Texas Fishing Forum

LBJ

Posted By: WrightMcGill

LBJ - 04/04/23 12:51 PM

Going there for the first time. Can't find much information but it appears that the lake has grass in the draws, etc. Any insight or recommendations would be appreciated.
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: LBJ - 04/04/23 01:18 PM

I prefer mostly weightless or top water baits on LBJ...most areas the bottom is covered with black snot and it's just not worth dragging baits for me. Flukes/wacky rigs along bulkheads or skipped up under docks/piers. Very little hydrilla anymore. Milfoil, reeds, pads can be found in many areas.

Re: LBJ - 04/04/23 07:49 PM

Many thanks.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 12:36 AM

Go during the week or be prepared for a bumpy trip. LBJ has some serious wake boat numbers
Posted By: RANGERBOB

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 12:56 AM

lake hasn't been the same since 2018 flood. For some reason, it seems LCRA is keeping it 6"-8" low, and i think that definitely causes dock bass to change lifestyles......
Posted By: fivebites

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Crowbar
I prefer mostly weightless or top water baits on LBJ...most areas the bottom is covered with black snot and it's just not worth dragging baits for me. Flukes/wacky rigs along bulkheads or skipped up under docks/piers. Very little hydrilla anymore. Milfoil, reeds, pads can be found in many areas.

Crowbar you must not have been out there this year. Plenty of hydrilla! I was very pleasantly surprised! Now, the wokeboard (no, not a typo) crowd will probably all cry about it, but there's plenty. Fishing is pretty decent too.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 01:23 PM

That’s not Hydrilla pal.

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 02:37 PM

How was the water clarity?
Posted By: petro

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 02:44 PM

Crystal clear water, mostly milfoil, and cabbage. Lots of snot grass. If there not on beds its hard for me to catch them.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunwilly
That’s not Hydrilla pal.

Pretty sure fivebites knows what hydrilla looks like.
Posted By: Jeeper92

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 03:05 PM

I fish LBJ almost every weekend. I can tell you there is a lot more vegetation there now than a year ago. I am not sure if it's hydrillla or milfoil. I need to learn to identify the difference. Have been getting more bites in it than elsewhere. Still lots of snot grass. Docks will come into play as the year goes on as there are a lot of them. With the weather warmer, the wakeboards are out. Might want to drive your fishing boat with a mouth guard in.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 03:43 PM

It’s Chara grass
Posted By: Amistad Tackle

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 04:35 PM

Yes, definitely hydrilla. Plenty of hydrilla near the confluence of the rivers. Milfoil all over the lake, except the extreme lower end. More grass than has been there in a while.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 05:02 PM

pretty easy to tell between chara grass and hydrilla. chara grass stinks like a skunk
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites

Crowbar you must not have been out there this year. Plenty of hydrilla! I was very pleasantly surprised! Now, the wokeboard (no, not a typo) crowd will probably all cry about it, but there's plenty. Fishing is pretty decent too.

Well, comparatively speaking, I would guess there is very little hydrilla vs. 4-5 years ago! I fished the Llano and Colorado arms about a month ago for white bass and did see an occasional stem of hydrilla floating by. I cruised (not fishing) the canals around Apple Rock 3 weeks ago and saw no signs of hydrilla in any of the canals or bays in the area. Glad to hear it seems to be making a comeback.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: LBJ - 04/05/23 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunwilly
It’s Chara grass

there may be chara Willy, but there is def hydrilla in the lake. Chara stinks (the original skunkweed!!) and what I was fishing WAS hydrilla.
Posted By: petro

Re: LBJ - 04/06/23 01:21 AM

Hydrilla is limited. Mostly milfoil and coontail. Also some other garbage weeds
Posted By: wtf242

Re: LBJ - 04/06/23 02:30 PM

I dislike fishing this lake mostly because of all the snot grass. Also in the summer it can get really annoying from the party boats and jet skis
Posted By: Jeeper92

Re: LBJ - 04/06/23 03:25 PM

Anyone know why LBJ has so much snot grass? I have heard it's because there is too many nutrients in the water but not sure that is why.
Posted By: JBnubbers

Re: LBJ - 04/07/23 12:51 AM

I got into them pretty good last year on tan senkos tx rigged with 1/16 weight
Posted By: CADD

Re: LBJ - 04/07/23 04:39 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum