Texas Fishing Forum

Ordering a jack plate

Posted By: backatit

Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 06:54 PM

Atlas vs Bobs. Share your Thoughts
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 07:01 PM

I've got an Atlas, only problem I've had is a relay went out. Simple fix but pricey due to having to buy a harness as an assembly.

With that said, most will choose and support the Bob's.
Posted By: HDVS

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 07:16 PM

My atlas is 4 yrs old and has been great. I haven't had a bob's in yrs but they make a good product.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
I've got an Atlas, only problem I've had is a relay went out. Simple fix but pricey due to having to buy a harness as an assembly.

Also got an Atlas as that's what the MFG suggested when I purchased the boat. I also had the relay fail, I got lucky that it was within the 3 year warranty. They sent me a replacement free of charge. The relay is a common issue and several have replaced their relays with a homemade version with serviceable relays. If it happens again, I'll buy the replacement kit as it's very easy to replace, but it is expensive.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 07:55 PM

put a bob's hydraulic 8" on the champion, did not even consider atlas or cmc/thc marine.

got it thru steve at s2 marine (also hydrodynamics jack plates) and had him install.

if you want a manual, call steve, best manual on the market by far.

https://www.hydrodynamics-usa.com/
Posted By: backatit

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 09:13 PM

Should have specified. Hydraulic 10”
Posted By: IRBF2

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 10:19 PM

Had a Bob's on my BassCat for 15 years with zero problems. Works great!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 10:37 PM

Had a 10" Atlas on my last boat for almost 5 years before I sold it. Current rig is 6 years old and had a 10" Atlas as well. Neither have given me any problems.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/10/23 11:52 PM

I've had Bob's on my last 3 boats and not one problem... My brother has had Bob's on his last 3 also and no problems... Dan
Posted By: mskeeter

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/11/23 12:03 AM

I have never had a hydraulic jack plate or even been in the boat with one. Do they make a enough of a difference for the price? If yes, how? Just handling or more speed?

Thanks
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/11/23 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by mskeeter
I have never had a hydraulic jack plate or even been in the boat with one. Do they make a enough of a difference for the price? If yes, how? Just handling or more speed?

Thanks

For me it allows me to run in skinnier water, I can idle through stump fields with less motor down in the thick of it, and also makes for quick adjustments when running during certain conditions. Yes, they provide more handling, allow for the operator to adjust for speed, and allow for ability to raise out of danger.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/11/23 01:55 AM

It makes a difference on high performance hulls. I lower mine for a better hole shot then raise on the fly to get the most out of both the boat and the engine... I had one on my Stratos 210 Elite and it didn't make a bit of difference, I should have stayed with the manual plate... Dan
Posted By: Dax Davis

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/11/23 11:12 PM

The bobs is much stronger and faster up and down. I took the atlas off my skeeter and put a bobs on and i will never use another jackplate.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Ordering a jack plate - 08/12/23 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
Originally Posted by mskeeter

Thanks

For me it allows me to run in skinnier water, I can idle through stump fields with less motor down in the thick of it, and also makes for quick adjustments when running during certain conditions. Yes, they provide more handling, allow for the operator to adjust for speed, and allow for ability to raise out of danger.

this ^ ^ ^ fishing fork without a hydraulic can cost you a lower when you get in the stump fields.

low water pickup/hydraulic jp and you can run with almost half the prop out of the water, not for long but it can be done.

a lot too depends on hull design, a boat with good power and hull can get up to max performance pretty easy, I can run my champion with only about a foot or less in the water on pad, they can get squirrelly quick when you do that tho. think of it as making your pivot point behind pad instead of right at it, your engine gets better leverage to lift the hull. just have to match setback to the hull.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum