Texas Fishing Forum

Stratos & ProCraft

Posted By: PKirby

Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 07:42 AM

Alright guys, since I've been looking for a boat, I've tried to find a Ranger, Bass Cat, Skeeter, and Champion. Being that I have not found exactly what I'm looking for I'm going to expand the search.

What are your opinions on the Stratos & ProCraft. I have fished out of a 2000 Procraft and I thought it was fine. But, I saw a posts here recently bashing the ProCraft, I think the feller called it ProCrap, lol.

I would also consider Triton. If i were to purchase one of these boats, I'd like to find a 2003 or newer.

Any thoughts would be great.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 08:08 AM

I dont have any personal knowledge on either, but check out bass boat central. Lots of reviews by guys who own or use them.
Posted By: Texguy02

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 11:18 AM

Stratos is the only boat I will drive. You will get a million and one answers out there. I think there a lot of good boats out there but i just found Stratos to be the one i like the best. Great price and a great boat.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 12:19 PM

I have only owned 2 boats in the last 20+ years and they have both been ProCraft's. Good riding, well made boats. Just sorry that Tracker stopped production.
Posted By: Bowhunterman

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: texasbass1
I have only owned 2 boats in the last 20+ years and they have both been ProCraft's. Good riding, well made boats. Just sorry that Tracker stopped production.

+1
Posted By: Sapper21c

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 01:02 PM

No problems with my stratos, especially for the price.
Posted By: texasoldtimer

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 01:15 PM

Still own my 2000 procraft. Great boat. Never been in the shop. Knock on wood.
Posted By: South TX Legend

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 01:35 PM

Might I suggest taking a look at Legend Boats. I really liked them the first time I drove and fished out of one.

If you are in the Hunt give Legend a look. They will treat you right for sure.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 01:40 PM

Love my Stratos and would love to have a 201. As far as Procraft, when I was boat shopping back in 04 I quickly took them off the list as I did not see the quality level that I thought would sustain a long term boat purchase.
Posted By: Triton4306

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 01:58 PM

love my triton
Posted By: 9094

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 02:04 PM

I have a Ranger but fish with a guy in a procraft a lot. It is a good boat. Takes rough water pretty good and is fast. I wouldn't be afraid of a clean procraft or stratos.
Posted By: Kenny aka (rodbender1)

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 02:54 PM

They are both nice boats, have fished out of a Procraft several times, no issues. Only problem i see w/procraft is they are no longer in existance, could represent some repair warranty issues if needed, don't really know how that works.

I am on my 2nd Stratos since 2005, and the 3rd in my family my Dad had a '94 model. I love the boats, the construction the fishability, the speed.

I was a little concerned w/the company during the Genmar bankruptcy(former parent co. of Stratos), but since it has been settle, Stratos has absorbed Champion Boats and they have moved operations to Flipping Ark. They are being built along side Rangers and Tritons, all under Platinum Equity (the new parent company). I feel Stratos is here to stay.

Oh BTW my newer than 2003 model is for sale so I can get in another one. ...201 Stratos Evolution...
Posted By: Catchin'_Lugers

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 03:11 PM

I have had a 87 procraft, 89 procraft, 95 profcraft and now an 04 procraft 192. Would never buy another boat.
Posted By: Cub

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 03:40 PM

I bought a 2004 Pro Craft 210 Super Pro this weekend. It is in absolutely mint condition, motor only has 63 hours on it. I looked at soo many boats in the last few weeks and the truth is not a lot of them were very clean in my price range. I test drove the Pro Craft on lake Waco Sat with what I am guessing 15+ mph winds, really good chop. And I also fished out of a TR-21 about a month ago in similar choppy water. The Pro Craft handled fantastically, and you could not even feel the chop. I am not looking at resale value cuz this boat is going to be in my posession for a really long time. If you can find a clean Pro Craft,I say go for it!

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 05:09 PM

Cub, that was a sweet rig.....

thanks for all the responses....

Kenney, if you can get your boat in my price range, you have a deal sir, lol.

thanks again
Posted By: Gone Shank'n

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 01/31/11 05:20 PM

I have an old Stratos. She is getting a few years on her now, but she is still solid. No structural problems at all. Little heavier hull since it is older, but she still goes pretty fast. I don't have any complaints.
Posted By: The Rodfather

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 03:52 AM

I recently bought a 2003 Stratos 201 ProXL and I absolutely love it so far. The previous owner took good care of it and was almost flawless for an '03. I havnt really been in real rough water yet but the ride is really nice. One thing I noticed is the seats have a higher back than most boats which makes for a more comfortable ride. There is an '05 201 XL for sale here on the forum that looks like a real nice ride, I think 02Fish is trying to sell it. I don't know the guy but he has a nice boat for sale, you might check it out.
Posted By: Lannie Robertson

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Gone Shank'n
I have an old Stratos. She is getting a few years on her now, but she is still solid. No structural problems at all. Little heavier hull since it is older, but she still goes pretty fast. I don't have any complaints.

+1
Mines a 92' 201,its been a goodern,no complaints.thumb
Posted By: Good O'l Rebel

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 09:18 AM

Just bought a 2003 Procraft 210 super pro. I love it but since its my first big fiberglass i really cant compare it to anything. The day i test drove it there were easily 30mph NW winds. The ride was rough but i imagine most would be in those kind of winds. Most light chop days on the water though its a good ride going 60+.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: PKirby
Alright guys, since I've been looking for a boat, I've tried to find a Ranger, Bass Cat, Skeeter, and Champion. Being that I have not found exactly what I'm looking for I'm going to expand the search.

What are your opinions on the Stratos & ProCraft. I have fished out of a 2000 Procraft and I thought it was fine. But, I saw a posts here recently bashing the ProCraft, I think the feller called it ProCrap, lol.

I would also consider Triton. If i were to purchase one of these boats, I'd like to find a 2003 or newer.

Any thoughts would be great.

Kinda depends how much you want to spend. If you do your research and are willing to expand the area from which you make your purchase, you can find one. Back in September of 2004 my Ranger 373 Bassmaster Classic burned up in a boat shed fire. Since I really liked the hull and did not want to spend any more than I got from the insurance settlement, I pretty much expanded my search nation wide. I found a 372V in Denver that had been purchased new by a gentleman who was 78 years old at the time. I looked at pics of the boat, contacted the dealer who had serviced the boat since it was new, and when he said that if he were buying a used boat, that would be the one he bought, I knew it was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I drove to Denver, did a once over on the boat and brought it back to Texas with me. It served me well till my oldest son and I started fishing tournaments together, and we decided we needed a bigger boat.

P.S. I'm the one that said one of my Bassclub Members used a Pro Craft when his boat was being worked on. He was the one that called it a Procrap. Of Course with 18 Members of our club owning BassCats, most of us are a bit partial.
Posted By: water_surge

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 12:22 PM

My BIL has a '94 Stratos he won in a McDs BBS, and that thing is still rock solid. In fact I have told him if he ever sells his boat I would take it off his hands. And the only reason he even thinks of selling it, is cause he wants a 21 footer.

Dear Lord, please bless Billy with lots of work so he can afford that shiny new boat he so badly wants... grin
Posted By: basser1956

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 12:27 PM

I have a 21' stratos. take waves very, well extended pitching deck gives you all the room you need
Posted By: BackSeatBuddy

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 02:57 PM

Have Fished out of a 94 Procraft 180 DC for the past 12 years and this boat is still Rock solid, The only issue I have is that Tracker has stoped production
Posted By: Bassen

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Lannie Robertson
Originally Posted By: Gone Shank'n

+1
Mines a 92' 201,its been a goodern,no complaints.thumb

92 also - evinrude 150 runs like a top, never had any problems (KNOCK ON WOOD)................
Posted By: big21

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: South TX Legend
Might I suggest taking a look at Legend Boats. I really liked them the first time I drove and fished out of one.

If you are in the Hunt give Legend a look. They will treat you right for sure.

and if he likes legends he should buy mine haha
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 4306
love my triton

Posted By: Jefe

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 07:43 PM

Im shocked at all the people that are so sold on Procraft.

I mean what Im about to say literally- YOU COULD NOT PAY ME $200
to fish voluntarily in a Procraft. It is the worst riding piece of garbage on the water IMO. My best friend has one too and can't sell it- the worst riding boat created.. again- IMO.

I think it just shows that buying a boat is completely a personal decision. Most people in our club wouldn't touch a nitro- yet our AOY drives one.

I second the Legends and the older Champions are great rough water boats. As far as boats going to shop- most boats go to the shop because of the motor- so I think that's an irrelevant point.

Take the time and test drive a bunch- you'll find yours!!!!!
Posted By: popcork

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/01/11 09:53 PM

I used to own a 1994 Stratos 270. It was a good boat never gave me any problems. Not the best ridin boat in rough water but it could handle a moderate chop pretty good.
Posted By: shakey head man

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/03/11 04:47 AM

I have a 99 pro craft 200 bass dc. with a 200 EFI. i love the boat. to me it mixes a little bit of everything you want. its perdy fast and handles ruf water good. I love the way it sets in the water but thats just me.
Posted By: 02fish

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/03/11 05:41 AM

If your in the metro plex, and want to test a Stratos I own a 201xl that is for sale. Just ordered my new one last week. Stratos is a great boat! Great in rough water, great top speed! Or if your looking for a new one let me know and I'll put you with a good rep up at Cabela's. They really know how to take care of you there.
Posted By: Fishinreelslow

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/03/11 01:38 PM

Still fishing out of 82 model Procraft !!! Dryer ride than lots of boats.Of Course they dont make hulls with that quality anymore.
Posted By: Patrick M

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/03/11 01:43 PM

I had a '07 Stratos 294 XL. Decent boat for the money, good ride, I never got wet in the bad stuff.

But.... the fit and finish was lackluster to say the least.

Only Procraft experience I had was in a fish/ski, and it would kill you in the wind, TERRIBLE RIDE. Other than that, it seemed like a nice boat.
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/03/11 03:19 PM

i have a 96 201pro xl dc/ 225 merc efi. Boat was handed down to me from my dad, and I've tried to keep it in really good shape. Honestly, you'd be very hard pressed to find a better looking 96 rig on the road. And now with new carpet, color gps up front and back, stereo system, led lights both in boat compartments and on trailer, new trailer bunks and carpet, machined aluminum brackets for the new trailer bunks, new disk brakes w/surge tongue and just mounted retractable trailer tie downs on the trailer.

boat has NEVER let me down, and ith as never disappointed me in any situation on the water. flying colors.
Posted By: coyotebass

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 04:08 AM

Got a 2005 210 super pro and love it!
Posted By: Huntinnfishin

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 04:34 AM

I've owned a stratus, and a procraft. Both were 18'6" and honestly, I liked the options and ride of my procraft much better. The stratus was heavier, and you would think it would handle the rough water better, but it didn't.

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 05:50 AM

with all the responses I think that I will consider both, but I worried a little about resale on the procraft.

thanks for all the responses....

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 01:00 PM

I would not worry about resale for a second personally. have you seen the 2009 BassCat Cougar in the classifieds with every top end add on known to man on it.....that boat set up the way it is cost well in excess of $50,000 and its less than 2 years old. Look at all the price reduction he has made to try and sell it, and even with all the holier than thou BassCat guys out there........its still for sale! You just need to find the one that calls your name, regardless of brand. The brand thing is a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge vs Toyota thing!
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 01:58 PM

BassCat guys are just brand loyal, much like Ranger Guys, or Skeeter guys, or cough, cough, Nitro Guys....No need to take offense just cause you don't recognize true quality in a Bass Boat....

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 02:06 PM

No offense taken, just funny how guys are about their brands. I have owned a lot of different toys over the years and have found that every brand of truck,car,4wheeler,outboard,boat,snow machine,etc all make good ones and bad ones. I personally think that Basscats look like they are about 20 years behind the times style wise, they have that old man 80's look to em. But obviously some guys think they are the shiznit! I had a really good deal going on a 19' Basscat with Josh at Texas Boat World but couldn't make myself like the look of it.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Cub
I would not worry about resale for a second personally. have you seen the 2009 BassCat Cougar in the classifieds with every top end add on known to man on it.....that boat set up the way it is cost well in excess of $50,000 and its less than 2 years old. Look at all the price reduction he has made to try and sell it, and even with all the holier than thou BassCat guys out there........its still for sale! You just need to find the one that calls your name, regardless of brand. The brand thing is a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge vs Toyota thing!

I had a light layup Laser call my name once. Had to have it regardless of the quality. Boat nearly killed me financially and physically, but darn it looked good at the boat ramp.

There is a difference in brands and quality. It might not be obvious in the beginning, but after a few years quality will come to the top. There are a number of boat builders that sell flash. Boats that look good in the showroom and on the trailer. The key to judging the quality and durability of a boat is to see how many good ones are left on the water after 10-15 years of use. That will answer some of your question.
Posted By: criley

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 05:04 PM

I had a 19ft stratos 2006 model and it about killed me in rough water. I have a 22 ft skeeter now and there is no comparison. If you go stratos get a big one. I personally would not buy another one.
Posted By: Crash8005

Re: Stratos & ProCraft - 02/04/11 07:53 PM

I have a 98 stratos that I love. I wish it was bigger but the next one will be. It is a tough boat. I am just now needing to replace carpet on a 13 year old bass boat. Pretty good construction.

I would not discourage buying a stratos.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum