Texas Fishing Forum

MLF Rayburn

Posted By: Darin S.

MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 09:38 PM

I enjoyed the coverage today even though the fishing was pretty slow. I had the Elites going on my TV but watched a lot more of the MLF on my iPad...go figure.

What do you east Tx boys see happening the next few day with the warm weather and full moon Sunday? Looks like it’s setting up for a huge wave of fish to move up.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 09:41 PM

I've watched more of it just because its in TX, good finish today for both tours

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
I've watched more of it just because its in TX, good finish today for both tours

cheers
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 10:00 PM

Yep, good week to be having tournament
We have rain forecast for 2 days, if some of those areas don’t get blown out with dirty cold water, they should make a move by the end of the tournament at Rayburn
Posted By: Brent S

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 10:01 PM

Several fish look post spawn that they are catching

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 10:14 PM

Maybe some are post spawn but with cold winter I would say there’s a lot of spawners left. I know it pushed Falcon way back. They were spawning this past weekend and the water temp was 67-71
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 11:05 PM

Congrats to Bill Lowell! cheers

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 11:37 PM

Frank don’t you need to pick up Ken’s dry cleaning or wash his car.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/23/21 11:39 PM

Listen junior, I don’t know you and you don’t know me. Enjoy your day.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 12:15 AM

Depends on the rain. I'm not sure how much they are supposed to get but it can get stained quick and kill a bite. You would think riding water would drive the fish to the bushes but sometimes they dont go, they just hang where they are and its tougher to catch them. Warming trend looks good but the rain will play a factor, especially for the jerk bait guys
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
Frank don’t you need to pick up Ken’s dry cleaning or wash his car.

roflmao
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 01:40 AM

They are on the bank and In the bushes today. Took my daughter out. No big ones but fun times!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 01:11 PM

They were up the last 2 weeks in areas. At least bigger females were. The next wave should be pulling up this week sometime I would think.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Listen junior, I don’t know you and you don’t know me. Enjoy your day.

I know you.

And I know you're sposed to be down here on Saturday for beer and Q. Whazzup?
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BMCD
They were up the last 2 weeks in areas. At least bigger females were. The next wave should be pulling up this week sometime I would think.

thumb
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 03:11 PM

They are catching an awful lot of non-scorable up shallow, suprised they aren't backing off and looking for prespawners, not as many guys winding something as it seems a swim jig would be money where these guys are fishing. But I love throwing swim jigs in the spring so I am wanting to see it!
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 03:20 PM

Actually just saw Spohrer is throwing a swim jig and he's in first...
Posted By: kellisag

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 05:51 PM

Don't look now but Cox has moved up to 21st just 3 ounces from the cut line.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MagFluker
Actually just saw Spohrer is throwing a swim jig and he's in first...

He has been throwing a lightweight white w/ white trailer swim jig all morning.

He isn't letting it swim much and it's back at the boat.

cheers

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 06:02 PM

That 7 pounder Lucas caught looked post spawn but nobody is seeing any fry or old beds. Maybe the fish are so far back in the jungle nobody can get to them.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 06:13 PM

That 7 pounder Lucas caught looked post spawn but nobody is seeing any fry or old beds. Maybe the fish are so far back in the jungle nobody can get to them.

There are some that are post spawn already but I bet there are way more that haven't spawned yet. fish

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 06:20 PM

Next week should be fun out there Big D.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 06:21 PM

There are not a lot of places you can get to the bank and fish for bed fish if you wanted to.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 07:01 PM

I’d fish circles through deer stand. That’s all I’d do.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Wouldn't be a bad plan
Posted By: RKT

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 07:27 PM

I think this tournament is showing that Sam Rayburn for some reason does not have as many fish in the 3-5 lb class as it has had in the past.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by RKT
I think this tournament is showing that Sam Rayburn for some reason does not have as many fish in the 3-5 lb class as it has had in the past.

Its amazing it puts out what it does considering how hammered it gets. Might be a fight for the round win not just the cut line banana

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet

Wouldn't be a bad plan

There is a guy named Rick that fishes it everyday and gives fishing reports.

It has affectionately be renamed Rick Stand on FB! banana

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 07:37 PM

Shin Fukae just caught a 3 14 that has a Bass Cash tag on it! bolt

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

Mine must be on delay, haven't seen that yet

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

Mine must be on delay, haven't seen that yet

They switched over to someone else who was just ahead of him that had just caught one.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 10:16 PM

Jeff sprague has now made 14 of 16 knockout rounds. He’s very underrated imo.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 11:25 PM

Wouldn't be a bad plan

Is that the guy that does some YouTube videos

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 11:42 PM

May be underrated but still a douche face, I will forever remember him as the Fork bass snagger.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/24/21 11:52 PM

May be underrated but still a douche face, I will forever remember him as the Fork bass snagger.

Sir, that’s never been proven.
wink
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 12:22 PM

....and here we go....

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 12:52 PM

Fog delay this AM!

Lines in at 8:30 with Live coming at 8:15. cheers

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by the skipper

Wouldn't be a bad plan

Is that the guy that does some YouTube videos

I don't think he has a YouTube channel.

He has a page on FB Fishing with Rick and posts almost everyday. cheers

There are some local guides that take offense to him sharing what he catches his fish on. slinger

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 03:43 PM

Biffle was leading?!

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 04:24 PM

looks to be pretty slow today!

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 06:25 PM

Lucas just lost a giant right at the boat.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by kellisag
Lucas just lost a giant right at the boat.

May have been #608
Posted By: bklem

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 06:31 PM

His emotion afterwards! Not sure I could have kept from puking! This whole week has been a game changer for me. Sitting here at LBJ recovering from knee replacement surgery and these bass tournaments are the only thing keeping me sane!

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by bklem
His emotion afterwards! Not sure I could have kept from puking! This whole week has been a game changer for me. Sitting here at LBJ recovering from knee replacement surgery and these bass tournaments are the only thing keeping me sane!

Maybe they will show it again as I missed it. hammer

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 07:49 PM

Understatement, if this was a 5 fish derby the weights today would be kinda pathetic. Is Rayburn that bad right now or these guys missing the boat?
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 09:03 PM

I don't get to fish Rayburn much, but it seems like it's a little off. I was expecting some big weights. If 1.5lbrs counted the weights would be huge though. Tons of fish caught just below 2lbs.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 09:51 PM

Understatement, if this was a 5 fish derby the weights today would be kinda pathetic. Is Rayburn that bad right now or these guys missing the boat?

I think they missed the boat. Actually I think they got ahead of the fish but you also have to factor in that every single fish that moves up to the bushes gets caught with the unbelievable pressure that lake has been under.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/25/21 10:16 PM

That lake took an absolute beating the past month. Still lots of fish pushing up but not in the huge first wave that came in a couple weeks ago.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 12:21 AM

I think they missed the boat. Actually I think they got ahead of the fish but you also have to factor in that every single fish that moves up to the bushes gets caught with the unbelievable pressure that lake has been under.

The live scopers definitely did, which is refreshing. Its abnormal to see both Biffle and Crochet make the top ten, may be first time for either of them, they have consistently been two of the worst in this format.
Posted By: Neches

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 12:52 AM

Sir, that’s never been proven.
wink
nor disproved, he cheated and the MLFers covered for him to keep the talk down best they could. You ever see pros unhook keeper fish in the water? I know I haven’t

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
That lake took an absolute beating the past month. Still lots of fish pushing up but not in the huge first wave that came in a couple weeks ago.

Yea. I'm not sure that wave actually did their thing though. I know where I fish and I know guys that fish the opposite side of the lake and I've only caught 1 that had any signs of spawning but I did see some small ones up getting really close the days before mlf kicked off. I think the really big ones have done their thing, they are usually the early ones

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 01:19 AM

The live scopers definitely did, which is refreshing. Its abnormal to see both Biffle and Crochet make the top ten, may be first time for either of them, they have consistently been two of the worst in this format.

Yea, normally you hear the locals say it's tough and they show up and do pretty good with some different patterns or something. They seem to be doing what every other boat on the lake is doing. I guess it could change tomorrow but the boats will pick up and that will hurt the bite usually

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 01:12 PM

Yea. I'm not sure that wave actually did their thing though. I know where I fish and I know guys that fish the opposite side of the lake and I've only caught 1 that had any signs of spawning but I did see some small ones up getting really close the days before mlf kicked off. I think the really big ones have done their thing, they are usually the early ones

Watched quite a bit yesterday and I don't think I saw a single fish caught in the bushes that was pre spawn. They all looked like gutted snow birds. Same for the schooling fish that many were catching. With that said, seems most of those guys on camera yesterday were up the river so I'm sure that area was first to spawn.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 01:15 PM

The cold snap in last month definitely has caused some weirdness, from the all those giants caught in February to a very muted spawn right now
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 01:34 PM

I cover all of it in my new video. I was asked by so many people over the last several days so I thought it would be easier to do a video elaborating than to respond to text and phone calls.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 02:14 PM

Oh gawd Lucas is train wreck right now
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 03:06 PM

Looks like Ott is walking away with it this morning

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 03:35 PM

Interesting Ott b!tching about the impedance rule, I did not know this existed

v. IMPEDANCE: The MLF Angler cannot knowingly put the Boat Official or camera operator in a situation where they are unable to perform their job. This includes being in an area where there is no connectivity with the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device for more than 15 consecutive minutes.
Once the boat enters an area where the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device loses connectivity, the Boat Official will announce “We have lost SCORETRACKER© connectivity. You have 15 minutes before you must return to an area of connectivity.” Once the 15 consecutive minutes has elapsed, the Boat Official will announce “You have reached your 15 minutes of connectivity loss. You must stop fishing and return to an area of connectivity.” At this point the MLF Angler must immediately stop fishing and return the boat to an area of SCORETRACKER© connectivity. Failure to do so will result in a penalty. This includes making another cast after the Boat Official has announced the 15 minutes of lost connectivity has elapsed.
Any bass caught between the time after the Boat Official has announced the 15 minutes of lost connectivity has elapsed and before the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device has regained connectivity will be deemed un-scorable
Posted By: Big O Florida

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by UTDmiller

It looks like Ott is just reinforcing the MLF nick name... just like when Wheeler runs away with them. Mostly Little Fish. When I looked at score tracker he had 10 for 21+lbs... that the barely legal schooling fish he’s on.. he’s caught 20 of them and probably could have caught them all on a bare shiny hook being dragged through the water. And they call themselves “pro’s”... maybe they should set their minimum standards on what the bush league tournaments typically bring in any given week on the same fishery.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big O Florida

It looks like Ott is just reinforcing the MLF nick name... just like when Wheeler runs away with them. Mostly Little Fish. When I looked at score tracker he had 10 for 21+lbs... that the barely legal schooling fish he’s on.. he’s caught 20 of them and probably could have caught them all on a bare shiny hook being dragged through the water. And they call themselves “pro’s”... maybe they should set their minimum standards on what the bush league tournaments typically bring in any given week on the same fishery.

GTFO

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 03:58 PM

You're such a clown. Move along
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 03:58 PM

v. IMPEDANCE: The MLF Angler cannot knowingly put the Boat Official or camera operator in a situation where they are unable to perform their job. This includes being in an area where there is no connectivity with the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device for more than 15 consecutive minutes.
Once the boat enters an area where the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device loses connectivity, the Boat Official will announce “We have lost SCORETRACKER© connectivity. You have 15 minutes before you must return to an area of connectivity.” Once the 15 consecutive minutes has elapsed, the Boat Official will announce “You have reached your 15 minutes of connectivity loss. You must stop fishing and return to an area of connectivity.” At this point the MLF Angler must immediately stop fishing and return the boat to an area of SCORETRACKER© connectivity. Failure to do so will result in a penalty. This includes making another cast after the Boat Official has announced the 15 minutes of lost connectivity has elapsed.
Any bass caught between the time after the Boat Official has announced the 15 minutes of lost connectivity has elapsed and before the SCORETRACKER© Scoring System Device has regained connectivity will be deemed un-scorable

That is an odd rule. I am not sure I would be thrilled with that one. However, if they knew the rule, they can't complain.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 04:02 PM

What an azzhat Sprague is, that guy has a temper

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 04:05 PM

whatd he do?
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by J.H.S.

That is an odd rule. I am not sure I would be thrilled with that one. However, if they knew the rule, they can't complain.

They must not enforce that rule. Mark Davis was out for half the day, on his day one. Didn't get connectivity until noon and then posted 28 lbs while driving back down south
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 04:14 PM

Is the cell coverage that bad on Rayburn? I don't recall ever having problems getting a signal.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 04:55 PM

His biggest of 10 scored is 2-15... he’s probably caught twice or more of that many less than 2lb to get those 10 fish on scoreboard. That’s just a fact, not me being a clown. These guys represent themselves as being the best of the best... why shouldn’t they be expected to validate that claim? Fish in the 2lb range are barely legal in length (14” - 16” depending on jurisdiction) and are always schooled and in feeding frenzy. If he rigged things up right he probably could catch a few doubles while he’s casting into the pod of dinks. I suspect that would make some observers scream in delight!

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:03 PM

whatd he do?

He set the hook and missed and tangled his rod in a cypress branch, ripped his rod out in anger and it broke, then blamed the tree branch for breaking his rod LOL

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Is the cell coverage that bad on Rayburn? I don't recall ever having problems getting a signal.

Some of these guys are way up the river or creeks
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:06 PM

These guys represent themselves as being the best of the best... why shouldn’t they be expected to validate that claim?

Lol, I'm going to crawl all the way out on a limb here and say that DeFoe has "validated" himself as one of the best anglers on the planet. He's dominated everywhere he's been and has won your beloved Classic. Again, just when I think you can't say anything more ridiculous...

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:17 PM

At least 1/2 of Rayburn would have that problem! OMG

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:20 PM

whatd he do?

He set the hook and missed and tangled his rod in a cypress branch, ripped his rod out in anger and it broke, then blamed the tree branch for breaking his rod LOL

whip
Posted By: Dubee

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:22 PM

Hey Warren, if I send you a baseball to replace the one Boyd stole. Will you quit posting all this made up nonsense and go play in your room
Posted By: SAKS

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:23 PM

His biggest of 10 scored is 2-15... he’s probably caught twice or more of that many less than 2lb to get those 10 fish on scoreboard. That’s just a fact, not me being a clown. These guys represent themselves as being the best of the best... why shouldn’t they be expected to validate that claim? Fish in the 2lb range are barely legal in length (14” - 16” depending on jurisdiction) and are always schooled and in feeding frenzy. If he rigged things up right he probably could catch a few doubles while he’s casting into the pod of dinks. I suspect that would make some observers scream in delight!

So what you are saying is that the Classic is a second tier or even bush league event? There are a lot of "so called pros", Ott being one of them, that are past Classic champions. All this time I thought it was a big deal to win one.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Jones

These guys represent themselves as being the best of the best... why shouldn’t they be expected to validate that claim?

Lol, I'm going to crawl all the way out on a limb here and say that DeFoe has "validated" himself as one of the best anglers on the planet. He's dominated everywhere he's been and has won your beloved Classic. Again, just when I think you can't say anything more ridiculous...

It matters not what he’s done in the past. Is him sitting atop a pod of barely legal (in length) schooling fish that’s in a constant feeding frenzy, and plucking them out in virtually every cast a demonstration of his skill and fishing prowess or skill of being able to find a pod of that size on his electronics? He’s probably caught 2-3 times as many fish than what’s he has been able to score. To me that’s not a demonstration of being the best of the best and being able to read the conditions and find the big fish that are more solidarity. At least some below him are trying to play the part.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:30 PM

For someone that hates MLF you sure are tuned in and watching if you know all of this! roflmao

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:33 PM

For someone that hates MLF you sure are tuned in and watching if you know all of this! roflmao

I guarantee he never misses a second
Posted By: RKT

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:42 PM

I would like to see them change to MLF format to where the first four days stay the same, but once they get to the elimination day and championship day it then goes to the traditional 5 biggest bass. If the guys want to claim to be the best let them show they are good with numbers and size.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:43 PM

He is probably sitting watchin Ott and j*acking off wishing he was Ott's judge today

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 05:43 PM

One doesn’t have to be tuned in to know... just looking at the score tracker will tell you. A year ago they changed the minimum from 1lb to 2lb to try and mitigate the image they were earning as “mostly little fish” - but even 2lb minimum isn’t going to help them shake that image if this is what they are going to do with frequency. I am all for a legal length (by jurisdiction) fish being eligible for score, but in the majority of formats being employed by other tournaments, those barely legal length fish aren’t going to win you anything, and rightfully so. Ott can sit on that pod of little fish all day and win this thing; and that’s just further exposing the flaw in the system they use. Perhaps 3lb minimum would have been more appropriately for this event?

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 06:04 PM

One doesn’t have to be tuned in to know... just looking at the score tracker will tell you. A year ago they changed the minimum from 1lb to 2lb to try and mitigate the image they were earning as “mostly little fish” - but even 2lb minimum isn’t going to help them shake that image if this is what they are going to do with frequency. I am all for a legal length (by jurisdiction) fish being eligible for score, but in the majority of formats being employed by other tournaments, those barely legal length fish aren’t going to win you anything, and rightfully so. Ott can sit on that pod of little fish all day and win this thing; and that’s just further exposing the flaw in the system they use. Perhaps 3lb minimum would have been more appropriately for this event?

This just in.... it's how they score the game. It's not a flaw, it's on purpose and he's playing the game by the rules the anglers and the league developed. Why can't you come to terms with the fact that you're not a part of the decision making team? Lol

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 06:20 PM

This just in.... it's how they score the game. It's not a flaw, it's on purpose and he's playing the game by the rules the anglers and the league developed. Why can't you come to terms with the fact that you're not a part of the decision making team? Lol

I can just imagine the MLF director of TV production now calling into the ear piece of the Marshall that’s with Ott, reminding him this is a TV show to be broadcast in 3 months time and telling him to just stay put, but we they need to create some suspense and drama, so to start throwing hookless baits only and to shake the biters off until a couple other of the players can catch up. And then with a half hour to go and he’s behind in weight he can put hooks back onto his baits and start catching them again for the last minute win!

Why is it not so hard to imagine that scenario, score tracker has had him without catch for a little while now? lmfao

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 06:33 PM

Anyone think the live coverage is causing pressure in the areas the anglers are in? Biffle just said he has never seen so many people were he is at.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by RKT
I would like to see them change to MLF format to where the first four days stay the same, but once they get to the elimination day and championship day it then goes to the traditional 5 biggest bass. If the guys want to claim to be the best let them show they are good with numbers and size.

The were considering something like that for FLW current pro circuit when MLF bought them, while the idea of hybrid tournament might be ok for a specialty event or a one off deal, I don't like it. I honestly don't like them staying one the same lake for the entire MLF event, I think the best ones where they changed lakes for every round.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 06:38 PM

I've watched quite a bit today but certainly not all day. Only saw Ott on "live" for a few minutes early this morning. Did they actually make him move to get back into signal area? I missed when he was griping. I was thinking that MLF probably wasn't wild about their leader basically being MIA on the live feed.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 06:44 PM

No they didn't make him move thats up to him, but he's going to move if they are not counting any fish catches after 15 miniutes

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 07:56 PM

I can just imagine the MLF director of TV production now calling into the ear piece of the Marshall that’s with Ott, reminding him this is a TV show to be broadcast in 3 months time and telling him to just stay put, but we they need to create some suspense and drama, so to start throwing hookless baits only and to shake the biters off until a couple other of the players can catch up. And then with a half hour to go and he’s behind in weight he can put hooks back onto his baits and start catching them again for the last minute win!

Why is it not so hard to imagine that scenario, score tracker has had him without catch for a little while now? lmfao

You going to back up your accusations with any facts? Im betting not because you never do, clown

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 07:59 PM

Anyone think the live coverage is causing pressure in the areas the anglers are in? Biffle just said he has never seen so many people were he is at.

I don't think the Live Coverage has anything to do with the total number of anglers in an area of Rayburn.

There is an ABA tourney going on today and this weekend there will be many tourneys going on. cheers

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 08:45 PM

Something big is on fire in the background of some of the shots! What the heck?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 08:45 PM

Ott’s not a pro? That’s what you’re going with? roflmao

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 08:54 PM

Did I hear them right that Ott is in the lead right now, just no service for the scoretracker to update?

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:16 PM

That was close, Clausen and Lucas lost big fish that would have given them the win, don't know if Spohrer didn't lost some keepers that cost him the win too.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:23 PM

Oh man Luke saying "you screwing with me" with they updated him on Otts catch, IDK I have ever seen someone spun out that bad. He wasn't dead sticking that senko anymore with how he was catching them just blank stare and constant cast and retrieve, he mentally lost it, those fish weren't going to bite him fishing that fast.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:28 PM

You going to back up your accusations with any facts? Im betting not because you never do, clown

Did I call how it would all play out in the end or what? Isn’t that exactly how it happened in the end? Ott catches nothing for 1.5 periods until a couple guys caught up and then in the closing minutes Ott lands 3 dinks for the win.

Is it really that hard to imagine that’s why it played out like it did? It goes to TV land in August! It will take 4 weeks to air the whole tournament. It’s all about the suspense and drama baby!

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:30 PM

Ott is one of the best. He's proven that in every format he has ever fished, but it is ironic and eye opening that mighty Sam was won on a string of 2lbers. It really does highlight the major major differences in the two formats. In a 5 fish format Clausen beats Ott by around 5lbs today. Sphorer would have also beat Ott. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, but they are very different. Lots of traditional 5 fish guys will never like this format because of this exact scenario. So just to clarify Mark and Dubee, I'm not criticizing. I enjoyed watching. Just pointing out some facts as I see them.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:36 PM

I can't believe it was won up the river in that dirty water, Lucas should have won this thing going away 5 fish or MLF format but he lost those giants this morning.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:38 PM

Congrats to Ott. I absolutely hate the format of the BPT. Hope more of the top guys come back to real tournament fishing.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:38 PM

You going to back up your accusations with any facts? Im betting not because you never do, clown[/quote]

Did I call how it would all play out in the end or what? Isn’t that exactly how it happened in the end? Ott catches nothing for 1.5 periods until a couple guys caught up and then in the closing minutes Ott lands 3 dinks for the win.

Is it really that hard to imagine that’s why it played out like it did? It goes to TV land in August! It will take 4 weeks to air the whole tournament. It’s all about the suspense and drama baby!
[/quote]

So youre saying Ott has no integrity and faked it all day?

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Ott is one of the best. He's proven that in every format he has ever fished, but it is ironic and eye opening that mighty Sam was won on a string of 2lbers. It really does highlight the major major differences in the two formats. In a 5 fish format Clausen beats Ott by around 5lbs today. Sphorer would have also beat Ott. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, but they are very different. Lots of traditional 5 fish guys will never like this format because of this exact scenario. So just to clarify Mark and Dubee, I'm not criticizing. I enjoyed watching. Just pointing out some facts as I see them.

I have ZERO issue with anyone’s honest feedback on watching MLF or BASS. That ending was flat crazy but that’s exactly what it’s built for, drama. In a BASS event you wouldn’t see any of that and you’d still be sitting there watching the weigh in roll...

Some people love it, others don’t but that drama is way more fun to me as a viewer. Can’t wait for Heavy Hitters!

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:47 PM

I have ZERO issue with anyone’s honest feedback on watching MLF or BASS. That ending was flat crazy but that’s exactly what it’s built for, drama. In a BASS event you wouldn’t see any of that and you’d still be sitting there watching the weigh in roll...

Some people love it, others don’t but that drama is way more fun to me as a viewer. Can’t wait for Heavy Hitters!

How did I predict the exact scenario of how this would play out a full 3 hours before the tournament ended? Replying to one of your messages nonetheless. Am I clairvoyant or is MLF that predictable?

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:48 PM

You can't really compare it that way because they are different formats and the guys that are consistently at the top have figured out how to play the game. 10-2lbers are just as good as 5-4lbers

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 09:49 PM

I have no problem with someone criticizing. I have no stake in it. I just don't like boobs who constantly post made up bs. I would feel the same way if they were doing that about any company
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 10:01 PM

I don't bass fish at all myself but I love watching the MLF format. I am all about action and numbers when I fish so I guess this is why I enjoy it
Posted By: J2H1

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 10:03 PM

I think the MLF format is the best. Each contestant knows where he stands and can change his strategy at any time. If you watch it, its like a race. You know the winner at the final gun. All the fish have been released immediately which reduces mortality rate. The fish aren't being trailered 30 or 40 miles to a weigh in site playing the drama game like a cheesy TV game show.

The smoke in the background is a controlled burn of the forest underbrush. The do this in every area periodically.
Posted By: mlatham

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 10:08 PM

Enjoyed watching all week. The guy on top of Lucas today is a turd. What the hell....

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 10:22 PM

Put me in the camp of just like watching live bass fishing. That being said, I do tend to like the immediate feedback and strategy the MLF creates. I think having both options is a great thing for bass fishing. Oh and I am as tired as everyone else having to wade through the [censored] spewed by one individual on here. Gets old.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 10:24 PM

I thought the last few minutes was a lot more exciting and interesting to see guys pitching a bait into places you just knew they going to get bit on every cast.......contrast that to guys walking across the stage and dumping a bag of fish on the scales.....
believe MLF has come up with a "better mousetrap" tournament format and certainly the economics of the fishermen sharing the TV,advertising and venue income is a much better scenario for those guys trying to make a living at fishing...add in the increased TV exposure for both the sponsors and the fishermen and it is just a better concept....
Posted By: 1442

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 11:12 PM

Dubee, you said
"Hey Warren, if I send you a baseball to replace the one Boyd stole. Will you quit posting all this made up nonsense and go play in your room"
Is that made up nonsense you just came up with or is Boyd really a thief who actually stole a baseball from BigO?

Then you say
"I have no problem with someone criticizing. I have no stake in it. I just don't like boobs who constantly post made up bs. I would feel the same way if they were doing that about any company"
Can you not see the hypocrisy in your responses to BigO?
It's pretty obvious to anyone who can read plain english that you are a "BOOB" who constantly posts made up bs.

I could sit and read BigO posts all day and enjoy every minute of it. He is sincere and very well spoken and I am glad he is here to be honest.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
I thought the last few minutes was a lot more exciting and interesting to see guys pitching a bait into places you just knew they going to get bit on every cast.......contrast that to guys walking across the stage and dumping a bag of fish on the scales.....
believe MLF has come up with a "better mousetrap" tournament format and certainly the economics of the fishermen sharing the TV,advertising and venue income is a much better scenario for those guys trying to make a living at fishing...add in the increased TV exposure for both the sponsors and the fishermen and it is just a better concept....

Can you clarify? Are you saying the MLF anglers fishing the “BPT” are paying entry fees to fish that circuit, but yet they still receive a regular income via a revenue sharing scheme where the incoming revenue derived from TV advertisements and venues comes back to the anglers in form of a tangible financial dividend?

Don’t conflate that tournament circuit that is recognized and recorded on the anglers achievement statistics with the other MLF entertainment product, “the cups” that are not recognized as being worthy of being recorded on an anglers achievement statistics. One is a fishing tournament, the other is a TV show depicting what happens at a fishing tournament. In that one, I would expect the guys who participate get paid a prevailing wage for actors in that genre of entertainment, at minimum, and then a revenue sharing scheme that covers royalties/licensing/advertisements

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
I don't bass fish at all myself but I love watching the MLF format. I am all about action and numbers when I fish so I guess this is why I enjoy it

I think that part of the point, I have watched pro tournaments since around 2007 and fish a little local stuff so I like watching both formats, it seems your die hard tournament anglers seem to prefer 5 fish almost always because thats what they do but that's a very small TV audience. You put your average sports viewer in front of a 5 fish derby and the MLF format they are going to prefer MLF.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by mlatham
Enjoyed watching all week. The guy on top of Lucas today is a turd. What the hell....

You should have seen the 5 on top of Ehler yesterday

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/26/21 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1442
Dubee, you said
"Hey Warren, if I send you a baseball to replace the one Boyd stole. Will you quit posting all this made up nonsense and go play in your room"
Is that made up nonsense you just came up with or is Boyd really a thief who actually stole a baseball from BigO?

Then you say
"I have no problem with someone criticizing. I have no stake in it. I just don't like boobs who constantly post made up bs. I would feel the same way if they were doing that about any company"
It's pretty obvious to anyone who can read plain english that you are a "BOOB" who constantly posts made up bs.

I could sit and read BigO posts all day and enjoy every minute of it. He is sincere and very well spoken and I am glad he is here to be honest.

There is absolutely nothing sincere about any of his post. There is no truth to any of his post. All he does is make up bs. And I am an absolute boob. I never said I wasn't
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Dubee, you said

Then you say

There is absolutely nothing sincere about any of his post. There is no truth to any of his post. All he does is make up bs. And I am an absolute boob. I never said I wasn't

You are worse than him! Give it a rest, you sound silly!

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Dubee, you said

Then you say

You are worse than him! Give it a rest, you sound silly!

Lmao ok

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 12:50 AM

Dubee, you said

Then you say

About 50% of what he says is true. While it is finally starting to wear on me a little he's entitled to his opinion too. Don't be a facebook fact checker and just ignore him if you disagree.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by bklem
Something big is on fire in the background of some of the shots! What the heck?

Controlled burning of underbrush on National Forest Land. cheers
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 01:29 AM

Adrian Avena posted a video on his Instagram story yesterday of an old timer in a john boat basically rubbing his rail as he passed by him hammer

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 01:43 AM

Well, “30,000 people with $1,000,000” in their pockets ready to spend would definitely be there to see it.

The world is digital. It just is, Big O. Nobody gives a flying fart about weigh ins. You tubes, instagrams, TV time is where the money is at. It’s been the future for a decade and Bass tournament fishing is finally catching up. Every other legitimate sports league in the world realizes TV and social media are the way of the future. Hell, it’s been more profitable for a decade.

Nobody in a position of decision making gives two sneezes about 300 people at a weigh in if you can put it in front of 300,000 people on TV.

Sponsors will make way more money via social media than showing tournaments on TV. Give it a rest.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Well, “30,000 people with $1,000,000” in their pockets ready to spend would definitely be there to see it.

The world is digital. It just is, Big O. Nobody gives a flying fart about weigh ins. You tubes, instagrams, TV time is where the money is at. It’s been the future for a decade and Bass tournament fishing is finally catching up. Every other legitimate sports league in the world realizes TV and social media are the way of the future. Hell, it’s been more profitable for a decade.

Nobody in a position of decision making gives two sneezes about 300 people at a weigh in if you can put it in front of 300,000 people on TV.

Sponsors will make way more money via social media than showing tournaments on TV. Give it a rest.

With all due respect, Duck, I am not even going to get into trying to rebut that nonsensical post. However, since you seem convinced of what you write, then surely you can list many examples of other “legitimate sports” that have forgone live spectator audiences for TV and social media exclusively. Let’s start with you naming 5, if you can’t name 5, then name 4, and if you can’t 4, then 3, and so on.... also notice I emphasized live... because I don’t know any apart from MLF that thinks there is more marketing value in a prerecorded broadcast 4-5 months after the event took place.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 02:35 AM

If that’s your opinion then tell me why certain sponsors have jumped ship. Also why did G-Man publicly state his were relieved that he was heading back to BASS? Just curious.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright

Adrian Avena posted a video on his Instagram story yesterday of an old timer in a john boat basically rubbing his rail as he passed by him hammer

The old guy lives right up in there and seemed to be respecting AA by paddling on by before firing up. cheers

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 06:17 PM

With all due respect, Duck, I am not even going to get into trying to rebut that nonsensical post. However, since you seem convinced of what you write, then surely you can list many examples of other “legitimate sports” that have forgone live spectator audiences for TV and social media exclusively. Let’s start with you naming 5, if you can’t name 5, then name 4, and if you can’t 4, then 3, and so on.... also notice I emphasized live... because I don’t know any apart from MLF that thinks there is more marketing value in a prerecorded broadcast 4-5 months after the event took place.

I am not saying any other sport is foregoing live spectators. I am saying the majority of the revenue comes from TV deals and other promotions as a rebuttal to your continued insistence that having a few thousand people at a weigh in is the end-all, be-all of success of pro sports. Most of the videos on Twitter the PGA puts out are highlights of players and are preceded by a short advertisement, which makes money for the PGA and allows fans to see cool shots on their phone while they’re going about their business. The vast majority of fans do NOT attend one specific game or tournament in person. There are only so many people that can attend, so there’s a cap on revenue to be made from in-person attendance. They watch it on TV, stream it or listen to it on the radio. If they can’t, they DVR it or watch highlights on social media.

You’re arguing that professional sports leagues have to have live audiences is ridiculous because the majority of their revenue comes from sports media rights, online promotion and merchandise. NFL stadiums average 70,000 ticket sales per game (basically selling out every game). But, you can’t grow when you’re already selling out, and there’s a breaking point when you start raising ticket and concession costs. The TV rights bring in $296 million for each team. They continue to go up every few years when contracts are renegotiated.

That is where every pro sports league makes its money, and that is my point. Bass fishing is incredibly hard to watch in person and you can’t (or shouldn’t) get too close to the anglers due to the nature of the sport. Sponsors get way more exposure from people viewing on TV streaming, or anglers posting on social media. That’s my point. You keep railing on and on about in person audiences, and that’s an important piece for a lot of sports, but the real exposure comes from people watching sports on TV or their other devices.

When I go to the Colonial, I can’t tell who made the shirt Ricky Fowler is wearing. When I watch on TV, I can clearly see he’s decked out in Puma gear. You think Puma pays him so a fraction of the people at golf tournaments who actually get close enough to him to see Puma on his hat might buy Puma merchandise? Or is it the 100 closeups the TV cameras capture of him that clearly show PUMA across his hat?

Here are revenue numbers for MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and PGA. The majority does not come from ticket or concession sales. MLF intentionally holds tournaments during the week and obviously created a tournament style that puts an emphasis on live scoring and drama, not a weigh in two hours and 60 miles after the event.

The point is, you continue to overemphasize BASS’ weigh ins as some miracle money maker. The exposure comes from more people watching, and that happens remotely for every sport since cable television was invented. It’s only grown more because of the Internet. Live audiences are important, but that’s not the only metric that matters, ESPECIALLY in a sport like bass fishing, and MLF is showing you can have a viable tournament trail without them being a major part of the pie.

“MLB estimates that 40% of revenue comes from tickets, concessions and other gate-related income.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...e-2020-mlb-season-get-really-really-ugly

“ A previous deal between the PGA Tour, CBS and NBC was valued at around $400 million, according to people familiar with the matter. PGA Tour officials are said to have negotiated an increase of at least 70% for the next rights pact, meaning the new cost could come to at least $680 million.”

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pga-tour-golf-rights-cbs-nbc-espn-1203527292/

(Ticket and concession sales aren’t going to magically increase 70% like TV revenues did.)

“TV accounts for most of the NBA’s revenue. For the 2016-2017 season, TNT and ESPN re-upped their contracts to an estimated $24 billion in total. The nine-year deal earns the NBA approximately $2.6 billion per year. Even with a total of 400-odd active players making an average of close to $6.7 million annually (as of 2019-20), national TV contracts generate enough revenue to cover salaries and then some.”

“You may be surprised that ticketing is actually not one of the primary sources of revenue for the NBA. It tends to lag behind some of the other revenue streams mentioned above.”

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/071415/how-nba-makes-money.asp

“The NFL earns the lion’s share of its money with TV deals. According to the Chicago Tribune, more than 50% of the league’s $15 billion annual revenue comes from TV deals.”

“On average, NFL stadiums seat about 70,000 people, and games usually sell out. This doesn’t leave much opportunity for growth. The average ticket price has increased by about 7% annually since the turn of the century. The average price for an NFL ticket cost about $30 in 2000 and increased to about $151 in 2020, but the added revenue from these increases are negligible when compared to revenue growth from TV.”

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/062515/how-nfl-makes-money.asp

“ Gate revenue is approximately 36.6% of the NHL’s entire revenue for a season (30% in baseball, 22% in NBA basketball, and 15% in the NFL). In contrast, the AHL generates 70-75% of its annual revenue from fans attending games.”

https://novacapsfans.com/2020/05/13/how-much-money-does-an-nhl-home-game-generate/

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 06:33 PM

If that’s your opinion then tell me why certain sponsors have jumped ship. Also why did G-Man publicly state his were relieved that he was heading back to BASS? Just curious.

I am not sure. Each business is different and has to find the right deal for their business model. I’m also unsure why that’s the case for Swindle. Originally he said he was returning to his home and what he was comfortable with. Perhaps his sponsors felt the same. Without context, it’s hard to understand.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 10:05 PM

... That’s my point. You keep railing on and on about in person audiences, and that’s an important piece for a lot of sports, but the real exposure comes from people watching sports on TV or their other devices...

All that you listed would not have the TV or other social media audiences if it wasn’t for them first catering to the spectators that attend “live” events. Not one. As a matter of fact there has been much written in 2020/21 about how the TV audience for all sports has gone down significantly since COVID became a thing, and I would opine that has a direct correlation with those sports not being able to have and entertain spectators in attendance during their live events. Despite the challenges for fishing tournaments and in attendance spectators being able to view the action, the tournament scene for years has always drawn crowds to the boat ramps at the conclusion for people to see the catches made by the anglers. The weigh-in is part of the event spectators can be part of, and minus that people start to lose interest in the sport all together. As evidenced by what’s transpired in all the other sports during COVID.

MLF provides nothing for spectators/fans and it’s LIVE action is very limited to their website exclusively and is considered unreliable because it is totally dependent on the quality of the customers connection to the website. They seem t think there is an appetite for and apply just as much value (sold to potential sponsors) to broadcast of pre-recorded tournaments that took place many months ago, and I opine that could not be further from the truth.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 11:02 PM

“Considered unreliable”

roflmao

In-person attendance is completely reliant on people’s willingness and ability to attend, rather than watch on TV or stream.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/27/21 11:22 PM

“Considered unreliable”

roflmao

In-person attendance is completely reliant on people’s willingness and ability to attend, rather than watch on TV or stream.

BASS has proven “people’s willingness and ability to attend” for years and years now. How else do you explain the crowds they consistently bring to their tournaments? Not to leave without mention, their once a year Classic event. How do you explain it? And they’ve been broadcasting their events LIVE since before the internet - go figure!

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/28/21 12:18 AM

I will say this, quite a few times the announcers talked about the score tracker and who was so far behind or whatever and the score tracker wasnt even close to what they said. At first I thought, well they will show a guy catch a fish soon and it will catch up but it didnt happen. It just seemed weird. There may a good reason but it does seem they may be trying to create some last minute drama

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/28/21 01:31 AM

“Considered unreliable”

roflmao

BASS has proven “people’s willingness and ability to attend” for years and years now. How else do you explain the crowds they consistently bring to their tournaments? Not to leave without mention, their once a year Classic event. How do you explain it? And they’ve been broadcasting their events LIVE since before the internet - go figure!

Again, the money to be made is in TV and other media. I don’t know how else to explain it to an obtuse fanboy.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/29/21 04:39 PM

[/quote] I am not sure. Each business is different and has to find the right deal for their business model. I’m also unsure why that’s the case for Swindle. Originally he said he was returning to his home and what he was comfortable with. Perhaps his sponsors felt the same. Without context, it’s hard to understand. [/quote]

That's fair enough. I am genuinely curious myself. Probably won't ever know the true reasons.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/29/21 05:10 PM

I am not sure. Each business is different and has to find the right deal for their business model. I’m also unsure why that’s the case for Swindle. Originally he said he was returning to his home and what he was comfortable with. Perhaps his sponsors felt the same. Without context, it’s hard to understand. [/quote]

That's fair enough. I am genuinely curious myself. Probably won't ever know the true reasons.
[/quote]
From the outside looking in he seems like an idiot savant.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/29/21 10:20 PM

cheers

I doubt we’ll ever know the true reasons. Probably wouldn’t help anyone out in the long run. Never know what might happen and if you’ll ever want to change again or, hell, another pandemic might cause one tour to fold completely.

Re: MLF Rayburn - 03/30/21 03:06 AM

cheers

I doubt we’ll ever know the true reasons. Probably wouldn’t help anyone out in the long run. Never know what might happen and if you’ll ever want to change again or, hell, another pandemic might cause one tour to fold completely.

cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum