Texas Fishing Forum

Toughest spinnerbait

Posted By: johns

Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 02:48 AM

Im heading to Mexico soon and need some tough spinnerbaits that will hold up to a lot of fish. Any recomendations I would prefer tied skirts.
Posted By: Texan4Liberty

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 03:19 AM

Just go with what YOU like to use, and get plenty of them.
Posted By: Lance Krueger

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 04:33 AM

How 'bout Terminators with the Titanium wire? The ones I've used have never bent up.
Posted By: beezy

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 07:03 AM

I like using revenge spinnerbaits as well as custom ones from a site called BassCraft. Their spinnerbaits hold up exceptionally well. Plus they have lumaflex skirts which I believe attract more bass, or maybe it's just a confidence thing.
Posted By: SEABAG

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 07:22 AM

SOB spinerbaits, made in TX
Posted By: nb_one

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 08:59 AM

Originally Posted By: SEABAG
SOB spinerbaits, made in TX

+1 Bill makes a great spinnerbait!
Posted By: Bazztex

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 10:53 AM

Talon lures Shibui Spinnerbaits uses a special wire that have held up well for me and they Wire wrap their skirts on to the body so they stay attached after heavy use.

They are not my sponsor.. I just love their baits. cheers
Posted By: Skeeterag99

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 01:11 PM

I like terminator, they dont bend. U may lose a blade occassionally after catching lots of fish. I really liked the way the h20 ran from academy, but one fish and the dang thing just fell apart.
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Bazztex
Talon lures Shibui Spinnerbaits uses a special wire that have held up well for me and they Wire wrap their skirts on to the body so they stay attached after heavy use.

They are not my sponsor.. I just love their baits. cheers

Not my sponsor either-but they are my favorites.
Posted By: D. Bryan

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 01:47 PM

Revenge Spinnerbaits...i absolutely love em and what they catch!
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 01:54 PM

Terminator T1, can't beat titanium for toughness. Plus it really catches 'em. Where in Mexico are you going?
Posted By: mutantslinger

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 05:39 PM

Pro Assassinators from Secret Weapon Lures.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 06:40 PM

You are going to MEXICO and your only worried about spinnerbaits, funny! Seriously, I heard one time the best spinners had a closed eye tie hole, reason being if you catch a really big bass it can straighten the wire causing the line to pull the blades off, losing all that was once attached to said spinnerbait. That being said I don't know where to find those at and have never had that happen to me; but I have never fished Mexico before either. GOOD LUCK

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
You are going to MEXICO and your only worried about spinnerbaits, funny! Seriously, I heard one time the best spinners had a closed eye tie hole, reason being if you catch a really big bass it can straighten the wire causing the line to pull the blades off, losing all that was once attached to said spinnerbait. That being said I don't know where to find those at and have never had that happen to me; but I have never fished Mexico before either. GOOD LUCK

I had a Fork Mega Toad pull the body and skirt off the wire using 80# braid one night.. the knot never slipped off the R-bend. I got the wire and blade back.. the frame was still in the original 45deg bend. I've been fishing spinner baits since the early 60's when H&H was about all you could find and I have never had a bass pull the line up to the blade... never. That must have been some mighty soft or thin frame wire or they used a snap swivel on an R-bend? noidea
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 07:35 PM

I had a Fork Mega Toad pull the body and skirt off the wire using 80# braid one night.. the knot never slipped off the R-bend. I got the wire and blade back.. the frame was still in the original 45deg bend. I've been fishing spinner baits since the early 60's when H&H was about all you could find and I have never had a bass pull the line up to the blade... never. That must have been some mighty soft or thin frame wire or they used a snap swivel on an R-bend? noidea

It might have been some kind of marketing ploy to sell a certain kind of spinner, I heard this tale from a lure shop down at Falcon a couple years ago. Could've been B.S.!

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 08:04 PM

It might have been some kind of marketing ploy to sell a certain kind of spinner, I heard this tale from a lure shop down at Falcon a couple years ago. Could've been B.S.!

Yep..

Some folks will believe that mess when someone is using an extreme/ fabricated case to sell a special bait.

The one I had the head pulled off the frame was one I built with .051 heavy stainless wire for big fish. I had caught several fish between 6 & 9 pounds and had to tune the wire frequently. My solution was to quit fishing spinner baits on Braid.. it puts too much shock stress on the wire frame in my opinion. Wire will only bend so many times before it gets weak from metal fatigue. The most likely breaking point is where the wire frame meets the lead head where the bending stress is more accute.

Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 10:14 PM

One thing to not have to worry about, if you use Bill Dee's SOB twisted loop SBs. I think they are on .038 or .040 wire, so HEAVY wire and if you get the twisted loop, vs. R bend, you will not have the fish straighten it. If they do, it will cut your line, but I have pulled in old tires (probably 40+ lbs or so) with them and not straighteded out the hook or the loop. A little tuning and back to fishing.

Those are ture works of art and the TUFFEST SBs I nkow of.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 10:47 PM

Caught a lot of fish on spinnerbaits over the years and some of them have been pretty good size, never had one straighten the wire. Won't say it can't happen but never has happened to me.
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 11:00 PM

Is there such a thing as a "tough" spinnerbait????
Posted By: Tom Lombardo

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/22/10 11:21 PM

The thin wire gives better vibration and action. The looped eye will hold the line in place. Same thing goes for buzz baits.
Posted By: James Roberts

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/23/10 01:44 AM

I like Oldham's blades, they are made of a more stout wire. Good luck and keep your eyes open!
JR
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/23/10 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Lance Krueger
How 'bout Terminators with the Titanium wire? The ones I've used have never bent up.

+1
Posted By: KVDwho?

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/23/10 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Red 12
Originally Posted By: Lance Krueger

+1

+ 2. I am still using the frames of several T1 Terminators that I bought over 10 years ago. I have had to repaint the heads and change the blades and skirts many times, but they keep on catching fish. No telling how many fish and hang-ups those baits have been through. Super tough.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/24/10 02:32 AM

terminator t1
Posted By: Cen Tex Angler

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/25/10 03:03 PM

Terminator T-1 Spinnerbaits are the best
Posted By: bwdorman

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/25/10 03:10 PM

+1 Terminator T-1 Spinnerbaits
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/25/10 03:15 PM

Bass Assault Lures makes a very durable spinner bait. Stripers can do more damage to bass lures than any bass and I have caught as many as 100 striper in a day to 10 pounds on one Head Trip spinner bait by Bass Assault. The wire he uses as even survived 50 pound braind with no drag at Falcon and I used the same spinner bait all 4 days and caught about 25 to 30 bass on the spinner bait every morning up to about 7 pounds. They hold extremely well for me. With that said the only spinner bait I have ever broken were terminators. Broke about 10 of them before I decided they were not for me.
Posted By: Andi Sanders

Re: Toughest spinnerbait - 05/25/10 04:15 PM

Controlled metallurgic testing shows that titanium wire is the only wire used in sb frames that will stress fracture at the r-bend simply from the flexing of the bait retreived in water - without ever catching a fish or banging into something.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum