Texas Fishing Forum

Fork Condition

Posted By: Cliff31

Fork Condition - 04/12/24 03:58 AM

Heading to Fork for a weekend trip next Thursday 4/18.

Hearing the water is way up and gates are open. Folks saying it’s making the fishing tough!!

Anyone know timing and if things will settle by next weekend?
Posted By: Rhodes 520

Re: Fork Condition - 04/12/24 04:19 AM

Doubtful it settles anytime soon. The gates have been open for several weeks releasing water and there’s a lot more rain in the forecast next week.
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Fork Condition - 04/12/24 02:49 PM

I was in the area yesterday on business, and I stopped to walk around the new boat launch. Water is a little stained, but clear-ish. I wouldn’t let it stop me from fishing if I had a mind to.

JR

Re: Fork Condition - 04/12/24 02:52 PM

Any advice on strategy with the open
gates shaking things up?
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Fork Condition - 04/12/24 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff31
Any advice on strategy with the open
gates shaking things up?

You might get lucky with the rain. Get enough and water will be rising pulling fish up.
Should be really good if that happens. Swim jig could be a killer and I'd definitely throw a frog!!
If water is falling pull back and hit points, secondary points and creek swings.
Good luck.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Fork Condition - 04/12/24 03:55 PM

Dont worry about the gates. Water is stained in some places and cleaner in others. Lots of fish still on beds and lots of fish started spawning in February and have already started transitioning out deep and setting up on mainlake and secondary points. All I can tell you is to just go fish. Lots of reports the last 2 weeks about stained and dirty water. But we have been killing them sight fishing. So it really might depend where they are fishing on the lake.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Fork Condition - 04/12/24 04:53 PM

Look for the shad spawn !
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Fork Condition - 04/12/24 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by KB1953
Look for the shad spawn !

I was going to suggest this, and that you throw a shad-colored spinnerbait.

JR

Re: Fork Condition - 04/13/24 06:46 PM

Thanks guys- I appreciate the feedback and suggestions!!
Posted By: NattySnax

Re: Fork Condition - 04/16/24 12:52 PM

We are headed down this Saturday (20th) and staying until the 27th. Not sure I'll have access to internet but will post results when I can
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fork Condition - 04/16/24 02:58 PM

I'll never understand the hype about the gates being open causing tough fishing. It's Fork, it's a water supply lake...the lake is always falling.
Just go fishing, have fun and don't expect the worst.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Fork Condition - 04/16/24 03:06 PM

Our tourney had 178 boats and lots of locals. It took 6 pounds to get a check. Winner had 3 fish but one was a 10. Very tough. Even the dinks were shaking off hooks. Weird bite. Caught a 4 and a 7 then 28 pulled off
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Fork Condition - 04/16/24 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
Our tourney had 178 boats and lots of locals. It took 6 pounds to get a check. Winner had 3 fish but one was a 10. Very tough. Even the dinks were shaking off hooks. Weird bite. Caught a 4 and a 7 then 28 pulled off

What tournament was that?
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Fork Condition - 04/16/24 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama

What tournament was that?

Texas team trail I think.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum