Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon Cara Old vs New

Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/20/24 11:29 PM

I have heard the new ones just aren't the same as the old ones... The new is a carbon blank which makes sense, but I am looking for some feedback before I drop 250... no steez I am not buying a lowrider lol
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 12:19 AM

I’ve sent back more of my newer rods (2-5 years old) then I have my older rods (10-15 years old). Been loyal to them for most of my fishing years. Last year I started looking into other brands for future purchases.

Dobyns has some models which are comparable that I really like.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King
I have heard the new ones just aren't the same as the old ones... The new is a carbon blank which makes sense, but I am looking for some feedback before I drop 250... no steez I am not buying a lowrider lol

I’m on to bigger better things.

Get an Evergreen Kaliedo. roflmao

Like your stereo stuff. You’re too rich for my blood. Haha.
Posted By: nfhbass

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

I think it depends on what is important to you.

I only have older falcons that were made in USA, I believe in Arkansas and they’re very good rods.

Lately, it seems like steez and others have been treated well/right if you need a replacement from Falcon.

Dobyns has a history of being easy to deal with in terms of replacements and they have a pile
Of different models to pick from

If made in the USA is important to you, I would look at Cashion, I’m pretty sure they roll their own blanks and assemble all here in USA, which I’m not 100% sure, but they might be about the only ones doing that. A lot of stuff has moved off to Mexico, china, or Korea. Obviously there is quality Japanese equipment made.

Maybe some of the higher end loomis, nfc/edge is USA made. I think Lamiglas is USA made still, but that’s mostly salmon Type stuff.
Posted By: BWG

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 01:06 PM

I have many different Falcons. Old low riders, low rider 20s, older Caras, newer caras, older experts, newer experts.

I have 4 Amistads in Lowrider 20, new Expert, old cara, new Cara. My favorite one of the 4 for Carolina Rig is the new Cara. Great rod for this technique. I use the older Cara for A-Rig rod.

A great rod is the Lowrider 20 weightless worm rod. It’s a wet noodle but fun to fish senkos and flukes.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 02:29 PM

I've got 4 of the newer Cara's and can't tell the difference action wise... The only difference is they went to a skinner handle... I guess the girly men of today have smaller hands... Dan

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
I've got 4 of the newer Cara's and can't tell the difference action wise... The only difference is they went to a skinner handle... I guess the girly men of today have smaller hands... Dan

roflmao and they don’t have that 🇺🇸 on them frown

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by nfhbass
... roflmao and they don’t have that US on them frown

FIFY... Dan flag
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 02:50 PM

Smaller handles for the FFS sissy guys, right Dan?

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
... Smaller handles for the FFS sissy guys, right Dan?

Got no idea... But maybe... Not that there's anything wrong with it... Dan bolt
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 03:26 PM

I’ve used Falcons for over 20 years and am currently getting rid of all my old Cara’s. To me, the new ones are much better. Their lighter it seems to me and I love the split grip. Everyone is different when it comes to rods but that’s my 2 cents worth..

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Champion1
I’ve used Falcons for over 20 years and am currently getting rid of all my old Cara’s. To me, the new ones are much better. Their lighter it seems to me and I love the split grip. Everyone is different when it comes to rods but that’s my 2 cents worth..

Ah heck, I love a full grip, heavy jig rod, I’ll take 5.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/21/24 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by BWG
I have many different Falcons. Old low riders, low rider 20s, older Caras, newer caras, older experts, newer experts.

I have 4 Amistads in Lowrider 20, new Expert, old cara, new Cara. My favorite one of the 4 for Carolina Rig is the new Cara. Great rod for this technique. I use the older Cara for A-Rig rod.

A great rod is the Lowrider 20 weightless worm rod. It’s a wet noodle but fun to fish senkos and flukes.

Wet noodle is an understatement. It doesn’t even make for a good drop shot rod. I have one. Used maybe 3 casts in two years.
Posted By: Collindave

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/22/24 09:07 PM

Have two new ones. Amistad and heavy cover jig rod. love them both more than my exprides and I love my exprides!
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/23/24 02:53 AM

The current Cara is still excellent, like its predecessors
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/23/24 12:36 PM

Good info, I know a lot of rod manufacturers are getting some of their rods out of China and I was just wondering if Falcon is doing that, and which rods they are actually making in house and which ones are coming from across the pond.
I own two of the old school original Falcons from way back when they first started the company and still use them to this day. I've recently bought some Chinese rods of other manufactures and what I've learned so far is I need to buy American made if I want the quality I've come to expect.
I was in Brannon's a while back and almost walked out with a Cara. I was looking for deep crankbait rod and left their with a Jordan Lee ABU Garcia rod. I haven't used it that much and have already broken two guides on it.
I bought a Duckett Ghost for small to medium crankbaits and you can't keep a fish hooked up on it to save your life, I probably loose over half the fish that I hook.

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/23/24 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Good info, I know a lot of rod manufacturers are getting some of their rods out of China and I was just wondering if Falcon is doing that, and which rods they are actually making in house and which ones are coming from across the pond...

I emailed Falcon a couple of weeks ago asking if any of their rods were still made in the USA and here's the response I got... Dan

Hello,

We no longer carry any rods that are still made in the US.

Thank You,
Warranty Department
Posted By: RMOROTT21

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/23/24 02:06 PM

Check out Virtus Rods they are made at the same place in Arkansas that the falcons were before and same blanks best I can tell

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/23/24 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by RMOROTT21
Check out Virtus Rods they are made at the same place in Arkansas that the falcons were before and same blanks best I can tell

just saw something that Virtus was bought out by a big dog....maybe get em while ya can
Posted By: RMOROTT21

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/23/24 02:15 PM

Might have to do that I have more Caras than I need now for as much as I fish anymore. I just located old shoal cranker I had been looking for long time

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/24/24 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Good info, I know a lot of rod manufacturers are getting some of their rods out of China and I was just wondering if Falcon is doing that, and which rods they are actually making in house and which ones are coming from across the pond...

I emailed Falcon a couple of weeks ago asking if any of their rods were still made in the USA and here's the response I got... Dan

Hello,

We no longer carry any rods that are still made in the US.

Thank You,
Warranty Department

Sounds like they went the same route as Allstar a decade or so ago. I sent them basically the same e-mail and got the same response. I live not to far from the Dobyns facility and I wonder if they have done the same. I just did a search for bass fishing rods made in America and there were a few names that came up, but Cashion was the only one I saw that I recognized.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/24/24 12:19 PM

I've been using Falcon Caras for about 15 years and I have noticed no difference over that period of time.
Posted By: Hogfan1

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/24/24 12:26 PM

I’ve started slowly switching over to ALX rods. Made here in the US with their own blanks. You can call the company and talk directly with the owner, which is rare these days
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/26/24 01:58 PM

I don’t have one but I’m going to get a JB3 rod.

They are made in Merica.

Seems like a really solid rod.

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/26/24 02:20 PM

When I read this thread it got me wondering about Dobyns, their facility is just a little ways from my place so I emailed them and asked them were any of their rods made in China and could I still drive down and buy direct from them? Yes we can buy direct. The high end rods are made in South Korea; the Champion Extreme HP and Extasy series. The rest are made in China.

Re: Falcon Cara Old vs New - 04/26/24 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
I don’t have one but I’m going to get a JB3 rod.

They are made in Merica.

Seems like a really solid rod.

One of my high school anglers has one of these. series two. great feeling rod. aesthetics reminds me a lot of the Cara rods. I think JB3 are sold by fun n sun. not sure where else to find them
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum