Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Farfield-SAVED

Posted By: Verkeith

Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/20/23 10:27 PM

I am thrilled to share with you the exciting news that the legislation I authored to preserve Fairfield Lake State Park in Freestone County has passed unanimously in the Texas House of Representatives. This is a huge victory for our community and for the protection of this beloved State Park, which welcomes 80,000 visitors a year and is a point of pride for our county.

As you may remember, the State of Texas has invested $70 million in the preservation and operation of this beautiful natural resource. With the passage of House Bill 4757, Texas Parks and Wildlife now has the power and authority to ensure that this state park will continue to be preserved for generations to come.

I want to give a special shout out to Chairman Cody Harris, Chairman Trent Ashby, Chairman Greg Bonnen and Chairman Dustin Borrows who all joined me in authoring this legislation and helped to build the momentum we needed to get it passed. Thank you to all who supported this effort and worked tirelessly to make it a reality!

With this passage, our bill now heads over to the Texas Senate and then on to the Governor’s desk for his signature!

I will continue to keep you updated on the progress of this legislation and its journey through the Texas Legislature. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your dedication to preserving our community's treasures.

Sincerely,

Angelia Orr

Conservative State Representative
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/20/23 10:49 PM

I just got the email as well but I will believe when the bill gets signed, Vistra gets their payment and the developer gets his piece too.

But I take it as very good news.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/20/23 10:55 PM

Great news. Definitely a step in the right direction but don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch.

But lord I hope Texas comes to their senses and realize all OUR taxpayer money has been taking care of and stocking that lake.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/20/23 11:19 PM

Where will they get the 110 million to buy the land from Todd Interest?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/20/23 11:22 PM

By: Orr H.B. No. 4757

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the preservation of Fairfield Lake State Park.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter Q, Chapter 22, Parks and Wildlife
Code, is amended by adding Section 22.230 to read as follows:
SUBCHAPTER Q: FAIRFIELD LAKE STATE PARK
Sec. 22.230. PRESERVATION OF FAIRFIELD LAKE STATE PARK.
(a) The legislature finds that:
(1) in the year of the centennial celebration of Texas
State Parks, the state has a vested interest in preserving and
protecting state parks operated by Parks and Wildlife Department;
(2) Fairfield Lake is one of the premier recreational
lakes in the state.
(b) Any application for a permit amendment pertaining to Big
Brown Creek and/or Fairfield Lake, in the Trinity River Basin of
Freestone County shall also require Texas Parks and Wildlife
Commission approval.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
Act takes effect September 1, 2023.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/20/23 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by pchapin
Where will they get the 110 million to buy the land from Todd Interest?

They've already got it, laws were changed not long ago on allocation and access to sporting goods tax funds that can be used by TPWD.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/20/23 11:30 PM

banana bannana2 breakdance dance2
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/21/23 12:41 AM

Am I correct in assuming that if the State Park remains open, so do the ramps and lake access by boat?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/21/23 12:48 AM

I think it's not saved as it has to pass the senate and the governor sign.... plus I would expect some court action etc.....
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/21/23 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI
I think it's not saved as it has to pass the senate and the governor sign.... plus I would expect some court action etc.....

The Governor has said he will sign so passing the senate should easy. The only way I will believe it is until all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed.
Posted By: DaveS

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/21/23 02:24 AM

Why can't we get some help with Monticello? Make it part of Bob Sandlin State Park. Happy for the Fairfield folks...
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/21/23 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by DaveS
Why can't we get some help with Monticello? Make it part of Bob Sandlin State Park. Happy for the Fairfield folks...

It was never a state park and isn't relevant to the state park.

It was controlled by Titus county, maybe they can do something to reopen it.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/21/23 04:10 AM

Sad thing is Monty is such an easier problem to solve. Hell when it was on the honor system that box was always stuffed full on envelopes. If they needed the money why not just empty the damn box.
Posted By: HDVS

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/21/23 02:14 PM

Don't worry Biden's 30 by 30 executive order will come to the rescue. Problem is they are going to try to take ur privately owned property also. We are already starting the fight here in Oklahoma with the Chisolm trail and surrounding land. It went unnoticed till they just began funding it with $2 billion hid in another bill. It's for equity, diversity and climate change they say! Oh and they also get all water and minerals rights when they name it as federally protected. They say they want to protect 30% of the property in the US by 2030 that's why it's called the 30 by 30 order.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 01:08 AM

I’m confused, so y’all are in favor of stealing someone’s property under eminent domain? So y’all can fish?

Guess what’s next.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by shotgunwilly
I’m confused, so y’all are in favor of stealing someone’s property under eminent domain? So y’all can fish?

Guess what’s next.

Stealing? The state has put a lot of money into the state park. Also eminent domain happens a lot. Look at Jerry World or the toll roads around the metro mass.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by coachallentca

Guess what’s next.

Stealing? The state has put a lot of money into the state park. Also eminent domain happens a lot. Look at Jerry World or the toll roads around the metro mass.

Yes, stealing. I'm also against them taking the land for Jerry World and the toll roads. I love Fairfield but hate them using eminent domain
Posted By: tx6158

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 02:26 AM

Overreach of government. The State and all of us had our chance to buy it (although most of us couldn’t pool enough money together for a small percentage of the money). The State spent OUR money leasing. Yes it was a lot, but have any of you considered how much was spent leasing over time vs buying outright in the beginning and maintaining?
Just because you lease a property for years doesn’t give you the right to supersede a sell of the property that you failed to execute on.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 02:39 AM

I don’t care I want to fish period.
What ever it takes is ok by me.
Posted By: 44carbine

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by tx6158
Overreach of government. The State and all of us had our chance to buy it (although most of us couldn’t pool enough money together for a small percentage of the money). The State spent OUR money leasing. Yes it was a lot, but have any of you considered how much was spent leasing over time vs buying outright in the beginning and maintaining?
Just because you lease a property for years doesn’t give you the right to supersede a sell of the property that you failed to execute on.

The state never spent a dime leasing the park, it was free the whole time. The 72 million is the total spent on infastructure,maintenance and salaries.
Posted By: tx6158

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 03:12 AM

Interesting. Thank you for the info. Hard to believe the lessor would agree to that, although not totally unbelievable when politics are in place. Crazy that both sides would agree to that. Still doesn’t take away the fact that the opportunity was there to buy it and a better offer was made.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by coachallentca

Guess what’s next.

The state invested money on someone else's property knowing they were leasing it.
Now that someone bought the property they, by legislation, want to require that the new owners keep the lake under state control.

I don't see how that is anything but wrong.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/HB04757H.PDF
They are not using eminent domain here. They are passing a law that will not allow the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to approve any request by the new owner on the lakes water rights AND that the new owner is required to keep the lake open the way it has been.
The bill does not purchase the property if I am reading it right. They pretty much are legislating that the properties value will drop and they can't use it the way it was bought to do.

Big brother is in town and there is no other way to describe it IMO.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 01:52 PM

[/quote]

The state invested money on someone else's property knowing they were leasing it.
Now that someone bought the property they, by legislation, want to require that the new owners keep the lake under state control.

I don't see how that is anything but wrong.
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/HB04757H.PDF
They are not using eminent domain here. They are passing a law that will not allow the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to approve any request by the new owner on the lakes water rights AND that the new owner is required to keep the lake open the way it has been.
The bill does not purchase the property if I am reading it right. They pretty much are legislating that the properties value will drop and they can't use it the way it was bought to do.

Big brother is in town and there is no other way to describe it IMO.
[/quote]

I think you are reading more into it than it says. There is nothing in there that says the park stays open. There is nothing in there that says the new owners must continue leasing to Texas Parks and Wildlife. There is nothing in there that says the new owners must sell the property to the state.
Posted By: bassdude10

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

I hope someone steals your boat

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 02:24 PM

I think you are reading more into it than it says. There is nothing in there that says the park stays open. There is nothing in there that says the new owners must continue leasing to Texas Parks and Wildlife. There is nothing in there that says the new owners must sell the property to the state.

(2)A provides for the preservation of the historical public access to and uses and waterlevels of Fairfield Lake.

I read this as requiring that they leave it as it is. Public use in boating and camping.

Above it also says the state cannot approve any water use application that the new owners have already filed for.
They have to leave it open as always and can’t change the lake.

I did not say they require selling it.
If the bill passes I can see a big lawsuit on two points.
One on the state requiring a private land owner to provide services that they don't want to do and the other on the way the owners are being singled out on water rights.

I also hope as a way to protest the state, if they do keep it they should allow overnight camping at $500 a night and boat ramp access for $200.

Posted By: forkduc

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 03:09 PM

There is a ramp on Monticello that accesses Sandlin.
Although not part of the State Park.
Posted By: DaveS

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 09:17 PM

That ramp into Sandlin is in the Luminant owned "Titus County" park. Even if you could get past the locked gate, the ramp itself is completely unusable (blocked off and deteriorated)

The state would either have to buy the lake from Luminant or work out a deal to enable Texas citizens to access their resource via the park (instead of just the bridge). My earlier comment was just a potential scenario to connect it to the current Sandlin State Park infrastructure (passes, authority, maintenance, etc.)
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 10:03 PM

The guys who dOnT lIkE emimNatnt DoMain have never caught them good on Fairfield. Because if you had they kind of days I have had out there you would slab your grandma to fish that lake again.
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 10:09 PM

If Eminent domain was ever used right. This is the time. Eminent domain never favors the working man. It has always favored the wealthy or powerful. In this instance I'm all for it.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by bassdude10

I hope someone steals your boat

It’s insured come get it I need to upgrade lol

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
The guys who dOnT lIkE emimNatnt DoMain have never caught them good on Fairfield. Because if you had they kind of days I have had out there you would slab your grandma to fish that lake again.

That’s what I’m saying one of the best lakes around. Abought time something went right in this f ed up country.
J. D stir
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/22/23 10:38 PM

…..then why did the lady at the park entrance say it’s closing again, in May 16th?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Allison1

(2)A provides for the preservation of the historical public access to and uses and waterlevels of Fairfield Lake.

I read this as requiring that they leave it as it is. Public use in boating and camping.

Above it also says the state cannot approve any water use application that the new owners have already filed for.
They have to leave it open as always and can’t change the lake.

You got that from2.

(2) Fairfield Lake is one of the premier recreational
lakes in the state.
(b) Any application for a permit amendment pertaining to Big
Brown Creek and/or Fairfield Lake, in the Trinity River Basin of
Freestone County shall also require Texas Parks and Wildlife
Commission approval.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 12:33 AM

I have been fishing and camping there since before you were born. I've had some monster days out there and tons of awesome memories. I still don't like the government stealing property
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 12:43 AM

Milliken will be happy, it’s one of his little secrets!

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by forkduc
There is a ramp on Monticello that accesses Sandlin.
Although not part of the State Park.

Negative, ramp no longer exists
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 01:28 PM

Guessing we’re talking about the ramp to Bob Sandlin that was inside Titus County Park where we (used to) access Lake Monticello? Few used the ramp on Sandlin. Time flys! The earth is reclaiming all the ramps! Well thanks for ruining my day with “memories of what WAS”! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] Ramp(s) on Monticello in Titus County Park:
[Linked Image] Ramp on Sandlin in Titus County Park:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 01:35 PM

Never fished Fairfield but this is good news. It's on my bucket list, knocking them off at about one to two a year.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Guessing we’re talking about the ramp to Bob Sandlin that was inside Titus County Park where we (used to) access Lake Monticello? Few used the ramp on Sandlin. Time flys! The earth is reclaiming all the ramps! Well thanks for ruining my day with “memories of what WAS”! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] Ramp(s) on Monticello in Titus County Park:
[Linked Image] Ramp on Sandlin in Titus County Park:
[Linked Image]

It looks as if they used a backhoe on the ramp in the back of of Monticello cove.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

It looks as if they used a backhoe on the ramp in the back of of Monticello cove.

The lake is low in those pics. I can see the normal shoreline.
Monti used to be about 4 foot higher than Bob Sandlin. I wonder if they let the two lakes equalize now that there is no need to feed a power plant.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/23/23 07:44 PM

I wonder if they let the two lakes equalize now that there is no need to feed a power plant.

Affirmative

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 04:41 PM

So the government that always picks special interest groups, lobbyist and large corporations over the average working man is going to possibly do something positive that would make your life better.......... But you don't want it because its "stealing" the government is the king daddy of all the thieves out there you should be happy they even considered "stealing" something for you rather than "stealing" from you.

I guess if they decided to take away a billionaires bass boat and give it to you, you would turn it down...… some of yall are so full of shhit you cant hear yourselves talk.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 05:02 PM

So the government that always picks special interest groups, lobbyist and large corporations over the average working man is going to possibly do something positive that would make your life better.......... But you don't want it because its "stealing" the government is the king daddy of all the thieves out there you should be happy they even considered "stealing" something for you rather than "stealing" from you.

I guess if they decided to take away a billionaires bass boat and give it to you, you would turn it down...… some of yall are so full of shhit you cant hear yourselves talk.

One of the dumbest comments I’ve ever read on here. This shows who you really are. I absolutely would not take a stolen boat because I’m not a worthless piece of [censored].

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 05:02 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 05:29 PM

Guess what’s next.

Is it really stealing if they are paying for it? But yes, this is a good summary. I love that little lake and I'm fine with the state stepping in to keep access to the lake open to the public. I'm not sure what kind of a terrible person that makes me, but I'm okay with it.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 05:36 PM

The developer still hasn’t closed on the property so they are buying it from a public utility company. Not exactly stealing in my book.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
The developer still hasn’t closed on the property so they are buying it from a public utility company. Not exactly stealing in my book.

It’s not “stolen”, nor is it “saved”. It’s still closing to the public. Just moved back a month or so.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 05:38 PM

So is the white NB crew in favor or opposed to keeping Fairfield state park public?
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Stealing is stealing.
Just because it fits the narrative for you (this time) doesn't make it right.
I'm glad they may "save" Fairfield but they crapped the bed when they didn't move on it quickly and, in my opinion, would not have moved on it if there hadn't been such a public outcry.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 06:12 PM

So is the white NB crew in favor or opposed to keeping Fairfield state park public?

Final agreement has been reached that only the NB crew are “grandfathered” into unfettered access to the lake indefinitely (including the outflow basin). yes
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 06:14 PM

Well, I guess I need to go when it opens again. Seems all these fits from others has raised my interest in heading that way.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 06:19 PM

Where did you see the state is buying it? The house bill referenced just says the state is going to deny permit requests that would restrict public access. It looks like they are just going to kill the value of the property with regulatory BS and not even purchase it.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/24/23 06:32 PM

Where did you see the state is buying it? The house bill referenced just says the state is going to deny permit requests that would restrict public access. It looks like they are just going to kill the value of the property with regulatory BS and not even purchase it.

Lovie and Thurston Howell are appalled when bass fishing commoners destroy the ambience at their exclusive estate. Going out on the water trying to catch fish in plain view...how coarse.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
[quote=Chris B]The developer still hasn’t closed on the property so they are buying it from a public utility company. Not exactly stealing in my book.

It’s not “stolen”, nor is it “saved”. It’s still closing to the public. Just moved back a month or so.

So what’s the point of the legislation then if it passing does not keep the park open? I have been very confused on how the bill that was actually pushed through keeps the park open.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Razorback

Lovie and Thurston Howell are appalled when bass fishing commoners destroy the ambience at their exclusive estate. Going out on the water trying to catch fish in plain view...how coarse.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 03:05 AM

One of the dumbest comments I’ve ever read on here. This shows who you really are. I absolutely would not take a stolen boat because I’m not a worthless piece of [censored].

Good to hear that you’re not a pice of [censored] you’re just an idiot. It’s amazing how some of y’all see this as black and white, nothing is black and white these days.

The government stole your tax dollars for your entire life without your consent then they put some of that money into an investment for the TAX payers and now it’s being taken away from you…… but you wanna talk about how the state forcing the owners to sell the land to them is “stealing”.

Was it stupid for the government to do that with your money? Investing it into something they never owned. Yes of course it was stupid. The government is filled to the brim with stupid people doing stupid stuff. But instead of correcting this issue you would rather them let it get sold and turned into something that most of us will be never be able to use again. Why would you want that? You want the tax payers to be punished because of the governments stupidity? For what purpose? Just so you can feel good that the government didn’t “steal” the big guys investment property…..

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 12:44 PM

Good to hear that you’re not a pice of [censored] you’re just an idiot. It’s amazing how some of y’all see this as black and white, nothing is black and white these days.

The government stole your tax dollars for your entire life without your consent then they put some of that money into an investment for the TAX payers and now it’s being taken away from you…… but you wanna talk about how the state forcing the owners to sell the land to them is “stealing”.

Was it stupid for the government to do that with your money? Investing it into something they never owned. Yes of course it was stupid. The government is filled to the brim with stupid people doing stupid stuff. But instead of correcting this issue you would rather them let it get sold and turned into something that most of us will be never be able to use again. Why would you want that? You want the tax payers to be punished because of the governments stupidity? For what purpose? Just so you can feel good that the government didn’t “steal” the big guys investment property…..

It is black and white. The bill introduced is a direct attack on private property rights. It’s pathetic that it would pass and have support in a conservative state. Private property rights are fundamental rights, without them we have nothing. This should scare the [censored] out of y’all, instead you have a bunch of hillbilly [censored] fishermen cheering for massive government overreach so they can keep fishing a lake that they have no rights to.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 01:39 PM

How many people are going to lose their land and homes if the state passes legislation that allows the park to remain open? Are there generations who grew up cultivating the land, tending to pets and livestock, raising children, and living in family homesteads all around Lake Fairfield, folks who will now be uprooted because the state is taking their property from them?

No, all of these homes and all this property are concepts right now, geographic shapes on a topo map. Break into singing Rain On The Scarecrow if it makes you feel better, but no one is having his home stolen by the state. The people who might have eventually lived there don't even know they may have lived there yet.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 01:56 PM

LOL.

All these scenarios that totally ignore what is happening.
Some don't give a care so long as the lake stays open. I understand them.
The people who are reaching to explain how its ok for the state to enter the scene after the deal was done, your hypocrisy has no bounds.

The power plant stopped business 5 years ago. The plant was taken down and the property put up for sale.
It took several years for an offer to be accepted and another 6 months before the state became interested.
We know the way the state is doing this deal. The legislated that the lake cannot be used unless they keep the lake open as it has been for decades. The sellers and prospective buyers either have to sue the state, drop out of the sale or take it and do something else with the property.

Low down no good dirty dealing state legislature IMO.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 02:02 PM

How many people are going to lose their land and homes if the state passes legislation that allows the park to remain open? Are there generations who grew up cultivating the land, tending to pets and livestock, raising children, and living in family homesteads all around Lake Fairfield, folks who will now be uprooted because the state is taking their property from them?

No, all of these homes and all this property are concepts right now, geographic shapes on a topo map. Break into singing Rain On The Scarecrow if it makes you feel better, but no one is having his home stolen by the state. The people who might have eventually lived there don't even know they may have lived there yet.

So you are saying that the rule of law and property rights shouldn’t apply to everyone equally? We should pick and choose and if it’s an evil rich person or corporation who is getting screwed then it’s okay? You don’t see a slippery slope with that sort of precedent?

We are a constitutional republic because our founding fathers didn’t want democracy. In a constitutional republic rights are protected, in a democracy a mob can vote to steal from others. Congrats on being part of the mob!

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 02:16 PM

So you are saying that the rule of law and property rights shouldn’t apply to everyone equally? We should pick and choose and if it’s an evil rich person or corporation who is getting screwed then it’s okay? You don’t see a slippery slope with that sort of precedent?

We are a constitutional republic because our founding fathers didn’t want democracy. In a constitutional republic rights are protected, in a democracy a mob can vote to steal from others. Congrats on being part of the mob!

The concept isn't exactly new. Do you think there were people who owned land where lakes, interstate highways, airports, and other public infrastructure are now? Smith County is about to build a new courthouse. They are buying land and buildings around the proposed site. If owners don't want to sell they will receive another offer. If they still don't want to sell the county will make them an offer they can't refuse.

If the state makes the developer whole in terms of what he paid or intends to pay on a new acquisition, the harm is somewhere between minimal and non-existent. The rich guy can take his money, buy or build another lake that has not been stocked and maintained for the last 50 years at taxpayer expense, and develop his luxury homes site at a place that isn't a state park.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 02:32 PM

The concept isn't exactly new. Do you think there were people who owned land where lakes, interstate highways, airports, and other public infrastructure are now? Smith County is about to build a new courthouse. They are buying land and buildings around the proposed site. If owners don't want to sell they will receive another offer. If they still don't want to sell the county will make them an offer they can't refuse.

If the state makes the developer whole in terms of what he paid or intends to pay on a new acquisition, the harm is somewhere between minimal and non-existent. The rich guy can take his money, buy or build another lake that has not been stocked and maintained for the last 50 years at taxpayer expense, and develop his luxury homes site at a place that isn't a state park.

and you don't see the difference or you would not have posted this rubbish.

If a need exists for the state to buy property they can buy up land or use emininent domain to force a sale.
Here we have a law being passed to keep the owners from operating their property and forces them to use it as if the state owned it.

Bottom line is they had their chance. There is not one thing that kept them from bidding on it when it was up for sale. They waited until it sold and people protested so big brother was forced to enact a new law that makes the properties value drop off the charts.

My post above about people reaching? That is you.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 02:46 PM

If a need exists for the state to buy property they can buy up land or use emininent domain to force a sale.
Here we have a law being passed to keep the owners from operating their property and forces them to use it as if the state owned it.

Bottom line is they had their chance. There is not one thing that kept them from bidding on it when it was up for sale. They waited until it sold and people protested so big brother was forced to enact a new law that makes the properties value drop off the charts.

Explain exactly, in specific and practical terms the difference between the state declaring eminent domain in a case of public need and forcing the sale of property vs. the state declaring a public need to continue use of this state park and forcing the proposed owner to allow it.

Is the proposed owner banned or in any way restrained from selling any or all property it acquires? The state tried to buy the property, but the developer refused. The developer's loss would have been zero if he had backed out of the deal. No one is bulldozing PawPaw's log cabin and forcing him to live under a bridge here.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 02:52 PM

Explain exactly, in specific and practical terms the difference between the state declaring eminent domain in a case of public need and forcing the sale of property vs. the state declaring a public need to continue use of this state park and forcing the proposed owner to allow it.

Is the proposed owner banned or in any way restrained from selling any or all property it acquires? The state tried to buy the property, but the developer refused. The developer's loss would have been zero if he had backed out of the deal. No one is bulldozing PawPaw's log cabin and forcing him to live under a bridge here.

There is no “public need” for recreational activities. What does eminent domain have to do with the bill being discussed?
Where do you see the state tried to buy the property? How much did the state offer?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 03:20 PM

There is no “public need” for recreational activities. What does eminent domain have to do with the bill being discussed?
Where do you see the state tried to buy the property? How much did the state offer?

I haven't been involved in the negotiations, nor have any of us, but here's what we are being told:

The state agency said state lawmakers “strongly” support helping it acquire the land that is now Fairfield Lake State Park. It said fnds now available from the constitutional amendment dedicating sporting goods sales tax to support state parks could be tapped to make the land purchase, along with federal land and water conservation funds.

”Today’s heartbreaking announcement of the closing of Fairfield Lake State Park is a tremendous loss for Freestone County and all Texans who enjoy our state’s unique parklands,” said State Sen. Charles Schwertner. “It is unfortunate that Vistra and this private developer were unable to come to an agreement that would have allowed the state of Texas to purchase the park from Vistra to maintain it for future generations of Texans.”

TPWD said it will continue to work to buy, and potentially, expand the park, but make it clear the new owner does not intend to use the property as a state park.

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/02/15/fairfield-state-park-close-permanently-feb-28/

As for "there is no public need for recreational activities", why do we have state parks? Or boat ramps? Or basketball courts and soccer fields at city parks?
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 05:19 PM

Hope it IS saved.
Never got to fish it when I worked and now that I'm retired, I'd really like to spend some time there.
Score one for the working man (maybe)!

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones
Hope it IS saved.
Never got to fish it when I worked and now that I'm retired, I'd really like to spend some time there.
Score one for the working man (maybe)!

You better hurry. It’s isn’t “saved”. It’s prolonging the inevitable. It’s closing in a month….maybe 6 weeks.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 06:17 PM

It is black and white. The bill introduced is a direct attack on private property rights. It’s pathetic that it would pass and have support in a conservative state. Private property rights are fundamental rights, without them we have nothing. This should scare the [censored] out of y’all, instead you have a bunch of hillbilly [censored] fishermen cheering for massive government overreach so they can keep fishing a lake that they have no rights to.

its hilarious how this "infringement" on the property rights of a billionaire developer has gotten your panties into a wad.

Until we have no property taxes do we really have private property rights? You don't even have the right to own your own property unless you pay the taxes on it........ If you don't pay guess what happens? Fundamentally we are not that far off from each other. I have just chosen to support something that makes my life and the local regular middle class tax payers life better and you have chosen to back the real estate developer.

Guess you are eye balling one of the lots?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 07:06 PM

I haven't been involved in the negotiations, nor have any of us, but here's what we are being told:

The state agency said state lawmakers “strongly” support helping it acquire the land that is now Fairfield Lake State Park. It said fnds now available from the constitutional amendment dedicating sporting goods sales tax to support state parks could be tapped to make the land purchase, along with federal land and water conservation funds.

”Today’s heartbreaking announcement of the closing of Fairfield Lake State Park is a tremendous loss for Freestone County and all Texans who enjoy our state’s unique parklands,” said State Sen. Charles Schwertner. “It is unfortunate that Vistra and this private developer were unable to come to an agreement that would have allowed the state of Texas to purchase the park from Vistra to maintain it for future generations of Texans.”

TPWD said it will continue to work to buy, and potentially, expand the park, but make it clear the new owner does not intend to use the property as a state park.

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/02/15/fairfield-state-park-close-permanently-feb-28/

As for "there is no public need for recreational activities", why do we have state parks? Or boat ramps? Or basketball courts and soccer fields at city parks?

State parks, boat ramps, basketball courts, and soccer fields aren’t needs. Show me where a public basketball court was built on land taken through eminent domain.

Regarding the first part of your post, the state had plenty of time to buy the land. They are now trying to posture publicly like they made a legitimate attempt to buy it, which this posturing has been made only after a huge public outcry. The state missed their opportunity and is now trying to use the BS regulation in the bill being discussed to strong arm the developer.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 07:11 PM

its hilarious how this "infringement" on the property rights of a billionaire developer has gotten your panties into a wad.

Until we have no property taxes do we really have private property rights? You don't even have the right to own your own property unless you pay the taxes on it........ If you don't pay guess what happens? Fundamentally we are not that far off from each other. I have just chosen to support something that makes my life and the local regular middle class tax payers life better and you have chosen to back the real estate developer.

Guess you are eye balling one of the lots?

No I’m not eyeballing one of the lots. My morals and principles don’t change based on the net worth of one of the parties involved. Yours do, and that means you and I are fundamentally mountains apart.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 07:20 PM

Its basically a cop out issue.
Do you back the state stepping in and making a property owner submit to them or do you believe in property owners rights.

Here we have one party that chose to not participate in the deal, knowing that they could be required to leave by the new owner.
Once the sale occurred and it was apparent the new owner would exercise that right the state steps in, made a new law specifically for this situation and will not allow the new owner to use the land for its intended purpose.

The new owner might sue the state and put the purchase on hold pending the outcome of the case. The current owner may join the new owner in suing the state.
If the state has a sense of honesty in this case, IMO they would step up and make a deal to buy the land from the new owner instead of making a law that devaluates the land like they did.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 09:23 PM

RIP violin
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 10:02 PM

I can't seem to find the public boat ramp on this map

hmmm

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by TxDanFishMan

hmmm

[Linked Image]

stick it to "the man"

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/25/23 10:32 PM

Can we just make an exchange with Todd Interests to get the beautiful Mountain Creek Lake for their $1B development and let the little people have Fairfield Lake SP? confused 3
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/26/23 01:28 AM

hmmm

[Linked Image]

stick it to "the man"

eek2 Some of those lots are on coal ash dumps, are they f***ing stupid?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/26/23 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scoundrel
Can we just make an exchange with Todd Interests to get the beautiful Mountain Creek Lake for their $1B development and let the little people have Fairfield Lake SP? confused 3

no dancing or alcohol, the baptists will be really mad if either are allowed
Posted By: 1975-Monark

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/26/23 03:26 AM

Amazing it got to this point. Hope I can take my grandkids to the park.
Posted By: Nathan Bass

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/26/23 07:38 PM

Also curious is how several of those lots are located on a deeded high pressure pipeline that runs from the Gulf coast to New York. They have the necessary gap on the East shoreline but not identified across the point where it crosses four lots. Makes a cynical old man think the map might just be smoke and mirrors.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/26/23 08:01 PM

Billionaires are always negotiating a better deal. Always.

How much would it cost to build another lake and dam for an upscale development? Then again, the new lake wouldn't be stocked with fish that the Texas public paid to put in it.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/26/23 10:58 PM

Stick it to Todd, I hope they belly up from this.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/27/23 12:14 AM

How much would it cost to build another lake and dam for an upscale development? Then again, the new lake wouldn't be stocked with fish that the Texas public paid to put in it.

Texas didn't build Fairfield and its been leasing the lake for 50 years knowing that could end whenever the lessor wanted it to end.
Instead of buying it when they had the chance they legislated that the new owner can't use it. Shrewd and dirty all at the same time.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/27/23 01:02 AM

Texas didn't build Fairfield and its been leasing the lake for 50 years knowing that could end whenever the lessor wanted it to end.
Instead of buying it when they had the chance they legislated that the new owner can't use it. Shrewd and dirty all at the same time.

and?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/27/23 01:36 AM

There is a good explanation of what this bill includes. I would recommend reading it at: Farfield Explanation

Texas has never leased the lake, only the land the park is on. They have not legislated that the new owner can't use it. They did legislate that parks and wildlife would need to approve any change to the current permit.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/27/23 03:11 AM

Screw them they’re proably democrats anyway.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/29/23 04:23 PM

I'm not about to go through this entire thread. Is it reopening or not?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/29/23 05:05 PM

There is a good explanation of what this bill includes. I would recommend reading it at: Farfield Explanation

Texas has never leased the lake, only the land the park is on. They have not legislated that the new owner can't use it. They did legislate that parks and wildlife would need to approve any change to the current permit.

A water use permit would be required for them to use it for recreational use. Any lake over 200 acres needs a water use permit.
Texas water code section 11.142. By requiring them to make the new owners keep the lake open to the public, they are telling them they can't do what they wanted to do.

I posted the legislation earlier in this thread I believe. The state is requiring that the lake to be open to the public and that the TPWD will not approve their water use permit unless it is. That is whats forcing the new owners and why the land isn't worth near what it was before the state passed the bill to make the new owners use the land the way the state wants it to be used.

Pretty clear and simple. Big brother makes the rules and by doing what they did in this case, devaluated the land by a significant amount. By 70% or more IMO.

Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/29/23 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
I'm not about to go through this entire thread. Is it reopening or not?

Yes for now at least

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/30/23 01:12 PM

Maybe we need to look at legislation to limit corporations from owning large properties all together. It would surely benefit the public as we know corporations are only about the profit and don't care about the effects on the locals
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/30/23 05:09 PM

if it is that big of a deal to the locals why dont they pass a bond an buy it themselves then they could make the money off of it instead of one company owning a property an wanting to sell it to another to develop an the county would get a tremendous amount of property tax money. instead they would rather complain a queer the deal for the other two businesses . just think if a ranch were to buy it there would be little to no taxes paid on because it is ag use an they would not let every tom dick an harry on their privatly owned property either. like all the small lakes that the govt built on private property that cant be accessed by the public. not to mention all the jobs a big development would bring.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 04/30/23 05:26 PM

Screw them they’re proably democrats anyway.

Allison is one and he is proud of it

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 01:30 AM

It is open now for day use only with free admission, it will close again in June because the closing date is right around the corner. Once it closes in June that will be it, unless the state gets something negotiated with either Vistra or Mr. Fancy pants. This is all contingent on the crazy drama and pending legislature.

If the state can pull this miracle off, their next acquisition / strong arm tactic should be turning Gibbons Creek into a huge State park, so we can all get back out there and fish. What a huge loss that was to the Bass fishing community!!!!!
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 02:12 PM

Went yesterday, the Lady Park Ranger told us that the last day the park will be open is in mid May(can't remember the date). The state has to be officially out by June 13th. It will take them a month to wrap things up.
Pray for a miracle or the park is gone.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 04:15 PM

Latest news on the saga ... https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article274912891.html

Some high lights or low lights ....

Todd emphasized that his firm is a “small family business”

Todd described his firm as the “largest preservation firm in the state of Texas”

Todd Interests and its representatives have also raised the possibility of a lawsuit if the state were to interfere with the transaction

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 04:22 PM

Latest new on the saga ... https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article274912891.html

Some high lights or low lights,,,

Todd emphasized that his firm is a “small family business”

Todd described his firm as the “largest preservation firm in the state of Texas”

Todd Interests and its representatives have also raised the possibility of a lawsuit if the state were to interfere with the transaction

Todd money vs. State of Texas money. Hmmm. How much of the Permian Basin and other Texas financial resources does Todd own?

There is nothing wrong with angling for a better settlement.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 05:19 PM

This Todd guy is something else, one contradiction after another. He stays silent for months refusing to comment or discuss future plans or a win win for all concerned parties, then the moment the state makes a little progress he starts whining. How can a firm be a "small family business" and at the same time be the largest preservation firm in the state of Texas? The theme of his promotional material to try and trick wealthy people into wasting money on what will surely be a bankrupt development in a year or so, basically in layman's terms says.... Hey Richie Rich we acquired a beautiful lake and piece of property that was maintained by the State of Texas as a State park for 50 years, you can get a small part of the park because the state dropped the ball on behalf of it's citizens, soon as it closes we are kicking the out commoners and installing a gate!!! Be one of the exclusive 400 members!!! Hurry Hurry Hurry!!!! Which is yet another contradiction....It's suddenly a violation of all our collective private property rights and at the same time relying heavily for sales, mainly because of it's history as a state park. I'm starting to understand now why he was silent for so long. Every time he opens his mouth he disparages his own argument. The main reason lake Fairfield is a wonderful place and a great state park for all us commoners to escape to, is primarily due to the fact that the entrance cost is a few bucks and not 5 million plus property taxes. Surely, the few people with enough money to build a 5 million dollar second home on a small lake have enough sense not to get scammed into something like this?
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 05:28 PM

There was never any progress by the state on saving Fairfield Lake State park. All this legislative stuff is just smoke and mirrors. There was and is no support for any eminent domain or any other attempt to save the park. If you remember, the eminent domain was taken out of the bill before the vote. That was a move just to get a bill passed. There was zero support to try and use eminent domain from any of the legislature. Just smoke and mirrors.
As I understand it, there may be more parks in danger of being closed.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 08:48 PM

According to the article the state was not interested until the deal with Todd was announced.
The state was not interested in buying all the land when it was for sale and Vistra wanted to sell it all so the state did not make an offer.

After Todd Interests bought the property the state wanted to buy it all but did not offer what Todd had already agreed to pay for it.
Now the state is legislating a way to prohibit Todd from using the lake and developing it.

Who is out on this? If the sale is not completed yet, everyone.
One thing is for certain. If the state passes this bill and they can make it stick, the property is basically worth 1/3 or less than it is now.
The state is basically stealing it.

I will repeat, if the state had any sense of justice they would offer to pay for the whole thing including making a deal with Todd to give them profit for the property. After all, they did not participate in the sale.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 08:54 PM

According to the article the state was not interested until the deal with Todd was announced.
The state was not interested in buying all the land when it was for sale and Vistra wanted to sell it all so the state did not make an offer.

After Todd Interests bought the property the state wanted to buy it all but did not offer what Todd had already agreed to pay for it.
Now the state is legislating a way to prohibit Todd from using the lake and developing it.

One thing is for certain. If the state passes this bill and they can make it stick, the property is basically worth 1/3 or less than it is now.

I will repeat, if the state had any sense of justice they would offer to pay for the whole thing including making a deal with Todd to give them profit for the property. After all, they did not participate in the sale.

your family should take your computer or phone away

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 09:07 PM

It seems like it's at that point

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/01/23 09:16 PM

Ironic that the changed environmental requirements on the prior owner forced them to shut down.
(I did see a bald eagle fly over last week while I was sitting in the shade on a picnic table at the swim beach having lunch, … she seemed to be letting me know everything will be OK. Then I went down to put the kayak back in and stepped right in a fire ant bed.) bang

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 12:34 AM

How is taking a lake and park maintained with taxpayer money and turning it into a gated community for ultra-rich people an example of "conservation"?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 01:01 AM

How is taking a lake and park maintained with taxpayer money and turning it into a gated community for ultra-rich people an example of "conservation"?

That’s democrat thinking don’t question it guy.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 01:15 AM

This is what happens when you spend money on land that someone else owns.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 12:28 PM

I wonder how much money in property taxes the state will be getting when it adds 150 houses at 2.5 to 5 million a piece.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 01:00 PM

There are 13 more state parks on leased land. Some on federal land, some on city/county water supply agencies. House Bill 4757 will give the state right of first refusal on any property sales, and gives the state control over water sales from lakes that are attached to state parks. Good luck on that. What the result of HB 4757 will be is long drawn out court cases.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 03:21 PM

This is going to be settled in court. How can the State pass a bill that is basically retroactive because the State screwed up the whole thing. I know everyone wants it to stay public but the Corporation bought it so they should be able to do what they want. How would like it if you bought a house and 6 months later the city/county/state says you can’t bbq in the backyard. Not really much difference

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 04:54 PM

How would having the state park open and the lake available for fishing be any different from Lake Bellwood in Tyler? On one side of the lake is a city park with a boat ramp. The "clientele" is shady to say the least. The lake is open for fishing and boating. On the other side of the lake is The Cascades, a ritzy development complete with high rise condos and million dollar homes, plus a country club that hosts the Texas State Open Golf Championship. Somehow the two ends of the spectrum co-exist.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 06:30 PM

here is the difference the investor is selling an exclusive property to folks with large sums of money that will spend a ton of it if they dont have to put up with the general public on the lake that they call home an pay big property taxes on. if you bought a ranch an in the middle of it was a lake would you want folks coming in an out with no investment but a pass .

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith
here is the difference the investor is selling an exclusive property to folks with large sums of money that will spend a ton of it if they dont have to put up with the general public on the lake that they call home an pay big property taxes on. if you bought a ranch an in the middle of it was a lake would you want folks coming in an out with no investment but a pass .

Did you miss the part about The Cascades Country Club and seven figure homes being across a 180 acre lake from a city park and boat ramp? I fished out there last month, right in front of some of the homes. Apparently the homeowners were willing to shell out big bucks despite my intrusion. Maybe Tyler snobs aren't as snobby as Fairfield snobs.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith

Did you miss the part about The Cascades Country Club and seven figure homes being across a 180 acre lake from a city park and boat ramp? I fished out there last month, right in front of some of the homes. Apparently the homeowners were willing to shell out big bucks despite my intrusion. Maybe Tyler snobs aren't as snobby as Fairfield snobs.

Snobs in Fairfield don’t fish…they raise Cattle
Posted By: RPD

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by machinist
This is going to be settled in court. How can the State pass a bill that is basically retroactive because the State screwed up the whole thing. I know everyone wants it to stay public but the Corporation bought it so they should be able to do what they want. How would like it if you bought a house and 6 months later the city/county/state says you can’t bbq in the backyard. Not really much difference

Lets not get ahead of ourselfs here, the "corporation" hasn't bought anything yet, the property has yet to close, it may or it may not, so until a closing takes place Todd interest hasn't bought and doesn't own anything yet, they have made an offer, the offer has been accepted but it hasn't gone to closing yet, until that happens Todd interest doesn't own any part of the property.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 08:54 PM

Lets not get ahead of ourselfs here, the "corporation" hasn't bought anything yet, the property has yet to close, it may or it may not, so until a closing takes place Todd interest hasn't bought and doesn't own anything yet, they have made an offer, the offer has been accepted but it hasn't gone to closing yet, until that happens Todd interest doesn't own any part of the property.

I put an offer on a house last March. It listed for $475,000. It was listed way below what is should have been listed for. The property sold for $700,000. I would not get into a bidding war. The highest bidder won and it was not me.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 09:04 PM

so are these cats buying the entire lake?
how can they block people from using the lake?
how can they sell the water from the lake?

can i go to my Mothers home at Lake Arlington, & sell water to Collin County?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

If you get the proper water permits I think you can, but what do I know.

Has Todd Interests been granted any water permits yet for Fairfield or did they assume they would get what they want?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/02/23 10:00 PM

Does your mother OWN the entire lake?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/03/23 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by BillS2006

Does your mother OWN the entire lake?

That’s what I am trying to figure out
So when they buy the land
Do they get the entire lake?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/03/23 01:27 AM

[quote=butch sanders]so are these cats buying the entire lake?

They are buying the entire lake and all the land surrounding the lake.
"Right now, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is responsible for evaluating and approving applications to change water permits. If passed, the bill would mean changes to the permits would have to be approved by TPWD in addition to the TCEQ"

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/03/23 01:46 AM

Thanks for the offer, but Collin county wants nothing from Arlington imported

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/03/23 03:54 PM

[quote=butch sanders]so are these cats buying the entire lake?

They are buying the entire lake and all the land surrounding the lake.
"Right now, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is responsible for evaluating and approving applications to change water permits. If passed, the bill would mean changes to the permits would have to be approved by TPWD in addition to the TCEQ"

thank you
wow what a disaster

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/03/23 03:55 PM

oh yeah you do
my great great grandparents settled in Melissa in 1894
Posted By: aneil

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/03/23 10:34 PM

I feel like that developer has never been out to the park. I don’t know if it’s just AT&T but I had no service out there. Nobody is going to live where there is no cell service!

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/03/23 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by aneil
I feel like that developer has never been out to the park. I don’t know if it’s just AT&T but I had no service out there. Nobody is going to live where there is no cell service!

I don't have cell service there either!
Posted By: pop r

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/04/23 12:02 AM

I have no problem with service there. I also have AT&T.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/04/23 12:04 AM

My iPhone lost signal before I was into the gates at the state park. Maybe it’s an Apple thing.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/04/23 12:58 AM

With the amount of money that Todd has and people will spend to have a home there, I bet AT&T could be persuaded or paid to upgrade their cell service in the area.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/04/23 01:00 AM

Money talks.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/04/23 01:04 AM

They will also need a Whole Foods, Starbucks, Target. People don’t want to grocery shop at the dollar tree or family dollar. That area lacks infrastructure. Will be interesting to see it all play out.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/04/23 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by aneil
They will also need a Whole Foods, Starbucks, Target. People don’t want to grocery shop at the dollar tree or family dollar. That area lacks infrastructure. Will be interesting to see it all play out.

It will be like Athens, all the wealthy Dallasites have made the economy of Athens very good over the years.
Posted By: GMTK

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/05/23 08:02 PM

Appears dead:

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/so...ended-to-save-fairfield-lake-state-park-

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/05/23 09:24 PM

A f ing republican what a piece of work . They wonder why politicians are probably the most hated people on the planet.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/05/23 09:31 PM

A f ing republican what a piece of work . They wonder why politicians are probably the most hated people on the planet.

Yep a Republican allowing a private company do with their property as they wish within the confines of current law, the HORROR!

The state had their chance to buy it and didn’t don’t change the rules after the fact!

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/05/23 09:48 PM

Oh. Well. Guess “ I told ya so” would be a kick in the nuts to you guys. The state of Texas is run by Tesla owners. We’re screwed.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/05/23 09:54 PM

The state had their chance to purchase., but they were hoping Vistra or Todd would donate the park property to TP&W. When they realized that was not in the picture then they started crying and whining.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/05/23 10:16 PM

When do the lots go on sale?

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/05/23 11:03 PM

We'll find out when and if the deal closes
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/06/23 01:26 AM

The fishing on Fairfield will be off the charts once it goes private .
Dam shame the state screwed the pooch on this one .

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/06/23 01:40 AM

Wait till all the waterfront wakeboard boat owners kill all the grass on Fairfield. Prolly convince TPWD to take care of it for them on my dime!

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/06/23 01:59 AM

I will say I have access to a few private lakes and it is nice to be the only boat on a lake that is really good.

Looks like FF is down the **itter with ole tex-riter

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/08/23 12:01 AM

Must be democrat the way you’re willing to spend MY money!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/08/23 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Verkeith
I am thrilled to share with you the exciting news that the legislation I authored to preserve Fairfield Lake State Park in Freestone County has passed unanimously in the Texas House of Representatives. This is a huge victory for our community and for the protection of this beloved State Park, which welcomes 80,000 visitors a year and is a point of pride for our county.

As you may remember, the State of Texas has invested $70 million in the preservation and operation of this beautiful natural resource. With the passage of House Bill 4757, Texas Parks and Wildlife now has the power and authority to ensure that this state park will continue to be preserved for generations to come.

I want to give a special shout out to Chairman Cody Harris, Chairman Trent Ashby, Chairman Greg Bonnen and Chairman Dustin Borrows who all joined me in authoring this legislation and helped to build the momentum we needed to get it passed. Thank you to all who supported this effort and worked tirelessly to make it a reality!

With this passage, our bill now heads over to the Texas Senate and then on to the Governor’s desk for his signature!

I will continue to keep you updated on the progress of this legislation and its journey through the Texas Legislature. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your dedication to preserving our community's treasures.

Sincerely,

Angelia Orr

Conservative State Representative

I wonder if I am going to get an email and text message explaining how she bombed on this?
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/08/23 02:12 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 12:23 AM

Closed? Open? Open sometimes????
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 12:58 AM

So is it open or not? Once again, I'm not about to go through 10 pages to find the answer.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 01:16 AM

yes

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
Closed? Open? Open sometimes????

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 02:11 AM

Texas Parks and Wildlife May 25, 2002 Agenda

Fairfield on the adgenda
[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 02:16 AM

You can take action and give your opinion at the following link,
Submit Your Opinion

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 02:06 PM

Hope they can get it done pay off development co and move on

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 02:20 PM

Thanks for the link I submitted my opinion.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 03:29 PM

I would bet that way back in the day the when coal mine was dug and the power plant built, the "lease" was kind of a you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours type of deal.

In that era things were sometimes "overlooked" by the state if the state was getting something in return.

With the coal mine closed and the plant gone, the only thing to scratch that itch is cold hard cash.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Wait till all the waterfront wakeboard boat owners kill all the grass on Fairfield. Prolly convince TPWD to take care of it for them on my dime!

Don’t forget all the wildlife that will be displaced from woods that they have called a safe home for decades. When deer want to graze on the new flowers and landscaping, sadly, all of a sudden they will be considered nuisances. City folk home owners will scream when they see a coyote a mile away. Ornamental wrought iron fences will be put up to deter hogs and wildlife. Trust me, a nearby ranch, surrounded their mega mansion home with those kind of fences. Many times I have driven by a seen deer and coyotes, impelled while they were only crossing their long established trails. So sad!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 04:03 PM

I would bet that way back in the day the when coal mine was dug and the power plant built, the "lease" was kind of a you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours type of deal.

In that era things were sometimes "overlooked" by the state if the state was getting something in return.

With the coal mine closed and the plant gone, the only thing to scratch that itch is cold hard cash.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 04:50 PM

I saw where the state passed a fund to save state parks. They need to pay the developer off if he ever actually purchases the property and sell the rest of the land.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 06:52 PM

I saw where the state passed a fund to save state parks. They need to pay the developer off if he ever actually purchases the property and sell the rest of the land.

Thats my opinion too but its probably worth it.
When they first tried to buy it they only wanted the land that the park sits on. When that didn't work the new owner testified to the state that they didn't offer anything close to what he paid for the property.

To me that showed the value the state had for that land. They really just wanted to stay there for nothing, IMO.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 07:09 PM

I agree the state should buy all the land and pay the developer a fair price. If he holds out for more than that, make him an offer he can't refuse.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/17/23 07:14 PM

I submitted my opinion. I hope this gets done.
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/25/23 03:19 AM

So is it saved or not?
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/26/23 04:27 AM

It's over the state made an offertoday May 25th and the developer responded to that offer and has not heard back so at this time the developer is closing the deal with Vistra and sill proceed with their plans for the land.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/26/23 08:01 PM

Yesterday’s Announcement from TPWD

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/26/23 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lakhota
It's over the state made an offertoday May 25th and the developer responded to that offer and has not heard back so at this time the developer is closing the deal with Vistra and sill proceed with their plans for the land.

Appears if developer refuses to sell for the price plus finders fee the state will seek legal action to save the park, go listen to the end of the Thursday meeting https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/2023/0525/agenda/

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/27/23 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

Appears if developer refuses to sell for the price plus finders fee the state will seek legal action to save the park, go listen to the end of the Thursday meeting https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/2023/0525/agenda/

Finders fee. Funny to me anyway.

Has anyone heard what Todd agreed to pay for the property?
Has the state got into discussions with Todd on how much they have already invested in the project and if the amount the state offered was a good faith offer or just a small amount over the amount they sold the property for?

I just wonder if this is all about the money or not.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/27/23 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

Finders fee. Funny to me anyway.

Has anyone heard what Todd agreed to pay for the property?
Has the state got into discussions with Todd on how much they have already invested in the project and if the amount the state offered was a good faith offer or just a small amount over the amount they sold the property for?

I just wonder if this is all about the money or not.

It's always about the money

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/27/23 04:51 PM

with any luck the todd group will be able to sell the state the park area for enough to clear the rest of it win win.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/28/23 12:58 AM

Hope it gets done too good a lake and park to lose over a bunch of incompetent politicians.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/28/23 01:35 AM

Hope it gets done too good a lake and park to lose over a bunch of incompetent politicians.

What does a competent politician look like ?
Don't know that I've ever seen one

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/28/23 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

And you won't from our point of view, from their (the politician) point of view being competent is being able to line their pockets as full as possible while in office.

Re: Lake Farfield-SAVED - 05/29/23 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

And you won't from our point of view, from their (the politician) point of view being competent is being able to line their pockets as full as possible while in office.

Good point
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum