Texas Fishing Forum

Recognize this lure?

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Recognize this lure? - 05/06/23 10:36 PM

Any history or feedback on these?

Came across 6 of them. All never fished and in perfect shape.

They worth trying?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/06/23 10:45 PM

caught a lot of fish on these spinnerbaits back in 60's and 70's....wasn't any national brands of spinnerbaits that I'm aware of until tournament bass fishing got started...
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/06/23 10:55 PM

What beartrap said. I have a friend who still catches lots of bass on them in the spring. Also, perfect stock pond spinner bait.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/06/23 11:58 PM

H and H spinner. Great old timer!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 12:27 AM

A lot of stores had a display of them stapled on a large poster board. You pulled the ones off that you wanted. They were dirt cheap even back then.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 12:54 AM

Surely you are kidding? What planet were you born on.?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:11 AM

The double blade is interesting, but I have used many of the single blade. Great pond bait in East Texas
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:19 AM

Ain't no way you don't know about H&H spinnerbaits. That's like not knowing about a beetle spin. No damn way.. I grew up throwing the black/chartreuse double Colorado in the trinity River bottom sloughs and ponds down here. Smashed everything that swam.

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

Earth. Duh.

First spinnerbait I was aware of was Terminator. That knowledge only came from watching Roland Martin or Bill Dance or some such angler on TNN when I was like 10.

Since then I have fished about every modern spinnerbait out there. Big fan of war eagles. Those are all I mess with now... especially the ones with the hammered blades.

Finding these, and them having the hammered blades got my interest up. I may change the skirts on them for custom hand-made ones my buddy makes.

See if these old dogs will still hunt.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by basscaster46

Earth. Duh.

First spinnerbait I was aware of was Terminator. That knowledge only came from watching Roland Martin or Bill Dance or some such angler on TNN when I was like 10.

Since then I have fished about every modern spinnerbait out there. Big fan of war eagles. Those are all I mess with now... especially the ones with the hammered blades.

Finding these, and them having the hammered blades got my interest up. I may change the skirts on them for custom hand-made ones my buddy makes.

See if these old dogs will still hunt.

They were like $1.19ea for years
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:32 AM

Iconic bait. And if you mixed them in tackle box with a couple plastic worms you got a big mess
Posted By: leebayou

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:37 AM

When I was a kid (early 1960's) these sold for 19 cents. They were stapled to a piece of cardboard about 20 H&H bait for each display, and you just pealed off the bait(s) you desired. The only spinnerbait that I recall at that time. Another great bait during this period was the Herb's Dilly, an early version of todays buzz bait. Been a while.
Posted By: teamron

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:47 AM

My mom would buy me those at Skaggs Albertsons in the early 70's just to shut me up. Slung them on my 202. Oh those where the day's.

I think they were created on the 8th day yes
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 02:03 AM

Yes; keep those h+h skirts separate from everything else.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Any history or feedback on these?

Came across 6 of them. All never fished and in perfect shape.

They worth trying?

[Linked Image]

Has to be one of the most fish catching baits ever produced.
I’ve used them since I was a little turd jumping my uncles farm ponds and many trips on east Texas lakes growing up in the best decade ever… the 80s
You could buy a couple pockets full of them for $10.00 and like others said, you learned real quick, the skirts would do some crazy stuff in a tackle box if not separated from other baits LOL

If bass fishing lures had a hall of fame induction, the Creme plastic worm might be first, but the H&H would be right there behind it…
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 04:47 AM

cheers Man takes me back to my teens. Caught a load of bass on em. One memorable spring [ late 60 's att T wok me, Dad , Friends Tom Sr.& jr. caught bass till we couldn't cast anymore. Wore out and i was like 16yrs old. Same on R. hubb In the spring . Way before there were homes everywhere. My p.b. Was from T Wok 7/14lbs.. I NEED to find those pics.. Congrats on the baits.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 11:34 AM

Going to show my age. H&H spinnerbaits were 25cents at GIBSONS DISCOUNT STORES on the sporting goods isle sitting next to the Little George tail spinners! As a kid even I could come up with a quarter for an H&H. Great spinnerbaits(still for sale) and yes the skirts would instantly start to melt if they were sitting anywhere close to a plastic worm. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 12:16 PM

And don't forget to attach the hooks before starting to fish.

If you don't, you'll get a lot of strikes and never hook up. Been there, Done that!

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Hopper
And don't forget to attach the hooks before starting to fish.

If you don't, you'll get a lot of strikes and never hook up. Been there, Done that!

Of course!

It seems as though back in the day fishing lures where a some assembly required product. I think that the way the hook kind of swings Loosely would be an advantage when fighting a fish. Would be harder for them to get leverage on you maybe..

Thank you everybody for the insight and great stories. I'm looking forward to giving these a try. I've got a few other old time interesting baits that came out of that same find I'll probably post about at some point soon.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 12:40 PM

Slays them on WRL, Ray Roberts, and Grapevine.
Posted By: Barbers Tree

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 12:50 PM

My dad used to buy them on the cards to at Army/Navy store in Haltom City. Used to wackem at all the stock tanks and Denton creek, we could ride to on our bicycles in Tarrant Co when we were growing up.
I still keep a few in my truck door pocket for just in case.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:07 PM

This may come as a surprise but as a guide I still use them today, and we catch lots of fish on them !

I grew up with these pond fishing and caught lots of fish on them even to this day.

Single White with a Colorado blade during a shad spawn is Awesome.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:12 PM

I caught many, many fish on them in the past. The ones I still have do not have the original skirts on them. They are long gone.
Posted By: davidsears

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:28 PM

[img]http://[/img] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They catch more than bass. I've caught smallmouth, pike and musky like this one, wade fishing in the UP, Michigan. Academy has been selling them for several years. Musky was released and swam off safe and sound.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:29 PM

When I was a kid you could buy them for 25 cents a piece. I threw a lot of them growing up but the strange part is I don't think I've ever caught a single fish off one, never had one even slap at it. They still make them and I've seen them in bait shops and convenience stores near lakes recently.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:30 PM

Back in the early 60's I got up early to get ready for school and my dad would be up and listening to the farm and ranch report and they always gave the fishing reports for the area lakes. Just about every morning you heard....."Most bass caught on Purple Tarantulas, and H&H spinners!"
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:34 PM

One of the first lures I ever gain confidence in. A H&H spinnerbait and a Luck-E-Strike black/grape fire tail worm accounted for the bulk of my childhood fishing.

I caught the biggest crappie of my life when I was around 12 on a red/white H&H spinnerbait.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Going to show my age. H&H spinnerbaits were 25cents at GIBSONS DISCOUNT STORES on the sporting goods isle sitting next to the Little George tail spinners! As a kid even I could come up with a quarter for an H&H. Great spinnerbaits(still for sale) and yes the skirts would instantly start to melt if they were sitting anywhere close to a plastic worm. [Linked Image]

thumb
Posted By: D1988

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 02:54 PM

My zebco 33 a pocket full of H&H's and we would hit the creeks all day long. We caught tons of fish. The good old days when everyone would let you fish on there property. No worries.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 05:08 PM

That takes me back. When I was a kid growing up in Garland there was a Spartan Atlantic near me. I would ride my bike up there. The Gibson's was a few miles so out of my reach on my bike. I would buy H&H spinners for 25 cents for the single spin and 35 cents for the double spin.

Gosh that makes me feel old..... ugh

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 05:11 PM

Good Lord they are still in business!

https://www.hhlure.com/
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 05:11 PM

I missed out on the 70s, but those skirts left melted skirt marks in every tackle box I owned throughout the 80s and 90s.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 05:20 PM

When we first caught a big bunch of fish on them we thought there were really a magic bait.
It was in the mid 60's on a point at Lake Mead, from the bank fishing in the evening. We started catching them real good one evening just before sundown and between the three of us we had a whole ice chest full of fish that were 2-3 pounds. For Mead that was huge.

We did it twice in a row during the summer and thought it was just going to keep going every time we went back but after those two trips they never came back the same.
We were using the black and white ones.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 07:32 PM

I used to go to the old AFTMA shows back in the 80's & early 90's. I had the fortune to meet Mr. Humphrey. He was a real gentleman & a pleasure to talk to.
We sold thousands of his baits over the years.

I caught plenty of fish on them when I was a kid in the gravel pits around Irving.

I used to tell parents that had small children to tie one on for them, but don't put the hook on em. Pretty safe way to let a little one to chunk a 202 & not get a hook in themselves or Mom/Dad.
Posted By: PAULS

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 08:30 PM

I am about to turn 70. Started using these when 1st started bass fishing in mid 60's. Fished many east Texas ponds and and don't know how many fish i caught of them.
First used on Lake of Pines when just opened. Caught fish almost every cast. Also in 1970 when Toledo Bend was new. Lost count of all the fish on 2 different weekends there in spring. All the big lake trips were in our 14' aluminum boat with 25 hp Johnson. Bought them at a couple of sporting goods stores on Jefferson Blvd in Dallas. Can't remember names. Would stock up when 5 for $1.
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 08:48 PM

Brings back great memories of Gibson's and K-mart back in the 70s

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by PAULS
I am about to turn 70. Started using these when 1st started bass fishing in mid 60's. Fished many east Texas ponds and and don't know how many fish i caught of them.
First used on Lake of Pines when just opened. Caught fish almost every cast. Also in 1970 when Toledo Bend was new. Lost count of all the fish on 2 different weekends there in spring. All the big lake trips were in our 14' aluminum boat with 25 hp Johnson. Bought them at a couple of sporting goods stores on Jefferson Blvd in Dallas. Can't remember names. Would stock up when 5 for $1.

That would have been Smitty's
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by HookaToad
Brings back great memories of Gibson's and K-mart back in the 70s

There is still a Gibsons in Weatherford....
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 09:37 PM

greatest spinner bait ever
Posted By: Fishingfox

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/07/23 11:55 PM

These would catch fish almost anywhere, but especially in farm ponds and tanks. It was good they were cheap because those snap on double hooks would hang up bad!
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/08/23 12:10 PM

Between those and my dads Herbs Dilly baits thats how I grew up fishing as a young boy.
Posted By: Slacklinedime

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/08/23 01:07 PM

My grandpa owned an auto repair shop and a guy came in from out of town with his car not running right, found it was just a bad plug wire put a used one on it to get him down the road. He told my grandpa he was a traveling salesman that sold fishing stuff and he was short on cash so he gave grandpa 2 displays of H&H spinners for payment. They sat for years on the counter $1.50 for 1 $2.25 for 2 or 1 free with an oil change. My cousin and I would snag 2 or 3 and go fishing then put them back in the bag after so grandpa wouldn't know we took them LOL.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/08/23 01:13 PM

Great go to bait. thumb
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/08/23 06:32 PM

No dimples on the lead head. Original original.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/08/23 06:54 PM

I have caught plenty on them in the past.
Posted By: Strugglebus

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/08/23 07:21 PM

I would switch out the blade with a copper one, and chartreuse the tip of the white skirt. Still my favorite lure when I am fishing the Hill Country creeks! The Spotted bass love them!
Posted By: Paps

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/09/23 01:49 AM

Great lure. My Grandad and I caught so many fish on these it’s insane.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/09/23 03:30 AM

Used to load up on those and maribou jigs when visiting my grandparents in the Ouchita mountains every summer as a kid-Those smallmouth/largemouth Bass and goggle eyes went nuts over them.
Posted By: Bassjiggin1955

Re: Recognize this lure? - 05/09/23 05:01 AM

You can still make the body's in 1/4oz 3/8oz & 1/2oz.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum