Texas Fishing Forum

Which Spinning Rod?

Posted By: FXfromTx

Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 04:20 AM

I’m wanting to upgrade my spinning rod to get more sensitivity and feel. A buddy has a St Croix Legend Tournament Bass that is great, but I have nothing to compare it to except Hookspit Performance Rods. I’m considering the St Croix LTB, Dobyns Sierra / Champion XP, or GLoomis E6X. I’m not much of a spinning gear guy so I’m clueless on all of them. Thought I’d see if anybody here had personal experience to compare some of these rods or had other recommendations. Thanks!
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 12:05 PM

Check out Impulse rods, Lance makes a quality rod right here in Texas and they are reasonably priced.
Posted By: senko 10lb

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 12:12 PM

What’s the primary technique you will be using
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 12:37 PM

Match the action to the purpose, and get a custom rod with a graphite Tennessee handle. You'll love it.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 02:25 PM

I can't speak to the others, but I have a Dobyns Champion XP DC702SF that I use specifically for drop shots that I honestly love to use, and I do not like spinning rods. You can get more sensitive with Loomis and even higher priced Dobyns, but I do not think you would be disappointed with the XP line.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 02:32 PM

I fish a shaky head and ned rig a lot with spinning tackle. If price is not a concern, I bought a Loomis GLX from someone on here a while back that is VERY sensitive. Not quite as expensive but also a very nice rod was a St. Croix mojo bass that I had. Both have soft tips with plenty of back bone and are very light rods letting you feel every little bump. The Loomis is much more sensitive and even takes some getting used to to figure out what is bottom and what is soft bite, you feel everything.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by senko 10lb

Almost exclusively dropshot. Thinking a 7’-7’3” ModFast but open to suggestions.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by FXfromTx
Originally Posted by senko 10lb

Almost exclusively dropshot. Thinking a 7’-7’3” ModFast but open to suggestions.

Nrx 882s dsr is amazing its a true drop shot rod though, I would call it a open water rod as it bends to the handle so you cant really turn a fish say away from grass, dock etc.

Nrx 872s jwr is a great rod more to the length you want. I use it it for wacky, drop shot, weightless flukes senko trick worm etc.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoordude
I can't speak to the others, but I have a Dobyns Champion XP DC702SF that I use specifically for drop shots that I honestly love to use, and I do not like spinning rods. You can get more sensitive with Loomis and even higher priced Dobyns, but I do not think you would be disappointed with the XP line.

cheers
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 05:37 PM

Sensitivity = Money, the more money your willing to spend the more sensitivity may be offered. With the dropshot technique some of the sensitivity can be offset by using braid as your main line. I have not fished any of the specific rods you listed but brand wise I would go St. Croix as they cut their teeth in the spinning market. I have used a less sensitive model in the St. Croix and it was a quality very usable pond dropshot rod.
Posted By: TX Bass Ninja

Re: Which Spinning Rod? - 01/12/21 05:41 PM

The Fenwick World Class Series of rods are bar none the best spinning rods I have ever used. Super light, very sensitive, and comfortable to fish with. It retails for $300 so its in a great price range between those mid-tier and upper tier products. I would seriously consider you take a look at them. Personally, the 7' ML is my favorite. I use it for finesse swimbaiting, drop shotting, and other light weight applications.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum