Texas Fishing Forum

Question about a sickly bass on rayburn

Posted By: BrockstaRama

Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/24/24 03:23 PM

We were fishing yesterday and sick bass was swimming around with orange and almost peach colored growths on it. We didn't catch it or mess with it. Just observed it just swimming around struggling. I tried to video it so maybe someone can ID the infection. It looked ROUGH man. I pondered netting it for a closer inspection, maybe help it but I didn't even want it near my carpet with God knows what growing on it. So orangeish fungus? Any ideas? Heres the short
https://youtube.com/shorts/AOKSk5i9VVc?si=nFo-joSDQ0lUmJ27
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/24/24 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
We were fishing yesterday and sick bass was swimming around with orange and almost peach colored growths on it. We didn't catch it or mess with it. Just observed it just swimming around struggling. I tried to video it so maybe someone can ID the infection. It looked ROUGH man. I pondered netting it for a closer inspection, maybe help it but I didn't even want it near my carpet with God knows what growing on it. So orangeish fungus? Any ideas? Heres the short
https://youtube.com/shorts/AOKSk5i9VVc?si=nFo-joSDQ0lUmJ27

Saw one about 7-8 pounds a week ago on Limestone. It swam into my trolling motor shaft. It was definitely confused and not doing too good. All spotted up looking like you described.

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/24/24 03:43 PM

Later we came back to the area and an juvi eagle chased a crow off a fish on shore that definitely wasn't there earlier and looked like it was that bass. Well while that eagle was inspecting it a larger mature bald eagle ran that one off. Then it took a few looks at that bass and flew off after not even taking a bite. The other 2 birds returned to the fish after it left and did the same thing. Landed looked and took off. Though pretty sure the crow pecked its eyes out before it took off.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/24/24 03:50 PM

Maybe you should contact TPWD with your video & description.

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/24/24 03:55 PM

Good call. On it
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/24/24 04:00 PM

Do you know any people who have became ill or striken with a disease?

In any population of living creatures a segment will always be ill, diseased and dying at any given moment.

Part of the cycle
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/24/24 04:05 PM

They get sick, injured, infection just like everything else in nature. The aren't magical creatures.

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/24/24 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
They get sick, injured, infection just like everything else in nature. The aren't magical creatures.

Thats exactly why i asked. I'd like to know more about the condition just out of scientific curiosity.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 01:07 AM

Possibly beat up from spawning, another larger fish could have tried to eat it or a release fish from a tournament. Sometimes if the slime coat on the fish gets rubbed off allowing for sores or bacteria growth to get on them. Water quality is sometimes a determining factor as well, have seen aquarium fish get the ick,(spelling)
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 11:03 AM

We saw one with the exact same spots this past weekend. Definitely something i havent seen on rayburn before. What area of the lake were you in? We were up around san aug. It didnt look like any sores ive seen from spawning or swimming around brush, it was all over the fishs body and you could tell it wasnt well at all. Even with normal sores the fish are active, this one could barely move it seemed like, just staying right under the surface
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 03:33 PM

Radiation burns from ffs?
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 03:34 PM

pinged pond disease
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 03:45 PM

On the latest episode of intuitive angling….😆
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 03:51 PM

i'm betting on tournament fish released.
Posted By: doctorb

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by blackhorse
i'm betting on tournament fish released.

Actually I think this is very likely to be the case
Posted By: skeeterokc

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 10:23 PM

Climate change.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/26/24 11:30 PM

Trump caused it if it was orange.
Posted By: BobCobb

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/27/24 12:27 AM

😎
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/28/24 02:12 AM

Likely a saprolignia fungal infection. It's a common water mold that can overcome fish weakened by injury or chronic stress that compromises immune defense, especially during the cooler months fall-spring. Usually not something to be overly concerned about, healthy fish don't get infected like that. TPWD does appreciate when you report diseased fish though.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/28/24 12:45 PM

good call !
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/28/24 01:08 PM

Also I hear the bass are hybridizing with released koi fish causing a weak orange colored offspring. Invasive species are the bane to nature.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/28/24 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
Also I hear the bass are hybridizing with released koi fish causing a weak orange colored offspring. Invasive species are the bane to nature.

[Linked Image]

It started with the possums

Re: Question about a sickly bass on rayburn - 03/28/24 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoordude
Likely a saprolignia fungal infection. It's a common water mold that can overcome fish weakened by injury or chronic stress that compromises immune defense, especially during the cooler months fall-spring. Usually not something to be overly concerned about, healthy fish don't get infected like that. TPWD does appreciate when you report diseased fish though.

Yep sent them the info, description and vid
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum