Texas Fishing Forum

Myth busters: fact or fiction

Posted By: hedge hog

Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:22 AM

When the cows are lying down the fishing is bad..Fact or Fiction.
Posted By: Tom Groves

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:24 AM

Fact!
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:27 AM

fiction! they were standing up today and fishing sucked!
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:30 AM

didnt know cow's lied..
I always trusted them ....go figgure??..

Or do you mean laying..??
sorry couldnt help myself
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:31 AM

I've been driving either to or from my fishing spot and have seen cows standing up in one field and laying down in another. What does that mean then?
Posted By: Therealdeal

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:35 AM

My guess is less than average day Rayzor. lol I guess if bubbles show up behind your lure its a top water day is questionable? Just a thought
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor
I've been driving either to or from my fishing spot and have seen cows standing up in one field and laying down in another. What does that mean then?

They are......conflicted?
Posted By: pinesaddict

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Ban-D
cry
Posted By: triton37

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:49 AM

Cows stand more when the wind blows, that is a fact.
Posted By: Saltymustache

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:52 AM

Its not just cows, if all wildlife is active IE* birds,turtles,cows,ducks etc, then typically the fish will be more active, its all about barometric pressure.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:53 AM

Hell if I am doing it the right way its dark on the way to the lake and dark on the way home so I don't see the cows anyway.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Hell if I am doing it the right way its dark on the way to the lake and dark on the way home so I don't see the cows anyway.

Definately true Mark thumb. If you ask my wife yes, when she spots them laying down it just bums her out hammer I ask her were the ones laying down on the right or left side of the truck then fish out of the otherside of the boat. I've always been told the same thing about wildlife in all when they are active and not so will the fish. The funny thing is all of the cows are standing when we leave the lake going home. nuts
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 01:29 AM

As a farm raised country’boy I can assure you that when the cow’s are laying down it’s cause their tired…LOL just go fishing because the bass can’t see the cow’s anyway !!!
Posted By: David D.

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 01:40 AM

Old timers used to think this way, but its not very accurate anymore. Deer are a good indicator, but the way livestock is feed based on schedules they are about as useful as using a human schedule for eating for the most part. But like i said non-domesticated animals can be a pretty decent indicator to how the fish are feeding.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: cantcatchacold
cry

Awe guess uve never had a bad day still had 6 fish only fishing 4 hours biggest went 4lbs. but i guess cantcatchacold must never complain,or have a bad day... some people are just awesome
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 01:49 AM

Thats prolly a good thing ,that way you don't have all that bull crapola in your head. A cow is going to eat everyday and eat most of the day. Except when it is tired and then it is going to lay down: Fact!!!!
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Posted By: Bowhunterman

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 04:14 AM

The way I look at it.....whether they are standing up or lying down, if I ain't working, I'm fishing.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 04:58 AM

What if they were laying down but I drove through the field and got them up and running???

The bass would start biting right?

Get those lazy cows up!
Posted By: Tony Clark @ Lake Fork

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 12:46 PM

bannana2The light conditions & Barametric pressure,more than tired cattle:Another old wise tell.However my Grand dad sure caught alot of fish in his day!Now if you see wildlife moving around,squerrils,deer and such grab a rod and get after them fish! bouncy
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: KCFISH'N
As a farm raised country’boy I can assure you that when the cow’s are laying down it’s cause their tired…LOL just go fishing because the bass can’t see the cow’s anyway !!!

LOL! I'm not a farm boy but it's in my blood (my Dad was and he told me a lot of stuff). I think they are lying down to chew their cud!
Anywho, When I get to the lake and see rabbits and sometimes deer out, then I think it's going to be a good day fishing!
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: KCFISH'N

That is the best one yet! LOL! grin
Posted By: James P.

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 03:31 PM

+1
Posted By: hasbeen

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 03:41 PM

Look for the goats...cowz r dum
Posted By: RangerCrawford

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 04:13 PM

My motto is that fishing is always better when I am on the lake as opposed to somewhere else...... looking at cows for example

(funny topic btw)

Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 04:52 PM

I'm not sure but my partner tells me all the time "look your cows are lying down" it sux to be me...Sorry SOB...;)
Posted By: HitmanFO

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 10:24 PM

Fiction, because when the cows are lying down the fishing is good. When they are standing up they rock the boat too much...

smile
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 10:27 PM

ive caught bass when the cows were laying down,and ive been skunked when the wildlife was going crazy...just keep ur line wet and see what happens.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 11:00 PM

IF the cows lied down,wouldnt they drown
Posted By: Legendonrichland-chambers

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 11:27 PM

I bet if ya stick a nice fresh slice of watermelon in front of any cow laying down or standing up, it will BITE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/29/10 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor

Either they were biting and they quit or they are biting in one area of the lake but not in another. LOL

I have no idea what cows standing or sitting relates to fishing. I have never seen cows fish.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 12:29 AM

Come on guys....cows are weather forecasters, not fishing forecasters! Cows standing up, no rain for the next few days. Cows laying down...they are resting for the coming rain.
Posted By: pinesaddict

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: cantcatchacold
cry

Awe guess uve never had a bad day still had 6 fish only fishing 4 hours biggest went 4lbs. but i guess cantcatchacold must never complain,or have a bad day... some people are just awesome

I was agreeing with u the fishing sucked
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 01:28 AM

I have been watching them for over 30 years and I have better days when I see them up. If they are in tight formation while feeding then the bite can still be tuff,but the more they spread out while feeding the bite gets better. I would say it works over 75 % of the time ! Just my 2 cents worth.
Posted By: KVDwho?

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 04:22 AM

Before I fish Tawakoni next time I'm gonna push over all the cows in Brady Winans' neighborhood.
Posted By: KVDwho?

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
I have been watching them for over 30 years and I have better days when I see them up. If they are in tight formation while feeding then the bite can still be tuff,but the more they spread out while feeding the bite gets better. I would say it works over 75 % of the time ! Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW whats up M&M
Posted By: Bfrenzy

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 04:33 AM

If it's true I'm assuming it has something to do with the barometric pressure...

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: KVDwho?
Before I fish Tawakoni next time I'm gonna push over all the cows in Brady Winans' neighborhood.

lmao...no doubt
Posted By: 9094

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 05:06 AM

I hate cows!
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 06:22 AM

I've always been told chickens lay, dogs lie. Proper grammer I guess.

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 12:44 PM

Marc live's just down from the cattle auction barn if anyone should know cows it would be him.I change my oppinion base on the scientfic data of over 30 years of watching cows & catching bass! juggle rolfmao rolfmao farmer

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinguide
Marc live's just down from the cattle auction barn if anyone should know cows it would be him.I change my oppinion base on the scientfic data of over 30 years of watching cows & catching bass! juggle rolfmao rolfmao farmer

I live right across the street from the Cattle Action Barn and haven't learned squat lol....except they are some noisey animals
Posted By: Bassen

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 11/30/10 03:25 PM

Cows can't fish laying down, So of course the bite is better when they stand up!! azn

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 12/01/10 01:46 AM

rolfmao rolfmaoYou know Bassen is right I can't set the hook sitting or laying down either! lol... rolfmao rolfmao
Posted By: Cameron

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 12/01/10 02:03 AM

I like it better when the cows are medium rare with A1
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Myth busters: fact or fiction - 12/01/10 02:52 AM

Oh man, my Dad said he used to get so mad at my Papaw when he was young. He said they would be almost to the lake to go fishing and if my Papaw saw the cows laying down, he would just turn around and go home. My Dad said he would just say "how in the heck do the fish know"? hahahaha this is the first time I have heard this since he last talked about it!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum