red hooks, and regular hooks catch way more fish. Dont know why, but they do.
Posted By: John A.

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: tejasbass
Less fish with red hooks.

So which one is it, use red line because fish can't see or use red hooks because they see it as bleeding?

Red line is not invisible. No matter how deep. If everyone wants to see, scuba dive down with something red. It will appear red for the first few feet but at a certain point it will start fading to grey. The depth depends on water clarity, etc.

Lots of guys beleive in red throats on crankbaits, assuming that the red rays in the light spectrum are still penetrating to the depth you are fishing, there is no reason not to use a red hook if you think it will enhance your fishing.
Posted By: Deputy AnglerŪ

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 03:31 PM

i was thinking of single hooks ...

as far as treble hooks on crank bait, i dont know that it makes much difference, maybe?? i have several cranks with NIB red hooks on them that work just fine.. just dont know if theres an improvement or not?
Posted By: HitmanFO

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 04:45 PM

I fish them, but usually only with watermelon red baits; I figure it can't hurt to add a little more red to the mix. Haven't really noticed a difference in hook-up ratio.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 04:48 PM

as other's have stated, I love red hooks on traps and shallow cranks. I catch more fish under the same conditions with a white trap and red hooks than I do fishing a white trap with gray/black ones.
Posted By: dakicka

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 04:53 PM

I'm not sure if it truly helps me catch more fish or not but when I flip creature baits with a big 4/0 Superline EWG RED HOOK I seem to get a lot more bites on the fall (first 1-3 feet of water) in shallow water in the less than 6 foot depth.
Posted By: Ambrot

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 05:04 PM

I may use a red hook if it blends in better with a bait to kinda hide the hook, but other than that I usually just buy normal. But it is said by lots of people, that it is good to have red in a bait somewhere, so I don't know!
Posted By: cnc_xt

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 05:57 PM

fish with sharp hooks, the color isnt a big issue in my opinion
Posted By: Canino

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 06:07 PM

I think the issue with red hooks is that just like any other tweak, sometimes it turns fish on, sometimes it's neutral, and sometimes it turns fish off.

I saw a show or something where the guy had a hardbait he was fishing, and he put a red hook on the front. Caught a fish on the front hook. Switched the red hook to the back and put the regular hook on front. Caught a fish on the back hook. So that day at that location the red hooks seemed to be the ticket. Another day or another place it might be just the opposite.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Red Hooks vs Regular - 05/04/11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 210amatuerangler
I get less bites with red hooks than with standard. Marketting hype IMO.

That's weird because in my experience I get bit WAY more on red than regular. I also usually outfish my buddies that use regular vs. my red and even though we use similar baits I catch more fish. So i dunno but Im just gonna keep sticking with whats been working for me!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum