Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Locker Lock Bar

Posted By: BlueFlek

Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/16/10 06:31 PM

Hey guys my girlfriend wants to know what I want for Christmas.
I travel often and thought why not ask her for one of those rod locker lock bars (that goes across the bow of your boat).
I'm having trouble finding them online? I'm not sure what they are called
Any suggestions?
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/16/10 06:33 PM

Loc-R-Bar

http://www.locrbar.com/

Good product - easy to install. You just have to drill 2 large holes in your boat grin Not 100% thief proof (what is?) but a good deterrent.

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/16/10 06:40 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/16/10 06:46 PM

tacklewarehouse has them and free shipping over $50
Posted By: Bill Dee

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/16/10 07:02 PM

The Loc-R-Bar is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately most boats nowadays use the Perko locks which are virtually useless and all seem to use the same key.

I was at a tournament a couple of weekends ago and locked my boxes at night. The next morning, I couldn't unlock one of the latches to my rod box. 12 guys at the motel all had Perko locks in their boats and 7 of the 12 had keys that perfectly matched my keys and worked in all the compartments except the one that wouldn't unlock.

A call to Perko resulted in no help at all and certainly no explanation as to why the majority of the locks are keyed alike.

I have spoken with several friends who use the Loc-R-Bar and all are completely satisfied with the performance of them.

GL&GF,
Bill@SOBLures
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/17/10 01:41 AM

What's weird is even the old locks are keyed the same as the ones made today. I had a lock on 2001 Triton just stop unlocking. The key I have, which is almost 10 years old, is the same one they use today.
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/17/10 01:45 AM

Yes those Perko Locks are all the same. My old skeeter needed a back lock and got one 10 years after and key fit it too. Look at your key number and compare it to your buddy's key and they are the same if you have those locks.
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/17/10 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Puma Jim
tacklewarehouse has them and free shipping over $50

There ya' go thumb
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/17/10 12:32 PM

Got one on my boat. May not completely stop a thief (not sure if anything will) but it will sure slow them down or make them look elsewhere.

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/17/10 03:16 PM

it is the best thing I put on my boat. I use it when on the road and stop for a pit stop or eat. When at a hotel I still take my stuff in at night. With a locker bar they will more than likely hit the boat next to you instead of yours.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 01:58 PM

it is the best thing I put on my boat. I use it when on the road and stop for a pit stop or eat. When at a hotel I still take my stuff in at night. With a locker bar they will more than likely hit the boat next to you instead of yours.

Same here.....
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 06:40 PM

I did a lot of research on the rod locker lock bar for my boat. What I discovered was that thieves now take your winch cable and attach it to the bare to bend to get to your stuff...perfectly silent, you will never hear them. After debate, I went a few dollars more and went with the full alarm. Every compartment is protected and even has a bump sensor with an initial warning. Bottom line is anyone climbs on your boat and the alarm goes off, and it is loud. The blue alarm led is very bright and let any intruder know it is alarmed. Is it the perfect system, no, nothing is, but I sleep well the night before a tournament when the boat is loaded.

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 06:48 PM

very seldom is it that I go to a hotel/camp where I am the only boat. And by very seldom i mean never. While you are probably right about your research, thats a lot of dang work to get into someones boat when the next guy's is wide open.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 06:50 PM

Nothing is fool proof, but its damn sure better than nothing.

BTW North Texas Fiberglass debunked the theory that you could pry one off with the winch if properly installed.

But I have heard of them taking a sawz-all and cutting the end mount out of the top cap.

If they want it bad enough nothing you can do to prevent it.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: NitroUSAF
I did a lot of research on the rod locker lock bar for my boat. What I discovered was that thieves now take your winch cable and attach it to the bare to bend to get to your stuff...perfectly silent, you will never hear them. After debate, I went a few dollars more and went with the full alarm. Every compartment is protected and even has a bump sensor with an initial warning. Bottom line is anyone climbs on your boat and the alarm goes off, and it is loud. The blue alarm led is very bright and let any intruder know it is alarmed. Is it the perfect system, no, nothing is, but I sleep well the night before a tournament when the boat is loaded.

No way in heck would I not hear someone winching the lock r bar off my boat... its going to make plenty of noise IMO. I've ofter heard about the winch being used to compromise the lock r bar but never actually seen it or talked to someone its happened to. I guess if your rig is parked a long way away from your room or something it would be possible. Easiest fix for that is to shorten the strap on your winch. thumb I just dont want the alarm drawing from my batteries, the boat I have now had a full blown alarm system in it.. the previous owners took it out and replaced it with a lock r bar.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 06:56 PM

Redneck Loc-R-Bar. Padlocked to trailer frame.

Posted By: MV

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 07:01 PM

slip tubing over chain so it mess up your finish

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 07:03 PM

yes, that is the next step to pretty it up. I only put in on when it is parked anyway.
Posted By: Chad711

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: tx_basser

Can't you just slide the chains up to the front of your boat and move it away from the storage spaces?

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/18/10 09:12 PM

I knew it was a matter of time for someone brought up the winch cable rumor. It is total [censored] and no proof whatsoever. Think about it; it would be much easier to cut the padlock if they wanted in. I know a fiberglass repair shop tried this rumor and could not do it. Any time someone post about this bar this rumor comes out. I will say again it is the best thing I put on my boat after I bought it but if they want in they will get in but not with the winch cable
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 12:10 AM

I knew it was a matter of time for someone brought up the winch cable rumor. It is total [censored] and no proof whatsoever. Think about it; it would be much easier to cut the padlock if they wanted in. I know a fiberglass repair shop tried this rumor and could not do it. Any time someone post about this bar this rumor comes out. I will say again it is the best thing I put on my boat after I bought it but if they want in they will get in but not with the winch cable

Amen Puma Jim such non sense rolfmao It must be getting close to cabin fever time. I have the Loc R Bar on all of my boats thumb

Debra smile
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 01:02 AM

I fixed a Champion awile back that had the loc-r-bar removed by cutting the gunnel of the boat around the loc-r-bar away with a hack saw... If they want it they will get it...

All other ideas on getting them off would be easy to prove wrong.

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Chad711

Can't you just slide the chains up to the front of your boat and move it away from the storage spaces?

No, they are locked to the cross member so they can't slide forward.

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 03:07 AM

That chain looks kind of light weight. I have seen a pair wire dikes that could cut that chain pretty easy. Cheap set of bolt cutter from the Home Depot and its off in two seconds, am I missing something here?
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 03:17 AM

I like it. Nice job.

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14
That chain looks kind of light weight. I have seen a pair wire dikes that could cut that chain pretty easy. Cheap set of bolt cutter from the Home Depot and its off in two seconds, am I missing something here?

It's stainless steel chain and very tuff. I was able to cut it with my 18" set of bolt cutters, but a pair of dikes aren't doing to do it. Remember it is a deterrent, most smash/grab thieves that steal tackle from a hotel parking lot are not carrying bolt cutters or want to take the time to try and cut it off.

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 04:42 AM

10-4. Then bet it does the job. Thiefs suck.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: NitroUSAF
I did a lot of research on the rod locker lock bar for my boat. What I discovered was that thieves now take your winch cable and attach it to the bare to bend to get to your stuff...perfectly silent, you will never hear them.

LOC-R-BAR used to offer a reward if you could show picture proof or a police report where this actually occurred. It has been written off as an urban myth. I know Michael Bristow of North Texas Fiberglass attempted this with a boat he had and documented it with pictures and he came to the conclusion it was virtually impossible to get enough torgue from the winch strap to even remotely get close to getting past the bar. If you found pictures and/or proof please post a link. Thanks
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 11:29 AM

Not sure why some folks always try to find the negative in things. The LOC R BAR is a deterrent. It may not be perfect but it sure does help. The alarm systems that some folks install are not always going to stop thieves but they certainly help. If someone is determined to break into your boat, most likely they will find a way to do it. Even the boats that are supposedly protected by Smith & Wesson (or whatever brand) can still be broken into. The scum bags may have a bigger and badder S&W.

If someone is taking the time and expense to install something on their boat that is a deterrent to thieves, then good for them. Any thing that can make it more difficult for a thief is a good thing.
Posted By: kevin

Re: Rod Locker Lock Bar - 11/19/10 01:00 PM

I know it may not 100% butit stop the easy shopping .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum