Texas Fishing Forum

Are you a bank or open water angler?

Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 03:01 PM

You could be both which is what I consider the best of both worlds.
Myself, I am much more comfortable beating the banks. Lay downs, docks, rocks, rip raps and the such. I will fish offshore humps and brush piles if I can find them but my confidence in catching bass are much lower.
My favorite depths to fish are 12' or less. It seems I can use so many different baits/lures to try and figure out what they are biting for that day. In deeper water, I will try throwing a Spro's DD crankbait around the 25' depth, maybe crawling a C-rig and then throwing a shaky head. Other than that that's pretty much it for off shore fishing for me.
I fish the banks about 80% of the time, open water the other 20% of the time.
What I might consider an in between is a creek leading into the main river section. It might be 50' from the bank but I am within 10' of shallow water that drops off to deeper water. If I find bass in that area it does seem that are stacked and I can catch a good amount in that area.
Posted By: danial S

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 03:11 PM

primarily, im a bank fisherman. dont go much off of it, but recently my interest has been piqued by wade fishing in creeks with UL gear. definitely much more fun than bank fishing, and I think I'm going to end up sticking to that much more than regular bank fishing. it gives me so much more access, and not to mention I don't get as hot while I'm in the water laugh
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 03:37 PM

I have more confidence casting & flipping cover I can see. Just upgraded the electronics this year and am really going to work on off shore. My confidence is low out there, I can catch one or two, but never get into the school like some guys talk about in these offshore spots. Not sure what I do wrong, but am determined to figure it out this year.
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 04:09 PM

Bank beater here. Love fishing heavy cover, stumps, pads, reeds & grass/weed lines. I feel bass are creatures of habit & have busted many a big ol girl beating the banks even in the winter. 12' or less works for me all the time.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 04:14 PM

I'm a bankbeater
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 05:12 PM

Bank beater learning offshore this year
Posted By: Gamblingman

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 05:32 PM

I fish out of a kayak so I fish shallow but if I get to fish out of a boat I do enjoy fishing deep
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
Myself, I am much more comfortable beating the banks. Lay downs, docks, rocks, rip raps and the such. I will fish offshore humps and brush piles if I can find them but my confidence in catching bass are much lower.
My favorite depths to fish are 12' or less. It seems I can use so many different baits/lures to try and figure out what they are biting for that day. In deeper water, I will try throwing a Spro's DD crankbait around the 25' depth, maybe crawling a C-rig and then throwing a shaky head. Other than that that's pretty much it for off shore fishing for me.
What I might consider an in between is a creek leading into the main river section. It might be 50' from the bank but I am within 10' of shallow water that drops off to deeper water. If I find bass in that area it does seem that are stacked and I can catch a good amount in that area.

You need to try a 3/4 football jig offshore.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 06:54 PM

I’m a super shallow water guy. If I ain’t kickin up mud, I aim towards the bank a little more.
Posted By: Bradley McCaw

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 07:23 PM

Offshore for sure, love throwing 10xds and big ribbontails on piles offshore.

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones

You need to try a 3/4 football jig offshore.

I will throw a football jig sometimes, I do throw a swimming jig in shallower water.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 07:50 PM

I generally try to fish where nothing will bite.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 08:28 PM

My confidence lies in open water hydrilla. Except durning the spawn even then transitional offshore routes are targeted first.
Posted By: 21sammy

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 08:30 PM

I have been a bank beater but am starting to gain more confidence in offshore fishing.
Posted By: D1988

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 08:38 PM

I'm a little bit of both but love to throw a A- rig. There is a certain lake I love to fish offshore. The majority of fish will move offshore for the summer and I love it. We catch some of our best fish and highest numbers there. The best day was 96 off 1 point.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 08:39 PM

Both, but I prefer the bank.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 10:46 PM

On Buchanan there is a couple of man made Boulder humps from back when the lake was being built. I don’t think they are on any maps. Anyways when guiding Striper fisherman we would freeline/stroll big gizzards over and around the boulders. There was no telling what what you were going to catch. I know we caught several DD bass of them. Told my folks any bass over 2lbs gets released. Most were fine with it. Depending on lake level those humps can be anywhere from 15ft deep at the top down too 40ft. 25ft seemed to be the best. But I prefer to hit the banks.
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 10:50 PM

Both....but the days you catch 50+ Great Lake SM off one spot ! That's some amazing fishing
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 11:21 PM

both, i prefer offshore if they will bite. nothing beats that jig bite
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 11:32 PM

I beat the bank until I’ve whipped a foam on it like a draft beer, then I move out and graph for about 5 minutes, lose interest and back to the bank. At the end of the day when I load the boat I look at that live scope that I didn’t even turn on and think what a sucker I was to buy that!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/12/21 11:59 PM

Most bass fisherman are bank beaters and have average days on the lake because of it. I like to fish where I don’t think most are fishing, and love finding the little offshore juice. However, time of year hampers that plan like spring time . I don’t always find em offshore, but when do, it beats any bank beating day, not even close.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 12:17 AM

Bank.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 12:21 AM

I like offshore but fish where I can get the most bites. Offshore will be heating up on Conroe.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 12:23 AM

I'm a bank beater... Dan
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 12:47 PM

Bank for sure!

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 01:08 PM

From June to October it seems my bigger fish have all come from off shore fishing or deeper water. I am gaining more confidence every year fishing off shore. I will never leave the banks as my primary fishing spots but I am getting further away from the shores more often now than i use to.
The key for me is getting to fish off shore before the masses hit the lake for the day. It is near impossible to fish off shore after 11 am because of the boat traffic.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 02:36 PM

Nothing against deep water but a lot more to see nearer the bank.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 03:02 PM

I think that any of us over 50 started out beating the bank. Along comes Dance, Martin, etc. and they say that if you are beating the bank, 90% of the fish are behind you. I was in my teens when that happened, and I have slowly gotten away from the bank and started looking at the bottom for fish. I prefer to fish structure vs cover, but I will beat the bank if the situation warrants. Drop Shot has been the best technique for me fishing structure, CRig, shakey head come into play too. For some reason, and it was how I learned to fish soft plastics.. I just don't like to fish a Texas rig.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 04:41 PM

Bank for me. I will fish offshore if moving a bait. If it turns into C-Rig or Football jig day I'm out. I've tried but don't have the patience.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SAKS
Bank for me. I will fish offshore if moving a bait. If it turns into C-Rig or Football jig day I'm out. I've tried but don't have the patients.

What do patients have to do with fishing offshore? Aren't patients in a doctor's or dentist's office?
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 04:57 PM

When I used to bass fish, it was normally Lake Fork. Early morning I would be pitching the banks. By noon I would be hitting the stumps with a jig in 10-15ft water. By 3 I would be fishing deep water humps, road beds and points. My biggest fish never came from the banks.
Posted By: Tyler Kalishek

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 05:23 PM

I do both. Have learned more and more every year fishing offshore. Though I haven’t caught many fish deeper than 15-20’
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by SAKS
Bank for me. I will fish offshore if moving a bait. If it turns into C-Rig or Football jig day I'm out. I've tried but don't have the patients.

What do patients have to do with fishing offshore? Aren't patients in a doctor's or dentist's office?

Your rite. I will corect imediate.

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/13/21 05:44 PM

LOL, you mean korect?
Posted By: Eyegor

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/16/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by greenen

Sshhh. That's my secret too.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/16/21 03:07 PM

Do y’all put trailers on the football jigs for fishing deep?

Side note, when pitching shallow, do you t-rig the trailer onto the jig?

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/16/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Do y’all put trailers on the football jigs for fishing deep?

Side note, when pitching shallow, do you t-rig the trailer onto the jig?

Deep water jigging I usually have a trailer on but not a big one. Reason is I will not throw a jig for deep water less than 3/4 oz so the body is big enough, I just want a small trailer to be presented.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/16/21 04:03 PM

Do you hang up often?

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/16/21 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eyegor
Originally Posted by greenen

Sshhh. That's my secret too.

Think of how many more casts can be made on a fishing trip when you aren't slowed down by having to fight fish back to the boat and unhook them!

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/16/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Do you hang up often?

Not really....
Football jigs with the way the head a made makes it fairly easy to hop it over rocks and limbs. Not saying I won’t get hung up but it’s not a problem in general.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/16/21 05:31 PM

I do both equally. I really don't have a preference and prefer to do whichever one leads to the biggest fish
Posted By: TexasTNT

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? - 05/25/21 10:29 PM

Run the banks all day. Run grass lines and boat houses and docks. Always see guys out in the open, figured they were crappie fishing, but I guess you could catch a couple of bass if you're in the right spot. Finder always says there's some in the deep, but I just pat it on the head and say thank you. LOL
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum