Posted By: hopalong

this is gonna help fork! - 05/05/22 04:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/05/22 05:26 PM

If they let it..
Posted By: KYBluefan

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/05/22 06:16 PM

I was sure hoping it would hang out down there. Skeeter owners tournament just around the corner.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/05/22 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by TajChauvin
If they let it..

Meaning?

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/05/22 07:36 PM

Not sure how accurate the gauge at the Mineola airport is, but they're only showing .36" of rain in the last 24 hours (as of 1:50 today). Sure seems like more than that fell though.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/05/22 08:43 PM

Fork needs to stay low for a while.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/05/22 08:56 PM

It takes a lot of rain to raise Fork, more than we've had with this storm.
I'd really rather it stayed low through the summer and maybe through the fall.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/05/22 09:04 PM

I live up @ Cooper and all the creeks are out of their banks here. Hopefully the tributaries to Fork are the same.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 03:21 AM

Looks like it came up 0.14 feet or 1.7 inches
Posted By: forkduc

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 01:03 PM

If repairs on the dam are done and gates all closed.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 01:38 PM

Radar indicated totals only show .5 - .95 inches of rain over the last 72 hours in and around the Fork area. By contrast, Tawakoni area saw a good 1.85 - 2.13" and Cedar Creek averaged about 3.5" with some areas of the lake seeing 4"+.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 02:11 PM

I have to admit, something is starting to seem odd about Fork staying low. We get rain nearby or at Fork and the lake doesn’t come up any. Doesn’t make sense.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
I have to admit, something is starting to seem odd about Fork staying low. We get rain nearby or at Fork and the lake doesn’t come up any. Doesn’t make sense.

It’s the homeowners stealing the water for their yards.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 04:02 PM

2 years to come back,...you heard it here first. check the history.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 04:17 PM

If the watersheds not catching water then the amount that falls directly on the lake will not do much. Tbe lake I live on has a watershed fairly far north of here. We can get soaked here and lake will not rise unless it hits the watershed itself.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

It’s the homeowners stealing the water for their yards.

I bet the middle of the lake has to fill up first...... roflmao
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

If the watersheds not catching water then the amount that falls directly on the lake will not do much. Tbe lake I live on has a watershed fairly far north of here. We can get soaked here and lake will not rise unless it hits the watershed itself.

This^^^^^^^^

I don't think most understand how poor the watershed is for Fork. Heck, I've seen guys argue on here about the Sabine being a feeder for Fork.
Posted By: Kodyjoe

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/06/22 05:49 PM

Yep used to work with a guy that argued with me all the time that the Sabine River runs thru Fork. He never could show me on a map. He said why do they call it the Sabine River Authority. .S M D H

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/07/22 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by forkduc
If repairs on the dam are done and gates all closed.

The gates have been closed since mid January. So much misinformation floating around it's sickening.

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/07/22 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

This^^^^^^^^

I don't think most understand how poor the watershed is for Fork. Heck, I've seen guys argue on here about the Sabine being a feeder for Fork.

Same here for Cooper, we have to get heavy rain in northern Hunt County and southern Fanin County for Cooper to be effected at all but when it gets a good rain it can come up as much as 4 feet.. From what I've seen out of Fork the last few decades it's upper basin must not be all that big. It may take better than a year for it to get full again.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/07/22 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Caymas Cx 21

ABSOLUTELY!!! Just go around the lake now, there is so much vegetation growing right now its crazy. I hope it stays this way at least a year!! woot

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/07/22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by HARD WORKN HAROLD

ABSOLUTELY!!! Just go around the lake now, there is so much vegetation growing right now its crazy. I hope it stays this way at least a year!! woot

YESSS! I love fishing freshly flooded vegetation. I got to do that a lot in the spring time at home in the bayou state.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/07/22 01:57 PM

This is exactly right, a couple years at this level then fill it back up.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/07/22 06:06 PM

There's no run off rains because it's dry....it takes days of rain to make a significant rise....a storm system blowing through in hours will not materially affect the water level
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/07/22 06:10 PM

I hope it gets 8' low by September and doesn't fill up until 2024 personally
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/07/22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

This is exactly right, a couple years at this level then fill it back up.

take it down to 12'
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/08/22 10:18 PM

We’re going to drop three more feet starting June first. No rain and the sun will suck it’s yearly three foot out.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/09/22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by txmasterpo
I hope it gets 8' low by September and doesn't fill up until 2024 personally

Outside of a tropical event, it will be double digits low in the fall I believe. Our July August high pressure dome is already here. It's gonna be a dry one.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/09/22 01:58 PM

Not sure if this is true, but heard they lowered the lake to repair the dam. Then once they fixed their repairs, they found other issues they wanted to fix, so it's still low. But it's staying low because they want it low, not because of rainfall.

But I agree with the people who want it low for a few years. Love to get a new lake effect and more shoreline cover.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/09/22 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by LakeForkGroupie
Not sure if this is true, but heard they lowered the lake to repair the dam. TRUE and common knowledge as posted on the SRA website News wire. Then once they fixed their repairs, they found other issues they wanted to fix, so it's still low. But it's staying low because they want it low, not because of rainfall. TRUE & FALSE. True, they found more damage and kept it low for an extra month. True they found more damage and fixed it under the water rather than lowering the lake more. False, they are no longer holding the lake, just waiting on nature to fill.

But I agree with the people who want it low for a few years. Love to get a new lake effect and more shoreline cover.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/09/22 03:19 PM

It's dry folks. Simply hasn't been enough rain to fill her back up. Most lakes east of I-35 are 1-3ft low. The ones west of I-35 are even lower. Fork is just 6ft behind because of the dam repair. In order for most Texas lakes to fill you have to get the soil profile full, then the ponds upstream full, then the creeks running, then the lakes start coming up. All that usually happens in fall and winter, then the Spring rains finish off the filling. Just hasn't happened this year. Most Texas lakes aren't on a huge river systems that can just fill a lake at will. They have a huge watershed of small creeks and a smaller river. We have been fortunate for many years not having a substantial drought. Looks like we are gonna get one now. Not sure why this simple process seems to perplex so many people.
Posted By: Kodyjoe

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/09/22 03:54 PM

10 4.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: this is gonna help fork! - 05/09/22 04:09 PM

a good Hurricane will help
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum