Texas Fishing Forum

Fish hooked outside of the mouth

Posted By: slim 285

Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 01:35 AM

If a fish is hooked outside of the mouth during a professional tournament I think it should not count . Release the fish immediately.
Seems to be a lot caught with a jerk bait while using ffs.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by slim 285
If a fish is hooked outside of the mouth during a professional tournament I think it should not count . Release the fish immediately.

Have you ever used a jerkbait? I caught a few this week that looked like they hit a prop on their side.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 01:56 AM

Olds just can’t stand seeing the young guys win, first its FFS and now it’s foul hooking fish. crying

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

Have you ever used a jerkbait? I caught a few this week that looked like they hit a prop on their side.

Yes I have . I said in a professional tournament.
Posted By: Harleydude

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 02:03 AM

Have you never had a fish slap at a crank bait and get hung in the side? Feels just like a bite FFS or no FFS. Have you ever caught a fish on the stick of 1000 needles aka the jerk bait? Fish slap those and get hooked from head to tail sometimes.

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

Yes I have . I said in a professional tournament.

The problem is you can not have FFS on your boat and they still do that.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 03:01 PM

So you're thinking along the logic of the A-rig? They banned the use due to the extra hooks and damage it caused fish.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 03:16 PM

Dumb, just like all those monster California fish caught on Swimbaits long before FFS that guys had to release because of California’s state law.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 03:51 PM

I agree, while what Hamner did in the Classic was not as dishonest as what Mike Long did or even Jeff Sprague did rules need updating in the future making some of the fish he caught as non scoreable, weigh-able, can't add to your creel whatever you want to call it
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 03:53 PM

Glad you think you hold yourself to a higher standard...I, however, will continue to follow the rules..... grin roflmao
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

I agree, while what Hamner did in the Classic was not as dishonest as what Mike Long did or even Jeff Sprague did rules need updating in the future making some of the fish he caught as non scoreable, weigh-able, can't add to your creel whatever you want to call it

Making a mountain out of a molehill. Mentioning Hamner in same sentence as Mike Long is laughable.

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 04:00 PM

It wasn’t dishonest in anyway whatsoever. You guys are hilarious.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 04:15 PM

I believe that is the law in California. Maybe you can move there?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 04:19 PM

I’d say if the fish is hooked in the vicinity of the mouth, the fish was trying to eat the bait.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
So you're thinking along the logic of the A-rig? They banned the use due to the extra hooks and damage it caused fish.

The A rig and double fluke were banned because they are designed to catch multiple bass at a time.
Posted By: nfhbass

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 06:04 PM

I think every angler, tournament or fun fishing, would like to see the hook of their bait situated squarely in the fishes mouth when they go to land a fish. Its obvious that doesn’t always happen for various reasons.

No tournament angler is going to just throw a fish out because it wasn’t hooked where he would prefer it to be hooked.

Ron Nelson foul hooked several below a dam on lay lake at the recent redcrest, on camera he said he didn’t like it, and that he would prefer to have them hooked in the mouth. But he weighed them because he wasn’t breaking rules and he was there to win. I believe he was using a jig/minnow rig.

If the rules change, the anglers will change, and everyone will get over it. Hamner and Nelson weren’t sight fishing or breaking rules.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I’d say if the fish is hooked in the vicinity of the mouth, the fish was trying to eat the bait.

And don't forget they thrash around and fish. It may start in the mouth, end up under the mouth, top of head, side of head. If they were really able to snag I doubt they would all be throwing little crappie jig sized minnows on little hooks. It's just nonsense for people who don't have it and haven't used it to throw around

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/25/24 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
[quote=slim 285]If a fish is hooked outside of the mouth during a professional tournament I think it should not count . Release the fish immediately.

LW, I believe that is the law in California. Maybe you can move there? [/
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/26/24 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

LW, I believe that is the law in California. Maybe you can move there?

I think at best you have a s _ _ t for brains Dougie

Ok, I erased your initials when I just read your PM. So honestly I did not know that you needed to hide.

I was under the impression that you were a good guy with some integrity.

Sorry

Re: Fish hooked outside of the mouth - 03/26/24 01:12 AM

I am not taking anything away from Hamner . He looks and sounds like a fine young man that won fair and square .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum