Texas Fishing Forum

Mr Clunn's opinion.

Posted By: Douglas J

Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 03:48 AM

For those who tried to twist one of the greatest "instinctive" fisherman's words in the last one of these was posted. Mr. Clunn makes it a little more clear abut his opinion. He said it a little louder for those in the back to hear this time.

Please skip to 17:48, it should start pretty close

Posted By: nfhbass

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 03:52 AM

de
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 04:00 AM

He ain't scared he's motivated. That can be dangerous especially with his knowledge already.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 04:13 AM

This is a good listen.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 04:23 AM

You cannot listen to that and have a valid argument against what he said. Great way to explain it. azn

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
You cannot listen to that and have a valid argument against what he said. Great way to explain it. azn

Someone will come along and say he did not say it should not be banned from tournaments.

The part about KVD was interesting.
Posted By: KnotTexan

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

Someone will come along and say he did not say it should not be banned from tournaments.

The part about KVD was interesting.

That was awesome. Doesn’t want to be stuck in mediocrity and wants to learn and win an event scoping. flehan

Yes the KVD thing was definitely interesting?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 11:45 AM

A. I.

bolt
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by nfhbass
de

This
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 11:51 AM

Rick told me way back early when I started this game I wouldn't be making a living on tournament winnings. That was a little bit of a shock to me. It was sponsors that put a pay check in your wallet. Winnings were just gravy.
Posted By: shanetx

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 12:07 PM

Tyler would be perfect for a sun screen sponsor.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 12:33 PM

I look at all this FFS situation through his perspective and he brings some sanity to the whole situation. The way technology is growing in literally everything that exist 10 years from now we'll look back at current FFS and it will look like it is from the prehistoric era. The big three in this game will be in a "here hold my beer and watch this" mentality as far as advancements are concerned. FFS is here to stay. Does it need to be regulated? From a safety standpoint yes if an angler is getting so many sonar units on his or her boat they can't see what's ahead of them. Cost/what a tournament angler spends on it, yes.
Is it like spot lighting deer to use FFS? I'd have to say a resounding NO. Think about what happens to a spotlighted deer, it winds up in someone's freezer. These fish for the most part don't, at the end of the day they are still swimming around in the lake.
"I don't like watching tournaments that allow FFS because the anglers are doing nothing but staring at their sonar screens" as opposed to staring at the shore, stumps, weed line, or where their lure landed in open water. who_knows They are always going to be staring at something and some are just going to talk to the camera more than others.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I look at all this FFS situation through his perspective and he brings some sanity to the whole situation. The way technology is growing in literally everything that exist 10 years from now we'll look back at current FFS and it will look like it is from the prehistoric era. The big three in this game will be in a "here hold my beer and watch this" mentality as far as advancements are concerned. FFS is here to stay. Does it need to be regulated? From a safety standpoint yes if an angler is getting so many sonar units on his or her boat they can't see what's ahead of them. Cost/what a tournament angler spends on it, yes.
Is it like spot lighting deer to use FFS? I'd have to say a resounding NO. Think about what happens to a spotlighted deer, it winds up in someone's freezer. These fish for the most part don't, at the end of the day they are still swimming around in the lake.
"I don't like watching tournaments that allow FFS because the anglers are doing nothing but staring at their sonar screens" as opposed to staring at the shore, stumps, weed line, or where their lure landed in open water. who_knows They are always going to be staring at something and some are just going to talk to the camera more than others.

It’s not spotlighting- that’s a horrible analogy- if the tech ever gets that good I’m confident it would be banned in tournament fishing.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 01:15 PM

Finally finished the podcast this morning, the answer to the KVD thing was eeks! I thought he was joking, sounds like there might be a tiny grudge for him leaving to go to the flip flop league.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

It’s not spotlighting- that’s a horrible analogy- if the tech ever gets that good I’m confident it would be banned in tournament fishing.
How's it spot lighting then? Bass aren't dying, deer do.......there's a MAJOR difference in my book.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 04:40 PM

I call it logic but some or all will not agree but here is my comment.

Every sport including fishing has rules that limit your abilities. Every one of them.
In fishing you are not allowed to use live bait. You can't have but so many lines in the water, the length of your pole is limited. Boat size, horsepower limits.

FFS is just another thing. The only reason to make it illegal is if it does not contribute to the sport.
If it hurts the sport by shrinking the sponsor, then make it illegal. If not the changes will be from bait manufacturers to swim bait manufacturers. No big deal.
If it shrinks the viewership, hurts they money that feeds the tournament circuit, get rid of it.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1

Every sport including fishing has rules that limit your abilities. Every one of them.
In fishing you are not allowed to use live bait. You can't have but so many lines in the water, the length of your pole is limited. Boat size, horsepower limits.

FFS is just another thing. The only reason to make it illegal is if it does not contribute to the sport.
If it hurts the sport by shrinking the sponsor, then make it illegal. If not the changes will be from bait manufacturers to swim bait manufacturers. No big deal.
If it shrinks the viewership, hurts they money that feeds the tournament circuit, get rid of it.

Well it is quite obvious when a large amount of anglers say something to the effect of “well I just have to ffs to be competitive, not because I like it” MANY have said that, it isn’t just “olds”, poll the players, see the data. BASS is slow to respond because they are scared it will rock the boat too much.

Its gotten stupid at this point. It’s like one hitter just decided to use a metal bat, and started hitting homers daily, so everyone else jumped in, and the MLB just said”ah, it’s okay, Louisville slugger quit sponsory us” blah blah blah. Never mind that the game completely changed. This doesn’t happen, for reason.

I was considering getting a FFS, and all of this hog wash has turned me away from it, does Garmin like that?

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 05:35 PM

This is what you said on the last Clunn pod about FFS.

He was not talking about its affect on competitive bass fishing as much as he was talking about how it reveals more about bass behavior and how to find them.

Here is a more recent interview with him saying that from now on you can't say you're the best if you don't use FFS. A statement I totally disagree with. Take a bunch of these new fishermen and put them on a lake without their fancy boat electronics and they can't win a thing.
FFS may be the start of different levels of competitive bass fishing. None of the FFS experts, or relatively few can compete without it. None of the non FFS experts, or relatively few can compete with it.

The guy who can go out and catch the most fish without all the newest tech will always be the best IMO.
The guy who knows the most about their environment, what affects them and what makes them bite.

You said, "He was not talking about its affect on competitive bass fishing"

LMAO.

bs

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 05:41 PM

Well it is quite obvious when a large amount of anglers say something to the effect of “well I just have to ffs to be competitive, not because I like it” MANY have said that, it isn’t just “olds”, poll the players, see the data. BASS is slow to respond because they are scared it will rock the boat too much.

Its gotten stupid at this point. It’s like one hitter just decided to use a metal bat, and started hitting homers daily, so everyone else jumped in, and the MLB just said”ah, it’s okay, Louisville slugger quit sponsory us” blah blah blah. Never mind that the game completely changed. This doesn’t happen, for reason.

I was considering getting a FFS, and all of this hog wash has turned me away from it, does Garmin like that?

You weren’t actually considering getting it.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 05:47 PM

Get it, don’t get it; but either way Clunn is still right.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 05:49 PM

Get it, don’t get it; but either way Clunn is still right.

+1

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 05:54 PM

All of these guys are out for $. Remember when Roland Martin was telling Americans they just had to have a helicopter lure, anything for a dollar.

I haven’t seen any numbers on electronics sales, but the only reason they haven’t limited it is because the makers want money, and they will pay to make that happen, and everyone that has to have the latest will pay.

It’s not complicated.
Posted By: Strugglebus

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 06:07 PM

If I was considering buying something, not sure hate on a fishing forum would change my mind. Especially if I was as hard headed as you. If you have the ability to get it, you should. It is fun to play with.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 06:18 PM

Meanwhile this Tyler Williams kid is hard not to like. Definitely pulling for him to do well in the future.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Strugglebus
If I was considering buying something, not sure hate on a fishing forum would change my mind. Especially if I was as hard headed as you. If you have the ability to get it, you should. It is fun to play with.

I stare at a screen enough in life. When I fish I prefer to stare at nature. Everyone has choices, I’m happy w my success wo, and I haven’t allowed people to fool me into thinking I “have” to have it.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 07:51 PM

... It’s not spotlighting- that’s a horrible analogy- if the tech ever gets that good I’m confident it would be banned in tournament fishing.

Is it like spotlighting with a tranquilizing dart... Shoot the deer, get pictures, measure and score the rack, weigh it. Then watch it regain consciousness and trot into the woods... Shoot and release... To a high fence ranch near you... Take your data to a taxidermist and have him create a replica... Dan
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 08:12 PM

Have you used it or is this another Google opinion

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
... It’s not spotlighting- that’s a horrible analogy- if the tech ever gets that good I’m confident it would be banned in tournament fishing.

Is it like spotlighting with a tranquilizing dart... Shoot the deer, get pictures, measure and score the rack, weigh it. Then watch it regain consciousness and trot into the woods... Shoot and release... To a high fence ranch near you... Take your data to a taxidermist and have him create a replica... Dan

It’s not even close- let’s bring it down for the slow folks.
Spotlighting deer: light shined directly on a deer- you see it with your own eyes and know it’s a deer. If spotlighting deer was done with a livescope what you’d see instead of a deer is some moving blobs that are mammals- but you don’t know what kind. You also wouldn’t know exactly where they are, just the general direction…. So instead of a tranquilizing dart you would toss a piece of feed in their direction and hope they eat it…
Posted By: vdavid

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 08:33 PM

I stare at a screen enough in life. When I fish I prefer to stare at nature. Everyone has choices, I’m happy w my success wo, and I haven’t allowed people to fool me into thinking I “have” to have it.

I would like to know what percentage of anglers travel and fish multi-day events. To me that's the only segment of bass fisherman who might "have" to have it to be competitive.

If you're fishing for 5 fish, any given day you can win fishing the way you prefer if you know the water you're fishing. To me it seems that the number of people who feel like they have to have it is much larger than the number of people who really do need it to compete. At least on public Texas lakes. I don't know about the smallmouth stuff up north but I hear that's different.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 09:11 PM

Ffs sonar, FFS sonar discussion, anything forward facing is so 2023. Im tired of it. bolt

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/11/24 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by vdavid

I would like to know what percentage of anglers travel and fish multi-day events. To me that's the only segment of bass fisherman who might "have" to have it to be competitive.

If you're fishing for 5 fish, any given day you can win fishing the way you prefer if you know the water you're fishing. To me it seems that the number of people who feel like they have to have it is much larger than the number of people who really do need it to compete. At least on public Texas lakes. I don't know about the smallmouth stuff up north but I hear that's different.

You can catch a smallmouth up north trolling your cigarette butts, don’t let anyone fool you.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/12/24 01:48 AM

... If spotlighting deer was done with a livescope what you’d see instead of a deer is some moving blobs that are mammals- but you don’t know what kind...

Some guys say they can determine the species by the way they react to a lure... And we know it's just a matter of time before species identification is available as a basic feature on each unit... Embrace the technology, it is what it is... Dan

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/12/24 02:13 AM

... I would like to know what percentage of anglers travel and fish multi-day events. To me that's the only segment of bass fisherman who might "have" to have it to be competitive.

It doesn't matter what percentage of angler fish multi-day or even fish multi-days a month. Just look in the Boats for sale page. There's multiple boats that are a year old, have less than 30 hours and have been decked out with every conceivable accessory available to a fisherman. They have to have the latest and greatest... The "Average Joe" bass fisherman has been convinced/ brainwashed into thinking that they have to have not one, but two Power Poles, a spot lock lock trolling motor and have to have multiple graphs with GPS and mapping... Heck they're so have to have they're standard on most bass boat packages sold today... And if they're not they're not up to snuff they're the first upgrade before the purchase... Put a poll up "what's a must have on a new bass boat"? Top 3 answers will be Power Polls, Spot Lock, and multiple graphs... Heck to me the greatest add on was Boat Buckle Retractable Tie Down straps... lol... Dan

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/12/24 03:28 AM

Maybe people WANT to have it, nobody said they “HAD” to have it. (Well, a few of the pros have said that; but it doesn’t matter if they are too lazy to learn how to use it).

If people can afford it, what does it matter to anyone else?

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/12/24 03:34 AM

... I would like to know what percentage of anglers travel and fish multi-day events. To me that's the only segment of bass fisherman who might "have" to have it to be competitive.

It doesn't matter what percentage of angler fish multi-day or even fish multi-days a month. Just look in the Boats for sale page. There's multiple boats that are a year old, have less than 30 hours and have been decked out with every conceivable accessory available to a fisherman. They have to have the latest and greatest... The "Average Joe" bass fisherman has been convinced/ brainwashed into thinking that they have to have not one, but two Power Poles, a spot lock lock trolling motor and have to have multiple graphs with GPS and mapping... Heck they're so have to have they're standard on most bass boat packages sold today... And if they're not they're not up to snuff they're the first upgrade before the purchase... Put a poll up "what's a must have on a new bass boat"? Top 3 answers will be Power Polls, Spot Lock, and multiple graphs... Heck to me the greatest add on was Boat Buckle Retractable Tie Down straps... lol... Dan

Ha, now motors ON the Poles. What’s next? Levitation mode?

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/12/24 12:23 PM

Ha, now motors ON the Poles. What’s next? Levitation mode?

You’re buying the wrong boat if boat buckles we’re an add on. Haha.

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/12/24 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
... You’re buying the wrong boat if boat buckles we’re an add on. Haha.

I'm a simple guy... When you fish as much as I do anything to make it easier is a must... Dan banana

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/12/24 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
... You’re buying the wrong boat if boat buckles we’re an add on. Haha.

I'm a simple guy... When you fish as much as I do anything to make it easier is a must... Dan banana

I had to put em on my original skeeter trailer. I’m just messin.

My new Skeeter trailer had em, but in the wrong spot! bang
So I added some bigger back up lights to the tabs and moved them to a mo betta spot. roflmao

Re: Mr Clunn's opinion. - 04/12/24 09:38 PM

[quote=SteezMacQueen... I had to put em on my original skeeter trailer. I’m just messin... [/quote]

thumb... Dan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum